They are relatively good but absolutely terrible. -- Alan Kay, commenting on Apollos

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Halting Example?

SubjectAuthor
* Halting Example?Douglas Eagleson
+- Re: Halting Example?Don Stockbauer
`- Re: Halting Example?Don Stockbauer

1
Halting Example?

<84d67822-4ffd-4650-98da-6cb304b9ef48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6680&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6680

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Halting Example?
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:36 UTC

Way back an IBM scientist invented a single
shuffling of the atom. A path for this atom
was an array of atoms on a cold plate of
copper. The shuffle begins the second the atom
is placed in thee array.

So infer the shuffle is long lived and halting
is the outcome of system state. Now place a charge
on the atom and discover how to transfer the charge
to the atom array in such a fashion as to disrupt
the atom movement to a breakdown state.

This appears to be a kind of clock system, but is
it a halting??

maybe make an analogy to a van de Graff
accelerator.. If the high voltage system shorts
it can burn out the accelerator. This is like
a big internal spark.

Begging the question does a spring powered
clock halt?

Re: Halting Example?

<be800f1c-fb58-46e1-8cd3-6d8d96d48264n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6681&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6681

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Halting Example?
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:52 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:36:43 PM UTC-5, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> Way back an IBM scientist invented a single
> shuffling of the atom. A path for this atom
> was an array of atoms on a cold plate of
> copper. The shuffle begins the second the atom
> is placed in thee array.
>
> So infer the shuffle is long lived and halting
> is the outcome of system state. Now place a charge
> on the atom and discover how to transfer the charge
> to the atom array in such a fashion as to disrupt
> the atom movement to a breakdown state.
>
> This appears to be a kind of clock system, but is
> it a halting??
>
> maybe make an analogy to a van de Graff
> accelerator.. If the high voltage system shorts
> it can burn out the accelerator. This is like
> a big internal spark.
>
> Begging the question does a spring powered
> clock halt?

Re: Halting Example?

<0e61d60c-6b07-4a89-ab3d-30bfe83720b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6682&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6682

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:54 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:36:43 PM UTC-5, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> Way back an IBM scientist invented a single
> shuffling of the atom. A path for this atom
> was an array of atoms on a cold plate of
> copper. The shuffle begins the second the atom
> is placed in thee array.
>
> So infer the shuffle is long lived and halting
> is the outcome of system state. Now place a charge
> on the atom and discover how to transfer the charge
> to the atom array in such a fashion as to disrupt
> the atom movement to a breakdown state.
>
> This appears to be a kind of clock system, but is
> it a halting??
>
> maybe make an analogy to a van de Graff
> accelerator.. If the high voltage system shorts
> it can burn out the accelerator. This is like
> a big internal spark.
>
> Begging the question does a spring powered
> clock halt?

I don't know much to say except about the spring powered clock . "Halt" seems
to me like the absence of motion when everything is still within the clock. let's go to the lower level of the atoms and molecules of the clock, they do not stop ever.