"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Backup machine

SubjectAuthor
* Backup machinepinnerite
+* Re: Backup machineEdmund
|`* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
| `* Re: Backup machineEdmund
|  `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|   +* Re: Backup machinePaul
|   |`* Re: Backup machineNic
|   | `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|   |  `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|   |   `* Re: Backup machinePaul
|   |    `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|   |     `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|   |      `- Re: Backup machineNic
|   `* Re: Backup machinepinnerite
|    `- Re: Backup machinepinnerite
+* Re: Backup machineNic
|`- Re: Backup machineBig Al
+- Re: Backup machineMark Bourne
`- Re: Backup machineJeff Layman

1
Backup machine

<20230721135120.36a59f10f1dcd519398713f2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6501&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6501

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Backup machine
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:51:20 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:51 UTC

Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.

It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.

I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.

So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.

I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.

Exactly the same thing happened.

This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.

Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.

This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.

Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.

Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?

Any (non-snyde) suggestions?

TIA Alan

Re: Backup machine

<u9e1u2$38rfo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6502&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6502

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Backup machine
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:41:22 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:41 UTC

On 7/21/23 14:51, pinnerite wrote:
> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>
> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>
> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>
> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
>
> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>
> Exactly the same thing happened.
>
> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>
> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>
> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>
> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>
> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>
> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?
>
> TIA Alan

If I understand you correctly, you encountered drive issues with three
different HDrives when mounted in one computer.....

IMO that points to a computer failure.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Backup machine

<D5zuM.164060$mPI2.108784@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6505&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6505

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:18:27 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:18 UTC

On 7/21/23 8:51 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>
> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>
> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>
> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
>
> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>
> Exactly the same thing happened.
>
> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>
> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>
> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>
> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>
> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>
> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?
>
> TIA Alan

Try using a windows machine, maybe run a chkdisk or look at the
partitions through that computer management. I have found my self with
similar problems in the past, the difference was that they were usb
external drives, but running chkdisk did the trick for me.

Re: Backup machine

<20230721181922.310f86537ba11f737750645f@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6506&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6506

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:19:22 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:19 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:41:22 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/21/23 14:51, pinnerite wrote:
> > Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
> > I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
> >
> > It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
> >
> > I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
> >
> > So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
> > To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
> >
> > I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
> >
> > Exactly the same thing happened.
> >
> > This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
> >
> > Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
> >
> > This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
> >
> > Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
> >
> > Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
> > Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
> >
> > Any (non-snyde) suggestions?
> >
> > TIA Alan
> >
> If I understand you correctly, you encountered drive issues with three
> different HDrives when mounted in one computer.....
>
> IMO that points to a computer failure.

That is pretty vague. I have started by running a badblocks test.
That will take some time.

Re: Backup machine

<u9ei8h$3ce7f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6508&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6508

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 14:20:01 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:20 UTC

On 7/21/23 13:18, this is what Nic wrote:
> On 7/21/23 8:51 AM, pinnerite wrote:
>> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
>> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>>
>> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>>
>> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>>
>> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
>> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being
>> really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped
>> all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years
>> service. Not too bad.
>>
>> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>>
>> Exactly the same thing happened.
>>
>> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most,  3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>>
>> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but
>> i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>>
>> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a
>> 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>>
>> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>>
>> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
>> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>>
>> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?
>>
>> TIA Alan
>>
> Try using a windows machine, maybe run a chkdisk or look at the partitions through that computer management. I have
> found my self with similar problems in the past, the difference was that they were usb external drives, but running
> chkdisk did the trick for me.
I myself have 3 ntfs drives hooked to my laptop (linux) and a few uSB. Once a month I boot windows and run chkdsk on
every drive I have to to help mitigate rot.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Backup machine

<u9em7a$3d97n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6510&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6510

From: nntp.mbo...@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:27:37 +0100
 by: Mark Bourne - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:27 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>
> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>
> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>
> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
>
> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>
> Exactly the same thing happened.
>
> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>
> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>
> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>
> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>
> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>
> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?

It does seem more likely that the problem lies with other hardware in
that machine. Having been in storage, it's probably worth opening the
case and blowing out the dust. Next I'd be trying a different PSU,
particularly as it hasn't been used for a couple of years. If that's
giving an under-voltage or unstable output (possibly due to capacitors
drying out), that can upset things.

--
Mark.

Re: Backup machine

<u9eo2r$3dh54$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6511

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:59:23 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:59 UTC

On 21/07/2023 13:51, pinnerite wrote:
> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>
> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>
> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>
> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
>
> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>
> Exactly the same thing happened.
>
> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>
> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>
> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>
> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>
> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>
> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?

Can you boot into a Linux Mint liveCD or USB? If so, what does "Disks"
tell you - if anything - about the faulty hard drive (assuming you left
it connected)?

--

Jeff

Re: Backup machine

<u9eptu$3dufh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6512&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6512

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:30:54 +0200
 by: Edmund - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:30 UTC

On 7/21/23 19:19, pinnerite wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:41:22 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/23 14:51, pinnerite wrote:
>>> Before I downsized two years ago I mothballed my back-up machine.
>>> I ran it up several weeks ago to test it in its new setting.
>>>
>>> It has no screen, keyboard and mousebeing accessed by ssh across my LAN.
>>>
>>> I ran one back-up via rsync and it ran perfectly. Howver when i tried again a few days ago, it was not even recognised.
>>>
>>> So, yesterday, into the loft for a screen, keyboard and mouse.
>>> To cut a long dstory short, the / partition appeared to have corrupted. Never one to chuck anything away without being really sure I made every attempt install Mint 21.1 over its existing 19.3 but they failed. Finally giving in, I wiped all the data by writing random characters all over it. It was a Seagate manufactured 28 March 2013. So about 8 years service. Not too bad.
>>>
>>> I replaced it with another virtually unused Seagate 2TB drive.
>>>
>>> Exactly the same thing happened.
>>>
>>> This one was dated 7 June 2018. So at the most, 3 years useful life. Both were made in Thailand.
>>>
>>> Fortunately(?) I had another 2013 Seagate drive that already had a 21.2 system. It was created on my Work Machine but i plugged it in to the backup and up it came. I tried check something but the screen went blank.
>>>
>>> This morning it wouldn't boot. As its partitioning was not as I wanted, I decided to reorganise it while creating a 21.1 system using the install DVD.
>>>
>>> Every time I tried to create the main (/home) partition, as with its predecessors it failed with an input/output error.
>>>
>>> Gparted doesn't even delete the second partition without quoting errors.
>>> Is it likely that three drives should exhibit (apparently) identical errors?
>>>
>>> Any (non-snyde) suggestions?
>>>
>>> TIA Alan
>>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you encountered drive issues with three
>> different HDrives when mounted in one computer.....
>>
>> IMO that points to a computer failure.
>
> That is pretty vague. I have started by running a badblocks test.

On what computer, the one that gives you all the problems?

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Backup machine

<20230721231926.8333d2d50525dda301c33979@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6513&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6513

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:19:26 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:19 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:30:54 +0200
Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/21/23 19:19, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:41:22 +0200
> > Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> If I understand you correctly, you encountered drive issues with three
> >> different HDrives when mounted in one computer.....
> >>
> >> IMO that points to a computer failure.
> >
> > That is pretty vague. I have started by running a badblocks test.
>
> On what computer, the one that gives you all the problems?
>
> > That will take some time.

My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
They have all been fixed.

This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.

The badblocks test showed no errors.

I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).

I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.

After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.

> -------------
>
> The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
> some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
> Then we have organizations established from pure evil.
>
> Edmund

Re: Backup machine

<u9g5dt$3ontl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6515&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6515

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 04:53:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:53 UTC

On 7/21/2023 6:19 PM, pinnerite wrote:

> My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
> They have all been fixed.
>
> This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has
> only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
> until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.
>
> The badblocks test showed no errors.
>
> I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).
>
> I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.
>
> After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
> If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.

This might not have anything to do with symptoms, but
if the machine has been "mothballed", the CR2032 CMOS battery
is now run down, and you need another.

With a multimeter, check the voltage potential from top-of-CMOS-cell to
chassis ground, and if the battery is good, it will measure 3.0V or so.

Unplug the computer, before you remove/replace the CR2032. Those cells
tend to flop around, and you don't want it falling on a motherboard
which is still powered.

Paul

Re: Backup machine

<AmPuM.164652$mPI2.120615@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6516&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6516

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 07:48:48 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:48 UTC

On 7/22/23 4:53 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 7/21/2023 6:19 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>
>> My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
>> They have all been fixed.
>>
>> This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has
>> only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
>> until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.
>>
>> The badblocks test showed no errors.
>>
>> I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).
>>
>> I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.
>>
>> After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
>> If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.
> This might not have anything to do with symptoms, but
> if the machine has been "mothballed", the CR2032 CMOS battery
> is now run down, and you need another.
>
> With a multimeter, check the voltage potential from top-of-CMOS-cell to
> chassis ground, and if the battery is good, it will measure 3.0V or so.
>
> Unplug the computer, before you remove/replace the CR2032. Those cells
> tend to flop around, and you don't want it falling on a motherboard
> which is still powered.
>
> Paul

Damn good observation.

Re: Backup machine

<20230722220557.f420062f58dd251da9db504c@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6528&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6528

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:05:57 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 21:05 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 07:48:48 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 7/22/23 4:53 AM, Paul wrote:
> > On 7/21/2023 6:19 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> >
> >> My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
> >> They have all been fixed.
> >>
> >> This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has
> >> only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
> >> until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.
> >>
> >> The badblocks test showed no errors.
> >>
> >> I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).
> >>
> >> I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.
> >>
> >> After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
> >> If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.
> > This might not have anything to do with symptoms, but
> > if the machine has been "mothballed", the CR2032 CMOS battery
> > is now run down, and you need another.
> >
> > With a multimeter, check the voltage potential from top-of-CMOS-cell to
> > chassis ground, and if the battery is good, it will measure 3.0V or so.
> >
> > Unplug the computer, before you remove/replace the CR2032. Those cells
> > tend to flop around, and you don't want it falling on a motherboard
> > which is still powered.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Damn good observation.

Not really, as soon as you boot up the BIOS will sask you to press one of two Function keys if the battery has gone dead. Mine hadn't.

Alan

Re: Backup machine

<20230722221715.1fea95f76c600ccbec8726c0@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6530&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6530

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:17:15 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 21:17 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:19:26 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:30:54 +0200
> Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 7/21/23 19:19, pinnerite wrote:

> > > That is pretty vague. I have started by running a badblocks test.
> >
> > On what computer, the one that gives you all the problems?
> >
> > > That will take some time.
>
> My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
> They have all been fixed.
>
> This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
> until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.
>
> The badblocks test showed no errors.
>
> I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).
>
> I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.
>
> After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
> If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.

I decided to try to revive the "dead" drives in my good machine by cloning the good drive.

I booted on a flash drive Knoppix. When I brought up PCmanFM it didn't show the second drive.

After fretting, ran fdisk -l
Sure enough there it was.

I then ran # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=16384 status=progress.

After it finished, I repeated it with the second "dead" drive.

Right now, the second "dead" drive is being cloned to the third "dead" drive on the backup machine.

Tomorrow or Monday I shall edit the directory structure, smb.conf and hostname and attempt to run a backup. If the computer is faulty, it should show up sometime after that.

I'll report back.

Alan

Re: Backup machine

<20230723231248.bc776e5d49bad87f5ad1ef01@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6535&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6535

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 23:12:48 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 22:12 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:17:15 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:19:26 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:30:54 +0200
> > Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > On what computer, the one that gives you all the problems?

> > My work machine was the one that gave me lots of problems.
> > They have all been fixed.
> >
> > This one has an almost identical architecture but since 2011 has only been used to receive incremental backups once or twice per week .....
> > until early June 2021 when it was mothballed.
> >
> > The badblocks test showed no errors.
> >
> > I have now partitioned and reformated it from the command line. (Not quite finished).
> >
> > I will try to crfeate swap space from gparted.
> >
> > After that I will try the Mint 21.1 installation again.
> > If that fails, I will try to find some other tests.
> >
> I decided to try to revive the "dead" drives in my good machine by cloning the good drive.
>
> I booted on a flash drive Knoppix. When I brought up PCmanFM it didn't show the second drive.
>
> After fretting, ran fdisk -l
> Sure enough there it was.
>
> I then ran # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=16384 status=progress.
>
> After it finished, I repeated it with the second "dead" drive.
>
> Right now, the second "dead" drive is being cloned to the third "dead" drive on the backup machine.
>
> Tomorrow or Monday I shall edit the directory structure, smb.conf and hostname and attempt to run a backup. If the computer is faulty, it should show up sometime after that.
>
> I'll report back.
>
> Alan

This morning I took the third clone out of the backup machine and placed it in the work machine and booted from it. Solid as a rock.

I made the changes mentioned above and replaced it in the backup machine. It started giving error messages like:

[409.403258] systemd-journald [364] : Failed to write entry (9 items, 242 bytes) ignoring read-only file system.

I don't think it is the drives and as you say, it is the computer.
Within the next few days, I will strip it down and try to pinpoint the problem.

Alan

Re: Backup machine

<20230724222252.6f69c822588a1f5cfe233999@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6546&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6546

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 22:22:52 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 21:22 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:05:57 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 07:48:48 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> > > This might not have anything to do with symptoms, but
> > > if the machine has been "mothballed", the CR2032 CMOS battery
> > > is now run down, and you need another.
> > >
> > > With a multimeter, check the voltage potential from top-of-CMOS-cell to
> > > chassis ground, and if the battery is good, it will measure 3.0V or so.
> > >
> > > Unplug the computer, before you remove/replace the CR2032. Those cells
> > > tend to flop around, and you don't want it falling on a motherboard
> > > which is still powered.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > Damn good observation.
>
> Not really, as soon as you boot up the BIOS will sask you to press one of two Function keys if the battery has gone dead. Mine hadn't.
>
> Alan

OK. I ran a memory86. No memory errors.

During the next reboot, I froze the screen and spotted this error message scrolling up:

Failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED.

So the next job ids to scrabble in the loft for new SATA leads and switch sockets.

Watch this space.

Alan

Re: Backup machine

<u9ndvu$vnuh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6549&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6549

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:02:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 03:02 UTC

On 7/24/2023 5:22 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:05:57 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 07:48:48 -0400
>> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

>>> Damn good observation.
>>
>> Not really, as soon as you boot up the BIOS will sask you to press one of two Function keys if the battery has gone dead. Mine hadn't.
>>
>> Alan
>
> OK. I ran a memory86. No memory errors.
>
> During the next reboot, I froze the screen and spotted this error message scrolling up:
>
> Failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED.
>
> So the next job ids to scrabble in the loft for new SATA leads and switch sockets.
>
> Watch this space.
>
> Alan

Do you keep a spare PCI Express SATA card ?

I have one with two SATA ports and Asmedia chip onboard.
I use that if I need a third SATA III port on the other machine.

After the COVID era, it looks like there's a distinct drop
in the availability of that sort of hardware. Mine was a
cheap and unpretentious IOCREST, but they seem to be gone.
These seem to be sold out, but might still be available.

Vantec 2 Channel 4-Port SATA 6Gb/s PCIe Host Card (UGT-ST622)

https://vantecusa.com/CKEdit/images/files/ugt-st622_manual.pdf

The card has four ports. If the jumpers are left in the Default
position, the two connectors *inside* the PC, are where you
connect the red SATA cables. It's a two port chip, with jumpers
to redirect the wiring. This is NOT my favourite format of card,
but if you are desperate, it might be an option.

Paul

Re: Backup machine

<20230725132028.bc7be1c4d5c2cebf1b789902@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6552&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6552

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:20:28 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:20 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:02:22 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 7/24/2023 5:22 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:05:57 +0100
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not really, as soon as you boot up the BIOS will sask you to press one of two Function keys if the battery has gone dead. Mine hadn't.
> >>
> >> Alan
> >
> > OK. I ran a memory86. No memory errors.
> >
> > During the next reboot, I froze the screen and spotted this error message scrolling up:
> >
> > Failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED.
> >
> > So the next job ids to scrabble in the loft for new SATA leads and switch sockets.
> >
> > Watch this space.
> >
> > Alan
>
> Do you keep a spare PCI Express SATA card ?
>
> I have one with two SATA ports and Asmedia chip onboard.
> I use that if I need a third SATA III port on the other machine.
>
> After the COVID era, it looks like there's a distinct drop
> in the availability of that sort of hardware. Mine was a
> cheap and unpretentious IOCREST, but they seem to be gone.
> These seem to be sold out, but might still be available.
>
> Vantec 2 Channel 4-Port SATA 6Gb/s PCIe Host Card (UGT-ST622)
>
> https://vantecusa.com/CKEdit/images/files/ugt-st622_manual.pdf
>
> The card has four ports. If the jumpers are left in the Default
> position, the two connectors *inside* the PC, are where you
> connect the red SATA cables. It's a two port chip, with jumpers
> to redirect the wiring. This is NOT my favourite format of card,
> but if you are desperate, it might be an option.
>
> Paul

I have masses of junk but not one o9f those. The story of my life.

Thanks, Alan

Re: Backup machine

<20230725201404.ac0585d07eed53d8cc66cb9c@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6557&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6557

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:14:04 +0100
<20230725132028.bc7be1c4d5c2cebf1b789902@gmail.com>
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:14 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:20:28 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:02:22 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 7/24/2023 5:22 PM, pinnerite wrote:

> > > OK. I ran a memory86. No memory errors.
> > >
> > > During the next reboot, I froze the screen and spotted this error message scrolling up:
> > >
> > > Failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED.
> > >
> > > So the next job is to scrabble in the loft for new SATA leads and switch sockets.
> > >
> > > Watch this space.
> > >
> > > Alan

I kept the power connectors but changed the SATA leads.

Problem solved.

That'll teach me. Should have used the KISS principle.

> > Do you keep a spare PCI Express SATA card ?
> >
> > I have one with two SATA ports and Asmedia chip onboard.
> > I use that if I need a third SATA III port on the other machine.
> >
> > After the COVID era, it looks like there's a distinct drop
> > in the availability of that sort of hardware. Mine was a
> > cheap and unpretentious IOCREST, but they seem to be gone.
> > These seem to be sold out, but might still be available.
> >
> > Vantec 2 Channel 4-Port SATA 6Gb/s PCIe Host Card (UGT-ST622)
> >
> > https://vantecusa.com/CKEdit/images/files/ugt-st622_manual.pdf
> >
> > The card has four ports. If the jumpers are left in the Default
> > position, the two connectors *inside* the PC, are where you
> > connect the red SATA cables. It's a two port chip, with jumpers
> > to redirect the wiring. This is NOT my favourite format of card,
> > but if you are desperate, it might be an option.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I have masses of junk but not one o9f those. The story of my life.
>
> Thanks, Alan

Thanks for bearing with me.

(I still have another machine to de-mothball).

All the best everyone. Enjoy the rest of the 'er summer.

Alan

Re: Backup machine

<r2WvM.32428$JG_b.27192@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6558&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6558

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
<u9g5dt$3ontl$1@dont-email.me> <AmPuM.164652$mPI2.120615@fx15.iad>
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:14:15 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:14 UTC

On 7/25/23 3:14 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I kept the power connectors but changed the SATA leads.
>
> Problem solved.
>
> That'll teach me. Should have used the KISS principle.
You could keep it simpler if you stopped babbling.