From: nic...@none.net (nic)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:26:58 -0500
 by: nic - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:26 UTC

I get this error

---------------------------
pysol.exe - System Error
---------------------------
The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
---------------------------
Fatal error detected
---------------------------
Error loading Python DLL 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PySol Fan Club edition\python311.dll'.
LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.
---------------------------
--
has anybody encountered this?

Re: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7

<ucmad3$2jijk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6793&group=alt.windows7.general#6793

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 22:43:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 02:43 UTC

On 8/29/2023 8:26 PM, nic wrote:

> I get this error
>
> ---------------------------
> pysol.exe - System Error
> ---------------------------
> The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
> ---------------------------
> Fatal error detected
> ---------------------------
> Error loading Python DLL 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PySol Fan Club edition\python311.dll'.
> LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.
> ---------------------------

And it's using path code, to load a DynDLL.

First, it notices that its attempt to find "python311.dll" has failed.
When you and I know, that file is in that folder.

The reason it cannot DynDll the "python311.dll" file, is because
the developer used some obscure library call to load an absolute path,
and the mapper DLL "api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll" is missing.

As in my other post, a potential solution, is at least install the x86
one of these. But preferably, both of them.

"Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable page from Microsoft and click on the Download button."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

Doing this, may get you a little further along, before something
else in there, breaks.

Paul

Re: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7

<i4GHM.690021$SuUf.4328@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6802&group=alt.windows7.general#6802

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:52:46 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:52 UTC

On 8/29/23 10:43 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/29/2023 8:26 PM, nic wrote:
>> I get this error
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> pysol.exe - System Error
>> ---------------------------
>> The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
>> ---------------------------
>> Fatal error detected
>> ---------------------------
>> Error loading Python DLL 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PySol Fan Club edition\python311.dll'.
>> LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.
>> ---------------------------
>>
> And it's using path code, to load a DynDLL.
>
> First, it notices that its attempt to find "python311.dll" has failed.
> When you and I know, that file is in that folder.
>
> The reason it cannot DynDll the "python311.dll" file, is because
> the developer used some obscure library call to load an absolute path,
> and the mapper DLL "api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll" is missing.
>
> As in my other post, a potential solution, is at least install the x86
> one of these. But preferably, both of them.
>
> "Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable page from Microsoft and click on the Download button."
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
>
> Doing this, may get you a little further along, before something
> else in there, breaks.
>
> Paul
Thank you Paul, I will try your suggestions.

Re: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7

<UL%HM.472116$xMqa.5560@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6814&group=alt.windows7.general#6814

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:32:52 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:32 UTC

On 8/29/23 10:43 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/29/2023 8:26 PM, nic wrote:
>> I get this error
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> pysol.exe - System Error
>> ---------------------------
>> The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
>> ---------------------------
>> Fatal error detected
>> ---------------------------
>> Error loading Python DLL 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PySol Fan Club edition\python311.dll'.
>> LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.
>> ---------------------------
>>
> And it's using path code, to load a DynDLL.
>
> First, it notices that its attempt to find "python311.dll" has failed.
> When you and I know, that file is in that folder.
>
> The reason it cannot DynDll the "python311.dll" file, is because
> the developer used some obscure library call to load an absolute path,
> and the mapper DLL "api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll" is missing.
>
> As in my other post, a potential solution, is at least install the x86
> one of these. But preferably, both of them.
>
> "Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable page from Microsoft and click on the Download button."
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
>
> Doing this, may get you a little further along, before something
> else in there, breaks.
>
> Paul
I did install the x86 version of
Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC, but could not install the
64 bit version, it would not install, go figure, the system is w7 pro 64
bit. Now Pysol no longer throws that error, but it does not run either.
I have a working copy of Pysol installed to a 32 bit w7 system on a ssd,
that worked fine, maybe I should copy the contents of that directory to
the current directory?

Re: Cannot run Pysol Fanclub on w7

<ucqbbh$3bf2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6818&group=alt.windows7.general#6818

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:24:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:24 UTC

On 8/31/2023 8:32 AM, Nic wrote:
> On 8/29/23 10:43 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 8/29/2023 8:26 PM, nic wrote:
>>> I get this error
>>>
>>> ---------------------------
>>> pysol.exe - System Error
>>> ---------------------------
>>> The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Fatal error detected
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Error loading Python DLL 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PySol Fan Club edition\python311.dll'.
>>> LoadLibrary: The specified module could not be found.
>>> ---------------------------
>>>
>> And it's using path code, to load a DynDLL.
>>
>> First, it notices that its attempt to find "python311.dll" has failed.
>> When you and I know, that file is in that folder.
>>
>> The reason it cannot DynDll the "python311.dll" file, is because
>> the developer used some obscure library call to load an absolute path,
>> and the mapper DLL "api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll" is missing.
>>
>> As in my other post, a potential solution, is at least install the x86
>> one of these. But preferably, both of them.
>>
>>     "Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable page from Microsoft and click on the Download button."
>>
>>     https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685
>>
>> Doing this, may get you a little further along, before something
>> else in there, breaks.
>>
>>    Paul
> I did install the x86 version of
> Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC, but could not install the 64 bit version, it would not install, go figure, the system is w7 pro 64 bit. Now Pysol no longer throws that error, but it does not run either. I have a working copy of Pysol installed to a 32 bit w7 system on a ssd, that worked fine, maybe I should copy the contents of that directory to the current directory?

Before you do that, do "Properties" on both of the main executables.

The one which is working for you on the working case, is likely
an older version. Some executables do have a populated Properties
metadata. It is easily possible for a developer (my little programs)
to not have the metadata, such as a version number. Since your developer
seems to be using VS, then I would expect both have a version.

Instead of copying the raw files, you could track down the versioned
installer from the site, and just use that installer to do the job.
That will help reduce "surprises".

At the moment, the broken version has deposited a Python runtime somewhere.
If you uninstall the broken version, that may leave fewer shards of crap
for the potentially working one to trip over.

Like a Package Manager in Linux, Windows works best if you use Programs and Features
control panel and uninstall. And use the installer program for the next one
you want to try. That gets the best value from the automation.

Yes, there are tools for bodging it. You can use Revo Uninstaller to
remove a half-removed program. Uninstallers don't always work properly.

What's missing from the Microsoft ecosystem, is

Install (got it)
Uninstall dirty (got it)
Uninstall clean this would clean the registry, if it existed, but it does not

This means that occasionally install/uninstall doesn't correct an erroneous
situation. That's because the Registry entries left behind, can influence
program execution to such an extent, they could crash it.

But there's nothing I can do about that, except to suggest
Revo Uninstaller. Some programs, the registry entries are nicely named,
but some programs "spray crap all over the place" and it would take
hours and hours of your time, to find and remove it. Some Registry materials
are just CLSIDs, and there's no English on those to hint at their function.

As for the location of installed programs, you know about C:\Program Files .
But in fact, nobody cares about convention. One program, provided by the
Microsoft Corporation, installs the executable in a non-standard place.
Even they cannot follow their own bloody rules :-) In the past, when they
needed a %temp% directory, they didn't even check %temp% and
just picked any old partition and crapped in the top level of the
partition. That's just a warning that it's a big hard drive,
and you have to be handy with a search program sometimes :-/

Paul