From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: NAPALM : Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:39:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:39 UTC

NAPALM <trim@your.post> schrieb:

> Salutations to ye netizens of ye olde Usenet. Do any of you know how to
> trim your posts before submitting?

Yes, I do. I also know not to post to irrelevant groups, and
how to mark crossposts and how to set Followup-To: lines, which
apparently you don't.

Why your post went to alt.bible, sci.crypt, news.groups
and alt.astronomy is a bit of a mystery. I am replying to
alt.folklore.computers only.

> I have to spend most of my Usenet reading time scrolling past quoted
> text, rather than reading. Many posts appear as gangly hydras of broken
> quotational gibberish lines. This ungainly sight is a digital horror.

I beg to differ. If you are replying to a certain part of the text,
it is good form to quote that part, and then reply (like I am doing
here). This way, context is preserved.

> Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages (NAPALM) is here to help
> educate you about cultivating a positive and blossoming reading
> experience without the word wall weeds choking the binary blooms.
>
><trim> your talk.
><snip> your screed.
><redact> your rant.
><condense> your caterwaul.

I have no idea what the second, third and fourth sentences mean.
Maybe, as somebody who advocates clear writing, you should try it
yourself.

> For Heaven's sake, cut it out, literally. Trim the phatt phrum yer
> portly posts, please!

Likewise.

Re: NAPALM : Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages

<0vHVK.295040$wLZ8.205730@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6601&group=alt.folklore.computers#6601

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:15:56 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:15 UTC

On 2022-09-18, Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:

> NAPALM <trim@your.post> schrieb:
>
>> <trim> your talk.
>> <snip> your screed.
>> <redact> your rant.
>> <condense> your caterwaul.
>
> I have no idea what the second, third and fourth sentences mean.
> Maybe, as somebody who advocates clear writing, you should try it
> yourself.

Give him a break. He's just having some fun with
a lot of alluring alliteration.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

Re: NAPALM : Netizens Against Portly And Long Messages

<ohGdnY2WFuow_br-nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6603&group=alt.folklore.computers#6603

Sender: Dennis Boone <drb@yagi.h-net.org>
From: drb...@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis Boone)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:17:17 +0000
 by: Dennis Boone - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:17 UTC

> Give him a break. He's just having some fun with
> a lot of alluring alliteration.

Next thing he'll be shattering sheet glass in the shithouse.

De