From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Another color question.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 00:27:57 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 04:27 UTC

I still haven't had any luck with the font size but I chose the Dark
theme and I am OK with it except Notepad and Wordpad are both dark too
so when I print it comes out white text on a black page. I don't see a
color setting for that.

Re: Another color question.

<o5vtiym3qfs6$.irjbj8tk2541.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6526&group=alt.windows7.general#6526

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Another color question.
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:00:20 +0700
 by: JJ - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:00 UTC

On Thu, 06 Jul 2023 00:27:57 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> I still haven't had any luck with the font size but I chose the Dark
> theme and I am OK with it except Notepad and Wordpad are both dark too
> so when I print it comes out white text on a black page. I don't see a
> color setting for that.

Windows color and metrics settings is the base settings.

It's mainly affect the display of native windows. i.e. when classic theme is
used.

Non classic theme is not a native window display. It's a skinned window
display. Such theme has its own color and metrics settings in its `.theme`
file which may override the base settings, and/or are completely separate
settings.

Re: Another color question.

<ctafailmh5mi4vmiad1mqgvb6k3fngoc4i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6528&group=alt.windows7.general#6528

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 02:09:37 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 06:09 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:00:20 +0700, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jul 2023 00:27:57 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> I still haven't had any luck with the font size but I chose the Dark
>> theme and I am OK with it except Notepad and Wordpad are both dark too
>> so when I print it comes out white text on a black page. I don't see a
>> color setting for that.
>
>Windows color and metrics settings is the base settings.
>
>It's mainly affect the display of native windows. i.e. when classic theme is
>used.
>
>Non classic theme is not a native window display. It's a skinned window
>display. Such theme has its own color and metrics settings in its `.theme`
>file which may override the base settings, and/or are completely separate
>settings.

I am using the standard windows "dark" theme. One of the half dozen
you can choose with a click. The problem is that bleeds to the print
driver in wordpad and note pad so you end up making carbon paper.

Re: Another color question.

<u88v8f$3b2sq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6531&group=alt.windows7.general#6531

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:08:38 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:08 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote

| I am using the standard windows "dark" theme. One of the half dozen
| you can choose with a click. The problem is that bleeds to the print
| driver in wordpad and note pad so you end up making carbon paper.

That's pretty good. Carbon paper is not so easy to find these
days. :)

It's natural that it will print what you see. That's what it's
supposed to do. Though a 3rd-party editor will probably ignore
the display settings for a text window, allowing you to choose.
I use a system RichEdit in my own software and that's unaffected
by system settings. Which makes sense. Otherwise how could
I offer font face/color/size options? And an RTF file has color
options built into the file as text-based encoding. So what you
see is likely a "paint" level overlay done by Explorer.

As JJ noted, some displays are also skins. For example, XP's
"Fischer Price" look is actually a skin of images painted on top
of the window frame. With Win7 I'm not sure. Given the curved
corners under Aero, and the ridiculous amount of processing it
takes to paint translucent grass in folder frames, I'm guessing
that's it's probably painted rather than skinned, but with a complex
formula. It can't just say "title bar from x1 to x2, 30 pixels high,
goes dark blue". It has to partially work from an image, or work
from an extremely comple formula at each moment as the desktop
is repainted.

In other words, painting means keeping track of what pixel gets
what color. Skinning means painting on a small image repeatedly
to construct something like a title bar. In some cases, with static
objects, it can also mean paitning the whole window as an object,
as with a music player that looks like a boom box.

That's probably more than you care to know, but it becomes
relevant sometimes. For example, if I allowed the default blue
frames on XP, that's a skin. The images are stored in Media or
some such. So I can't choose to do something like make the blue
lighter. I'd have to switch off the Fischer Price to do that.

If it were me in your situation I'd try changing the "window"
properties on the Display Appearance tab and see if it will modify
the dark theme. Otherwise, go back to regular and then modify
everything else. But, my usual caveat: I'm currently on XP.
I have Win7 and 10 but I haven't checked this idea on those.
(I use 7 only to stream Netflix on one of the TVs.)

In my experience, display options have become increasingly
more confused and limited. MS don't want options. They want
to impose consistency to make things easier for them. So
every time I go into display settings I seem to find that I'm in
the wrong place. (Come to think of it, that happens on Win10
with everything.) Since I don't use 7 and 10 for much, I mostly
just settle for finding the "classic" look and then leave it alone.
The other day the computer icon disappeared from the Win10
desktop. Nothing worked to make a new icon. On XP I can just
open Explorer and right-drag the icon to the desktop. I had to
finally go online to find out how to get it back.

Re: Another color question.

<u89a6d$1c1sp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6535&group=alt.windows7.general#6535

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:15:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:15 UTC

On 7/6/2023 12:27 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> I still haven't had any luck with the font size but I chose the Dark
> theme and I am OK with it except Notepad and Wordpad are both dark too
> so when I print it comes out white text on a black page. I don't see a
> color setting for that.

In a DTP (desktop publishing) tool, the appearance of a
document is controlled by a template.

Notepad and Wordpad aren't exactly the same thing,
so it's harder to justify such choices at print time.

In this example, Notepad++ has controls that affect printing.
Half way down the page, it shows some examples of the richness
of the options for printing.

https://community.notepad-plus-plus.org/topic/21441/notepad-v8-1-1-is-available/9?lang=en-US

Paul

Re: Another color question.

<8ihhaihm9q76hd702qcl2a96pskjuiphem@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6537&group=alt.windows7.general#6537

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 22:26:53 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 02:26 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:15:24 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/6/2023 12:27 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> I still haven't had any luck with the font size but I chose the Dark
>> theme and I am OK with it except Notepad and Wordpad are both dark too
>> so when I print it comes out white text on a black page. I don't see a
>> color setting for that.
>>

>In a DTP (desktop publishing) tool, the appearance of a
>document is controlled by a template.
>
>Notepad and Wordpad aren't exactly the same thing,
>so it's harder to justify such choices at print time.
>
>In this example, Notepad++ has controls that affect printing.
>Half way down the page, it shows some examples of the richness
>of the options for printing.
>
>https://community.notepad-plus-plus.org/topic/21441/notepad-v8-1-1-is-available/9?lang=en-US
>
> Paul

OK so what I am seeing is Microsoft gave us a "dark theme" they put it
in the right click menu of the desktop but joke's on you. It is not
usable if you want a printing "experience" from the two text editors
bundled with their software.
If you pay extra and buy "word" it works fine and that will be my work
around for now. Thanks everyone.

BTW still no luck on the windows default font size.
Easy way to see it. Look at printer properties for XPS writer from the
control panel.
That is pure windows and I can't change that font