Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root. -- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: City Skylines

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: City SkylinesSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesAnt
|`* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesSpalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: Free Game: City SkylinesAnt
`* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesPW
 `* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesAnt
  +* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesDimensional Traveler
  |`* Re: Free Game: City SkylinesSpalls Hurgenson
  | `- Re: Free Game: City SkylinesDimensional Traveler
  `- Re: Free Game: City SkylinesJAB

1
Free Game: City Skylines

<srak2hthmkj0a8a7nc6ar1dfs9askq9qmr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6503&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6503

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: City Skylines
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:53:41 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:53 UTC

It's been a week; time for a new free game! This week we get:

City Skylines
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines

I'm sure you've heard of this one. It's pretty much dominated the
city-builder genre ever since EA shat all over themselves (and then
left the field in a huff) with "SimCity" in 2013. In fact, odds are
that if you enjoy the genre, you probably already have this game. In
fact, you may even have it on Epic already, since it was a freebie
there as far back as December 2020.

The base game is a very competent city-builder, and all the features
you've come to expect are included. However, there is a lot of extras
that you're expected to shell out more cash to get, which means that
getting the full experience can be a bit pricey. Still, none of those
extras are *required*, and the vibrant modding scene for the game
means alot of that additional functionality can be had for free, if
with a bit less polish.

This is definitely a game to include in your library if you don't have
it yet. Grab it in the next week before its gone.

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<ffGdnc9wjrnaxLf_nZ2dnUU7-e-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6505&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6505

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game: City Skylines
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 14:02:15 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:02 UTC

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--pearls-from-the-east is free. ;)

--
:) Mar10 Day! Eat mushrooms and get the sun since it's up earlier these days.
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<fv9l2h9ocljbs6ob621l0amsad2haqbeqt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6506&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6506

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:43:39 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 01:43 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 14:02:15 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--pearls-from-the-east is free. ;)

Good catch.

Also free are:

Cities: Skylines - Carols, Candles and Candy
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--carols-candles-and-candy

and

Cities: Skylines - Match Day
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--match-day

All three are - essentially - cosmetics for your cities. The first
adds an Asian flavor to some of the buildings; the second adds
winter-solstice-celebration set-dressing, and the last adds stadiums
to the game. Nice to have, but they won't significantly change up the
gameplay.

It's not clear if any of these are freebies because of this week's
offer, or are reguarly free DLC, although I suspect the latter. Still,
if you're gonna grab 'em, do it before the week's up just to be safe.

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<56fl2hhvblo4oj140ag2c4gjuvtlqncbol@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6509

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:07:39 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:07 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:53:41 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's been a week; time for a new free game! This week we get:
>
>City Skylines
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines
>
>I'm sure you've heard of this one. It's pretty much dominated the
>city-builder genre ever since EA shat all over themselves (and then
>left the field in a huff) with "SimCity" in 2013. In fact, odds are
>that if you enjoy the genre, you probably already have this game. In
>fact, you may even have it on Epic already, since it was a freebie
>there as far back as December 2020.
>
>The base game is a very competent city-builder, and all the features
>you've come to expect are included. However, there is a lot of extras
>that you're expected to shell out more cash to get, which means that
>getting the full experience can be a bit pricey. Still, none of those
>extras are *required*, and the vibrant modding scene for the game
>means alot of that additional functionality can be had for free, if
>with a bit less polish.
>
>This is definitely a game to include in your library if you don't have
>it yet. Grab it in the next week before its gone.

*--

I bought it when it first came out but never really started it.

It is one of those games that Steam keeps updating, "years" later.
Like today for instance! :-)

-pw

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<__6dnY1xwqKmW7f_nZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6513&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6513

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:47:07 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:47 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 14:02:15 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--pearls-from-the-east is free. ;)

> Good catch.

> Also free are:

> Cities: Skylines - Carols, Candles and Candy
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--carols-candles-and-candy

> and

> Cities: Skylines - Match Day
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines--match-day

> All three are - essentially - cosmetics for your cities. The first
> adds an Asian flavor to some of the buildings; the second adds
> winter-solstice-celebration set-dressing, and the last adds stadiums
> to the game. Nice to have, but they won't significantly change up the
> gameplay.

> It's not clear if any of these are freebies because of this week's
> offer, or are reguarly free DLC, although I suspect the latter. Still,
> if you're gonna grab 'em, do it before the week's up just to be safe.

Ooh, good catches. I missed those. Thanks. :)
--
:) Mar10 Day! Eat mushrooms and get the sun since it's up earlier these days. "Picard!" 2 much 2 watch on Thurs.
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<2a-dnYdCvN0IVLf_nZ2dnUU7-cednZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6515&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6515

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 22:01:25 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 04:01 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:53:41 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >It's been a week; time for a new free game! This week we get:
> >
> >City Skylines
> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines
> >
> >I'm sure you've heard of this one. It's pretty much dominated the
> >city-builder genre ever since EA shat all over themselves (and then
> >left the field in a huff) with "SimCity" in 2013. In fact, odds are
> >that if you enjoy the genre, you probably already have this game. In
> >fact, you may even have it on Epic already, since it was a freebie
> >there as far back as December 2020.
> >
> >The base game is a very competent city-builder, and all the features
> >you've come to expect are included. However, there is a lot of extras
> >that you're expected to shell out more cash to get, which means that
> >getting the full experience can be a bit pricey. Still, none of those
> >extras are *required*, and the vibrant modding scene for the game
> >means alot of that additional functionality can be had for free, if
> >with a bit less polish.
> >
> >This is definitely a game to include in your library if you don't have
> >it yet. Grab it in the next week before its gone.
> >

> *--

> I bought it when it first came out but never really started it.

> It is one of those games that Steam keeps updating, "years" later.
> Like today for instance! :-)

I played it during its free weekend. It was nice, but not my genre. I
never got into SimCity types of games.

--
:) Mar10 Day! Eat mushrooms and get the sun since it's up earlier these days. "Picard!" 2 much 2 watch on Thurs.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<t0eile$udq$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6518&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6518

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:20:02 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 04:20 UTC

On 3/10/2022 8:01 PM, Ant wrote:
> PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:53:41 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's been a week; time for a new free game! This week we get:
>>>
>>> City Skylines
>>> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cities-skylines
>>>
>>> I'm sure you've heard of this one. It's pretty much dominated the
>>> city-builder genre ever since EA shat all over themselves (and then
>>> left the field in a huff) with "SimCity" in 2013. In fact, odds are
>>> that if you enjoy the genre, you probably already have this game. In
>>> fact, you may even have it on Epic already, since it was a freebie
>>> there as far back as December 2020.
>>>
>>> The base game is a very competent city-builder, and all the features
>>> you've come to expect are included. However, there is a lot of extras
>>> that you're expected to shell out more cash to get, which means that
>>> getting the full experience can be a bit pricey. Still, none of those
>>> extras are *required*, and the vibrant modding scene for the game
>>> means alot of that additional functionality can be had for free, if
>>> with a bit less polish.
>>>
>>> This is definitely a game to include in your library if you don't have
>>> it yet. Grab it in the next week before its gone.
>>>

>> *--
>
>> I bought it when it first came out but never really started it.
>
>> It is one of those games that Steam keeps updating, "years" later.
>> Like today for instance! :-)
>
> I played it during its free weekend. It was nice, but not my genre. I
> never got into SimCity types of games.

I remember liking the SimLife game way back when. I would be interested
an updated version of that.

dirty old man.

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<t0f2q3$pkn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6521&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6521

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:55:30 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:55 UTC

On 11/03/2022 04:01, Ant wrote:

>> I bought it when it first came out but never really started it.
>
>> It is one of those games that Steam keeps updating, "years" later.
>> Like today for instance! :-)
>
> I played it during its free weekend. It was nice, but not my genre. I
> never got into SimCity types of games.

I kinda like the genre but for me I find they all seem to have the same
flaw - when your Sim thing gets to a certain size it feels like managing
it has become more like a job.

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<aqpm2h1nnluaj83o431hm2ql4kmn7ji0ts@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6525&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6525

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:20:48 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:20 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:20:02 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>I remember liking the SimLife game way back when. I would be interested
>an updated version of that.

I have a love-hate relationship with "SimLife". On the one hand, it's
a fantastic attempt to capture the intricacies of evolution and puts a
lot of options and power into the players hand to create new lifeforms
and ecosystems. On the other hand, its production values were minimal
(even for the time), its interface was a mess, and the actual gameplay
was incredibly boring. It was actually somewhat impressive as to how
the game could be intellectually stimulating and mind-bendingly dull
at the same time.

"Spore" originally looked to be an earnest sequel to the game, but
then it seemed as if Maxis fell too much in love with their
creature-creator technology and couldn't figure out how to make a good
game out of it. So instead we got a mixture of cheesy arcade sequences
and half-baked real-time strategy all wrapped up in god-awful DRM. But
I'd like to believe there's a timeline somewhere out there where that
creature-tech was married to a proper "SimLife" sequel with an
interface that wasn't all gauges and dials. ;-)

Re: Free Game: City Skylines

<t0fq0f$pj6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6527&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6527

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 07:31:28 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:31 UTC

On 3/11/2022 7:20 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:20:02 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> I remember liking the SimLife game way back when. I would be interested
>> an updated version of that.
>
> I have a love-hate relationship with "SimLife". On the one hand, it's
> a fantastic attempt to capture the intricacies of evolution and puts a
> lot of options and power into the players hand to create new lifeforms
> and ecosystems. On the other hand, its production values were minimal
> (even for the time), its interface was a mess, and the actual gameplay
> was incredibly boring. It was actually somewhat impressive as to how
> the game could be intellectually stimulating and mind-bendingly dull
> at the same time.
>
> "Spore" originally looked to be an earnest sequel to the game, but
> then it seemed as if Maxis fell too much in love with their
> creature-creator technology and couldn't figure out how to make a good
> game out of it. So instead we got a mixture of cheesy arcade sequences
> and half-baked real-time strategy all wrapped up in god-awful DRM. But
> I'd like to believe there's a timeline somewhere out there where that
> creature-tech was married to a proper "SimLife" sequel with an
> interface that wasn't all gauges and dials. ;-)

I "played" SimLife in part by leaving it running overnight and then
seeing what had evolved while I slept. There has to be a God metaphor
in that somewhere.

dirty old man.