computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

SubjectAuthor
* OT: NVMe ReplacementZaidy036
+* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementJack Webb
|`- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementJack Webb
+- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementPaul
+* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementT
|`* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementT
| `* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementZaidy036
|  `* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementT
|   `* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementZaidy036
|    `- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementT
+* Re: OT: NVMe Replacementwasbit
|`- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementChris
+* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementWade Garrett
|+* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementPaul
||`* Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementBill
|| `- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementBill
|`- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementZaidy036
`- Re: OT: NVMe ReplacementZaidy036

1
OT: NVMe Replacement

<tccnlt$1vfe7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64986&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64986

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT: NVMe Replacement
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 22:48:29 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:48 UTC

My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.

On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
faster on my older PC:
* Dell XPS435 MIT
* Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
* Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
* Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date

GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1

Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
original SSD?

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcco2f$1vfso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64987&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64987

From: myopin...@least.com (Jack Webb)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT: NVMe Replacement
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:55:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jack Webb - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:55 UTC

Zaidy036 <Eric@Bloch.com> wrote:

> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
> faster on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
> original SSD?

It's blazing fast even if on an add-in card. Of course that assumes you know
what you're doing and buy a real NVMe like a Samsung 980 Pro. Remember, you
can take it with you.

The only problem with an add-in card is out of Windows performance, like at
the DOS prompt. But who even knows what that is nowadays. It makes very
little difference. But your next motherboard should include at least two NVMe
slots.

Envy me!

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcco4n$1vfso$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64988&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64988

From: myopin...@least.com (Jack Webb)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:56:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jack Webb - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:56 UTC

BTW... I always put little heatsinks on the NVMe chips.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcctsl$20rrt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64989&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64989

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:34:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 04:34 UTC

On 8/2/2022 10:48 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or faster on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the original SSD?

You can start by showing me the NVMe sled connector on that motherboard :-)

I don't see a place to plug in an NVMe. Only my newest machine (Zen3),
built last year, has a connector for it. The X79 (8 years old?) does not.

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Dell-Motherboard-R849J-Supports/dp/B005408SN2

Yours is an X58 LGA1366 with ICH10 Southbridge.

CPU ------------ 6 mem slots
X58 ------------ video slot
| DMI
ICH10 ---------- SATA ports... PCI

Whereas modern motherboards might be like this.

+--- "fast" NVMe (high end CPU has the best bus)

video slot -- CPU ------------ mem slots

| DMI
PCH ---------- SATA ports...

+--- "slow" NVMe (limit via DMI bottleneck)

Now, the HEDT motherboards, they had wiring for
multiple video card slots. This allows room for
plugging in expansion devices. In the case of the
Zen3, I could use the GPU inside the CPU to drive
the screen, then the x16 video slot is freed up
for flash storage. (My Zen3 is not an HEDT, it's a gutless
x16 plus x4 design, and not a hero for expansion.)

Very few NVMe expansion cards have boot capability.
If the BIOS has NVMe support, then you can add a card
that has little more than PCIe wiring to an NVMe sled.
My Zen3 mobo has NVMe boot capability, so I could (maybe)
stick an Asus multi-NVMe card in my video slot.

For motherboards like your X58, only an NVMe RAID
has a boot capability, and it makes installing Win10
or Win11 an adventure (as the driver is not on the
MSFT DVD). If you stick a single NVMe on this card, then
the card should be able to run JBOD (no RAID array).

HighPoint SSD7202 M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 RAID Controller (Low-Profile, Bootable) $285

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1568655-REG/highpoint_ssd7202_low_profile_bootable_2x_dedicated.html/overview

Every time I read the description, I get nervous. A
lot of money stacked on whether someone knows how
to do a driver, as well as register an INT0x13 device
with a UEFI BIOS (need "read" support at BIOS level to boot).

But to plan for that, you have to check how many
x16 slots you have, how many x4 (if any), the x1 slots
being almost useless for a storage project for the C: drive.

My X79 has some slots, but some of the slots are blocked
by the existing video card, leaving perhaps just the
one slot that could take the Highpoint. I have a *lot*
of add-on cards, fighting for their chance in that one slot.

Not all Highpoint products of this sort, boot. Booting
is the exception, not the rule. Most vanilla PCIe NVMe
expansion cards cannot boot. They're only good for
secondary storage, and then, who cares.

You could stick an NVMe into a USB3.2 tray -- as long as the
USB3.2 connector has the power for it. And then, does Windows 10
support having the C: drive on such a contraption ? Maybe "T" knows.

Some USB NVMe trays have a USB-C connector on them and this may
allow 5V @ 3A of power.

The closest thing to a USB3.2 Type A, is this device recently reviewed.
It's only benefit, is size in your pocket. Otherwise, it's a lot
of money for a hood ornament.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17486/kingston-dtmax-ufd-series-review

They did a USB3.2 Type C first, for the "Apple Users". Making a Type A
is for peasants like myself :-)

To get a decent port on the X79, I use an expansion card. And even then,
that's USB3.2 single lane 1GB/sec max. I have not added any additional
toys to the fleet, as collecting hood ornaments is for rich people.

But first, we have to know whether Win10 would tolerate a boot off
a USB bus. In the old days, the "BootBusExtender" hack was required.

Your X58 has much in common with my X79. Just doesn't have all
the gubbins for fun. The Zen3 I got, I specifically bought a low-end SKU
with hobbled interfaces, as it was not intended to be an "expensive" build.

plus removing the video card to make room for it. That's why the
nature of the remaining slots is so important (not a lot of vid card
options today, not likely to find a x1 PCIe video card as such).

The mining people use x1 extender cables to mining video cards,
and placing the video card on the table next to the PC, as an "option".
But on an X58, the PCIe standard supplied is not all that fast (PCIe Rev2?).
Run GPUZ GPU-Z.2.47.0.exe from Techspot and there is a speed test in the window.
The base readout is really good enough -- making the render work is a time waster.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

https://i.postimg.cc/q7KN80Th/bus-speed-test-pure-fun.gif

Paul

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcd8ae$23aan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64992&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64992

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:32:28 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 07:32 UTC

On 8/2/22 19:48, Zaidy036 wrote:
> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
> faster on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
> original SSD?

Do you have a usb C or usb 3.2 port on your computer?

If so:
https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=311

And clone away with Samsung Data Migration:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcdd7p$24h79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64993&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64993

From: wasbit(r...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 09:55:59 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 08:55 UTC

"Zaidy036" <Eric@Bloch.com> wrote in message
> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement soon.
> I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or faster
> on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the original
> SSD?

Having tried (& failed) to upgrade an ancient PC to NVMe with a PCIe to M.2
adaptor , here's what I found out.

M.2 comes in 2 variants, NVMe & SSD with NVMe being much faster.
The motherboard needs to support Uefi & GPT not bios & MBR.

In the end I bought a recon Dell 3050 Micro. In hindsight a 3050 SFF would
have been better especially if you don't want to use the onboard graphics.

IIRC the speed of NVMe was 10x faster.

HTH

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcdj7q$260kr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64994&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64994

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 03:38:48 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:38 UTC

On 8/3/22 00:32, T wrote:
> On 8/2/22 19:48, Zaidy036 wrote:
>> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
>> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>>
>> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
>> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
>> faster on my older PC:
>> * Dell XPS435 MIT
>> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
>> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
>> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>>
>> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>>
>> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
>> original SSD?
>
> Do you have a usb C or usb 3.2 port on your computer?
>
> If so:
>     https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=311
>
> And clone away with Samsung Data Migration:
>
>     http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

I missed the part about the original disk being
a SATA M2 drive. Do you have an NVMe slot?
If your motherboard supports GPT and UEFI, an
add on NVMe bootable card will work.
Be careful, most add on cards are m2 sata, not NVMe.
Make sure the add on card is bootable.
Tip: go to
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
and install the NVMe driver BEFORE cloning.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcdthp$28ku6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64996&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64996

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:34:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s+nSadDae756B5sKc+YqZhraZOc=
 by: Chris - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:34 UTC

wasbit <wasbit(remove)@nowhere.com> wrote:
> "Zaidy036" <Eric@Bloch.com> wrote in message
>> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement soon.
>> I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>>
>> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
>> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or faster
>> on my older PC:
>> * Dell XPS435 MIT
>> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
>> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
>> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>>
>> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>>
>> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the original
>> SSD?
>
> Having tried (& failed) to upgrade an ancient PC to NVMe with a PCIe to M.2
> adaptor , here's what I found out.
>
> M.2 comes in 2 variants, NVMe & SSD with NVMe being much faster.
> The motherboard needs to support Uefi & GPT not bios & MBR.

This is key. If you get the wrong type then your NVMe won't be bootable.

Given the age of your machine you may have to stick with a SATA SSD.
Without an M.2 interface you're unlikely to benefit from an NVMe anyway.

> In the end I bought a recon Dell 3050 Micro. In hindsight a 3050 SFF would
> have been better especially if you don't want to use the onboard graphics.
>
> IIRC the speed of NVMe was 10x faster.
>
> HTH

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tce5kn$vgi$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64997&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64997

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 11:52:55 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:52 UTC

On 8/2/22 10:48 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
> faster on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
> original SSD?

Unless the issue is it's getting full, why does it need to be replaced
and how did you determine that?

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tceb3h$1ngt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64998&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64998

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:26:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 17:26 UTC

On 8/3/2022 11:52 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 8/2/22 10:48 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
>> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>>
>> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or faster on my older PC:
>> * Dell XPS435 MIT
>> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
>> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
>> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>>
>> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>>
>> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the original SSD?
>

> Unless the issue is it's getting full, why does it need to be replaced and how did you determine that?

SSD drives have "wear life" and you're supposed to check
once a year or so, it's not about to wear out. If you check
at regular intervals, maybe 1% of life is missing, from one
check to the next.

The information is kept in SMART. For every session, the SSD tracks
all sorts of stats.

The ten year old version of HDTune, does not have a decoder
for that part of SMART. You need a newer tool, such as a
Samsung Toolkit, to access your storage device.

It's not hard to abuse an SSD. You could write a program
which beats the piss out of the SSD, go on vacation leaving the
computer running, and when you come home, Windows has crashed because
"delayed write failure". An individual in one of the hardware groups,
left his laptop running while he was on vacation, and one corner
of the laptop melted. While it may be important to leave
your security cameras running while you're at the cottage,
there could be a tiny risk associated with unattended operation.

Intel SSDs, like a 545, have the worst policy. When they hit the
wear limit, both reads and writes stop. If you haven't made
a backup, you're screwed. When buying SSDs, always check the
manufacturer policy on purposeful brickage. I have some
545s here :-) The Intel thinking is "if the storage
cannot be reliable, why have storage at all?".

Some policies might be:

1) Read and write stop (Intel brand)
2) Write stops, you can still back it up with a Macrium CD.
3) Some drives do not give a rats ass, and rely on the
user backing up their data before the drive "bricks from
critical data loss". If the critical sector is lost, the
mapping of sectors may have been in there. And the drive
could end up as so much jelly.

To read the SMART, takes a native path. For a SATA SSD, it would be
on a SATA port. If you use a USB to SATA adapter, the wear info
may be inaccessible.

Even an NVMe sled on PCIe bus, has a wear indicator. And
all the flash devices have a wear life rating. Like 600 TBW,
which is 600 writes to each flash location on a 1TB flash-based drive.

Hard drives, cheap ones, have wear behavior too, but it's not indicated
in a useful way. Just the error rate goes up maybe. This is one reason
some of the drives have aggressive head park behavior. On my WinXP machine,
two of the HDD there were like that, and were a pain in the ass. The
heroic drive, the heads stayed loaded at all times, and the platter
density and flying height had no wear at all. None. Zero. The
scan was as clean as the day it was new, after 60,000 hours operation.

Paul

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<EzAGK.850555$X_i.310886@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64999&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#64999

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:06:57 -0400
 by: Bill - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:06 UTC

On 8/3/2022 1:26 PM, Paul wrote:

> Intel SSDs, like a 545, have the worst policy. When they hit the
> wear limit, both reads and writes stop. If you haven't made
> a backup, you're screwed. When buying SSDs, always check the
> manufacturer policy on purposeful brickage. I have some
> 545s here :-) The Intel thinking is "if the storage
> cannot be reliable, why have storage at all?".

I bought an Intel 730 SSD (500GB) seven and one-half years ago which
uses MLC tecnology (because I read at the time that MLC was "the best
one to get").
I just checked, and the Intel app says I have 99% of the lifetime left.
Of course, I am not particularly demanding with regard to my use of the
drive even though I use it everyday. And it always indicates 99%--maybe
it's broke! %-)

Seriously, I have had other Intel SSDs before this one, and none of them
have ever given me a problem. On occasion, the SSD will "stop using"
certain cells (cells?--my word). I just looked, and Amazon is selling
this drive right now for about $300. After having just consulted a list
I made at the time, I see that paid $200 for it when new on "Black
Friday". Admittedly, I think that my next drive will probably be a
Samsung NVMe (Pro). Evidentally, it will read and write about 14 times
as fast, and it is around $129. And that's the 1 TB version! I think I
remember paying about $160 to "upgrade" the Western-Digital Drive in my
first Dell computer from 4 to 6 GB. In retrospect, I wouldn't have done
it. :-)

In any event, Intel makes some good SSDs. I with them better luck than
they seem to be having with their new ARC discrete graphics cards!

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<BBAGK.850556$X_i.456071@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65000&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65000

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:09:03 -0400
 by: Bill - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:09 UTC

On 8/3/2022 4:06 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 8/3/2022 1:26 PM, Paul wrote:
>
>> Intel SSDs, like a 545, have the worst policy. When they hit the
>> wear limit, both reads and writes stop. If you haven't made
>> a backup, you're screwed. When buying SSDs, always check the
>> manufacturer policy on purposeful brickage. I have some
>> 545s here :-) The Intel thinking is "if the storage
>> cannot be reliable, why have storage at all?".
>
> I bought an Intel 730 SSD (500GB) seven and one-half years ago which
> uses MLC tecnology (because I read at the time that MLC was "the best
> one to get").
> I just checked, and the Intel app says I have 99% of the lifetime left.
> Of course, I am not particularly demanding with regard to my use of the
> drive even though I use it everyday.  And it always indicates 99%--maybe
> it's broke! %-)
>
> Seriously, I have had other Intel SSDs before this one, and none of them
> have ever given me a problem. On occasion, the SSD will "stop using"
> certain cells (cells?--my word).  I just looked, and Amazon is selling
> this drive right now for about $300. After having just consulted a list
> I made at the time, I see that  paid $200 for it when new on "Black
> Friday". Admittedly, I think that my next drive will probably be a
> Samsung NVMe (Pro).  Evidentally, it will read and write about 14 times
> as fast, and it is around $129.  And that's the 1 TB version!  I think I
> remember paying about $160 to "upgrade" the Western-Digital Drive in my
> first Dell computer from 4 to 6 GB. In retrospect, I wouldn't have done
> it. :-)
>
> In any event, Intel makes some good SSDs.  I with them better luck than
> they seem to be having with their new ARC discrete graphics cards!

P.S. I think I may have got the price of Samsung's drive wrong, but I
think it's still around $200. I'll look closer when I am ready to buy.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcem2v$2f3gs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65001&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65001

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:33:33 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:33 UTC

On 8/3/2022 11:52 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 8/2/22 10:48 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
>> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
>> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>>
>> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
>> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
>> faster on my older PC:
>> * Dell XPS435 MIT
>> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
>> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
>> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>>
>> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>>
>> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
>> original SSD?
>

> Unless the issue is it's getting full, why does it need to be replaced
> and how did you determine that?

I run Hard Disk Sentinel weekly and watch HDD and SSD conditions. SSD
has been going down over time and is now 69% showing Power On time 2830
hours since Jan 10 2010 and estimated remaining life 69 days.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcemql$2f9dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65002&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65002

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:46:13 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:46 UTC

On 8/3/2022 6:38 AM, T wrote:
> On 8/3/22 00:32, T wrote:
>> On 8/2/22 19:48, Zaidy036 wrote:
>>> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
>>> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>>>
>>> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
>>> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
>>> faster on my older PC:
>>> * Dell XPS435 MIT
>>> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
>>> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
>>> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>>>
>>> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>>>
>>> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
>>> original SSD?
>>
>> Do you have a usb C or usb 3.2 port on your computer?
>>
>> If so:
>>      https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=311
>>
>> And clone away with Samsung Data Migration:
>>

>> http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
>>

> I missed the part about the original disk being
> a SATA M2 drive.   Do you have an NVMe slot?
> If your motherboard supports GPT and UEFI, an
> add on NVMe bootable card will work.
>
> Be careful, most add on cards are m2 sata, not NVMe.
> Make sure the add on card is bootable.
>
> Tip: go to
>     http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
> and install the NVMe driver BEFORE cloning.

I have a Sabrent enclosure
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>,
a USB C cable to connect to my USB 3 card, and Macrium Reflect.

Cloned the C:\ to the NMVe and rebooted using USB and, to my surprise,
it worked but was not any faster than the SSD 840 EVO.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcen6j$2fcf5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65003&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65003

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:52:33 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:52 UTC

On 8/2/2022 10:48 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> My Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device(SATA) will need replacement
> soon. I have a Samsung 980 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe available.
>
> On-line sources indicate an exchange can be done with an inexpensive
> adapter but I am not sure if the results would be the same speed or
> faster on my older PC:
> * Dell XPS435 MIT
> * Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz and 12 GB RAM
> * Two Monitors with 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
> * Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date
>
> GPU-Z gives Bus Interface PCLe x 16 1.1 @ x 16.1.1
>
> Would the NVMe replacement give the same or faster speed than the
> original SSD?

Wow, thanks everyone for responding good info.

Now the choice is mine to either get a new internal SSD to replace the
Samsung SSD 840 for $ or a new PC with Win 11 and internal NVMe for $$$.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tceren$2ggi5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65005&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65005

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:05:09 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:05 UTC

On 8/3/22 13:46, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 8/3/2022 6:38 AM, T wrote:

>>> Do you have a usb C or usb 3.2 port on your computer?
>>>
>>> If so:
>>>      https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=311
>>>
>>> And clone away with Samsung Data Migration:
>>>
>>> http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
>>>

>> I missed the part about the original disk being
>> a SATA M2 drive.   Do you have an NVMe slot?
>> If your motherboard supports GPT and UEFI, an
>> add on NVMe bootable card will work.
>>
>> Be careful, most add on cards are m2 sata, not NVMe.
>> Make sure the add on card is bootable.
>>
>> Tip: go to
>>
>> http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
>> and install the NVMe driver BEFORE cloning.
>
> I have a Sabrent enclosure
> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>,
> a USB C cable to connect to my USB 3 card, and Macrium Reflect.
>
> Cloned the C:\ to the NMVe and rebooted using USB and, to my surprise,
> it worked but was not any faster than the SSD 840 EVO.

If the NVMe drive is in the USB enclosure, that will
be the case. USB is slower that a built in NVMe
slot on your motherboard.
Here is an add on card:
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SLG3-2M2.php
Make user your motherboard supports gpt and UEFI before
springing for the adapter.

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcf5ku$2itjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65007&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65007

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:59:10 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 00:59 UTC

UEFI no: old Dell bought 8/28/09

Re: OT: NVMe Replacement

<tcf65q$2j255$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65009&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#65009

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 18:08:10 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 01:08 UTC

On 8/3/22 17:59, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 8/3/2022 6:05 PM, T wrote:

>>> I have a Sabrent enclosure
>>> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>,
>>> a USB C cable to connect to my USB 3 card, and Macrium Reflect.
>>>
>>> Cloned the C:\ to the NMVe and rebooted using USB and, to my
>>> surprise, it worked but was not any faster than the SSD 840 EVO.
>>

>> If the NVMe drive is in the USB enclosure, that will
>> be the case. USB is slower that a built in NVMe
>> slot on your motherboard.
>>
>> Here is an add on card:
>>
>> https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SLG3-2M2.php
>>
>> Make user your motherboard supports gpt and UEFI before
>> springing for the adapter.
>>

> UEFI no: old Dell bought 8/28/09

Time to get a new computer. Do you have a
birthday or anniversary coming up?