From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Humble Bundle for Ukraine
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:37:23 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:37 UTC

Humble Bundle is sponsoring a charity-sale-bundle-thingee with the
proceeds going to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine.
https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_2_layout_type_carousel_tile_index_1_c_ukrainecharitybundle_bundle

This is similar to the bundle run by Itch.io a few days ago, in that
it includes a large number of games for the same cause. It differs in
that the starting price is significantly higher ($40 USD), but the
games are also of significantly better quality. Notable games include
"Satisfactory", "Back4Blood", "Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition", "Spyro
Reignited", "Max Payne 3", "Sunset Overdrive", "The Long Dark", "Fable
Anniversary", "Quantum Break", "Endless Space 2", "Kerbal Space
Program", "Wandersong", all the "Amnesia" games, and a lot more.
There's a total of 123 items included; not all are video games (also
included are a number of digital-edition tabletop RPG books, a variety
of utilities and game-development software, and even some quality
models for 3D printing.

The buy-in price is, admittedly, a bit high but you get a lot of stuff
and - again - the cause is justified. I'm honestly tempted to get it
myself, even though I've already many of the items in the bundle and
I've donated elsewhere. So, I urge you to at least visit the page and
consider donating.

Re: Humble Bundle for Ukraine

<lgvb3h1dg37fnuehunjglv3hm9v0o246g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6562&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6562

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Humble Bundle for Ukraine
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:04:08 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:04 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:37:23 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Humble Bundle is sponsoring a charity-sale-bundle-thingee with the
>proceeds going to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine.
>https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_2_layout_type_carousel_tile_index_1_c_ukrainecharitybundle_bundle
>
>This is similar to the bundle run by Itch.io a few days ago, in that
>it includes a large number of games for the same cause. It differs in
>that the starting price is significantly higher ($40 USD), but the
>games are also of significantly better quality. Notable games include
>"Satisfactory", "Back4Blood", "Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition", "Spyro
>Reignited", "Max Payne 3", "Sunset Overdrive", "The Long Dark", "Fable
>Anniversary", "Quantum Break", "Endless Space 2", "Kerbal Space
>Program", "Wandersong", all the "Amnesia" games, and a lot more.
>There's a total of 123 items included; not all are video games (also
>included are a number of digital-edition tabletop RPG books, a variety
>of utilities and game-development software, and even some quality
>models for 3D printing.
>
>The buy-in price is, admittedly, a bit high but you get a lot of stuff
>and - again - the cause is justified. I'm honestly tempted to get it
>myself, even though I've already many of the items in the bundle and
>I've donated elsewhere. So, I urge you to at least visit the page and
>consider donating.

*--

I do like that 100% of the proceeds supposedly go towards helping. I
just donated through a reputable organization that I am a part of.
100% does not get spent on bureaucracy, office workers, to the
dictators as it is a volunteer organization.

I did read about Humble Bundle donating money to charity but not sure
which ones.

But, I don't have the storage space or download speed for those games!
Maybe one or two.

-pw

Re: Humble Bundle for Ukraine

<t171ro$40l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6574&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6574

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:06:30 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:06 UTC

On 19/03/2022 00:37, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Humble Bundle is sponsoring a charity-sale-bundle-thingee with the
> proceeds going to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine.
> https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_2_layout_type_carousel_tile_index_1_c_ukrainecharitybundle_bundle
>
> This is similar to the bundle run by Itch.io a few days ago, in that
> it includes a large number of games for the same cause. It differs in
> that the starting price is significantly higher ($40 USD), but the
> games are also of significantly better quality. Notable games include
> "Satisfactory", "Back4Blood", "Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition", "Spyro
> Reignited", "Max Payne 3", "Sunset Overdrive", "The Long Dark", "Fable
> Anniversary", "Quantum Break", "Endless Space 2", "Kerbal Space
> Program", "Wandersong", all the "Amnesia" games, and a lot more.
> There's a total of 123 items included; not all are video games (also
> included are a number of digital-edition tabletop RPG books, a variety
> of utilities and game-development software, and even some quality
> models for 3D printing.
>
> The buy-in price is, admittedly, a bit high but you get a lot of stuff
> and - again - the cause is justified. I'm honestly tempted to get it
> myself, even though I've already many of the items in the bundle and
> I've donated elsewhere. So, I urge you to at least visit the page and
> consider donating.

I did have a look and although there's a few good games there buying the
bundle is just going to create problems in making sure I pretty much
play a single game for sometime before starting a new one.

Like you though, I have already donated elsewhere and one of the nice
things about the UK is we have something could giftaid which means you
can tick a box when you donate and the charity can then claim 25% extra
off the government as it's tax deductible with you having to make a tax
return.

Re: Humble Bundle for Ukraine

<t172pg$mfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6575&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6575

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:22:22 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:22 UTC

On 19/03/2022 16:04, PW wrote:

> I do like that 100% of the proceeds supposedly go towards helping. I
> just donated through a reputable organization that I am a part of.
> 100% does not get spent on bureaucracy, office workers, to the
> dictators as it is a volunteer organization.

It's always a difficult issue as once you get past the very smallest
charities you are going to have running cost even if you use solely
volunteers. Then you have the really interesting one of paying workers
as they can increase the overall contributions to a charity.

It did go somewhat far several years ago in the UK when it became
apparent that charities were using what would be called chuggers (people
who approach you in the street). The problem, the chuggers were employed
by an outside firm and then took a large slice of the donation and this
was never mentioned. What made it worse that a large part of the income
of the chuggers was based on commission and at one point it really did
feel like you were basically getting harassed and/or guilt tripped
whenever you went to town.

We also have some horror stories of certain charities releasing their
accounts (that's required yearly) and it becoming apparent that they
only people who were doing well out of it were the people heading up the
charity.

The last one, something I found interesting was when the Iraq oil for
food scandal broke. I happened to be in Rome at the time and I got
speaking to some UN aid workers in a pub. The subject got on the the
scandal, as the beers flowed. and when of the things said to me was of
course they knew there was corruption in the system but would you have
preferred for people to starve.