From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: A TechWriter Pro question
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 16:42:19 +0100
 by: Dave - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:42 UTC

TechWriter Pro 9.12

G'day folks,

I'm doing some testing for someone and have encountered a little thing
which has me perplexed.

http://www.triffid.co.uk/dstuff/Techtest.zip contains a TechWriter file,
it contains four identical images in different file types, so they were
put in to the TechWriter document as...

Jpeg
PNG
BMP
Sprite

In TechWriter, if I do Menu-Save-PDF the resulting PDF document has the
Jpeg in colour, but the other filetype images are all Greyscale.

It doesn't matter what order the images are in the TechWriter document,
the output PDF has the Jpeg in colour and the others in Greyscale.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Dave

Nb:

If the document is Printed out of TechWriter using Steve Fryatt's PrintPDF
the resulting PDF has all the images in colour.
So GhostScript is working okay.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<596f818fa3dave@triffid.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=676&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#676

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: A TechWriter Pro question
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 16:55:12 +0100
 by: Dave - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:55 UTC

In article <596f8061c0dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]

> Nb:

> If the document is Printed out of TechWriter using Steve Fryatt's
> PrintPDF the resulting PDF has all the images in colour. So GhostScript
> is working okay.

> D.

Slight aside but worth a mention...

I put the four different filetype images in ArtWorks2, Exported as PDF,
the resulting PDF has all the images in colour.

The problem seems specific to TechWriter.

?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<596f9155e9newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=677&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#677

From: news...@blueyonder.co.uk (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:47:30 +0100
 by: John - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:47 UTC

In article <596f8061c0dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> Any thoughts please?

I don't know the answer to your question but, if there's no
satisfaction on this newsgroup, I suggest you try the
mailing list icon-users@freelists.org .

John

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<596f9d07ffPaul@sprie.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=680&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#680

From: Pau...@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 22:55:15 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 20:55 UTC

In article <596f8061c0dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Any thoughts please?

No thoughts. I've fed your file to 3 PDF readers (!PDF, !PDFView and
!Muview), and they all show every picture in full colour.

TechWriter 9.12, RISC OS 5.29

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<d8a4a56f59.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=681&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#681

From: spa...@nowhere.invalid (Bryan Hogan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 23:29:19 +0100
 by: Bryan Hogan - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 22:29 UTC

In message <596f8061c0dave@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> In TechWriter, if I do Menu-Save-PDF the resulting PDF document has the
> Jpeg in colour, but the other filetype images are all Greyscale.

> If the document is Printed out of TechWriter using Steve Fryatt's PrintPDF
> the resulting PDF has all the images in colour.
> So GhostScript is working okay.

> I put the four different filetype images in ArtWorks2, Exported as PDF,
> the resulting PDF has all the images in colour.

ArtWorks saves the PDF itself, whereas TechWriter needs a Postscript
printer driver available so that it can "print" it to the file, so the
problem willl be in how !Printers is setup.

What printer driver is PrintPDF setup to use, and is TechWriter also using
that one? I've no idea how it picks if you have more than one Postscript
driver available.

Check that all your PS printers have the Colour option ticked in their
configuration window.

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<596fd185dfdave@triffid.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=682&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#682

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 07:28:36 +0100
 by: Dave - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 06:28 UTC

In article <d8a4a56f59.bryan@helpful-demon.co.uk>,
Bryan Hogan <spam@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> In message <596f8061c0dave@triffid.co.uk>
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > In TechWriter, if I do Menu-Save-PDF the resulting PDF document has the
> > Jpeg in colour, but the other filetype images are all Greyscale.

> > If the document is Printed out of TechWriter using Steve Fryatt's
> > PrintPDF the resulting PDF has all the images in colour. So
> > GhostScript is working okay.

> > I put the four different filetype images in ArtWorks2, Exported as
> > PDF, the resulting PDF has all the images in colour.

> ArtWorks saves the PDF itself, whereas TechWriter needs a Postscript
> printer driver available so that it can "print" it to the file, so the
> problem willl be in how !Printers is setup.

> What printer driver is PrintPDF setup to use, and is TechWriter also
> using that one? I've no idea how it picks if you have more than one
> Postscript driver available.

> Check that all your PS printers have the Colour option ticked in their
> configuration window.

> Bryan.

Ah!

I don't know how all this (Excrement) is supposed to work, I just assumed
TechWriter has all the required stuff to do the business...

GOOD catch Brian, I didn't realise TW would print to PDF file through my
default printer HPLaserjet-ps driver. (A B&W printer).

Anyway, ticking the Colour button On in the HPLJ PS printer
configurations and thereafter the TW PDF output is now all colour.

Excellent, so thanks for that insight, appreciated. :-)

Dave

But it does leave me with one remaining confusion... :-(

Why then, before I switched colour On in the driver, were previous PDFs
printing the Jpegs in colour, but the other file type images in the
document were greyscale?

That's just not logical... (I've posted the relevant PDF upline if you
don't believe me). http://www.triffid.co.uk/dstuff/Techtestsave.pdf

Dr my brain hurts...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<a14a7dec-db2f-495f-a24a-96604a979e88n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=683&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#683

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 00:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: new...@sprow.co.uk (Sprow)
 by: Sprow - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 07:30 UTC

On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+1, Dave wrote:
> Why then, before I switched colour On in the driver, were previous PDFs
> printing the Jpegs in colour, but the other file type images in the
> document were greyscale?

I noticed that a couple of years ago too, and finally got round to looking into it a few weeks back.

It's a bug (or misoptimisation) in the Level 2 driver which embeds the JPEG directly in the PostScript output - this wasn't possible at Level 1 because I think that standard preceded the standardisation of the JPEG file format. I guess nobody noticed before because if you send a colour JPEG to a B&W printer it'll print /something/ reasonable, but in the age of the paperless office when we turn many documents into PDF it's more obvious!

There's a fix in review with RISC OS Open at the moment
https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/Sources/Printing/Modules/PDModules/-/merge_requests/1

so once that's made it over the line there will be an updated !Printers which you can grab to get the fix,
Sprow.

Re: A TechWriter Pro question

<596fdb6e8fdave@triffid.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=684&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#684

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 09:16:50 +0100
 by: Dave - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 08:16 UTC

In article <a14a7dec-db2f-495f-a24a-96604a979e88n@googlegroups.com>,
Sprow <news@sprow.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+1, Dave wrote:
> > Why then, before I switched colour On in the driver, were previous
> > PDFs printing the Jpegs in colour, but the other file type images in
> > the document were greyscale?

> I noticed that a couple of years ago too, and finally got round to
> looking into it a few weeks back.

> It's a bug (or misoptimisation) in the Level 2 driver which embeds the
> JPEG directly in the PostScript output - this wasn't possible at Level 1
> because I think that standard preceded the standardisation of the JPEG
> file format. I guess nobody noticed before because if you send a colour
> JPEG to a B&W printer it'll print /something/ reasonable, but in the age
> of the paperless office when we turn many documents into PDF it's more
> obvious!

> There's a fix in review with RISC OS Open at the moment
> https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/Sources/Printing/Modules/PDModules/-/merge_requests/1

> so once that's made it over the line there will be an updated !Printers
> which you can grab to get the fix, Sprow.

Thanks for that illumination Sprow, I understand.

Dave

Leaves one small question.
For most of my RISC OS stuff I'm not using RISC OS 5.nn but 6.20 and
Printers 1.91a, would that fix be of any use to the 6.20 printers?

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid