Say "twenty-three-skiddoo" to logout.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

SubjectAuthor
* Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
`* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBBig Al
 `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
  `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBBig Al
   `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
    `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBDavid Catterall
     `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
      +* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
      |`- Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
      `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBDavid Catterall
       `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
        +* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        |`* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        | +- Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        | `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
        |  `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        |   `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        |    `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        |     `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
        |      `- Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBPaul
        `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBDavid Catterall
         +- Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBMike Easter
         `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBPaul
          `* Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBNic
           `- Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USBPaul

1
Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<sVsDM.559451$mPI2.277065@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6666&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6666

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:37:28 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:37 UTC

https://itsfoss.com/install-woeusb-ubuntu/#installing-woeusb-on-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros

Want to create a bootable Windows USB on Linux? Ventoy is a pretty good
option.

But before Ventoy, WoeUSB used to be the go-to tool for this purpose.
The original WoeUSB project got discontinued around 2014.

Owing to its popularity, a new developer took the task of bringing the
project back from the dead. And hence WoeUSB-ng was born. “ng” here
stands for “new generation”. In other words, WoeUSB-ng
<https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng?ref=itsfoss.com> is the new
generation WoeUSB. But since the original tool doesn’t exist anymore,
I’ll be referring WoeUSB-ng as WoeUSB.

Installed and works in LM 20.3

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ublmkl$3s2di$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6667&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6667

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:50:12 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:50 UTC

On 8/17/23 13:37, this is what Nic wrote:
> https://itsfoss.com/install-woeusb-ubuntu/#installing-woeusb-on-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros
>
> Want to create a bootable Windows USB on Linux? Ventoy is a pretty good option.
>
> But before Ventoy, WoeUSB used to be the go-to tool for this purpose. The original WoeUSB project got discontinued
> around 2014.
>
> Owing to its popularity, a new developer took the task of bringing the project back from the dead. And hence WoeUSB-ng
> was born. “ng” here stands for “new generation”. In other words, WoeUSB-ng
> <https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng?ref=itsfoss.com> is the new generation WoeUSB. But since the original tool doesn’t
> exist anymore, I’ll be referring WoeUSB-ng as WoeUSB.
>

> Installed and works in LM 20.3

So what does it do that Ventoy doesn't. Or what is better maybe?
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<e8tDM.511861$TCKc.233930@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6668&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6668

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:53:14 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:53 UTC

On 8/17/23 1:50 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 8/17/23 13:37, this is what Nic wrote:
>> https://itsfoss.com/install-woeusb-ubuntu/#installing-woeusb-on-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros
>>

>> Want to create a bootable Windows USB on Linux? Ventoy is a pretty
>> good option.
>>
>> But before Ventoy, WoeUSB used to be the go-to tool for this purpose.
>> The original WoeUSB project got discontinued around 2014.
>>
>> Owing to its popularity, a new developer took the task of bringing
>> the project back from the dead. And hence WoeUSB-ng was born. “ng”
>> here stands for “new generation”. In other words, WoeUSB-ng
>> <https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng?ref=itsfoss.com> is the new
>> generation WoeUSB. But since the original tool doesn’t exist anymore,
>> I’ll be referring WoeUSB-ng as WoeUSB.
>>

>> Installed and works in LM 20.3
>>
> So what does it do that Ventoy doesn't.  Or what is better maybe?
I think it is easier to use than Ventoy. It is easier to make a windows
iso bootble thumb drive , compared to making the actual Ventoy drive.

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubln8o$3s7cq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6670&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6670

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:00:54 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:00 UTC

On 8/17/23 13:53, this is what Nic wrote:
> On 8/17/23 1:50 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 8/17/23 13:37, this is what Nic wrote:
>>> https://itsfoss.com/install-woeusb-ubuntu/#installing-woeusb-on-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros
>>>
>>> Want to create a bootable Windows USB on Linux? Ventoy is a pretty good option.
>>>
>>> But before Ventoy, WoeUSB used to be the go-to tool for this purpose. The original WoeUSB project got discontinued
>>> around 2014.
>>>
>>> Owing to its popularity, a new developer took the task of bringing the project back from the dead. And hence
>>> WoeUSB-ng was born. “ng” here stands for “new generation”. In other words, WoeUSB-ng
>>> <https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB-ng?ref=itsfoss.com> is the new generation WoeUSB. But since the original tool
>>> doesn’t exist anymore, I’ll be referring WoeUSB-ng as WoeUSB.
>>>

>>> Installed and works in LM 20.3
>>>
>> So what does it do that Ventoy doesn't.  Or what is better maybe?
> I think it is easier to use than Ventoy. It is easier to make a windows iso bootble thumb drive , compared to making the
> actual Ventoy drive.
But can you add multiple ISO files like Ventoy?
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<4AuDM.170378$f7Ub.38410@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6675&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6675

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:31:12 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:31 UTC

On 8/17/23 2:00 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 8/17/23 13:53, this is what Nic wrote:

>>> So what does it do that Ventoy doesn't.  Or what is better maybe?
>> I think it is easier to use than Ventoy. It is easier to make a
>> windows iso bootble thumb drive , compared to making the actual
>> Ventoy drive.
> But can you add multiple ISO files like Ventoy?
I don't think so, it will make a thumb drive bootable with a windows os .

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubo28n$a5ig$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6679&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6679

From: djc...@eircom.net (David Catterall)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:20:55 +0100
 by: David Catterall - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:20 UTC

On 17/08/2023 20:31, Nic wrote:

> On 8/17/23 2:00 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> But can you add multiple ISO files like Ventoy?

> I don't think so, it will make a thumb drive bootable with a windows os .

My reading of the articles on ItsFoss and GitHub is that it makes a
Windows *installation* thumbdrive. Unless you're modifying a Windows
system which is already on the machine, this is going to take some time
to get to a Login screen.

David in Co Longford

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<nkMDM.84127$zW7d.59705@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6680&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6680

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 11:43:15 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:43 UTC

On 8/18/23 11:20 AM, David Catterall wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 20:31, Nic wrote:
>
>> On 8/17/23 2:00 PM, Big Al wrote:
>>> But can you add multiple ISO files like Ventoy?
>
>> I don't think so, it will make a thumb drive bootable with a windows
>> os .
>
> My reading of the articles on ItsFoss and GitHub is that it makes a
> Windows *installation* thumbdrive. Unless you're modifying a Windows
> system which is already on the machine, this is going to take some
> time to get to a Login screen.
>
> David in Co Longford
I am not sure what you mean "take some time to get to a Login screen",
this software will let you make a windows os.iso bootable on to a usb
thumb drive. It seems that windows is more challenging to make make
boot-able in Linux.

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9j54FrhcgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6681&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6681

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:04:51 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:04 UTC

Nic wrote:
> this software will let you make a windows os.iso bootable on to a usb
> thumb drive. It seems that windows is more challenging to make make
> boot-able in Linux.

I'm just reading, I haven't done any of this for Win w/ Woe or Ventoy.

Woe: install the .py to a linux distro, link example Ub. Dl a Win .iso
from MS, link gives a link. Run Woe (graphical or command) to write the
..iso to an 8G min USB stick. Woe (slowly) writes 6G of files to the USB.

The way Ventoy would do that using linux would be that I would use
Ventoy's linux web install to write it to a USB. Nothing need be
'installed' to linux. Ventoy says it will do all of the Win/s from 7
on, including servers and WinPE, so I would copy the Win .iso to the
USB, which I think would be faster than Woe's writing which I suspect is
a file system structure, seeing as how it is 6G.

One could also use Ventoy's Win installer to write it to USB, if they
were so Win inclined.

I would say that the Ventoy result is more flexible than the Woe, as one
could put however many .iso/s on the USB stick that its size would
accommodate.

I might use my Ventoy stick and write a Hiren's legacy and PE, since I
haven't 'Ventoyed' a Win yet.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9kkcFrpnhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6683&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6683

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:30:03 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:30 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> so I would copy the Win .iso to the USB, which I think would be faster
> than Woe's writing which I suspect is a file system structure, seeing as
> how it is 6G.

Hmm. I just evaluated the size of the W10 .iso which is 5.7G, so I
would say I don't 'know' how Woe does it; maybe it just copies the .iso
like Ventoy does.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubo6gg$auno$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6684&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6684

From: djc...@eircom.net (David Catterall)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:33:20 +0100
 by: David Catterall - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:33 UTC

On 18/08/2023 16:43, Nic wrote:

> I am not sure what you mean "take some time to get to a Login screen",
> this software will let you make a windows os.iso bootable on to a usb
> thumb drive. It seems that windows is more challenging to make make
> boot-able in Linux.

Apologies, but I'm commenting on something I've never tried! :-)

Since the thumbdrive from WoeUSB is a Windows installation disk then
won't you need to answer questions which Windows requires for an
installation every time you run it? It's not going to be a 'Live Disk'
in the Linux sense of the term. I say this because some posters like
BigAl have referred to a multi-OS disk produced by Ventoy.

Cheers,
David in Co Longford

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<WaNDM.698869$AsA.595382@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6686&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6686

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:41:26 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:41 UTC

On 8/18/23 12:33 PM, David Catterall wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 16:43, Nic wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what you mean "take some time to get to a Login
>> screen", this software will let you make a windows os.iso bootable on
>> to a usb thumb drive. It seems that windows is more challenging to
>> make make boot-able in Linux.
>
> Apologies, but I'm commenting on something I've never tried! :-)
>
> Since the thumbdrive from WoeUSB is a Windows installation disk then
> won't you need to answer questions which Windows requires for an
> installation every time you run it? It's not going to be a 'Live Disk'
> in the Linux sense of the term. I say this because some posters like
> BigAl have referred to a multi-OS disk produced by Ventoy.
>
> Cheers,
> David in Co Longford
That is correct, you will have to answer the questions in order to
perform the installation of windows. I have and used the ventoy software
but I have not tried using ventoy for a windows installation. The thing
that I found most interesting, running under Linux, there are very few
options to burning a windows iso that will be bootable.

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9m6oFs13nU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6687&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6687

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:56:55 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:56 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I have not tried using ventoy for a windows installation.

Ventoy will boot just about everything they say it can, 1100 .iso/s,
except Easy OS (so far for me, but...).

And, I haven't tried Easy on the *newest* Ventoy. The last time I had
some kind of problem booting something, I just needed to upgrade my
Ventoy to the newest, current release was Jul 20.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9nd4Fs71rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6688&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6688

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:17:23 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:17 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Ventoy will boot just about everything they say it can, 1100 .iso/s,
> except Easy OS (so far for me, but...).

Oops. My 'apologies' to Easy & Ventoy. I just booted Easy 5.0 on the
current Ventoy just fine. So I have to say, for me, Ventoy will boot
everything they say it can.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9p6gFsg68U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6689&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6689

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:47:59 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:47 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> I just booted Easy 5.0 on the current Ventoy just fine.

And now the current Easy 5.4. Barry K sez:

> EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.4 has undergone many changes since
> 5.0. There are now four package managers: PKGget, SFSget, Flapi and
> Appi -- the latter two are for installing and managing Flatpaks and
> AppImages. Each app runs as its own user; for example, Kdenlive video
> editor runs as user 'kdenlive', providing isolation from other apps.
> The packages in EasyOS are compiled from source, now at the
> OpenEmbedded/Yocto Kirkstone 4.0.10 release. Greatly improved
> international language support for French, Spanish and Russian. The
> default built-in browser is Chromium; however, menu entries are
> provided to download Firefox and Vivaldi, and also update them. They
> also run as their own user!

Easy is much into its own style of app isolation which is MUCH more
efficient than others, as you might expect from the creator of such as
Puppy :-)

This openembedded compilation makes for lean.

Naturally I'm drifting way off-topic here.

.... except to say Woe can't do any of this.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubob0s$bj1n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6690&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6690

From: djc...@eircom.net (David Catterall)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 18:50:20 +0100
 by: David Catterall - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:50 UTC

On 18/08/2023 17:41, Nic wrote:

> ... The thing
> that I found most interesting, running under Linux, there are very few
> options to burning a windows iso that will be bootable.

I seem to remember that back in the WinXP days there was a cut-down
version of Windows which you could run as a Live CD. I think it was
called WinPE.

D.

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kk9ppsFsj4dU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6691&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6691

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:58:18 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:58 UTC

David Catterall wrote:
> I seem to remember that back in the WinXP days there was a cut-down
> version of Windows which you could run as a Live CD. I think it was
> called WinPE.

The ones I know about in terms of 'cut down' and XP is the 'old version'
Hiren's BootCD, which .zip is only about 600 meg; whereas the newer
Hiren's PE based on W10 PE is 2.9G.

Both of them are importantly FULL OF tools, which in the case of the old
version, also includes linux tools.

Allegedly all freeware, but in actuality some free has become shareware
and 'otherwise'.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<UdPDM.518261$TCKc.33624@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6692&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6692

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:01:08 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:01 UTC

On 8/18/23 1:17 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Ventoy will boot just about everything they say it can, 1100 .iso/s,
>> except Easy OS (so far for me, but...).
>
> Oops.  My 'apologies' to Easy & Ventoy.  I just booted Easy 5.0 on the
> current Ventoy just fine.  So I have to say, for me, Ventoy will boot
> everything they say it can.

Have you tried a windows iso?

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<uboimq$cmqi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6693&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6693

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:01:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:01 UTC

On 8/18/2023 1:50 PM, David Catterall wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 17:41, Nic wrote:
>
>> ... The thing that I found most interesting, running under Linux, there are very few options to burning a windows iso that will be bootable.
>
> I seem to remember that back in the WinXP days there was a cut-down version of Windows which you could run as a Live CD. I think it was called WinPE.
>
> D.

It was called BartPE.

I used to keep a copy of Windows Backup software in there,
for easy restoration of a Windows-made backup. The "official"
Microsoft routine at the time for that, involved floppy diskettes!
The BartPE CD was so so easy.

The Microsoft official follow-on, is called WinPE. WinPE boots
to drive X: and is stored in RAM. This allows WinPE media to be
unplugged, and the USB port can then be used for the backup
storage USB drive.

WinPE stands for Windows Preinstallation Environment.

WinRE (on C: or other places), stands for Windows Recovery Environment,
for when C: is damaged and the machine wants to run CHKDSK and
tip C: upright again (automatic recovery).

A Windows Installer DVD, is a WinPE RAMdisk image, plus
a much larger install .wim file which contains all the
OS files to be installed. The install .wim is not loaded
into RAM, as that would take too much RAM on small machines.

*******

There is a portable version of Windows called "Windows To Go".
You can carry a USB stick in your pocket, and take your
portable environment with you.

The OS drives, the hard drives, are very similar to Linux now.
I can take the W11 drive installed on the Zen3 computer,
and plug that drive into the Intel machine (without a TPM) and...
it still boots, and it still works. A lot like my Linux drive
which I move between those two machines.

Windows now has

Windows Subsystem for Linux
Windows Subsystem for Android

On a daily basis, I run *Linux* Firefox on my Windows desktop.
It is basically a rootless VM kind of window. But without the
need of VirtualBox or VMWare.

They still haven't added MacOS... :-) Damn.

Paul

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<_lQDM.801515$GMN3.179412@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6694&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6694

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:18:02 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:18 UTC

On 8/18/23 4:01 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/18/2023 1:50 PM, David Catterall wrote:
>> On 18/08/2023 17:41, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> ... The thing that I found most interesting, running under Linux, there are very few options to burning a windows iso that will be bootable.
>> I seem to remember that back in the WinXP days there was a cut-down version of Windows which you could run as a Live CD. I think it was called WinPE.
>>
>> D.
> It was called BartPE.
>
> I used to keep a copy of Windows Backup software in there,
> for easy restoration of a Windows-made backup. The "official"
> Microsoft routine at the time for that, involved floppy diskettes!
> The BartPE CD was so so easy.
>
> The Microsoft official follow-on, is called WinPE. WinPE boots
> to drive X: and is stored in RAM. This allows WinPE media to be
> unplugged, and the USB port can then be used for the backup
> storage USB drive.
>
> WinPE stands for Windows Preinstallation Environment.
>
> WinRE (on C: or other places), stands for Windows Recovery Environment,
> for when C: is damaged and the machine wants to run CHKDSK and
> tip C: upright again (automatic recovery).
>
> A Windows Installer DVD, is a WinPE RAMdisk image, plus
> a much larger install .wim file which contains all the
> OS files to be installed. The install .wim is not loaded
> into RAM, as that would take too much RAM on small machines.
>
> *******
>
> There is a portable version of Windows called "Windows To Go".
> You can carry a USB stick in your pocket, and take your
> portable environment with you.
>
> The OS drives, the hard drives, are very similar to Linux now.
> I can take the W11 drive installed on the Zen3 computer,
> and plug that drive into the Intel machine (without a TPM) and...
> it still boots, and it still works. A lot like my Linux drive
> which I move between those two machines.
>
> Windows now has
>
> Windows Subsystem for Linux
> Windows Subsystem for Android
>
> On a daily basis, I run *Linux* Firefox on my Windows desktop.
> It is basically a rootless VM kind of window. But without the
> need of VirtualBox or VMWare.
>
> They still haven't added MacOS... :-) Damn.
>
> Paul
re:
I can take the W11 drive installed on the Zen3 computer,and plug that
drive into the Intel machine (without a TPM) and...

it still boots, and it still works.

Has there been found a workable method that allows this for windows
machines. I have an old Dell laptop w/windows7 that the graphics crapped
out and I wanted to take the only ssdrive out and put into another Dell
laptop that is of the same series, the problem is the drive/machine will
not boot.

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kka25eFtqlpU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6695&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6695

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:21:02 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:21 UTC

Nic wrote:
> Have you tried a windows iso?

Not yet, but I will; probably one of the Hiren's because I already have
the .iso/s and also because I have no interest in dl/ing a conventional
Win .iso.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kka4dsFu6n6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6696&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6696

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:59:39 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:59 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> Have you tried a windows iso?
>
> Not yet, but I will; probably one of the Hiren's because I already have
> the .iso/s and also because I have no interest in dl/ing a conventional
> Win .iso.

Booted the Hiren's W10 PE on Ventoy just fine. Here's a page showing
the tools it contains.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The old v has more, but they are also older, but the .iso is a LOT
smaller and lighter for the XP environment instead of W10. I also like
that it has some linux tools; 'tho' there are linux rescue-type distro/s
that have more. The Hiren's tools are more graphically inclined, like
XP is more graphical than some linux utilities. I'm not finding a
Hiren's legacy saved handy, so I'll have to dl it.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/old-versions/

The Hiren's PE is more Win-oriented; whereas the legacy Hiren's is more
'generic' in terms of Win or linux either/or.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kka6t0F2q4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6697&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6697

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:41:51 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:41 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Booted the Hiren's W10 PE on Ventoy just fine.
>
> The Hiren's PE is more Win-oriented; whereas the legacy Hiren's is more
> 'generic' in terms of Win or linux either/or.

The older Hiren's boots from Ventoy just fine too. Now I remember how it
does its 'alternate' environments; from the boot menu. The 'mini XP' is
just one environment, with many alternatives incl linux & others.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<kka9q2FhphU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6698&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6698

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:31:29 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 22:31 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> The 'mini XP' is just one environment, with many alternatives incl linux
> & others.

From the Ventoy stick, the linux boot option (which is supposed to boot
into an ancient v of Parted Magic from 2012 Oct) doesn't work. The boot
function can't find the pmagic squash system. I've seen it work OK on a
conventionally written .iso to USB such as Rufus. That pmagic was a
graphical openbox WM.

So, I don't recommend Ventoy/ing the legacy Hiren's compared to its
flexibility booted from a conventional USB or even optical for which it
was originally intended w/ its small size fitting on a CD.

I was reading some about various linux multipurpose 'rescue' type
distro/s; I'm not sure that one distro fits all of the purposes one
might need; there's a difference eg between what Rescatux does and what
Rescuezilla does. One is an enhanced Clonezilla while the other is a
platform for Rescapp. And then there's Super Grub 2 which is also
different.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubp673$j58d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6699&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6699

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:34:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 01:34 UTC

On 8/18/2023 4:18 PM, Nic wrote:

> Has there been found a workable method that allows this for windows machines. I have an old Dell laptop w/windows7 that the graphics crapped out and I wanted to take the only ssdrive out and put into another Dell laptop that is of the same series, the problem is the drive/machine will not boot.

W10 and W11 seem to be transplant-able.

W7, one of the problems can be, that you need to "re-arm"
the driver detection, to allow it to boot. And in a Google
search, that is a horribly poor search term -- you'll never
find the registry change required, using a term like that.
They changed W10/W11 to auto-rearm. The early versions of
W10 were not all that pleasant on driver issues, but they
eventually improved that.

For example, if one machine, the BIOS SATA controller setting
was "AHCI", the other machine it was set to "Compatible", it might
require a W7 driver re-arm, for it to work. Look at the Stop message,
and see if it mentioned (in tiny print) "Inaccessible Boot Volume".

If both machines had AHCI (which might be considered "normal"
for such machines), maybe you would get past that point. The
driver in control on such a machine, is called MSAHCI.

The graphics driver should change to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter,
if the installed driver is not a match. It is also possible the
driver may claim to work with a detected graphics, but in reality
the driver is not ready for that particular one.

My two transplant-test machines, one has a 1080 video card, the
other has a 1050 card, and the driver for those is the same. This
improves the odds a transfer will work, and that is not an accidental
choice. At one time, I was using the AMD CPU graphics, but that stopped
when I changed processors (some of them don't have a GPU inside, and
then you need a cheap video card). And it would survive, going from
AMD to NVidia graphics.

W7 does not have a USB3 class driver (XHCI), but that would be unlikely
to prevent boot from completing. Mostly, you need to correct the SATA
selection, at BIOS level, and even if half the drivers don't load, it'll
still hobble along and you'll see a desktop. But if the storage driver
is wrong, it is not going anywhere. Simple things like mouse and keyboard
should be detectable - the exception being if all the computer ports
are in reality, XHCI ones.

*******

When testing drive-transfer, where the OS is not known for friendly
behavior, you can make an "exact clone" with dd, to a spare drive, before
moving the drive over. If the boot process trashes the drive, you will
then not mind so much. You can keep cloning over the original drive
onto your spare drive, until you get all the details of the recipe right.

I used to do it that way a lot in the old days, because
it could take more than one experiment to get it to work.

Paul

Re: Install WoeUSB on Ubuntu to Create a Bootable Windows USB

<ubp6gd$j6kb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6700&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6700

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:39:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 01:39 UTC

On 8/18/2023 6:31 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> The 'mini XP' is just one environment, with many alternatives incl linux & others.
>
> From the Ventoy stick, the linux boot option (which is supposed to boot into an ancient v of Parted Magic from 2012 Oct) doesn't work.  The boot function can't find the pmagic squash system.  I've seen it work OK on a conventionally written .iso to USB such as Rufus.  That pmagic was a graphical openbox WM.
>
> So, I don't recommend Ventoy/ing the legacy Hiren's compared to its flexibility booted from a conventional USB or even optical for which it was originally intended w/ its small size fitting on a CD.
>
> I was reading some about various linux multipurpose 'rescue' type distro/s; I'm not sure that one distro fits all of the purposes one might need; there's a difference eg between what Rescatux does and what Rescuezilla does.  One is an enhanced Clonezilla while the other is a platform for Rescapp.  And then there's Super Grub 2 which is also different.

The Boot Repair one, is one I like.

But, it does require a lot of "thinking" on the users part.

One attempt to repair a drive, just would not work.

At some point, I used a tool that examined the GPT setup,
and that told me "the second copy of the GPT partition table
was missing". After I fixed that, the Boot Repair worked
without a problem. But there was no hint at all, from
Boot Repair, that GPT was broken. I had to accidentally
figure that out on my own. Nothing about my recipe, suggested
that was going to happen either. That's one thing I hate about
GPT, is that second partition table up near the end.

Paul