The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it. -- Brian Kernighan

computers / comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows / Re: Eudora alternative

SubjectAuthor
* Eudora alternativePeter Donahue
+- Re: Eudora alternativeDaveH2
+* Re: Eudora alternativegeo
|`- Re: Eudora alternativePeter
`- Re: Eudora alternativeDean Calvert

1
Eudora alternative

<abcba3f3-44b5-4959-8ded-3d52dbd7af76n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=651&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#651

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:45:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Eudora alternative
From: sydney.s...@gmail.com (Peter Donahue)
 by: Peter Donahue - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 22:45 UTC

As others have previously said, I think the time has come to move away from Eudora 7. It does still work fairly well on Windows 10 but a few odd problems have started to appear. the most irritating is the need to occasionally confirm the SSL validity. Anyway, I see various descriptions of converting mailboxes to Thunderbird and Outlook formats but I don't see any mention of how these conversions manage attachments. I keep my Eudora files folder on my data D drive and current it's about 14GB and my attachment folder is about 9GB of this so there are plenty of attachments.

I think I would prefer to convert to Outlook but am open to alternative arguments. I would prefer to convert and just use the chosen new software but I realise an option is to keep Eudora, stop it checking for new mail and just use Outlook/Thunderbird etc from now on. I would still have access to all my Eudora emails. Not ideal but avoids conversion difficulties.

Re: Eudora alternative

<6bab96d0-55ec-4168-a37f-f59584846965n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=652&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#652

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 04:47:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Eudora alternative
From: dav...@sky.com (DaveH2)
 by: DaveH2 - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:47 UTC

On Tuesday, 21 November 2023 at 22:45:44 UTC, Peter Donahue wrote:
> As others have previously said, I think the time has come to move away from Eudora 7. It does still work fairly well on Windows 10 but a few odd problems have started to appear. the most irritating is the need to occasionally confirm the SSL validity. Anyway, I see various descriptions of converting mailboxes to Thunderbird and Outlook formats but I don't see any mention of how these conversions manage attachments. I keep my Eudora files folder on my data D drive and current it's about 14GB and my attachment folder is about 9GB of this so there are plenty of attachments.
>
> I think I would prefer to convert to Outlook but am open to alternative arguments. I would prefer to convert and just use the chosen new software but I realise an option is to keep Eudora, stop it checking for new mail and just use Outlook/Thunderbird etc from now on. I would still have access to all my Eudora emails. Not ideal but avoids conversion difficulties.

I have used Address Magic Plus to convert Eudora messages to Outlook format.. I can't remember how it actually dealt with attachments, but they do seem to be still there attached to the Outlook version of the messages!
Eudora is pretty unique in keeping attachments separate from messages, and not embedding them into the message file.
This does have advantages, but conversion is a problem.
You do have the Hermes SSL update installed I hope, if not that's almost certainly why you're getting SSL problems.

Re: Eudora alternative

<bd938f44-b12f-4a89-b565-572e452bc90bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=653&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#653

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:26:05 -0800 (PST)
From: geo.al...@comcast.net (geo)
 by: geo - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:26 UTC

On Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 5:45:44 PM UTC-5, Peter Donahue wrote:
> As others have previously said, I think the time has come to move away from Eudora 7. It does still work fairly well on Windows 10 but a few odd problems have started to appear. the most irritating is the need to occasionally confirm the SSL validity.

As others noted, you probably don't have Pete Maclean's SSL fix: https://www.maclean.com/downloads/QCSSL_Update.zip has the bits and how to. Other problems are fixed with Len Shustek's tools: https://github.com/LenShustek/Eudora_fix_mbx which includes a binary patch to Eudora.exe to fix a few bugs and a fix_mbx tool to clean up goofy characters.

The Hermes Aurora version of Eudora chugs along, still in Alpha but showing promise for a modern version of Eudora at some point maybe next year. You can get access to the Alpha by donating here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hermes-mail-8-0-the-final-stretch#/

Finally, for those using email servers that require OAuth2, https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy is a robust work-around.

Re: Eudora alternative

<XnsB0E27E923C9868D59A@135.181.20.170>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=657&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#657

From: p_br...@msn.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:26:32 GMT
 by: Peter - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:26 UTC

On 16:26 22 Nov 2023, geo said:

> On Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 5:45:44 PM UTC-5, Peter Donahue
> wrote:
>> As others have previously said, I think the time has come to move
>> away fr
> om Eudora 7. It does still work fairly well on Windows 10 but a few
> odd problems have started to appear. the most irritating is the need
> to occasionally confirm the SSL validity.
>
> As others noted, you probably don't have Pete Maclean's SSL fix:
> https://www.maclean.com/downloads/QCSSL_Update.zip has the bits and
> how to. Other problems are fixed with Len Shustek's tools:
> https://github.com/LenShustek/Eudora_fix_mbx which includes a binary
> patch to Eudora.exe to fix a few bugs and a fix_mbx tool to clean up
> goofy characters.
>
> The Hermes Aurora version of Eudora chugs along, still in Alpha but
> showing promise for a modern version of Eudora at some point maybe
> next year. You can get access to the Alpha by donating here:
> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hermes-mail-8-0-the-final-stretch#/
>
> Finally, for those using email servers that require OAuth2,
> https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy is a robust
> work-around.

Useful links. Thanks.

Re: Eudora alternative

<2f9e8799-b816-4099-8bdb-0e3f2852972an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=676&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#676

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:37:15 -0800 (PST)
From: dmcalv...@gmail.com (Dean Calvert)
 by: Dean Calvert - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 00:37 UTC

On Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 4:45:44 PM UTC-6, Peter Donahue wrote:
> As others have previously said, I think the time has come to move away from Eudora 7. It does still work fairly well on Windows 10 but a few odd problems have started to appear. the most irritating is the need to occasionally confirm the SSL validity. Anyway, I see various descriptions of converting mailboxes to Thunderbird and Outlook formats but I don't see any mention of how these conversions manage attachments. I keep my Eudora files folder on my data D drive and current it's about 14GB and my attachment folder is about 9GB of this so there are plenty of attachments.
>
> I think I would prefer to convert to Outlook but am open to alternative arguments. I would prefer to convert and just use the chosen new software but I realise an option is to keep Eudora, stop it checking for new mail and just use Outlook/Thunderbird etc from now on. I would still have access to all my Eudora emails. Not ideal but avoids conversion difficulties.

Hi pete,

I'm likewise a long-time Eudora afficianado...but moved away from it about 2 years ago when I began having tech problems.

I haven't used OUTLOOK in years, so I can't comment on that. As far as I am concerned, MS is the Evil Empire.

What i CAN tell you is what I've tried in the meantime (past 2 years). Of course, I was dealing with all the same conversion issues you mention. I think I had upwards of 100,000 emails on the old system.

Thunderbird did a fair job of converting my Eudora emails over to their system. So I can at least search everything without going back to Eudora. I became frustrated with the slowness of TB, so I tried another highly recommended system - MAILBIRD. I really struggled with that one - VERY limited searching capabilities. I think the people running it are just brain dead..focusing on all kinds of bells and whistles which meant nothing to me...while ignoring some fundamental problems (like search capability). They also had a devil of a time consistently sending and receiving emails...i'd find emails stuck in my outbox WAY too many times.

I also tried THEBAT!, which looked promising, but I just couldn't get it to work properly. They actually ahve tech support, but are based in Moldova (hence..the BAT). Gave up on them after a month or so.

About 3 months ago I finally couldn't take the problems with MAILBIRD any more, and decided to move back to TB. Their new version seems much improved.. Now I have much more robust search capability, and NONE of the "failure to send" issues of mailbird (which I don't miss at all!).

It's still not EUDORA, but it's close!

Hope something in this helps you!

PS I have remained in POP3 format all along...will only go to IMAP when they pry POP3 out of my dead hands! LOL