"The medium is the massage." -- Crazy Nigel

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Sudden freeze

SubjectAuthor
* Sudden freezepinnerite
+* Re: Sudden freezeNic
|`* Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
| `* Re: Sudden freezeNic
|  `* Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
|   `* Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
|    `* Re: Sudden freezeNic
|     +- Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
|     `* Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
|      +- Re: Sudden freezepinnerite
|      `- Re: Sudden freezeNic
+- Re: Sudden freezePaul
+- Re: Sudden freezeservoloro
`* Re: Sudden freezePaul
 `- Re: Sudden freezepinnerite

1
Sudden freeze

<20230903190429.455d66848cf50fc52a6c2aae@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6750&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6750

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Sudden freeze
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 19:04:29 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 18:04 UTC

This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
Whatever was running will freeze.
The mouse cursor can be moved around.
The hard drive is constantly churning.
No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.

I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.

Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile

I have made a note of that too.

Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-82-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<yk4JM.605090$qnnb.288614@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6751&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6751

Subject: Re: Sudden freeze
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 14:34:06 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 18:34 UTC

On 9/3/23 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> Whatever was running will freeze.
> The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> The hard drive is constantly churning.
> No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
>
> I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
>
> Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
>
> I have made a note of that too.
>
> Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?

Have you tried waiting for some process to clear? How long have you
waited for this to clear up on its own?

Re: Sudden freeze

<ud30h9$13gr1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6752&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6752

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 18:15:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 22:15 UTC

On 9/3/2023 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> Whatever was running will freeze.
> The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> The hard drive is constantly churning.
> No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
>
> I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
>
> Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
>
> I have made a note of that too.
>
> Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?

Sometimes HID is not working, and then who knows whether the
magic sequence can still be heard.

I've had HID failures in the past, where control-alt-backspace did not work.

I check and if the caps lock key will not register, generally
that means the HID is disconnected somewhere.

On one occasion, it wasn't totally dead. The keyboard input
might take 30 seconds to a minute to register, so you have to be
very patient. Or you run the risk of entering keys in the wrong
sequence.

Now, hard drive constantly churning, that sounds like swap caused
by memory starvation. And you likely aren't too far from OOM Killer
finishing the session off for you. If you have a relatively large
swap file, plus the hard drive is pretty slow, that baby can churn
for quite a while, before the OOM comes.

If I had to guess, you opened a Firefox window, then walked away,
and the window got up to no good (runaway memory consumption).
Typically, this consumes 3GB of RAM. But I thought they fixed that,
by developing a new policy to unload tabs. In other words, a bandaid
to stick over a gunshot wound :-) You see, I was pissed, that
nobody would tell us the root cause, and why it was really happening.
They were always coy, just mention the runaway memory, and how
unloading the tabs would be "magical". Something was going on... but what???

Paul

Re: Sudden freeze

<ud3tnm$1aumv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6753&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6753

From: cb...@qwer.com (servoloro)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:33:26 +0200
 by: servoloro - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 06:33 UTC

Il 03/09/23 20:04, pinnerite ha scritto:
> This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> Whatever was running will freeze.
> The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> The hard drive is constantly churning.
> No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
>
> I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
>
> Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
>
> I have made a note of that too.
>
> Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?

The same happens to me a few weeks after installing LM 21.
Very sporadically :
once a week or even once evry couple of weeks
but sometime twice in the same day
Very frustrating
:-(
Kernel: 5.15.0-60-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria

Re: Sudden freeze

<ud49l0$1d0j3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6754&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6754

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:56:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 09:56 UTC

On 9/3/2023 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> Whatever was running will freeze.
> The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> The hard drive is constantly churning.
> No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
>
> I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
>
> Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
>
> I have made a note of that too.
>
> Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?

And I've already told you, about the advantages of preparing a serial
connection between PCs.

Both my main machines here, have a single serial port and a 2x5 header for it.
They do not place a DB-9 on the back panel. But, with sufficient craft
with a soldering iron, you may have some bits and pieces from old
motherboard boxes, to make an adapter cable. You need a null modem cable
between the two machines, so they can communicate.

You then add this to the boot line

console=ttyS0,57600n8 # High baud rates work via flow control options

When the HID dies, you can talk to the churning PC over the RS232 cable.
And using "top", see how dire the swap situation is, and how close to
OOM it is getting. kill -9 <pid> the thing that is running away.

Paul

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230904124204.1245c52dad48ddd7f45632fe@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6755&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6755

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:42:04 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:42 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:56:46 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 9/3/2023 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> > Whatever was running will freeze.
> > The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> > The hard drive is constantly churning.
> > No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
> >
> > I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
> >
> > Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
> >
> > I have made a note of that too.
> >
> > Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?
> >

> And I've already told you, about the advantages of preparing a serial
> connection between PCs.
>
> Both my main machines here, have a single serial port and a 2x5 header for it.
> They do not place a DB-9 on the back panel. But, with sufficient craft
> with a soldering iron, you may have some bits and pieces from old
> motherboard boxes, to make an adapter cable. You need a null modem cable
> between the two machines, so they can communicate.
>
> You then add this to the boot line
>
> console=ttyS0,57600n8 # High baud rates work via flow control options
>
> When the HID dies, you can talk to the churning PC over the RS232 cable.
> And using "top", see how dire the swap situation is, and how close to
> OOM it is getting. kill -9 <pid> the thing that is running away.
>
> Paul

That presupposes that you have a second machine with screen ans keyboard.
For space-saving reasons I run my backup machine from ssh (unless setting it up).
But I appreciate your advice.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-82-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230904124611.3fca967f1a4d7aace3dbc441@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6756&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6756

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:46:11 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:46 UTC

On Sun, 3 Sep 2023 14:34:06 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 9/3/23 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
> > Whatever was running will freeze.
> > The mouse cursor can be moved around.
> > The hard drive is constantly churning.
> > No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
> >
> > I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
> >
> > Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
> >
> > I have made a note of that too.
> >
> > Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?
> >
> Have you tried waiting for some process to clear? How long have you
> waited for this to clear up on its own?

Several hours. :(

setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp produced ann error message when I rebooted a few minutes ago.

sysrq + ALT R E I S U B did work yesterday but you need to be an octypus for success.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-82-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<uekJM.891314$AsA.564850@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6757&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6757

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:39:54 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:39 UTC

On 9/4/23 7:46 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2023 14:34:06 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/23 2:04 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> This has happened several times during the last few weeks.
>>> Whatever was running will freeze.
>>> The mouse cursor can be moved around.
>>> The hard drive is constantly churning.
>>> No was (so far) of regaining control without a hard power down, followed by a restart.
>>>
>>> I have never had to try Sysrq + ALT R E I S U B before so had to google to find it.
>>>
>>> Someone suggested adding setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp into /etc/profile
>>>
>>> I have made a note of that too.
>>>
>>> Any reason why either approach might not work in Mint?
>>>
>> Have you tried waiting for some process to clear? How long have you
>> waited for this to clear up on its own?
>>
> Several hours. :(
>
> setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp produced ann error message when I rebooted a few minutes ago.
>
> sysrq + ALT R E I S U B did work yesterday but you need to be an octypus for success.

Have you examined the system log for some clue?

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230905225310.7af6ad5216896e0a2fdb6dd1@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6767&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6767

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:53:10 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:53 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:39:54 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 9/4/23 7:46 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Sep 2023 14:34:06 -0400
> > Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> >> Have you tried waiting for some process to clear? How long have you
> >> waited for this to clear up on its own?
> >>
> > Several hours. :(
> >
> > setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp produced ann error message when I rebooted a few minutes ago.
> >
> > sysrq + ALT R E I S U B did work yesterday but you need to be an octypus for success.
> >

> Have you examined the system log for some clue?

You can go boss-eyed scanning the syslogs.
But I'll try.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-82-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230905233849.fea28cb815d4d8fc5809495d@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6768&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6768

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:38:49 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:38 UTC

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:53:10 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:39:54 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/4/23 7:46 AM, pinnerite wrote:

> > > Several hours. :(
> > >
> > > setxbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp produced ann error message when I rebooted a few minutes ago.
> > >
> > > sysrq + ALT R E I S U B did work yesterday but you need to be an octypus for success.
> > >

> > Have you examined the system log for some clue?
>
> You can go boss-eyed scanning the syslogs.
> But I'll try.

Well, I did find an anomaly.

Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]

This appears to mean it could be anything.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-82-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<sgOJM.1184274$GMN3.790469@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6769&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6769

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:50:00 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:50 UTC

On 9/5/23 6:38 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:53:10 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:39:54 -0400
>> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

>>> Have you examined the system log for some clue?
>> You can go boss-eyed scanning the syslogs.
>> But I'll try.
>>
> Well, I did find an anomaly.
>
> Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
>
> This appears to mean it could be anything.

We are talking about the same log...https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs

At the top will be the important information.

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230906213251.572d8bd632edc8f2556ab601@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6781&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6781

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:32:51 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:32 UTC

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:50:00 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 9/5/23 6:38 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:53:10 +0100
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> You can go boss-eyed scanning the syslogs.
> >> But I'll try.
> >>
> > Well, I did find an anomaly.
> >
> > Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
> >
> > This appears to mean it could be anything.
> >

> We are talking about the same log...https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs
>
> At the top will be the important information.

gnome-logs

Looks good. Thanks.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230906215628.e056923544693baf7609aa91@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6782&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6782

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:56:28 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:56 UTC

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:50:00 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 9/5/23 6:38 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:53:10 +0100
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> You can go boss-eyed scanning the syslogs.
> >> But I'll try.
> >>
> > Well, I did find an anomaly.
> >
> > Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
> >
> > This appears to mean it could be anything.
> >

> We are talking about the same log...https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs
>
> At the top will be the important information.

To take advantage of the error messages I need to save the text from the log report.
I tried $ gnome-logs >> ./logs.txt
but the command remained open.
After a CTRL-C I was left with a zero length file. :(

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<20230906220619.90ab03020568706d89187bd9@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6783&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6783

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 22:06:19 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:06 UTC

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:56:28 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:50:00 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/5/23 6:38 PM, pinnerite wrote:

> > > Well, I did find an anomaly.
> > >
> > > Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
> > >
> > > This appears to mean it could be anything.
> > >

> > We are talking about the same log...https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs
> >
> > At the top will be the important information.
>
> To take advantage of the error messages I need to save the text from the log report.
> I tried $ gnome-logs >> ./logs.txt
> but the command remained open.
> After a CTRL-C I was left with a zero length file. :(

OK I found the buttom to send it to html.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-83-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Sudden freeze

<D56KM.1036895$AsA.106009@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6784&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6784

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:23:47 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:23 UTC

On 9/6/23 4:56 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:50:00 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/5/23 6:38 PM, pinnerite wrote:

>>> Well, I did find an anomaly.
>>>
>>> Sep 5 20:44:40 2023, retry nbr 0. There should be messages before this one giving the reason for suspension. [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]
>>>
>>> This appears to mean it could be anything.
>>>

>> We are talking about the same log...https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs
>>
>> At the top will be the important information.
> To take advantage of the error messages I need to save the text from the log report.
> I tried $ gnome-logs >> ./logs.txt
> but the command remained open.
> After a CTRL-C I was left with a zero length file. :(

For me I get access to the log fileĀ  from the Menu /Administration/Logs,
gnome-logs get me to the same place.
There is a button at the top to export to a file.