/earth: file system full.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

SubjectAuthor
* Fortnite - Build no more?Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Fortnite - Build no more?JAB
|+- Re: Fortnite - Build no more?Justisaur
|`- Re: Fortnite - Build no more?Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: Fortnite - Build no more?PW
 `* Re: Fortnite - Build no more?Justisaur
  +- Re: Fortnite - Build no more?PW
  +- Re: Fortnite - Build no more?JAB
  `* Re: Fortnite - Build no more?Rin Stowleigh
   `* Re: Fortnite - Build no more?alexstar
    `- Re: Fortnite - Build no more?Shinnokxz

1
Fortnite - Build no more?

<3lo34h1p66b0qq1147bept8k1vc861715m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6623&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6623

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Fortnite - Build no more?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:38 UTC

So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
apparently it's going to be a permanent change.

Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.

Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
evaporated.

Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
start PAYING for games again. ;-)

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<t1svvm$hvf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6625&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6625

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Fortnite - Build no more?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:49:24 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:49 UTC

On 28/03/2022 17:38, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
> shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
> apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>
> Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
> set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
> average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
> long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
> keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>
> Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
> being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
> part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
> would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
> do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
> willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
> evaporated.
>
> Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
> pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
> Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
> start PAYING for games again. ;-)

I'd love to comment but I don't even know what building in Fortnite is!

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<32155bbd-ea0d-4967-a018-40d90d4bbc73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6627&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6627

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:25:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:25 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 11:49:27 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 17:38, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> > So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
> > shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
> > apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
> >
> > Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
> > set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
> > average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
> > long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
> > keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
> >
> > Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
> > being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
> > part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
> > would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
> > do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
> > willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
> > evaporated.
> >
> > Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
> > pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
> > Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
> > start PAYING for games again. ;-)
> >
> I'd love to comment but I don't even know what building in Fortnite is!

I briefly played some free mobile clone of it that had building. It seemed
pretty pointless. You could build something but it didn't really offer much
if any defenses that you couldn't get in an existing building, not that was
much defense anyway. It goes in fairly short rounds 15-20 minutes.
There's no persistence of the buildings so really pointless.

Since that's a clone, I could be talking out my ass, but it's pretty similar
from what I gather about FN.

I imagine the temp thing was a test and there wasn't enough outcry
to warrant keeping it. I'm sure they'll put it back in if people start
dropping.

- Justisaur

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<t1t5qv$vd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6630&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6630

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:29:21 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:29 UTC

On 3/28/2022 11:49 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 17:38, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
>> shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
>> apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>>
>> Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
>> set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
>> average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
>> long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
>> keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>>
>> Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
>> being twelve years old anymore.  Even were online-shooters a major
>> part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
>> would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
>> do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
>> willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
>> evaporated.
>>
>> Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
>> pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
>> Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
>> start PAYING for games again. ;-)
>>

> I'd love to comment but I don't even know what building in Fortnite is!

I expect Epic will be revoking your VR citizenship shortly because of
that. :P (I don't have to worry about that because I never was a
citizen of VR in the first place.)

dirty old man.

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<ba944ht7r7libo3nimhkajfcq57qictg62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6631&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6631

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:22:53 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:22 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
>shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
>apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>
>Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
>set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
>average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
>long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
>keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>
>Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
>being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
>part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
>would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
>do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
>willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
>evaporated.
>
>Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
>pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
>Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
>start PAYING for games again. ;-)

*--

Never played it. Are there any adult on-line shooters these days? I
guess Countepoint is still being played.

I would really love to see the original Unreal Tournament 2004 be
remade but it would probably get ruined. There was nothing like it
when it came out.

In fact, I just played it on-line with my brother for three hours
yesterday!

Now we have to play only on weekends as the bum finally got a real job
that is perfect for him: Check this out: Airship Crew/Broadcast
Technician for the Goodyear Blimp company!

-pw

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<aefaa71d-fd23-48e2-9557-2c652a0b7e07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6632&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6632

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:29 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 2:22:57 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
> >shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
> >apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
> >
> >Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
> >set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
> >average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
> >long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
> >keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
> >
> >Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
> >being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
> >part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
> >would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
> >do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
> >willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
> >evaporated.
> >
> >Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
> >pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
> >Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
> >start PAYING for games again. ;-)
> >

> *--
>
> Never played it. Are there any adult on-line shooters these days? I
> guess Countepoint is still being played.

PubG Battlegrounds? It's rated 17+
I've never played it, but that's what I hear people are in to that's like
Fortnight but for adults. I haven't played any serious PvP multiplayer
shooters since Counterstrike.

- Justisaur

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<iqi44h1m44akdso2kmcjnfv9ffk8d5en4p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6634&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6634

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:58:35 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:58 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:25 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 2:22:57 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
>> >shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
>> >apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>> >
>> >Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
>> >set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
>> >average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
>> >long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
>> >keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>> >
>> >Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
>> >being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
>> >part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
>> >would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
>> >do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
>> >willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
>> >evaporated.
>> >
>> >Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
>> >pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
>> >Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
>> >start PAYING for games again. ;-)
>> >

>> *--
>>
>> Never played it. Are there any adult on-line shooters these days? I
>> guess Countepoint is still being played.
>
>PubG Battlegrounds? It's rated 17+
>I've never played it, but that's what I hear people are in to that's like
>Fortnight but for adults. I haven't played any serious PvP multiplayer
>shooters since Counterstrike.
>
>- Justisaur
*--

I used to play it once in a while with my brother.' He doesn't play
it anymore for some reason. It was alot easier playing it with him as
he knew what to do and where to go.

I think it is probably too late for me to get up to speed with the
on-line players.

-pw

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<t1ug24$n2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6636&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6636

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:29:55 +0100
 by: JAB - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:29 UTC

On 28/03/2022 22:29, Justisaur wrote:
> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 2:22:57 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
>>> shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
>>> apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>>>
>>> Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
>>> set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
>>> average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
>>> long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
>>> keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>>>
>>> Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
>>> being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
>>> part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
>>> would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
>>> do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
>>> willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
>>> evaporated.
>>>
>>> Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
>>> pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
>>> Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
>>> start PAYING for games again. ;-)
>>>

>> *--
>>
>> Never played it. Are there any adult on-line shooters these days? I
>> guess Countepoint is still being played.
>
> PubG Battlegrounds? It's rated 17+
> I've never played it, but that's what I hear people are in to that's like
> Fortnight but for adults. I haven't played any serious PvP multiplayer
> shooters since Counterstrike.

I've tried a few, both the likes of CounterStrike: Source and
Battlefield which I very quickly dropped. The ones I did put sometime
into where Medal of Honour and CoD. Probably the reason I did like them
was that I'm not sure many players took them seriously but instead just
liked the idea of shooting other people.

One I really tried to like was Day of Defeat:Source, the problem was I
just found it too hard to get into. The game I most liked though, not a
shooter but a strategy game called Defcon. The basic set-up is each
player takes on the role of a nuclear power and the simple idea is then
to win by being last man standing. It was surprising simplistic in very
much a rock-paper-sissors way but a lot of the fun was had from forming
alliances and then working out when to backstab a player before they did
the same to run. Oh and the map was inspired by the film Wargames.

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<3rs54h5nhn0pbvj1aeqodcm1v6l51gtcka@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6637&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6637

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 07:57:33 -0400
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:57 UTC

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 2:22:57 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:38:16 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >So, apparently Epic has removed the building feature from its online
>> >shooter, "Fortnite". Originally intended to be a temporary thing,
>> >apparently it's going to be a permanent change.
>> >
>> >Honestly, this baffles me. The building was really the only thing that
>> >set "Fortnite" apart from its peers; without it, it's a completely
>> >average competitive shooter. Admittedly, "Fortnite" is getting a bit
>> >long in the tooth, and Epic has always been willing to experiment to
>> >keep the game fresh, but this seems a bit extreme.
>> >
>> >Then again, I'm am so-very-obviously not the market for this game, not
>> >being twelve years old anymore. Even were online-shooters a major
>> >part of my video-game diet, "Fortnite" is hardly the sort of game that
>> >would appeal to me. Presumably Epic knows its players better than I
>> >do, and has determined that the building aspect is something they're
>> >willing to sacrifice. But me? What little interest I had in the game
>> >evaporated.
>> >
>> >Well, whatever. I hope Epic knows what its doing, since Fortnite
>> >pretty much is the only reason we're getting all these free game on
>> >Epic Game Store. It'd be a shame if the funding dried up and I had to
>> >start PAYING for games again. ;-)
>> >

>> *--
>>
>> Never played it. Are there any adult on-line shooters these days? I
>> guess Countepoint is still being played.
>
>PubG Battlegrounds? It's rated 17+
>I've never played it, but that's what I hear people are in to that's like
>Fortnight but for adults.

Technically we could say the other way around, Fortnite copied PUBG
(somewhat) on the approach to battle royale. I'm not sure about
timelines and only working from vague memory here, but I think
Fortnite might have existed when PUBG was released but did not yet
have BR mode which was what really led to the popularity.

I only played Fortnite for a few mins many years ago (it didn't grab
me). I do still play PUBG occasionally.

Also Call of Duty Warzone which is a free to play BR game like PUBG.
They both have their strengths.

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<bf14c09e9e096456aabeefb34f669f21@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12482&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12482

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:06:21 +0000
From: roneri7...@aaorsi.com (alexstar)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
 by: alexstar - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:06 UTC

Technically we could say the other way around, Fortnite copied PUBG
(somewhat) on the approach to battle royale. I'm not sure about
timelines and only working from vague memory here, but I think
Fortnite might have existed when PUBG was released but did not yet
have BR mode which was what really led to the popularity.

I only played Fortnite for a few mins many years ago (it didn't grab
me). I do still play PUBG occasionally.

* Free Fortnite Accounts*
https://www.trickyworlds.com/free-fortnite-accounts/

Also Call of Duty Warzone which is a free to play BR game like PUBG.
They both have their strengths.

Re: Fortnite - Build no more?

<eefacc3f-8f2c-49bc-8199-3d6785363529n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12528&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12528

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 20:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: shinno...@gmail.com (Shinnokxz)
 by: Shinnokxz - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 03:39 UTC

I think it was a decision based on playerbase participation and also skill ceiling. They gave people a choice and saw many were going to no-build. Then, if you ever witnessed some of the big names use building (Ninja), or even moderately skilled builders, they would dance circles around most players.. I was absolutely gash at it whenever I played in the earlier days. And let's be honest here, their demographic is aimed at kids on iPads and not streamers with epic gaming chairs and PCs.

I actually tried no-build a couple of times and it was fun. But I also don't know where Epic stands on new players and if there are bots or whatever in the games when you're a freshie. I was in the top 5 at least pretty consistently without even knowing much about any of the guns or utility.

At least Epic has a pretty good pulse on what its players want. The outfit behind PUBG can't seem to do anything right by whoever is left playing it.