White dwarf seeks red giant for binary relationship.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

SubjectAuthor
* Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundlePW
+* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundleSpalls Hurgenson
|`- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
+- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsWerner P.
+* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsJAB
|`* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundlePW
| `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsJAB
|  +- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundlePW
|  `- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
`* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundleSpalls Hurgenson
 +- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
 `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsJAB
  `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
   `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundleSpalls Hurgenson
    +* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsJAB
    |`* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
    | `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundleMark P. Nelson
    |  `- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
    `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsDimensional Traveler
     `* Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble BundleSpalls Hurgenson
      `- Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joinsJAB

1
Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<ieob4ht4crp5lsb39fnsheha5ukbjd4pm1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6664&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6664

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:23:33 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 17:23 UTC

Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III

I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).

Reminds me of a Steven Wright (dead pan comedian from the Boston area)
joke "If I had everything, where would I put it?".

I would add "When would I play it?".

I used to be a subscriber to Columbia Records when I was a kid. CD of
the month club. Got me in more trouble because I would forget I had a
quota to buy at least one CD because they sent me my choice of a dozen
or so for a $1 (or whatever it was). They were nasty about it when I
got behind. I think they even threatened a lawsuit or two!

But, I doubt HB is anything like that!

-pw

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<tkrc4htbn4ie7u8ambjfnavqms3noglnea@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6680&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6680

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 23:30:30 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 03:30 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:23:33 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III

I'd take you up on it... except I'm already a member. Heck, I'd cancel
my membership and rejoin, except I'm grandfathered in on an older plan
that ensures I get all the games every month instead of having to
select only a few. Sorry.

>I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
>donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
>one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
>are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).

Well, not to promote HB too much, but I rather like the service. Sure,
the bulk of the games they give away every month are fluff, but
there's always two or three I'm quite happy to add to my library, and
they're well worth the $12/mo. Plus, sometimes a game I originally
disregard as 'fluff' turns out to be one of those cult-classics that
I'm happy to rediscover months or years down the line. The fact that
the games are permanently added to the library (well, as much as any
digital purchase is) makes it a far more valuable expense than
subscription-based services like Microsofts or Sony's offerings.

I'm not sure if any of the HumbleChoice stuff payments go to charity,
though. Their various bundles always send a portion of the cash to a
variety of do-gooders, but I'm not sure any of the subscription
does...

[Visits website to check... it does. 5% of the proceeds is donated to
a featured charity. Not much, but every little bit helps]

>But, I doubt HB is anything like that!

HB isn't quite what it used to be; they got bought out a few years ago
by ZiffDavis/IGN and their corporate attachments have been a bit more
obvious since then. Prices have gone up (albeit moderately), they've
pushed out a download client for their 'Trove' games, and game
selections have been more fluffy. Charity donations have apparently
been reduced too. Still, they've not quite crossed over to the dark
side. They're fairly low-pressure with their marketing and, as I've
said, I'm generally pleased with the product their offering.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t25shg$jat$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6683&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6683

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 20:45:55 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 03:45 UTC

On 3/31/2022 8:30 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:23:33 -0600, PW
> <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
>> Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III
>
> I'd take you up on it... except I'm already a member. Heck, I'd cancel
> my membership and rejoin, except I'm grandfathered in on an older plan
> that ensures I get all the games every month instead of having to
> select only a few. Sorry.

Why does that not surprise me?

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t26atn$37h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6684&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6684

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:51:19 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 07:51 UTC

Am 31.03.22 um 19:23 schrieb PW:
> I used to be a subscriber to Columbia Records when I was a kid. CD of
> the month club. Got me in more trouble because I would forget I had a
> quota to buy at least one CD because they sent me my choice of a dozen
> or so for a $1 (or whatever it was). They were nasty about it when I
> got behind. I think they even threatened a lawsuit or two!
Main difference... you pay and you either take the games or leave it but
they stay in your account. I have yet to have one month where I did not
at least like 2 of the games, most of the times it is 3-4, so it is well
worth the money.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t26dct$lue$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6688&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6688

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:33:31 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 08:33 UTC

On 31/03/2022 18:23, PW wrote:
> Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III
>
> I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
> donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
> one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
> are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).
>
> Reminds me of a Steven Wright (dead pan comedian from the Boston area)
> joke "If I had everything, where would I put it?".
>
> I would add "When would I play it?".
>
> I used to be a subscriber to Columbia Records when I was a kid. CD of
> the month club. Got me in more trouble because I would forget I had a
> quota to buy at least one CD because they sent me my choice of a dozen
> or so for a $1 (or whatever it was). They were nasty about it when I
> got behind. I think they even threatened a lawsuit or two!
>
> But, I doubt HB is anything like that!

Desparados:III is one of the very few games I've bought which get into
the triple-A price bracket. It was a bit of a no brainer as I really
liked Shadow Tactics there previous game so I knew I was going to like
this one.

It's not particular innovative (nor was Shadow Tactics) but what it does
it does very well. The most amazing thing though, I actually enjoyed the
characters and their banter with each other.

As an aside you may want to take a look at Shadow Tactics unless the
setting isn't for you as it's often on sale at Steam and if not you
should be able to pick it up for £2-£3 from one of the many key selling
sites. It really it the same game but just a little less polished.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<9t6e4ht0qnc045m0vlu98d35d8o12910fn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6690&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6690

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 09:37:21 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:37 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:33:31 +0100, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>On 31/03/2022 18:23, PW wrote:
>> Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III
>>
>> I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
>> donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
>> one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
>> are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).
>>
>> Reminds me of a Steven Wright (dead pan comedian from the Boston area)
>> joke "If I had everything, where would I put it?".
>>
>> I would add "When would I play it?".
>>
>> I used to be a subscriber to Columbia Records when I was a kid. CD of
>> the month club. Got me in more trouble because I would forget I had a
>> quota to buy at least one CD because they sent me my choice of a dozen
>> or so for a $1 (or whatever it was). They were nasty about it when I
>> got behind. I think they even threatened a lawsuit or two!
>>
>> But, I doubt HB is anything like that!
>>

>Desparados:III is one of the very few games I've bought which get into
>the triple-A price bracket. It was a bit of a no brainer as I really
>liked Shadow Tactics there previous game so I knew I was going to like
>this one.
>
>It's not particular innovative (nor was Shadow Tactics) but what it does
>it does very well. The most amazing thing though, I actually enjoyed the
>characters and their banter with each other.
>
>As an aside you may want to take a look at Shadow Tactics unless the
>setting isn't for you as it's often on sale at Steam and if not you
>should be able to pick it up for £2-£3 from one of the many key selling
>sites. It really it the same game but just a little less polished.

*---

I have Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. I played it for a
little while and liked it. It did remind me of Desperados 3. I
decided I should go back to the former because of it being an American
Western if I was going to get back into these types.

-pw

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t27bic$3vc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6692&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6692

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:08:28 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:08 UTC

On 01/04/2022 16:37, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:33:31 +0100, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 31/03/2022 18:23, PW wrote:
>>> Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III
>>>
>>> I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
>>> donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
>>> one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
>>> are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).
>>>
>>> Reminds me of a Steven Wright (dead pan comedian from the Boston area)
>>> joke "If I had everything, where would I put it?".
>>>
>>> I would add "When would I play it?".
>>>
>>> I used to be a subscriber to Columbia Records when I was a kid. CD of
>>> the month club. Got me in more trouble because I would forget I had a
>>> quota to buy at least one CD because they sent me my choice of a dozen
>>> or so for a $1 (or whatever it was). They were nasty about it when I
>>> got behind. I think they even threatened a lawsuit or two!
>>>
>>> But, I doubt HB is anything like that!
>>>

>> Desparados:III is one of the very few games I've bought which get into
>> the triple-A price bracket. It was a bit of a no brainer as I really
>> liked Shadow Tactics there previous game so I knew I was going to like
>> this one.
>>
>> It's not particular innovative (nor was Shadow Tactics) but what it does
>> it does very well. The most amazing thing though, I actually enjoyed the
>> characters and their banter with each other.
>>
>> As an aside you may want to take a look at Shadow Tactics unless the
>> setting isn't for you as it's often on sale at Steam and if not you
>> should be able to pick it up for £2-£3 from one of the many key selling
>> sites. It really it the same game but just a little less polished.
>

> *---
>
> I have Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. I played it for a
> little while and liked it. It did remind me of Desperados 3. I
> decided I should go back to the former because of it being an American
> Western if I was going to get back into these types.

They are pretty much the same game in a different setting but if you
prefer the very much 1960's wild west setting then Desparados 3 is the
one to go for. I'm just hoping they can do way based on the likes of the
Dirty Dozen or something similar.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<r3ne4hh6tsj6hmnm0nnv0nv6llae8a1u0f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6698&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6698

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:15:37 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:15 UTC

>> *---
>>
>> I have Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. I played it for a
>> little while and liked it. It did remind me of Desperados 3. I
>> decided I should go back to the former because of it being an American
>> Western if I was going to get back into these types.
>>

>They are pretty much the same game in a different setting but if you
>prefer the very much 1960's wild west setting then Desparados 3 is the
>one to go for. I'm just hoping they can do way based on the likes of the
>Dirty Dozen or something similar.

*--

Maybe Guns of the Magnificant Seven :-)

If you have never seen it JAB then you must!

There is no way Hollywood could ever make a movie like that. There
aren't that many great actors and actresses (if any on both
categories) alive today and haven't been for decades.

Not enough talent could be put together in a film, especially a
western. And no, I never could get into Lonesome Dove and what's his
hame with the big mustache.

-pw

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t27p4h$mpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6701&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6701

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:00:03 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:00 UTC

On 4/1/2022 10:08 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 01/04/2022 16:37, PW wrote:
>>
>> I have Shadow Tactics:  Blades of the Shogun.  I played it for a
>> little while and liked it.  It did remind me of Desperados 3.  I
>> decided I should go back to the former because of it being an American
>> Western if I was going to get back into these types.
>>

> They are pretty much the same game in a different setting but if you
> prefer the very much 1960's wild west setting then Desparados 3 is the
> one to go for. I'm just hoping they can do way based on the likes of the
> Dirty Dozen or something similar.

Is you character on the side of the Hippies and Beatniks or on the side
of The Establishment and The Man? ;)

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<ahcs4htsnqu6ic88rg5cfaccpbpuu4hi1h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6825&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6825

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 20:53:00 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 00:53 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:23:33 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Mass Effect Legendary Editiong Trilogy and Desparodos III

>I am not a subscription guy. Not a game of the month guy. I know HB
>donates money to charity (don't know which ones besides the Ukraine
>one - I don't trust charities and foundations for the most part. Most
>are probably taxpayer and money laundring scams).

Just a followup:

Humble Bundle released some info about its charity efforts in 2021.*
It's largely low-info humble-brag, but if you're interested in how
much and to which charities the money went, that's a good starting
point. A quick summary: $13.5million USD**, divvied up between over
15,000 (!) charities. Crisis/disaster relief got the bulk of the cash,
with education, climate, hunger, and equality aid among the others.

Honestly, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, given how many sales
Humble Bundle makes. I expected that amount of money moved to the
charities would be significantly larger. Then again, without a larger
breakdown - how much revenue they collected, what their costs were -
it's hard to make an accurate judgement. The sheer number of charities
involved is worrisome too; I don't have quite as negative a view of
them as does PW above, but when you're dealing with 15,000 charities,
it's difficult to ensure that all of them are using the donations
correctly.

In any event, I'm happy that some of those moneys have been used for a
good cause, rather than simply for lining somebody else's pocket.
Would I like them to do better, both in the amount of the donation and
accounting that the money is used responsibly? Of course. Do I
recommend "HumbleBundle" as a primary method of charity and donations?
No. But if you're going to buy games anyway, might as well do it in a
way that helps - even in a little bit - people in need.

IMHO, YMMV. Anyway, the info is in the link below, if you're
interested.

------------
* https://blog.humblebundle.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Humble_SocialImpact_2021-C.pdf

** Do I need to put a $ in front of a number if I add the USD suffix?
It seems like ATM-machine repetitive duplication. Inquiring minds want
to know.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2ll6c$8qo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6827&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6827

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:18:39 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 03:18 UTC

On 4/6/2022 5:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> ** Do I need to put a $ in front of a number if I add the USD suffix?
> It seems like ATM-machine repetitive duplication. Inquiring minds want
> to know.

Yes, you do because the US isn't the only country using currency they
call "dollars" which use the same $ symbol.

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2m5jd$7cv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6832&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6832

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:58:36 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:58 UTC

On 07/04/2022 01:53, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> ** Do I need to put a $ in front of a number if I add the USD suffix?
> It seems like ATM-machine repetitive duplication. Inquiring minds want
> to know.

Probably best as I'd imagine that USD isn't understood by everybody so
you need both that and '$' to donate which currency. I'd probably add
that one of my bug bears (and this is a generalisation) in the online
world is that amount of people from the US who will use abbreviations
for states (as everybody knows them right) or talk about our government
as though there is only one government in the world. My favourite
though, the constitution says. Do they not realise that the US
constitution only applies in, well the US - the clue's in the name.

Saying all of that I almost always write just '£', without the GBP, but
I think that's ok as we had an empire so that's one of the perks!

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2muh1$4sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6840&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6840

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 15:04 UTC

On 4/7/2022 12:58 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 01:53, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> ** Do I need to put a $ in front of a number if I add the USD suffix?
>> It seems like ATM-machine repetitive duplication. Inquiring minds want
>> to know.
>
> Probably best as I'd imagine that USD isn't understood by everybody so
> you need both that and '$' to donate which currency. I'd probably add
> that one of my bug bears (and this is a generalisation) in the online
> world is that amount of people from the US who will use abbreviations
> for states (as everybody knows them right) or talk about our government
> as though there is only one government in the world. My favourite
> though, the constitution says. Do they not realise that the US
> constitution only applies in, well the US - the clue's in the name.
>
> Saying all of that I almost always write just '£', without the GBP, but
> I think that's ok as we had an empire so that's one of the perks!

The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
countries that call one of their currency denominations that.

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<hv0u4h9sc6ufr433jbgss796nj40kjb56f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6842&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6842

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 11:35:25 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 15:35 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 4/7/2022 12:58 AM, JAB wrote:
>> On 07/04/2022 01:53, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>> ** Do I need to put a $ in front of a number if I add the USD suffix?
>>> It seems like ATM-machine repetitive duplication. Inquiring minds want
>>> to know.

>The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
>countries that call one of their currency denominations that.

Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
South Sudan.

(And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)

Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.

(because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2nc37$57n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6848&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6848

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:55:34 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

On 07/04/2022 16:35, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
>> countries that call one of their currency denominations that.
>
> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
> South Sudan.
>
> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>
> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>

> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)

But what have the Romans ever done for us!

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2ni3d$se7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6852&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6852

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:38:07 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:38 UTC

On 4/7/2022 8:35 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
>> countries that call one of their currency denominations that.
>
> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
> South Sudan.
>
> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>
> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>

> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)

:P Aren't Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey part of the UK?

But I will concede that the South Sudan Pound is a huge deal in the
international money exchanges. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2ni4r$se7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6853&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6853

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:38:53 -0700

On 4/7/2022 11:55 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 16:35, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
>>> countries that call one of their currency denominations that.
>>
>> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
>> South Sudan.
>>
>> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>>
>> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>>

>> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)
>>

> But what have the Romans ever done for us!

Besides paved roads, sanitation and peace?

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<XnsAE735A32AEBE8mpndisorg@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6862&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6862

From: markpnel...@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:52:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in news:t2ni4r$se7$2@dont-
email.me:

> On 4/7/2022 11:55 AM, JAB wrote:
>> On 07/04/2022 16:35, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
>>> South Sudan.
>>>
>>> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>>>
>>> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>>>

>>> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)
>>>

>> But what have the Romans ever done for us!
>>
> Besides paved roads, sanitation and peace?

Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<lo015h9v2ghusu0h1f8ll6e3op84ckkdkr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6867&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6867

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:04:09 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:04 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:38:07 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/7/2022 8:35 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:04:02 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> The pound symbol alone works because there really aren't any other
>>> countries that call one of their currency denominations that.

>> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
>> South Sudan.
>> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)

>:P Aren't Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey part of the UK?

Both Jersey and the Isle of Man are self-governing, and not part of
the UK, although it is a Crown Dependency and the UK is responsible
for their defense (these are the two I knew about).

Guernsey has a similar status, but apparently its administation is a
bit more tied to the UK. Gibraltar is also self-governing and its
head-of-state is, officially, the Queen of England, but - like all the
rest - it isn't part of the UK. It is responsible to the British
government in respect of defense, foreign policy, internal security
and general good governance (these two I didn't know, and had to read
up about on Wikipedia).

Apparently they have their own coinage (poundage?), although I've no
idea how much actual use they get. I'm certain if you went there with
UK pound sterling, they'd happily accept it without bothering to
convert it to local money.

But their close association with - even if not actual membership of -
the UK is why I added the 'technically' in my response. Given its long
and ragged history, what most people consider "the UK" is actually
much more complex than that, being divided into the UK, Crown
Dependencies, the Commonwealth, and God-knows how many other
variations.

>But I will concede that the South Sudan Pound is a huge deal in the
>international money exchanges. ;)

Don't mock it; you can get 5 of 'em for a ruble!

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2q4cm$ujb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6871&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6871

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:02:32 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:02 UTC

On 4/8/2022 8:52 AM, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in news:t2ni4r$se7$2@dont-
> email.me:

> suffix?
> want

>>> But what have the Romans ever done for us!
>>>
>> Besides paved roads, sanitation and peace?
>>

> Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

What if you already lived in a desert before the Romans arrived?

dirty old man.

Re: Two games I like alot are supposedly $11.99 if someone joins Humble Bundle

<t2rj8i$es8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6878&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6878

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Humble Bundle
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:22:25 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:22 UTC

On 08/04/2022 20:04, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:38:07 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/7/2022 8:35 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>> Well, other than Egypt. And Syria. And Lebanon. And Sudan. And also
>>> South Sudan.
>>> (And, technically, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey.)
>>> Other than that, only the UK uses the pound.
>>> (because when ya gotta pedant, you gotta pedant ;-)
>
>> :P Aren't Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man and Jersey part of the UK?
>
> Both Jersey and the Isle of Man are self-governing, and not part of
> the UK, although it is a Crown Dependency and the UK is responsible
> for their defense (these are the two I knew about).
>
> Guernsey has a similar status, but apparently its administation is a
> bit more tied to the UK. Gibraltar is also self-governing and its
> head-of-state is, officially, the Queen of England, but - like all the
> rest - it isn't part of the UK. It is responsible to the British
> government in respect of defense, foreign policy, internal security
> and general good governance (these two I didn't know, and had to read
> up about on Wikipedia).
>
> Apparently they have their own coinage (poundage?), although I've no
> idea how much actual use they get. I'm certain if you went there with
> UK pound sterling, they'd happily accept it without bothering to
> convert it to local money.
>
> But their close association with - even if not actual membership of -
> the UK is why I added the 'technically' in my response. Given its long
> and ragged history, what most people consider "the UK" is actually
> much more complex than that, being divided into the UK, Crown
> Dependencies, the Commonwealth, and God-knows how many other
> variations.
>

>> But I will concede that the South Sudan Pound is a huge deal in the
>> international money exchanges. ;)
>
> Don't mock it; you can get 5 of 'em for a ruble!

Guernsey is different from Gibraltar in that the first is a Crown
Dependency and the Second is an Overseas Territory. The Commonwealth is
a different thing and really is just a hang-over from the collapse of
the British Empire.

It's all rather complicated as the UK is one country except when it
comes to football, cricket and others but a single country when it comes
to the Olympics and that includes football. Then we are a country which
is made up of other countries or countries and a province depending on
who you speak to. Britain can also refer to the UK or just Great Britain
to add to the confusion.

To be quite honest I'm not sure anyone really understands it except our
government and even that's doubtful as they didn't seem to understand
what leaving the EU meant nor what was in the Good Friday Agreement.