All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

SubjectAuthor
* What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Ant
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?PW
|+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Justisaur
||`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?PW
|| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Justisaur
||  +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?PW
||  `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?JAB
||   +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Spalls Hurgenson
||   `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Justisaur
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?rms
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?PW
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Dimensional Traveler
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?rms
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?rms
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?PW
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?JAB
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?rms
| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?JAB
|  `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?rms
`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?Anssi Saari

1
What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<knee4hhjacsn4kfdenghqvjukclqu0s4gj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6695&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6695

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:11:11 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:11 UTC

Another month gone by. I have to admit, I've been dreading this day.
Normally I quite enjoy these posts, because it gives me an opportunity
to share my thoughts on a number of games. This month, though... this
month is different. I only played one game this month, and it's the
same damn game I was playing last month. And despite now putting more
than seven weeks into the title, I'm STILL not done with it.

But I guess there's a format to these things, and heaven forfend that
I deviate from my usual method.

TL;DR
------------------------------
* Witcher 3

Long Version
------------------------------
* Witcher 3: see last month's comments.

(right, like I'd leave it as short as that. You don't know me very
well if you think you'd escape that easily).

But it's true; I'm starting to develop a bit of a love-hate
relationship with this game. It's a quality title throughout, and I
have a lot of fun while playing it, but God-damn it if there isn't way
too much content. I'm longing to play something else, but I'll be
damned if I move on to something else without finishing this first (my
gaming history has shown me that if I do, I won't be coming back). So
I need - indeed, I want - to finish this game first. I just wish it
didn't take so long.

Of course, this is partly my fault. There's not a side-quest I won't
accept, not a hill I won't cross to see what's on the other side. But
the inclusion of the two DLC expansions doesn't help either; the
"Blood and Wine" quest adds about a third-more content to the already
long base game. Still, I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe, a
little bit of editorial prerogative might have been employed when
creating this game. I mean, honestly, after working my way through the
all of Novigrad and Velen, do I really need to do the same with the
Isles of Skellige?

Don't get me wrong. I love playing this game, and even sailing the
daunting watery wastes of the Skellige Isles are a joy; I feel like
Ged bobbing my way through Earthsea on my own personal Lookfar. I love
all the little touches this game uses to make the world feel more
alive, right down to Geralt's beard growing out as the game
progresses. I love whirling into battle to dismember bandits and
monsters in the witcher's dance of steel and blood (especially now
that I've earned my +Infinity swords from the "Blood and Wine"
expansion. Snikkity-snak, the limbs fly off!). I love the gritty
low-fantasy, low-magic world. And Gwent! Don't get me started on
Gwent! Why, they should make a game or three based on the Gwent alone!
;-)

But then I look at my backlog of games and - as much as I love
"Witcher 3" - I wonder why I'm pouring so much effort into a game I've
already finished. 'Let it finally end,' I cry silently. But it doesn't
stop... and so I guess neither will I.

But hopefully I'll be able to list more than one game by the time the
month of May rolls around.

------------------------------

Okay, so that's me for March. How 'bout you?

What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<q5Wdnf93J-HAwdr_nZ2dnUU7-fWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6697&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6697

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:11:09 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:11 UTC

Free games: Elite Dangerous (gave up since it was too tedious wiuth
little energy and time), Surviving the Aftermath (not my type), Stumble
Guys (fun), and a few iOS puzzle games.

--
History repeats itself. COVID-19 booster shot #2 early after Moderna's was finally approved for those who need it like weak people like old people and me. So far, no side effects like the last 3 (last booster shot was a few days before Halloween 2021) since slammy Thursday 8 AM PDT (have been sleeping & waking up early as an early ant (e.g., passed out after 9:18 PM PDT last night & just woke up b4 3 AM PDT today) so this was perfect). With the past shots, side effects resulted about 12 hrs. l8r 4 a few days. Weird/Odd! Did this shot failed? Also, time 2 move nest again. BTW, April Fool's Day & TGIF! Also, no shot yet (maybe next week). :D
| |o o| |

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<5jne4h1hql4s01vi7f9fcn8fa7i33bht11@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6699&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6699

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:27:28 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:27 UTC

On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:11:11 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> [...]

>monsters in the witcher's dance of steel and blood (especially now
>that I've earned my +Infinity swords from the "Blood and Wine"
>expansion. Snikkity-snak, the limbs fly off!). I love the gritty
>low-fantasy, low-magic world. And Gwent! Don't get me started on
>Gwent! Why, they should make a game or three based on the Gwent alone!
>;-)
>
>But then I look at my backlog of games and - as much as I love
>"Witcher 3" - I wonder why I'm pouring so much effort into a game I've
>already finished. 'Let it finally end,' I cry silently. But it doesn't
>stop... and so I guess neither will I.
>
>But hopefully I'll be able to list more than one game by the time the
>month of May rolls around.
>

>------------------------------
>
>Okay, so that's me for March. How 'bout you?
>
>What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

*--

Is it that time already? It is only April 1st! I guess you snooze
you looze hehe!

God of War: I am at a battle now with the twin brothers that just
won't end. I think I am close to the end but this seems to never end.
Got sick of it. So I moved on to an easier game :-):

Elden Ring: I am having the same excitement with it that I did when
Skrim came out. And addiction. So far, it is not as hard as Dark
Souls 3 but I know it will get there and I may get sick of it if I
don't start leveling up enough so I have a chance with the big guys.

Unreal Tournament 2004: Now that my brother is working during the
day, the only time we play it is for a little while on the weekends
now. I can't play it because my connection gets throttle down by my
ISP and people are streaming movies and TV shows. If I ever get the
ethernet adapter and mount from Starlink, I may be able to play at
night with him.

That is about it except once in a while I will boot up something quick
or fly around.

In February, GoW took up all my free gaming time. March it was ER.

My wife isn't feeling well and is taking a nap. Hoo Hoo! I am going
to close my office door and boot up ER for a while!

-pw

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t27pgb$3r8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6702&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6702

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:06:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

On 4/1/2022 11:11 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Okay, so that's me for March. How 'bout you?
>
> What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

Well, while Spalls has been bewitched I've gotten caught up in
logistics. Factory Town: https://www.gog.com/en/game/factory_town

No fighting, no starving peasants, no natural disasters, just collecting
resources, moving them around, building stuff and moving it around. At
least for me it is surprisingly engrossing with a definite "just one
more turn" appeal. After various frustrations with a couple of games
and some events in real life this is a perfect peaceful time killer.

dirty old man.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<e015a1c9-5cd4-452e-9115-4485bd4b85e2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6703&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6703

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:16 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 1:27:34 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:11:11 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Another month gone by. I have to admit, I've been dreading this day.
> >Normally I quite enjoy these posts, because it gives me an opportunity
> >to share my thoughts on a number of games. This month, though... this
> >month is different. I only played one game this month, and it's the
> >same damn game I was playing last month. And despite now putting more
> >than seven weeks into the title, I'm STILL not done with it.
> >
> >But I guess there's a format to these things, and heaven forfend that
> >I deviate from my usual method.
> >
> >TL;DR
> >------------------------------
> >* Witcher 3

Ha, well - my experience with DS3 and now ER is much the same. I might be
spoiled for all but the best now, I've probably got hundreds of free games
some of them even tempting to play just waiting for me. Other games
I want to buy and try as well like Guardians of the Galaxy. And try
hooking up the Oculus to my computer again now that I have a new
video card. A 3060 TI for anyone that missed the ER thread.

What did I play? Other than ER? I may have played something else in the
first week of the month besides DS3, but it's not coming back to me. So...

**** Elden Ring - Dark Souls in an open world and *ahem* 'easier' by the
same developer, apparently with some J.R.R. Martin writing. I'm not a fan
of his, but all the death an twisted relations certainly mesh well with
Dark Souls.

I don't really find the open world an improvement, nor the addition of
crafting, mostly the same stuff you used to just be able to buy from
a merchant in previous games.

Their netcode is still a hot mess, and their servers seem to be
crumbling under the load of just matchmaking with 4 times as many
people playing as expected.

Somehow even with all that it still manages to be enough of a souls
game and fun enough. On the improved side, I really like the addition
of ashes which let you summon NPC spirits to help, but only in
certain areas - I wish it was everywhere. I love guard counters where
if your shield is hit, you can hit heavy attack for an almost immediate
counter with more damage, some enemies are still too fast to do that
with big heavy weapons though.

Of course the graphics are greatly improved and quite impressive
with a card capable of handling it. The spells and weapon arts
are far more visually impressive.

Even with all that I'm feeling like I need a break from it after 3 weeks
which isn't that long considering my previous souls experience. I
just can't seem to tear myself away.

- Justisaur

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<cfue4h5756u2glukqgnfiho9ccd0vo35nf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6708&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6708

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 16:18:11 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:18 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 1:27:34 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:11:11 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Another month gone by. I have to admit, I've been dreading this day.
>> >Normally I quite enjoy these posts, because it gives me an opportunity
>> >to share my thoughts on a number of games. This month, though... this
>> >month is different. I only played one game this month, and it's the
>> >same damn game I was playing last month. And despite now putting more
>> >than seven weeks into the title, I'm STILL not done with it.
>> >
>> >But I guess there's a format to these things, and heaven forfend that
>> >I deviate from my usual method.
>> >
>> >TL;DR
>> >------------------------------
>> >* Witcher 3
>
>Ha, well - my experience with DS3 and now ER is much the same. I might be
>spoiled for all but the best now, I've probably got hundreds of free games
>some of them even tempting to play just waiting for me. Other games
>I want to buy and try as well like Guardians of the Galaxy. And try
>hooking up the Oculus to my computer again now that I have a new
>video card. A 3060 TI for anyone that missed the ER thread.
>
>What did I play? Other than ER? I may have played something else in the
>first week of the month besides DS3, but it's not coming back to me. So...
>
>**** Elden Ring - Dark Souls in an open world and *ahem* 'easier' by the
>same developer, apparently with some J.R.R. Martin writing. I'm not a fan
>of his, but all the death an twisted relations certainly mesh well with
>Dark Souls.
>
>I don't really find the open world an improvement, nor the addition of
>crafting, mostly the same stuff you used to just be able to buy from
>a merchant in previous games.
>
>Their netcode is still a hot mess, and their servers seem to be
>crumbling under the load of just matchmaking with 4 times as many
>people playing as expected.
>
>Somehow even with all that it still manages to be enough of a souls
>game and fun enough. On the improved side, I really like the addition
>of ashes which let you summon NPC spirits to help, but only in
>certain areas - I wish it was everywhere. I love guard counters where
>if your shield is hit, you can hit heavy attack for an almost immediate
>counter with more damage, some enemies are still too fast to do that
>with big heavy weapons though.
>
>Of course the graphics are greatly improved and quite impressive
>with a card capable of handling it. The spells and weapon arts
>are far more visually impressive.
>
>Even with all that I'm feeling like I need a break from it after 3 weeks
>which isn't that long considering my previous souls experience. I
>just can't seem to tear myself away.
>
>- Justisaur

*--

Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
say Justisaur? hehe

-pw

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t283bu$1fj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6713&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6713

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:54:37 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 23:54 UTC

>* Witcher 3

I've finished W1 & 2, but have yet to gird my loins for a foray back
into this world -- and girding my loins feels like it will require. But
that's ok! These last couple weeks with Elden Ring have taught me what a
long, big game entails, and I like it!

rms

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t284vt$uom$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6714&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6714

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:22:21 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 00:22 UTC

>What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

Elden Ring
As PW says, this is addicting and exciting, more than any game in recent
memory for me. It's not just that it's a big game with a lot to do, but the
almost limitless sense of detail and care put into every aspect of the
gameworld, whether it’s the variety of enemies, each with their own
animation set and AI behavior that I've never found tedious to observe; the
multitude of environments, with their own weather, lighting, animal and
plant life; the depth of fighting style, and complexity and long learning
curve of gameplay mechanics; the quantity of secrets and useful items to be
found and manipulated. And I've barely started the plot line of the game,
having long delayed fighting the first major boss, instead exploring to my
heart's content and gradually getting comfortable with all the gameplay
tools available.

rms

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t285pd$dkc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6715&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6715

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:35:56 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 00:35 UTC

>Elden Ring: I am having the same excitement with it that I did when
>Skrim came out. And addiction. So far, it is not as hard as Dark
>Souls 3 but I know it will get there and I may get sick of it if I
>don't start leveling up enough so I have a chance with the big guys.

Yeah, I'm finally learning to keep an eye on my rune total, so that if
I'm close to leveling up I'll put off tackling a hard fight or new area
until that's done (but not all the time, some risk keeps it spicy). BTW If
you haven't fought the first big boss Margit yet, there's an item
specifically used in fighting him, available from a vendor called Patches in
a small cave in a ravine in the north; look up the location in an online
map. Also that 'Wonderous Flask' and the various talismans I'm finding
around help immensely in powering up your combat or defense; explore every
cave, you can summon spirits in nearly all the caves (not the catacombs
though alas). I'm Level 60+ and with these powerups I can beat giants with
a few swipes now, very satisfying!

I'm not using multiplayer help, but any spirit summon and NPC I use whenever
available!

rms

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<0jcf4ht180qm93v2npbl8jkauhh3lrjbdq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6720&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6720

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 20:18:38 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 02:18 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:35:56 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>>Elden Ring: I am having the same excitement with it that I did when
>>Skrim came out. And addiction. So far, it is not as hard as Dark
>>Souls 3 but I know it will get there and I may get sick of it if I
>>don't start leveling up enough so I have a chance with the big guys.
>
> Yeah, I'm finally learning to keep an eye on my rune total, so that if
>I'm close to leveling up I'll put off tackling a hard fight or new area
>until that's done (but not all the time, some risk keeps it spicy). BTW If
>you haven't fought the first big boss Margit yet, there's an item
>specifically used in fighting him, available from a vendor called Patches in
>a small cave in a ravine in the north; look up the location in an online
>map. Also that 'Wonderous Flask' and the various talismans I'm finding
>around help immensely in powering up your combat or defense; explore every
>cave, you can summon spirits in nearly all the caves (not the catacombs
>though alas). I'm Level 60+ and with these powerups I can beat giants with
>a few swipes now, very satisfying!
>
>I'm not using multiplayer help, but any spirit summon and NPC I use whenever
>available!
>
>rms

*--

I am not going to post any more about ER here and keep stuff in the
Elden Ring thread.

-pw

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<m5hf4hpsrl5bc4go2bs0ljpubu8r6ei3au@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6724&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6724

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 21:37:37 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 03:37 UTC

All right! That is it!

I don't know when it will be (mostly because of Elden Ring) but I am
going to get back to Witcher 3. I stopped playing it a long time ago.
I think I will start it over or see if I remember where I left off!

Thanks Spalls!

-pw

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t298m3$eog$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6727&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6727

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 11:31:30 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 10:31 UTC

Literally almost nothing. I've played a bit more of Pavlov's House and
restarted Conarium. The good thing is I've kept the promise to myself of
not just buying another game when I've got so many available.

My free time currently, I've kinda got back into reading after buying
Good Omens for my Xmas present. After that I went on to Whit by Ian
Banks (I read quite a few of his book when I was younger) and I'm now on
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. The concept is an expansion on a idea
that he's touched on in other books but here it's a the heart of the
story. The gods do actually exist but only because people believe in
them and the more people that believe in them the more powerful they become.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t29id4$ii2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6730&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6730

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 07:17:23 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 13:17 UTC

> The gods do actually exist but only because people believe in them and the
> more people that believe in them the more powerful they become.

Try Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny

rms

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<891df484-7e07-400d-a8fa-8be7c45f691bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6737&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6737

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 13:10:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:10 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 3:18:13 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 1:27:34 PM UTC-7, PW wrote:

> >Ha, well - my experience with DS3 and now ER is much the same. I might be
> >spoiled for all but the best now, I've probably got hundreds of free games
> >some of them even tempting to play just waiting for me. Other games
> >I want to buy and try as well like Guardians of the Galaxy. And try
> >hooking up the Oculus to my computer again now that I have a new
> >video card. A 3060 TI for anyone that missed the ER thread.
> >
> >What did I play? Other than ER? I may have played something else in the
> >first week of the month besides DS3, but it's not coming back to me. So....
> >
> >**** Elden Ring - Dark Souls in an open world and *ahem* 'easier' by the
> >same developer, apparently with some J.R.R. Martin writing. I'm not a fan
> >of his, but all the death an twisted relations certainly mesh well with
> >Dark Souls.
> >
> >I don't really find the open world an improvement, nor the addition of
> >crafting, mostly the same stuff you used to just be able to buy from
> >a merchant in previous games.
> >
> >Their netcode is still a hot mess, and their servers seem to be
> >crumbling under the load of just matchmaking with 4 times as many
> >people playing as expected.
> >
> >Somehow even with all that it still manages to be enough of a souls
> >game and fun enough. On the improved side, I really like the addition
> >of ashes which let you summon NPC spirits to help, but only in
> >certain areas - I wish it was everywhere. I love guard counters where
> >if your shield is hit, you can hit heavy attack for an almost immediate
> >counter with more damage, some enemies are still too fast to do that
> >with big heavy weapons though.
> >
> >Of course the graphics are greatly improved and quite impressive
> >with a card capable of handling it. The spells and weapon arts
> >are far more visually impressive.
> >
> >Even with all that I'm feeling like I need a break from it after 3 weeks
> >which isn't that long considering my previous souls experience. I
> >just can't seem to tear myself away.
> >
> >- Justisaur
> *--
>
> Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
> say Justisaur? hehe

280
(⌒_⌒;)

A few hours of that is probably me leaving it on since it takes awhile to
fully get out of it, when I have to go suddenly. I'd guess no more
than 20%, probably closer to 10%

-Justisaur

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<4jbh4hpvonvldu9oa5046bsb5tghli7dqc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6738&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6738

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 14:14:11 -0600
 by: PW - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:14 UTC

>> Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
>> say Justisaur? hehe
>
>280
>(?_?;)
>
>A few hours of that is probably me leaving it on since it takes awhile to
>fully get out of it, when I have to go suddenly. I'd guess no more
>than 20%, probably closer to 10%
>
>-Justisaur

*--

Okay good going!!:-)

-pw

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t2btea$vie$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6761&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6761

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:38:02 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:38 UTC

On 02/04/2022 21:10, Justisaur wrote:

>> Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
>> say Justisaur? hehe
>
> 280
> (⌒_⌒;)
>
> A few hours of that is probably me leaving it on since it takes awhile to
> fully get out of it, when I have to go suddenly. I'd guess no more
> than 20%, probably closer to 10%

I find the how long have you played function in Steam pretty useless as
I'm the type of person who will play a game for a hour, go and do
something for several hours and then come back to the game. My figures
for how much time was actually spent playing the game are probably the
inverse of yours.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t2btev$vie$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6762&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6762

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:38:24 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:38 UTC

On 02/04/2022 14:17, rms wrote:
>> The gods do actually exist but only because people believe in them and
>> the more people that believe in them the more powerful they become.
>
>   Try Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny

I shall check it out, ta.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<9qoj4hptoatcb634ud9sjnbu7t5thu4ihd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6772&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6772

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 14:18:46 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 18:18 UTC

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:38:02 +0100, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/04/2022 21:10, Justisaur wrote:
>

>>> Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
>>> say Justisaur? hehe
>>
>> 280
>> (?_?;)
>>
>> A few hours of that is probably me leaving it on since it takes awhile to
>> fully get out of it, when I have to go suddenly. I'd guess no more
>> than 20%, probably closer to 10%
>>

>I find the how long have you played function in Steam pretty useless as
>I'm the type of person who will play a game for a hour, go and do
>something for several hours and then come back to the game. My figures
>for how much time was actually spent playing the game are probably the
>inverse of yours.

I've also found the "Play Time" number on Steam to be notoriously
innacurate; for whatever reason, it often seems to lose hours on some
games in a completely random fashion (case in point: Steam currently
shows I've played "Half Life 2" for only 16 hours, even though I've
played and replayed that game at least a half-dozen times. And - at
least according to Steam - I've never played the original "Half Life"
at all). I've noticed similar discrepancies with innumberable games.
In my experience, I have frequently caught it undercounting the time
played, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it failed in the
other direction too.

It's a fun little counter, but it has all the accuracy of a cheap
plastic kitchen timer, and shouldn't be relied upon for any sort of
precise accounting of the time you have played a game.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<c1e0ab98-eb12-40c7-83e1-d74f2a9779efn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6774&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6774

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:35 UTC

On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 3:38:03 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
> On 02/04/2022 21:10, Justisaur wrote:
>

> >> Okay - just three weeks full time, eh? :-) How many hours does Steam
> >> say Justisaur? hehe
> >
> > 280
> > (⌒_⌒;)
> >
> > A few hours of that is probably me leaving it on since it takes awhile to
> > fully get out of it, when I have to go suddenly. I'd guess no more
> > than 20%, probably closer to 10%
> >
> I find the how long have you played function in Steam pretty useless as
> I'm the type of person who will play a game for a hour, go and do
> something for several hours and then come back to the game. My figures
> for how much time was actually spent playing the game are probably the
> inverse of yours.

I probably go higher with leaving games running, maybe even in excess of
50% of Steam hours, but Elden Ring really cranks my GPU fan, and it's got
memory issues, so I try to shut it down when I can. It's got a rather bad
shutdown sequence though, so I don't often have the patience to let
it log back in to the server to quit out. I could kill it, but then it complains
it wasn't shut down properly and since I play online there's a possible
soft ban if you do that too much.

I just left it on for about an hour just now when I left the house again.

- Justisaur

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<t2cth3$5ve$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6775&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6775

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:45:38 -0600
 by: rms - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:45 UTC

>> Try Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny
>>
> I shall check it out, ta.

Also, Piranesi by Susan Clarke, both award winners, though Lord of Light
is a bonafide classic.

rms

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

<sm0r16bei07.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6796&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6796

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 17:12:40 +0300
sha1:8fmxHRVtd7PeZTyOzGA3kn0D5sI=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 14:12 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2022?

* Centipede remastered, Black Widow remastered

These were freebies on <mumble>. I played each for maybe five
minutes. Centipede I remember playing in the arcade but this isn't it.

Might be fun to play a little Centipede with MAME.

* Cyberpunk 2077

Ever so slowly getting on with it. The recent big update did improve
the skill tree (or skill bush) a little so it's not so full of pies in
the sky any more. +3% crit damage bonus on a full moon if standing on
one foot type of skills seem to be gone.

* Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

I got out of the cave I was stuck in. Downside is, I didn't get of the
*cave system* I'm stuck in. Sigh. This game really needs fast travel,
especially for getting back to your unlikely shaped space ship.

* Sky Force Remastered (Android & Windows)

I've gotten hooked on this shmup. I have every upgrade and have gone
through all 13 levels and two of the three bonus levels. Still need to
score four medals to unlock the last bonus level which needs some
non-trivial successes... I got this on PC now too but the PC version
doesn't feel as good now that I'm used to precise touch screen
controls. Or I don't know, the touch screen controls actually simulate
ship speed so they aren't that precise. I just need more practice with
the gamepad.

---------------

Well now, I didn't really play that much games since I had fun times
with new hardware. Or mostly the gaming was:

- Does it run OK? As in reasonably fast FPS and HDR if available?

So upgrading my system didn't do much for game performance since I'm
pretty much GPU limited. That's why I went with a six core Ryzen instead
of 12 or 16 core.

I have to say I'll likely indulge my Borderlands 3 habit since I noticed
my soldier type with her little mecha has gotten pretty
badass. Railguns, railfuns :) Not to mention the rocket pods in a
different loadout.

Test games were HZD on Steam, Cyberpunk on GoG, Control, BL3 on
Epic and Jedi Fallen Order on Epic/Origin.

* HW stuff

** File server updates

I got a hankering, I believe is the word, to update my old HP
Microserver Gen8. Old compatible Xeons go for peanuts these days so out
with the Celeron and in with the Xeon. Also upgraded RAM to max 16 GB
and replaced the vintage boot HD with a snappy new SSD. New network card
is still waiting. This was a nice little warm up to my desktop rebuild
as despite the low price on these Microservers they're "real" server
hardware with real HP server management stuff and largely tool-free
disassembly and assembly.

So, quieter system with one less HD and nice boost to the few CPU
intensive things that system does.

** Desktop rebuild

Asrock B550 Extreme4, Ryzen 5600, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 970 Pro SSD,
Fractal Design Define 7 case, Intel AX200 WLAN+BT. To replace my old
Core i7-4790K system. Kept my RTX3070Ti, HDs, SSDs.

The Fractal Design case offers extreme access, I really like that. Sides
come off without any tools, the top has two screws that have to be
removed.

Some downsides too, the case is heavy and a little hard to lift and move
around especially if you've removed the sides and top, not many places
left to lift it from.

Despite this, the extreme access makes it a brilliant case. I usually
hate PC builds but this was just fine. Enough space to easily do
everything, hide cables out of the way. And it doesn't hurt (literally!
sorry) that all metal edges inside the case are rounded so my hands are
safe.

Also converted my main system SSD from BIOS + DOS MBR to UEFI +
GPT. Conversion was surprisingly easy. So at least I don't have to worry
about any extended vs. primary partitions, every partition is primary
and you can have a few gazillion instead of four.

My old Windows 10 installation was a casualty. Even before I converted
to GPT + UEFI I noticed in the new system it wouldn't reboot or shut
down. Things just went downhill from there and it became
unbootable. When I looked into the same Windows installation on my old
system, it actually had the same issues. Looks like my old Windows 10
install was one foot in the grave. Oh well, not too bad the installation
was a decade old.

One Windows installation per decade isn't too bad. Some bits and bobs
still to do over there. To keep it gaming related, here's a quick recap
on how game launchers fared when their installation wasn't known to
Windows:

** Steam was fine, I just dug up steam.exe from where ever and it didn't
need reinstalling or anything, just complained about some missing
registry settings and added those.

** Epic was not fine and required re-installation and then to avoid
re-downloading games there's only the idiotic
download-pause-exit-rename-copy-whatsit dance. Still, for the couple of
Epic games I tried and wanted to play it worked fine and faster than
re-downloading. Way faster, considering Borderlands 3 is something like
120 GB with its DLCs.

** Origin was reinstalled but it has the function to tell it where a
game might be already installed and this functionality works just fine for
Origin games bought and/or launched via Epic.

** GoG Galaxy also has an import game feature which worked fine for
Cyberpunk.