From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Epiphany about pine. The "tab"!
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:01:57 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 13:01 UTC

Hello alpiners,

I just had an epiphany about the tab-button, that I wanted to share.
Strange thing is... I've used alpine for at least a year, and I've seen
the message at the bottom of the screen, but why did it never click?

Anyway...

I've experimentet with alpine as a news reader, and even though it is a
bit slow compared with tin, and even though I cannot get a counter of new
messages after the newsgroup name, and even though the "N" indicator is a
bit clunky, I discovered that pressing tab not only navigates to the next
group, but it also skips a group if no new messages are there.

Brilliant!

That makes up for some of the slowness, since I can just read, delete one
message to make the messages above being marked as read, then skip the
empty groups and land in the next group with new messages.

This has radically speeded up my newsbrowsing since I no longer need to
enter a group, read, exit the group, select the next one.

So shame on my for not discovering it earlier, but now at least I did, and
I hope some other aspiring and beginning alpine fan might be saved the
trouble. ;)

Best regards,
Daniel