From: GeoffMay...@nospam.com (Geoff May)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:28:56 +0100
 by: Geoff May - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:28 UTC

Wondering around FB and found this:
https://www.gog.com/game/thea_2_the_shattering

Cheers

Geoff

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<rt8a4h100vj13unodk1fg1smjcvjfmbpd2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6654&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6654

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:45:23 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 03:45 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:28:56 +0100, Geoff May
<GeoffMay_do_not_spam_me@nospam.com> wrote:

>Wondering around FB and found this:
>https://www.gog.com/game/thea_2_the_shattering
>
>Cheers
>
>Geoff

*--

I saw that but didn't claim it until just now.

-thanks

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<g49b4h5q3g6ddtit1n0jnevfoo4tfpgbn7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6657&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6657

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 08:55:34 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:55 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:28:56 +0100, Geoff May
<GeoffMay_do_not_spam_me@nospam.com> wrote:

>Wondering around FB and found this:
>https://www.gog.com/game/thea_2_the_shattering
>
>Cheers
>
>Geoff

Got it. I have no idea what it is, but I've got it now.

Thanks Geoff.

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<o6gb4h9dtcrg4o5h3lrjq44kcddct4sphi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6658&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6658

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:02:26 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:02 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 08:55:34 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:28:56 +0100, Geoff May
><GeoffMay_do_not_spam_me@nospam.com> wrote:

>>Wondering around FB and found this:
>>https://www.gog.com/game/thea_2_the_shattering

>Got it. I have no idea what it is, but I've got it now.

That's the spirit!

It's apparently an RPG. You lead your little party across a big map in
a top-down view, collecting loot to help you on your quest. Battles
are fought out using a static interface of 'cards' rather than
animations. Since theres more focus on the combat that role-playing,
some people lump it into the strategy genre.

Definitely not my sort of thing. I have an instinctive knee-jerk
reaction against RPGs that use cards ;-)

Not that stopped me from adding the game to my library. The number of
games must go up-up-up!

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<25qb4h12997sl7ldpbq0tpbpf80al24cth@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6666&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6666

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 13:46:26 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 17:46 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:02:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's apparently an RPG. You lead your little party across a big map in
>a top-down view, collecting loot to help you on your quest. Battles
>are fought out using a static interface of 'cards' rather than
>animations. Since theres more focus on the combat that role-playing,
>some people lump it into the strategy genre.
>
>Definitely not my sort of thing. I have an instinctive knee-jerk
>reaction against RPGs that use cards ;-)

Thank you for the info Spalls. You had me at RPG, but then lost me at
cards. The only card game I ever played was Hearthstone and I could
not get into it.

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<g3rc4hpkmfedc1bukt74c6urmn4omhn6h9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6678&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6678

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 23:14:34 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 03:14 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 13:46:26 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:02:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It's apparently an RPG. You lead your little party across a big map in
>>a top-down view, collecting loot to help you on your quest. Battles
>>are fought out using a static interface of 'cards' rather than
>>animations. Since theres more focus on the combat that role-playing,
>>some people lump it into the strategy genre.
>>
>>Definitely not my sort of thing. I have an instinctive knee-jerk
>>reaction against RPGs that use cards ;-)
>
>Thank you for the info Spalls. You had me at RPG, but then lost me at
>cards. The only card game I ever played was Hearthstone and I could
>not get into it.

Honestly, the cards seem more cosmetic than anything; from what I saw,
the combat itself played out a lot like the fights in the old "Bards
Tale" games - lines of bad guys on one side, heroes on the other - but
rather than presenting the monsters as a list, "Thea 2" used cards to
show the placement of the enemies.

My distaste for cards in RPGs is, I'll be the first to admit, not
rooted in logic. It harkens back to the olden days of tabletop gaming,
when PnP RPGs were being threatened by this up-n-coming game called
"Magic: The Gathering" (perhaps you've heard of it?) Being on the PnP
RPG side, my emotional response was to assume those silly card games
were inferior in comparison to a 'real gamer's tabletop RPG (of
course, it didn't help that a lot of table-top RPG games were cramming
subpar card-based mechanics into the tabletop game in an attempt to
remain competitive).

Thirty years on, I still carry some of that baggage with me that makes
me distrust any game that uses cards in it, even if I know it has
absolutely no basis in reality. But seeing as I have so many games
available to me, neither does it do me much harm to exclude card-based
games, even if they're excellent. I've too much to play already ;-)

TL;DR: "Thea 2" may be a good game, and if it looks interesting to
you, don't let the fact that it uses 'cards' prevent you from playing
it. ;-)

Re: GOG Giveaway: "Thea 2: The Shattering"

<q5Wdnfx3J-FQxtr_nZ2dnUU7-fWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6696&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6696

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:08:45 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:08 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:02:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >It's apparently an RPG. You lead your little party across a big map in
> >a top-down view, collecting loot to help you on your quest. Battles
> >are fought out using a static interface of 'cards' rather than
> >animations. Since theres more focus on the combat that role-playing,
> >some people lump it into the strategy genre.
> >
> >Definitely not my sort of thing. I have an instinctive knee-jerk
> >reaction against RPGs that use cards ;-)

> Thank you for the info Spalls. You had me at RPG, but then lost me at
> cards. The only card game I ever played was Hearthstone and I could
> not get into it.

Ditto.
--
History repeats itself. COVID-19 booster shot #2 early after Moderna's was finally approved for those who need it like weak people like old people and me. So far, no side effects like the last 3 (last booster shot was a few days before Halloween 2021) since slammy Thursday 8 AM PDT (have been sleeping & waking up early as an early ant (e.g., passed out after 9:18 PM PDT last night & just woke up b4 3 AM PDT today) so this was perfect). With the past shots, side effects resulted about 12 hrs. l8r 4 a few days. Weird/Odd! Did this shot failed? Also, time 2 move nest again. BTW, April Fool's Day & TGIF! Also, no shot yet (maybe next week). :D
| |o o| |