Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The Labs. -- Dennis Ritchie

computers / alt.windows7.general / Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

SubjectAuthor
* Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moonpyotr filipivich
+* Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale MoonJ. P. Gilliver
|`- Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moonpyotr filipivich
+* Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale MoonJesper Kaas
|`- Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon - Solved!pyotr filipivich
`* Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale MoonApd
 `* Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moonpyotr filipivich
  `- Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale MoonNewyana2

1
Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<704qcihde3vebq0asenv7erijk2oogdtau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6711&group=alt.windows7.general#6711

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 08:00:20 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:00 UTC

Greetings

There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
it bogs down the browser and uses (According to ProcessHacker 2.39.124
hmmm "(c)2008-2016" maybe it is time to upgrade? Nope,no upgrade. Meh)
anyway, the script is using about ~25% of CPU while it does so.

What I am asking is if there is a way to identify which process is
doing this? Or is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific
website?
--
pyotr filipivich
"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<USJCCxY$dSzkFwxV@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6712&group=alt.windows7.general#6712

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:29:51 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 16:29 UTC

In message <704qcihde3vebq0asenv7erijk2oogdtau@4ax.com> at Fri, 4 Aug
2023 08:00:20, pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes
>Greetings
>
>There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
>day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
>it bogs down the browser and uses (According to ProcessHacker 2.39.124
>hmmm "(c)2008-2016" maybe it is time to upgrade? Nope,no upgrade. Meh)
>anyway, the script is using about ~25% of CPU while it does so.
>
>What I am asking is if there is a way to identify which process is
>doing this? Or is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific
>website?

I can't answer most of your question (I share your irritation over
bloodsucking scripts), but it is possible to determine which site the
script is coming from (assuming it's NOT GoComic.com itself)? If so, you
could always try blocking that site entirely (in your hosts file).

In 1969, Britain had towns full of soot, blackened buildings, and half the
population had no TV or cars - or inside loos. - James Burke, RT 2019/7/6-12

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<o7gqci5sl1is3ldtcndhe1kinvutvr9qnm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6713&group=alt.windows7.general#6713

From: jesp...@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:21:39 +0200
 by: Jesper Kaas - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:21 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 08:00:20 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
>day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
>it bogs down the browser and uses (According to ProcessHacker 2.39.124
>hmmm "(c)2008-2016" maybe it is time to upgrade? Nope,no upgrade. Meh)
>anyway, the script is using about ~25% of CPU while it does so.
>
>What I am asking is if there is a way to identify which process is
>doing this? Or is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific
>website?

NoScript can show you which scripts are running on that site, and also
block specific scripts. Temporary or permanent. That should be a
solution, or am I missing something?

Best regards
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<uajhpf$1cnqk$1@apd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6714&group=alt.windows7.general#6714

From: not...@all.invalid (Apd)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 19:58:47 +0100
 by: Apd - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:58 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" wrote:
> There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
> day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
> it bogs down the browser

I didn't see a problem script. Gocomic.com redirects to
ww25.gocomic.com which runs a script sending you to (in my case)
iyfbodn.com. Gocomic is parked and serving ads so who knows what you
are getting. It's owned by Trellian "A leader Direct Navigation and
Zero Click traffic". I'd stay away if I were you.

> is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific website?

Noscript plugin for Firefox.

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<uegrcihf2dpef21pptr4ubeqp9fhik75tt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6715&group=alt.windows7.general#6715

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:36:18 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:36 UTC

"Apd" <not@all.invalid> on Fri, 4 Aug 2023 19:58:47 +0100 typed in
alt.windows7.general the following:
>"pyotr filipivich" wrote:
>> There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
>> day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
>> it bogs down the browser
>
>I didn't see a problem script. Gocomic.com redirects to
>ww25.gocomic.com which runs a script sending you to (in my case)
>iyfbodn.com. Gocomic is parked and serving ads so who knows what you
>are getting. It's owned by Trellian "A leader Direct Navigation and
>Zero Click traffic". I'd stay away if I were you.
>
>> is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific website?
>
>Noscript plugin for Firefox.

Thanks.

For what it is worth, I got a popup that a script involving
platform.twitter was hung up. Twice.
I went into %appdata% and deleted the folder
https+++twitter.com
and the problem went away. So far anyway.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<angrcihhrnt0nema000621c1i50hu5uipf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6716&group=alt.windows7.general#6716

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:36:18 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:36 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> on Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:29:51 +0100
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
>In message <704qcihde3vebq0asenv7erijk2oogdtau@4ax.com> at Fri, 4 Aug
>2023 08:00:20, pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes
>>Greetings
>>
>>There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
>>day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
>>it bogs down the browser and uses (According to ProcessHacker 2.39.124
>>hmmm "(c)2008-2016" maybe it is time to upgrade? Nope,no upgrade. Meh)
>>anyway, the script is using about ~25% of CPU while it does so.
>>
>>What I am asking is if there is a way to identify which process is
>>doing this? Or is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific
>>website?
>
>I can't answer most of your question (I share your irritation over
>bloodsucking scripts), but it is possible to determine which site the
>script is coming from (assuming it's NOT GoComic.com itself)? If so, you
>could always try blocking that site entirely (in your hosts file).
For what it is worth, I got a popup that a script involving
platform.twitter was hung up. Twice.
I went into %appdata%\..\storage and deleted the folder
https+++twitter.com
and the problem went away. So far anyway.

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon

<ualgav$1uuud$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6717&group=alt.windows7.general#6717

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:45:57 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:45 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote

| >Noscript plugin for Firefox.
| | Thanks.
| | For what it is worth, I got a popup that a script involving
| platform.twitter was hung up. Twice.
| I went into %appdata% and deleted the folder
| https+++twitter.com
| and the problem went away. So far anyway.

NoScript is still worth having. It's fairly easy to use.
On most sites you don't even need to enable script. When
you do, you can typically enable scripts from that site
without allowing entities like Google to snoop, show ads,
do tracking, etc. That's safer, faster and more private.
You can just click the icon on the toolbar to see a list
of what scripts a page is trying to run. It's wild. The days
of 3rd parties not being able to spy on you are long gone.
Even my doctor's website wants to run script from
5 or 6 companies, despite HIPAA!

Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon - Solved!

<ik5nditd6e1hts73av242qoi1b8i6uqebj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6737&group=alt.windows7.general#6737

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Blocking _a_ script on a page in Pale Moon - Solved!
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:19:58 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:19 UTC

Jesper Kaas <jesperk@neitakk.online.no> on Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:21:39
+0200 typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
>On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 08:00:20 -0700, pyotr filipivich
><phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>There is a script on GoComic.com which apparently must be run "every
>>day". I have no idea what it is doing, what it is called, just that
>>it bogs down the browser and uses (According to ProcessHacker 2.39.124
>>hmmm "(c)2008-2016" maybe it is time to upgrade? Nope,no upgrade. Meh)
>>anyway, the script is using about ~25% of CPU while it does so.
>>
>>What I am asking is if there is a way to identify which process is
>>doing this? Or is there a way to block specific scripts on a specific
>>website?
>
>NoScript can show you which scripts are running on that site, and also
>block specific scripts. Temporary or permanent. That should be a
>solution, or am I missing something?

I installed something similar. (I forget what it was) Default
setting solved my issue.
Cartoons load and if there is any slowness, it is imperceptible.