From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: hyperref ToC entries
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:31:54 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:31 UTC

I'm puzzled by some incorrect links in the ToC entries for Appendixes in
_Formatting Information_, generated by hyperref. I get the same results
no matter which processor I use (principally LuaLaTeX and XeLaTeX). This
only applies to entries for the Appendixes: other entries for chapters
and sections, and the LoT, LoF, and LoE all seem to be correct.

The typeset ToC is correct in all cases: the page numbers referred to
are right (generated by LaTeX, of course). But in some cases, the page
you are taken to when you click on an entry (AND the page number that
pops up when you mouse over the entry) is wrong.

In all wrong cases, the page you are taken to appears to be a bogus
offset from the first page of Chapter 1 (page 41 because the prelim
pages are all roman-numeralled).

Examples:

A Installation ... 233 (correct, but link goes to 41)
A.1 Size and space ... 234 (but links to 43)
A.2 Installing the software ... 235 (but links to 45)
A.2.1 Unix and GNU/Linux ... 235 (and links correctly to 275)

Mutatis mutandis the same for other Appendix subsubsections, BUT in App
B, the subsubsections link wrongly.

This is http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/beginlatex.pdf
The .tex file and ancillaries are in the same place.

I'm unclear (a) why this should happen only in the Appendixes, and (b)
why is should treat subsubsections of B differently from subsubsections
of A. I haven't seen anything posted relating to this, so I'm assuming
it's something I have done, but I can't see what.

Peter

Re: hyperref ToC entries

<jMydnb6iH6V6udD5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6528&group=comp.text.tex#6528

From: hel...@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Subject: Re: hyperref ToC entries
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:08:39 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:08 UTC

Just checking: did you re-run latex 2-3 times? LaTeX is a single pass
program, with divergent files (eg the .toc file), and needs to be re-run to
pick up the adjustments. Maybe you need an "extra" run-through.

Also: are there any warnings in the .log file?

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: hyperref ToC entries

<l5hmv6wph0rh.dlg@nililand.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6529&group=comp.text.tex#6529

From: new...@nililand.de (Ulrike Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:54:17 +0200
 by: Ulrike Fischer - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:54 UTC

Am Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:31:54 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> I'm puzzled by some incorrect links in the ToC entries for Appendixes in
> _Formatting Information_, generated by hyperref.
>
> I'm unclear (a) why this should happen only in the Appendixes, and (b)
> why is should treat subsubsections of B differently from subsubsections
> of A.

Links go wrong if the internal represention is not unique.

As a simple example here we have section 1 twice:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\newpage
\section{a}

\newpage
\setcounter{section}{0}
%\renewcommand\theHsection{appendix\arabic{section}}
\section{b}
\end{document}

You then get warnings in the log that there are anchors
("destinations") with the same name and links are wrong:

pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
(name{section.1}) has been already used, duplicate ignored

lualatex will write this:
warning (pdf backend): ignoring duplicate destination with the name
'section.1'

with xelatex you have to use the option
--output-driver="xdvipdfmx -vv"
then you get on the terminal
xdvipdfmx:warning: Object @section.1 already defined.

To repair that either redefine the hyperref representation
(\theH<counter>) so that it is unique, or use

\usepackage[hypertexnames=false]{hyperref}

(but then \autoref will no longer work)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: hyperref ToC entries

<kbpofaFnjceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6554&group=comp.text.tex#6554

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 14:47:22 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Sun, 7 May 2023 13:47 UTC

I mailed Robert direct by mistake:

On 29/04/2023 15:08, Robert Heller wrote:
> Just checking: did you re-run latex 2-3 times? LaTeX is a single
> pass program, with divergent files (eg the .toc file), and needs to
> be> re-run to pick up the adjustments. Maybe you need an "extra"
> run-through.
Possibly. The Makefile uses latexmk, so I am assuming it has
successfully resolved itself; there are no error messages.

> Also: are there any warnings in the .log file?

[Originally I just checked for LaTeX errors]
Only a few about underfull and overfull hboxes of a few pt.

But after Ulrike's prompt, it's clear that there are "pdf backend"
errors (see next post).

Peter

Re: hyperref ToC entries

<kbppcnFnjceU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6555&group=comp.text.tex#6555

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 15:03:03 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Sun, 7 May 2023 14:03 UTC

On 29/04/2023 15:54, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:31:54 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:
>
>> I'm puzzled by some incorrect links in the ToC entries for Appendixes in
>> _Formatting Information_, generated by hyperref.
>>
>> I'm unclear (a) why this should happen only in the Appendixes, and (b)
>> why is should treat subsubsections of B differently from subsubsections
>> of A.
>
> Links go wrong if the internal represention is not unique.

Good point. I don't reset the counters, but I do use \appendix, so LaTeX
is presumably resetting counter chapter.

Aha :-)

>> warning (pdf backend): ignoring duplicate destination with the name 'chapter.1'
>> Appendix A.

OK, that is unfortunate.

> with xelatex you have to use the option
> --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -vv"
> then you get on the terminal
> xdvipdfmx:warning: Object @section.1 already defined.

I'm using lualatex; if I use that option I get a list of "unreferenced
destinations" which is very useful and has tracked down a bunch of
label/ref errors.

> To repair that either redefine the hyperref representation
> (\theH<counter>) so that it is unique,

I shall have to find out what it does, as presumably it's using counters
that clash, as TeX has no simple equivalent of XPath's generate-id().

> or use \usepackage[hypertexnames=false]{hyperref}
> (but then \autoref will no longer work)

I don't knowingly use \autoref but the document makes extensive use of
the varioref package (but that doesn't seem to use it either).

Thank you very much, that explains a lot that has never arisen before.

Peter