Always look over your shoulder because everyone is watching and plotting against you.

computers / comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows / Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign hostPaul Colder
`- Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign hostDaveH2

1
Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host

<5ea5825b-a13d-4aa4-9c18-2186f66d1845n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=659&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#659

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 11:39:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host
From: pcol...@gmail.com (Paul Colder)
 by: Paul Colder - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 19:39 UTC

Op donderdag 11 juni 2020 om 00:09:13 UTC+2 schreef DaveH2:
> On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Zauberlehrling ! wrote:

> > > You almost certainly need to apply the "Hermes" update to Eudora which will enable it to communicate with Yahoo's servers using the TLSv1.2 protocol. Natively Eudora only supports TLSv1 due to its age. If you look at the "Last SSL Info" on the incoming mail settings page, that will probably confirm that. Yahoo (and others) are starting to reject TLSv1 logins on their servers.
> > > I can talk you through installing the necessary files if you like.
> >
> > Sorry if that is double, I am not sure if my last reply went through.
> > I downloaded HermSSL.zip and would be greatful if you could talk me through with the installation.
> Hi, sorry for the delay in responding.
> You need to extract the file in HermSSL.zip to a folder.
> In the HermSSL folder (I assume you're on Windows) you will find a file called "vcredist.exe". Double click on that and follow the prompts to install it. If you get a message that it's already installed, just say OK. Then you need to copy the following files from that folder to your Eudora program folder (with Eudora closed of course!) libeay32.dll QCSSL.dll rootcerts.p7b and ssleay32.dll.
> Then start Eudora, and try to connect again. It should now be connecting using TLSv1.2. You can check this by looking at the server settings for the profile you're using (probably "<Dominant>" if you only have one account) and look at "Last SSL Info" on the "Incoming Mail" tab. That should say TLSv1.2.
> If that is correct but you still can't connect, we need to do something else!
> HTH. Cheers, Dave.
==================================================================================Hi Dave,
Also in 2023 there are still quite a few people who love Eudora and I am one of them. A few days ago I had to re-build a desktop computer, but the re-installation of Eudora 7.1 was a problem: I got the error messages mentioned here. I really struggled , until I found your comments in this group. I followed your recommendations and I am very happy to report that Eudora is working again !!
Many, many thanks for your excellent support !
Have a nice X-mas.
Kind regards,

Paul

Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host

<cef654c0-4faf-4ad8-b384-c551cb41c5c5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=660&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#660

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 12:17:15 -0800 (PST)
From: dav...@sky.com (DaveH2)
 by: DaveH2 - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 20:17 UTC

On Monday 25 December 2023 at 19:40:00 UTC, Paul Colder wrote:
> Op donderdag 11 juni 2020 om 00:09:13 UTC+2 schreef DaveH2:

> > > Sorry if that is double, I am not sure if my last reply went through.
> > > I downloaded HermSSL.zip and would be greatful if you could talk me through with the installation.
> > Hi, sorry for the delay in responding.
> > You need to extract the file in HermSSL.zip to a folder.
> > In the HermSSL folder (I assume you're on Windows) you will find a file called "vcredist.exe". Double click on that and follow the prompts to install it. If you get a message that it's already installed, just say OK. Then you need to copy the following files from that folder to your Eudora program folder (with Eudora closed of course!) libeay32.dll QCSSL.dll rootcerts.p7b and ssleay32.dll.
> > Then start Eudora, and try to connect again. It should now be connecting using TLSv1.2. You can check this by looking at the server settings for the profile you're using (probably "<Dominant>" if you only have one account) and look at "Last SSL Info" on the "Incoming Mail" tab. That should say TLSv1.2.
> > If that is correct but you still can't connect, we need to do something else!
> > HTH. Cheers, Dave.
> ===================================================================================
> Hi Dave,
>
> Also in 2023 there are still quite a few people who love Eudora and I am one of them. A few days ago I had to re-build a desktop computer, but the re-installation of Eudora 7.1 was a problem: I got the error messages mentioned here. I really struggled , until I found your comments in this group. I followed your recommendations and I am very happy to report that Eudora is working again !!
> Many, many thanks for your excellent support !
> Have a nice X-mas.
> Kind regards,
>
> Paul

Thanks for the kind words Paul, glad to hear that it worked for you.
Glad that a post from 3½ years ago was still useful!
Happy Christmas!
Cheers, Dave.