From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: toggling auto-refresh?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:16:57 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:16 UTC

When I create a new file (for example, extract the audio from a video
file), I normally see it straight away, if I have Explorer open showing
the folder/directory in question.

(Sometimes it appears at the bottom of the list of files, whatever I
have them sorted by - fair enough, for a newly-created file.)

But just sometimes, it switches to not showing the new file at all
unless I press F5 (or View Refresh, or move focus to another directory
and then back).

What am I doing that toggles the behaviour? I have a vague memory that
this mode (don't dynamically update file list) can be selected, and I
can see that under some circumstances (say, an external disc, or you
have lots of files, especially if you have some sort of thumbnail
function turned on) it can be advantageous - but, I'd like to know how
I'm toggling it. (The directories in question _aren't_ external or have
many files in them, so I'd like to see the new file without having to
refresh.)

I _think_ the behaviour reverts by the next day or so.

"Knowledge isnt elitist - that's rubbish! Why are we embarrassed by the idea
that people know things? It's not a conspiracy against the ignorant. Knowing
things is good!" - Jeremy Paxman, RT 14-20 August 2010