From: cra...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 20:42:54 -0400
 by: cra...@verizon.net - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 00:42 UTC

How hard is it to rig a wireless monitor and keyboard to my Win7 to
use in another room? I've read a little about the gear but the ads
don't provide me enough practical info on how to hook it up and have
any confidence it would work if I went ahead and ordered it. My
desktop homebuilt PC is fairly ancient (but modern enough to run Win7)
if that makes any difference. Doesn't have an HDMI port.

Re: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse

<u7thsb$3k1jv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6501&group=alt.windows7.general#6501

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 23:12:56 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:12 UTC

crasso@verizon.net wrote:
> How hard is it to rig a wireless monitor and keyboard to my Win7 to
> use in another room? I've read a little about the gear but the ads
> don't provide me enough practical info on how to hook it up and have
> any confidence it would work if I went ahead and ordered it. My
> desktop homebuilt PC is fairly ancient (but modern enough to run Win7)
> if that makes any difference. Doesn't have an HDMI port.

They should be easy to set up. HDMI needed. Install the drivers and
turn it on.
IMO, a wireless monitor should be great for doing email but worthless
for gaming.

Re: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse

<u7vd2g$3q1me$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=alt.windows7.general#6509

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:03:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 21:03 UTC

On 7/3/2023 12:12 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>> How hard is it to rig a wireless monitor and keyboard to my Win7 to
>> use in another room? I've read a little about the gear but the ads
>> don't provide me enough practical info on how to hook it up and have
>> any confidence it would work if I went ahead and ordered it. My
>> desktop homebuilt PC is fairly ancient (but modern enough to run Win7)
>> if that makes any difference. Doesn't have an HDMI port.
>
> They should be easy to set up.  HDMI needed. Install the drivers and turn it on.
> IMO, a wireless monitor should be great for doing email but worthless for gaming.

A 60GHz Wigig wireless monitor connection can do 4K uncompressed,
but not at a long distance. Generally, 60GHz only works within the same room.
It cannot go through a wall. This is 4K @ 30FPS, not full 4K @ 60. 1920x1080 @ 60p (progressive)
would be no problem for it. This is a Canadian web page, so adjust price for USD.

https://www.amazon.ca/IOGEAR-Ultra-Fast-Projector-Uncompressed-Streaming/dp/B07NFV2JN1

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/06/05/iogear-ultra-fast-60ghz-wireless-4k-uhd-video-extender-review/

Antenna Type: Printed Circuit Board

https://techsterweb.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/iogear/

"That was about as far away as I could get and still be in the house. Also, it wasn’t directly
line of sight, as there was a wall blocking the view. There was a doorway a couple of feet away,
but there was no way for me to line the transmitter and receiver up directly. So I was expecting
less than stellar performance.

But I was wrong. The transmitter and receiver connected with no issues, and Linux
detected a new display. Looking at the display settings, it was 4K.
"

I don't know if Google will find you a technical article on the
thing or not. Maybe only influencer articles are allowed.
Even Bing only shows seller sites.

Paul

Re: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse

<u7visn$3qlak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=alt.windows7.general#6511

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:42:26 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:42 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 7/3/2023 12:12 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>>> How hard is it to rig a wireless monitor and keyboard to my Win7 to
>>> use in another room? I've read a little about the gear but the ads
>>> don't provide me enough practical info on how to hook it up and have
>>> any confidence it would work if I went ahead and ordered it. My
>>> desktop homebuilt PC is fairly ancient (but modern enough to run Win7)
>>> if that makes any difference. Doesn't have an HDMI port.
>>
>> They should be easy to set up.  HDMI needed. Install the drivers and
>> turn it on.
>> IMO, a wireless monitor should be great for doing email but worthless
>> for gaming.
>
> A 60GHz Wigig wireless monitor connection can do 4K uncompressed,
> but not at a long distance. Generally, 60GHz only works within the same
> room.
> It cannot go through a wall. This is 4K @ 30FPS, not full 4K @ 60.
> 1920x1080 @ 60p (progressive)
> would be no problem for it. This is a Canadian web page, so adjust price
> for USD.
>
> https://www.amazon.ca/IOGEAR-Ultra-Fast-Projector-Uncompressed-Streaming/dp/B07NFV2JN1
>

> https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/06/05/iogear-ultra-fast-60ghz-wireless-4k-uhd-video-extender-review/
>

>    Antenna Type: Printed Circuit Board
>
> https://techsterweb.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/iogear/
>
>    "That was about as far away as I could get and still be in the
> house. Also, it wasn’t directly
>     line of sight, as there was a wall blocking the view. There was a
> doorway a couple of feet away,
>     but there was no way for me to line the transmitter and receiver up
> directly. So I was expecting
>     less than stellar performance.
>
>     But I was wrong. The transmitter and receiver connected with no
> issues, and Linux
>     detected a new display. Looking at the display settings, it was 4K.
>    "
>
> I don't know if Google will find you a technical article on the
> thing or not. Maybe only influencer articles are allowed.
> Even Bing only shows seller sites.
>
>    Paul

Nice! Did not know of that device.
60 GHz should do gaming.
May still be a bit of lag though due to the RF conversions and back.

Re: wireless monitors and keyboard/mouse

<i6o6aihl98ki5r4fgdqah6fs3rbiofcc9l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6512&group=alt.windows7.general#6512

From: John B. ...@nowhere
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 20:05:16 -0400
 by: John B. ...@nowhere - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:05 UTC

On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:03:12 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/3/2023 12:12 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>>> How hard is it to rig a wireless monitor and keyboard to my Win7 to
>>> use in another room? I've read a little about the gear but the ads
>>> don't provide me enough practical info on how to hook it up and have
>>> any confidence it would work if I went ahead and ordered it. My
>>> desktop homebuilt PC is fairly ancient (but modern enough to run Win7)
>>> if that makes any difference. Doesn't have an HDMI port.
>>
>> They should be easy to set up.  HDMI needed. Install the drivers and turn it on.
>> IMO, a wireless monitor should be great for doing email but worthless for gaming.
>
>A 60GHz Wigig wireless monitor connection can do 4K uncompressed,
>but not at a long distance. Generally, 60GHz only works within the same room.
>It cannot go through a wall. This is 4K @ 30FPS, not full 4K @ 60. 1920x1080 @ 60p (progressive)
>would be no problem for it. This is a Canadian web page, so adjust price for USD.
>
>https://www.amazon.ca/IOGEAR-Ultra-Fast-Projector-Uncompressed-Streaming/dp/B07NFV2JN1
>
>https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/06/05/iogear-ultra-fast-60ghz-wireless-4k-uhd-video-extender-review/
>
> Antenna Type: Printed Circuit Board
>
>https://techsterweb.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/iogear/
>
> "That was about as far away as I could get and still be in the house. Also, it wasn’t directly
> line of sight, as there was a wall blocking the view. There was a doorway a couple of feet away,
> but there was no way for me to line the transmitter and receiver up directly. So I was expecting
> less than stellar performance.
>
> But I was wrong. The transmitter and receiver connected with no issues, and Linux
> detected a new display. Looking at the display settings, it was 4K.
> "
>
>I don't know if Google will find you a technical article on the
>thing or not. Maybe only influencer articles are allowed.
>Even Bing only shows seller sites.
>
> Paul

Thanks a bunch, Paul. I find I DO have an HDMI port on the back of my
flat screen to play with. Didn't remember it was there. Dunno if its
in or out though. Doubt I can find the manual for it. But the sticking
point is price. The project isn't worth $500 to me.