"Oh what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face..." -- a prisoner in "Life of Brian"

computers / comp.sys.unisys / Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

SubjectAuthor
* How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsLuke Numrych
`* Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsPaul Kimpel
 `* Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsLuke Numrych
  `* Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsPaul Kimpel
   `* Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsmpe...@gmail.com
    `- Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requestsPaul Kimpel

1
How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

<22bfab37-6f17-461c-8ceb-18390fc4d372n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54&group=comp.sys.unisys#54

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests
From: l.numr...@gmail.com (Luke Numrych)
 by: Luke Numrych - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:31 UTC

Is there any way to research the sequence of lock/unlock request for a particular structure? I do not think this is captured in the audit, looking at the audit record types in "Record Type Mnemonics" in the "Enterprise Database Server Utilities Operations Guide".
By the way, is a more detailed explanation of those record types available anywhere else?

Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

<6904c3b9-24bd-2a37-1a91-1eaf5f61f1e8@digm.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58&group=comp.sys.unisys#58

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 14:57:26 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 21:57 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: l.numr...@gmail.com (Luke Numrych)
 by: Luke Numrych - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 05:16 UTC

On Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 4:57:29 PM UTC-5, Paul Kimpel wrote:
> [...]
Hi Paul - thanks for your reply.
I did not think lock/unlock request were part of the audit - as you pointed out, they would be meaningless for recovery, and that is what AUDITs are for. As I am new to DMSII; however, I felt the need to verify.
By the way - most database management systems call such mechanisms "transaction logs". Is there a story behind why DMSII calls them AUDITs? Just curious - I find that knowing the reasons "why" helps me become familiar with a system.

Thank you for pointing me at the other sections in the manual, I will definitely go through them.

As far as the reason why I was looking for lock/unlock requests: we had a database access failure that manifested itself as program receiving a NOTLOCKED 1 exception. It happened to existing code that has been running for ages (and properly locking/unlocking structures); therefore, the database had to be at fault ;). We just installed a new DMSII release on the system, so that could potentially have been the problem... I was asked by the development team to investigate. Since I could not figure a way to track lock/unlock requests, I decided to use the proven RTFM method. Through application of it, I developed a theory that the most likely cause was not that DMSII was suddenly losing locks put on structures by programs, and that the NOTLOCKED exception was in fact a secondary failure, the primary failure being a DEADLOCK. Which then caused DMSII to free all locks owned by the victim process. Because the victim process was ignoring the DEADLOCK exception (well, "eating" is more like it - it did not display the exception or give any other hint that it was happening), it didn't bother re-locking structures before attempting to retry the original transaction - which was causing the NOTLOCKED 1 exception.

My theory was proven true once code was added to the application to notify of the DEADLOCK exception and the development team has now updated the application to handle the DEADLOCK exception properly.

Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

<164c0f8f-8d7a-5fcf-cbf4-796390c693ce@digm.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=66&group=comp.sys.unisys#66

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 07:05:28 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:05 UTC

> On Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 4:57:29 PM UTC-5, Paul Kimpel wrote:

As to "AUDITs", the term is actually "audit trail". Historically, to
"maintain an audit trail" is to record all of the activities that apply
changes to a record system. The term probably comes from accounting,
which has obsessed over maintaining reliable, verifiable records for
centuries.
Before centralized data base systems were used, "audit trail" was a
common term for a file or a set of files an application would create to
record activities against the (often tape-based) master files for the
application. It's not a Unisys/Burroughs-specific term at all. "Audit
trail", "journal", and "transaction log" all mean the same thing in the
context of data base systems.
The predecessor to DMSII, DM6700 (early 1970s), used the term "audit
trail" for its recovery file, and I'm certain that simply got carried
forward into DMSII.
Glad to know you got your NOTLOCKED problem resolved. It's just one more
example of why you need to handle (or at least report) all DMSII exceptions.
Paul

Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

<b7380def-0bf8-4bd4-989a-5b65117b531an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67&group=comp.sys.unisys#67

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:43:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: mpe...@gmail.com (mpe...@gmail.com)
 by: mpe...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 15:43 UTC

On Friday, July 9, 2021 at 7:05:31 AM UTC-7, Paul Kimpel wrote:

> As to "AUDITs", the term is actually "audit trail". Historically, to
> "maintain an audit trail" is to record all of the activities that apply
> changes to a record system. The term probably comes from accounting,
> which has obsessed over maintaining reliable, verifiable records for
> centuries.

Modern financial compliance auditing and security auditing also wants to know about access, not just change. There is a case for the DMSII audit files to be expanded to include LOCK and FIND verbs, too. Yes, the database open is recorded in the sumlog (if the correct logging options are set), but that does not show what records were accessed.

Re: How to research DMSII lock/unlock requests

<8f3b0c28-e665-99e7-0452-0f1d4cb20773@digm.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68&group=comp.sys.unisys#68

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:01:05 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:01 UTC