From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Windows support non-USB keyboards from different computer systems?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 04:33:56 +0700
 by: JJ - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 21:33 UTC

I noticed that, Windows supports keyboard layouts of non-USB keyboards from
different computer systems such as PC-9800, OASYS, DEC, etc. Particularly,
Japanese keyboards. As shown that, Windows has below DLL files which
contains keyboard layout data for mapping scan codes, text characters,
Windows virtual codes, as well as control character codes.

F3AHVOAS.DLL: Japanese (Fujitsu FMV oyayubi-shift keyboard)
KBDAX2.DLL : Japanese (AX2)
KBDIBM02.DLL: Japanese (IBM 5576-002/003)
KBDLK41A.DLL: Japanese (DEC LK411-AJ)
KBDNEC95.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 Windows 95)
KBDNECAT.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 on PC98-NX)
KBDNECNT.DLL: Japanese (JP Japanese NEC PC-9800)

See the "File Description" field from the file properties.

This apply (AFAIK, as checked) since Windows XP and up to Windows 11.

So why does Windows support them? How can those keyboards be used on
standard PCs in the first place? Considering that the keyboard connector
pinouts are different, and AFAIK there's no adapter/converter for them
(except those created by hobbyists)?

Re: Windows support non-USB keyboards from different computer systems?

<--mcndWEw8Ow3Bn4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7443&group=alt.windows7.general#7443

From: mummycul...@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:44:13 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:44 UTC

> JJ wrote:
> I noticed that, Windows supports keyboard layouts of non-USB
keyboards from
> different computer systems such as PC-9800, OASYS, DEC, etc.
Particularly,
> Japanese keyboards. As shown that, Windows has below DLL files
which
> contains keyboard layout data for mapping scan codes, text
characters,
> Windows virtual codes, as well as control character codes.
>
> F3AHVOAS.DLL: Japanese (Fujitsu FMV oyayubi-shift keyboard)
> KBDAX2.DLL : Japanese (AX2)
> KBDIBM02.DLL: Japanese (IBM 5576-002/003)
> KBDLK41A.DLL: Japanese (DEC LK411-AJ)
> KBDNEC95.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 Windows 95)
> KBDNECAT.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 on PC98-NX)
> KBDNECNT.DLL: Japanese (JP Japanese NEC PC-9800)
>
> See the "File Description" field from the file
properties.

> This apply (AFAIK, as checked) since Windows XP and up to Windows
11.

> So why does Windows support them? How can those keyboards be used
on
> standard PCs in the first place? Considering that the keyboard
connector
> pinouts are different, and AFAIK there's no adapter/converter for
them
> (except those created by hobbyists)?

Drivers???

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=648756175#648756175

Re: Windows support non-USB keyboards from different computer systems?

<3queoipa23k3nheieqscqe9n2shdsa6sin@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7457&group=alt.windows7.general#7457

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:34:50 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:34 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:44:13 +0000,
mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:

> > JJ wrote:
> > I noticed that, Windows supports keyboard layouts of non-USB
>keyboards from
> > different computer systems such as PC-9800, OASYS, DEC, etc.
>Particularly,
> > Japanese keyboards. As shown that, Windows has below DLL files
>which
> > contains keyboard layout data for mapping scan codes, text
>characters,
> > Windows virtual codes, as well as control character codes.
> >
> > F3AHVOAS.DLL: Japanese (Fujitsu FMV oyayubi-shift keyboard)
> > KBDAX2.DLL : Japanese (AX2)
> > KBDIBM02.DLL: Japanese (IBM 5576-002/003)
> > KBDLK41A.DLL: Japanese (DEC LK411-AJ)
> > KBDNEC95.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 Windows 95)
> > KBDNECAT.DLL: Japanese (NEC PC-9800 on PC98-NX)
> > KBDNECNT.DLL: Japanese (JP Japanese NEC PC-9800)
> >
> > See the "File Description" field from the file
>properties.
> >
> > This apply (AFAIK, as checked) since Windows XP and up to Windows
>11.
> >
> > So why does Windows support them? How can those keyboards be used
>on
> > standard PCs in the first place? Considering that the keyboard
>connector
> > pinouts are different, and AFAIK there's no adapter/converter for
>them
> > (except those created by hobbyists)?
>
>Drivers???
>

>This is a response to the post seen at:
>http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=648756175#648756175

Why do you think the pin out on the kbd connector would be different?
That is a pretty standard connector, whether it is the big 5 pin DIN
(XT/AT) or the mini 6 pin DIN (PS/2). Who ever used a different
pinout?
Certainly you can map any key to anything with a driver, code page or
something tho. Back in the olden days you could remap a keyboard with
the PROMPT command in the autoexec (or anywhere else really). You just
needed ANSI.SYS loaded in CONFIG.SYS.