From: nic...@example.com (nicholas)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nicholas - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:59 UTC

As below, an smtp server is specified from the .pinerc file for this
account:

user-domain=example.com
smtp-server=smtp.ionos.com:587/tls/user=nick@example.com
inbox-path={imap.ionos.com:993/ssl/user=nick@example.com}INBOX

where "example.com" is the ionos domain. Yet I'm getting bounce messages
from postfix like:

From: "Mail Delivery System" <mailer-daemon@perfora.net>
To: nick@example.com

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: gmail-smtp-
in.l.google.com (xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa) reason: 550-5.7.26 This mail has been
blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication

which is fine, insofar as this .pinerc isn't using meant to use postfix
and so it would surprising if it did authenticate with Google. Instead,
it should send directly through ionos as specified above. Why isn't it
sending through ionos?

How can Pine be configured to not use the localhost for sending?

thanks,

Nick

Re: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?

<5n3j5kxt5d.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=655&group=comp.mail.pine#655

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:25:25 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:25 UTC

On 2023-12-23 12:59, nicholas wrote:
> As below, an smtp server is specified from the .pinerc file for this
> account:
>
> user-domain=example.com
> smtp-server=smtp.ionos.com:587/tls/user=nick@example.com
> inbox-path={imap.ionos.com:993/ssl/user=nick@example.com}INBOX
>
> where "example.com" is the ionos domain. Yet I'm getting bounce messages
> from postfix like:
>
> From: "Mail Delivery System" <mailer-daemon@perfora.net>
> To: nick@example.com

Who is "perfora.net"? Is that actually what you get, or have you edited
it for privacy? Is it you or is it outside?

Assuming that is what you really get, Alpine is not using postfix. It is
the remote site you send to that happens to also use postfix.

If I am not reading it correct, then you must say what is each domain in
your text in relationship to you.

And possibly post the entire rejection email, not including your email
part that was rejected and included.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?

<4f4b6d4a-16fb-31b1-b80d-7bdabee91a1e@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=656&group=comp.mail.pine#656

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:45:20 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:45 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023, nicholas wrote:

> As below, an smtp server is specified from the .pinerc file for this
> account:
>
> user-domain=example.com
> smtp-server=smtp.ionos.com:587/tls/user=nick@example.com
> inbox-path={imap.ionos.com:993/ssl/user=nick@example.com}INBOX
>
> where "example.com" is the ionos domain. Yet I'm getting bounce messages
> from postfix like:
> [...]

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You have configured your
smtp-server variable to be the smtp server at ionos.com, and somehow
Alpine is not using that but using postfix which is connecting to google's
smtp server? Also, which version of Alpine are you using? Did you build it
yourself, or are you using one distributed by some linux distribution or
mac, or maybe even Windows?

Are you using roles? If yes, do you configure the smtp-server variable in
them? If not, configure it with the correct value.

I understand your sense of privacy and security, but without real data and
a real explanation of how you have configured Alpine it is hard to help
you. All I can do is to use my imagination to try to figure out what you
are trying to say, and will only result in a longer time to resolve your
issue, or not being able to solve it at all.

--
Eduardo
https://alpineapp.email (web)

Re: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?

<kuof5bF4m3uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=657&group=comp.mail.pine#657

From: use...@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 17:11:23 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:11 UTC

On 23/12/2023 12.59, nicholas wrote:
> As below, an smtp server is specified from the .pinerc file for this
> account:
>
> user-domain=example.com
> smtp-server=smtp.ionos.com:587/tls/user=nick@example.com
> inbox-path={imap.ionos.com:993/ssl/user=nick@example.com}INBOX
>
> where "example.com" is the ionos domain. Yet I'm getting bounce messages
> from postfix like:

I guess ionos uses postfix, it's one of the popular ones nowadays.

> From: "Mail Delivery System" <mailer-daemon@perfora.net>
> To: nick@example.com
>
> ..
>
> SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: gmail-smtp-
> in.l.google.com (xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa) reason: 550-5.7.26 This mail has been
> blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.
>
> ..
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication
>

> which is fine, insofar as this .pinerc isn't using meant to use postfix
> and so it would surprising if it did authenticate with Google.

This is about spf, dmarc and dkim, not about an user authentication.
You need to add the ionos mx servers to the spf record, you should also
set up a dmarc record and I would recommend to setup dkim too as many
larger mail operators rejects is you don't use dkim.

> Instead,
> it should send directly through ionos as specified above. Why isn't it
> sending through ionos?

Without seeing logs or mail headers, but I would say it has been sent
trough ionos.

> How can Pine be configured to not use the localhost for sending?

did you even bother to look at the logs?
grep nick@perfora.net /var/log/mail.log

--
//Aho

Re: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?

<umkfjt$fen8$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=658&group=comp.mail.pine#658

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:43 UTC

On 2023-12-23, nicholas <nick@example.com> wrote:
> As below, an smtp server is specified from the .pinerc file for this
> account:
>
> user-domain=example.com
> smtp-server=smtp.ionos.com:587/tls/user=nick@example.com
> inbox-path={imap.ionos.com:993/ssl/user=nick@example.com}INBOX
>
> where "example.com" is the ionos domain. Yet I'm getting bounce messages
> from postfix like:

postfix is the local mailer/receiver on a Linux system (by default-- you
can change that) It has nothing to do with the outside routes or mail
handlers.

> From: "Mail Delivery System" <mailer-daemon@perfora.net>
> To: nick@example.com
>
> ..
>
> SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: gmail-smtp-
> in.l.google.com (xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa) reason: 550-5.7.26 This mail has been
> blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.

Note that it is says the error came from the remote server. Postfix is
just relaying the message. So you are going to have to figure out why
and how you screwed up the authentication.

> ..
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication
>

> which is fine, insofar as this .pinerc isn't using meant to use postfix
> and so it would surprising if it did authenticate with Google. Instead,
> it should send directly through ionos as specified above. Why isn't it
> sending through ionos?
>
> How can Pine be configured to not use the localhost for sending?
>

> thanks,
>
> Nick

Re: why is Alpine using postfix when an smtp-server is specified?

<umm2km$pgjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=659&group=comp.mail.pine#659

From: nic...@example.com (nicholas)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:13:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nicholas - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:13 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:43:10 -0000 (UTC), William Unruh wrote:

> Note that it is says the error came from the remote server. Postfix is
> just relaying the message. So you are going to have to figure out why
> and how you screwed up the authentication.

appreciated.