"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it." -- Marvin the paranoid android

tech / sci.logic / Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

SubjectAuthor
* Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
> [...]
| |     |     ||||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| |     |     |||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
| |     |     ||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| |     |     |`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
| |     |     | `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| |     |     `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| |     `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationMikko
|  `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationMikko

Pages:1234
Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo8qat$21fjn$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6758&group=sci.logic#6758

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:05:01 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:05 UTC

On 1/17/2024 5:40 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/17/24 02:22, olcott wrote:

>>> The ONLY reason the inner simulation doesn't abort is that the outer
>>> simulation aborts first.
>>>
>>> If the outer simulation didn't abort the inner simulation would abort.
>>
>> You simply don't understand these things well enough.
>>
> I understand perfectly, and you understand nothing.
>
> If the only reason a simulation doesn't reach a final state is that the
> simulation is aborted,

*THAT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON, THUS PROVING YOU ARE CLUELESS*

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo8sn3$22cau$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6759&group=sci.logic#6759

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:45:39 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

On 1/17/24 16:05, olcott wrote:
> On 1/17/2024 5:40 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> You simply don't understand these things well enough.
>>>
>> I understand perfectly, and you understand nothing.
>>
>> If the only reason a simulation doesn't reach a final state is that
>> the simulation is aborted,
>
> *THAT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON, THUS PROVING YOU ARE CLUELESS*

It is the only reason, thus proving you are clueless.

>> the correct return value from the halting decider is 1.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo8so4$22cau$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6760&group=sci.logic#6760

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:46:11 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:46 UTC

On 1/17/24 16:02, olcott wrote:
> On 1/17/2024 5:40 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/17/24 03:36, Richard Damon wrote:
>>>
>>> No, YOU don't understand that the problem is about the ACTUAL
>>> MACHINE, and not a fantasy version that only exists in simulation.
>>>
>>> The machine that is being simulated, has a D that calls an H(D,D)
>>> that aborts its simulation and returns to D.
>>>
>>> The H sees its input call H(D,D) and gives up at that point with bad
>>> logic, and thus gets the wrong answer.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter that the simulation never got to that point, what
>>> matters is what the real machine does, and since it reaches the final
>>> state, that is what matters.
>>>
>>> You are just stuck in your fantasy world.
>>
>> Very good way to put it. The halting problem is about whether or not
>> the direct execution halts. Anything else is dishonest.
>
> If that was true then the halting problem is about D incorrectly
> simulated by H such that H simulates instructions that are not in D
> or H does not simulate instruction that are in D.

The halting problem is about whether or not the direct execution halts.
Anything else is dishonest.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo8ugm$22t3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6762&group=sci.logic#6762

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:16:22 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:16 UTC

On 1/17/2024 9:46 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/17/24 16:02, olcott wrote:

>>> Very good way to put it. The halting problem is about whether or not
>>> the direct execution halts. Anything else is dishonest.
>>
>> If that was true then the halting problem is about D incorrectly
>> simulated by H such that H simulates instructions that are not in D
>> or H does not simulate instruction that are in D.
>
> The halting problem is about whether or not the direct execution halts.
> Anything else is dishonest.

Just like ZFC corrected the faulty definition of {set}
to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's Paradox
this correction to the definition of the halting problem:

In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
determining, whether an input finite string pair of program/input
specifies a computation that would reach a final state and terminate
normally.

*Eliminates the undecidability of the halting problem*

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo94d4$24uva$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6769&group=sci.logic#6769

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:56:52 +0100
<uo0uo6$gc1s$1@dont-email.me> <uo19b4$i323$1@dont-email.me>
<uo1aff$i517$3@dont-email.me> <uo1bj6$38s0g$12@i2pn2.org>
<uo1epr$ir1v$2@dont-email.me> <uo2uuv$sh3e$1@dont-email.me>
<uo34cg$tad2$1@dont-email.me> <uo4h90$149p4$6@dont-email.me>
<uo5cok$1bio3$4@dont-email.me> <uo68r1$1gfj2$2@dont-email.me>
<uo75vi$1ll1b$3@dont-email.me> <uo7a46$1m70f$3@dont-email.me>
<uo7efg$3hfeq$9@i2pn2.org> <uo8eag$1vnjf$2@dont-email.me>
<uo8q6d$21fjn$10@dont-email.me> <uo8so4$22cau$2@dont-email.me>
<uo8ugm$22t3e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: immibis - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:56 UTC

On 1/17/24 17:16, olcott wrote:
> On 1/17/2024 9:46 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> If that was true then the halting problem is about D incorrectly
>>> simulated by H such that H simulates instructions that are not in D
>>> or H does not simulate instruction that are in D.
>>
>> The halting problem is about whether or not the direct execution
>> halts. Anything else is dishonest.
>
> Just like ZFC corrected the faulty definition of {set}
> to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's Paradox
> this correction to the definition of the halting problem:
>
> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> determining, whether an input finite string pair of program/input
> specifies a computation that would reach a final state and terminate
> normally.

Yes, the halting problem is about whether or not the direct execution
reaches a final state and terminates normally.

> *Eliminates the undecidability of the halting problem*

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo9ufr$3l1jt$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6788&group=sci.logic#6788

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:22:02 -0500
<uo0uo6$gc1s$1@dont-email.me> <uo19b4$i323$1@dont-email.me>
<uo1aff$i517$3@dont-email.me> <uo1bj6$38s0g$12@i2pn2.org>
<uo1epr$ir1v$2@dont-email.me> <uo2uuv$sh3e$1@dont-email.me>
<uo34cg$tad2$1@dont-email.me> <uo4h90$149p4$6@dont-email.me>
<uo5cok$1bio3$4@dont-email.me> <uo68r1$1gfj2$2@dont-email.me>
<uo75vi$1ll1b$3@dont-email.me> <uo7a46$1m70f$3@dont-email.me>
<uo7efg$3hfeq$9@i2pn2.org> <uo8eag$1vnjf$2@dont-email.me>
<uo8q6d$21fjn$10@dont-email.me> <uo8so4$22cau$2@dont-email.me>
<uo8ugm$22t3e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:22 UTC

On 1/17/24 11:16 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/17/2024 9:46 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> If that was true then the halting problem is about D incorrectly
>>> simulated by H such that H simulates instructions that are not in D
>>> or H does not simulate instruction that are in D.
>>
>> The halting problem is about whether or not the direct execution
>> halts. Anything else is dishonest.
>
> Just like ZFC corrected the faulty definition of {set}
> to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's Paradox
> this correction to the definition of the halting problem:
>
> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> determining, whether an input finite string pair of program/input
> specifies a computation that would reach a final state and terminate
> normally.
>
> *Eliminates the undecidability of the halting problem*

Nope. Just an admittion that you are a liar.

Note, it has been shown that the actual input D based on the decider H
that you claim is correct when given that D converted to a finite string
that fully represents it in saying it is non-halting, is given to ans
actual correct simulator (which by definition doesn't abort its
simulation) or directly run, will halt.

Your dishonest dodge of looking at a different finite string that uses a
different H is just proven to be what it is, a dishonest dodge that
prove you to be a stupid liar.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo9uft$3l1jt$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6789&group=sci.logic#6789

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:22:05 -0500

On 1/17/24 10:02 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/17/2024 5:40 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/17/24 03:36, Richard Damon wrote:
>>>
>>> No, YOU don't understand that the problem is about the ACTUAL
>>> MACHINE, and not a fantasy version that only exists in simulation.
>>>
>>> The machine that is being simulated, has a D that calls an H(D,D)
>>> that aborts its simulation and returns to D.
>>>
>>> The H sees its input call H(D,D) and gives up at that point with bad
>>> logic, and thus gets the wrong answer.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter that the simulation never got to that point, what
>>> matters is what the real machine does, and since it reaches the final
>>> state, that is what matters.
>>>
>>> You are just stuck in your fantasy world.
>>
>> Very good way to put it. The halting problem is about whether or not
>> the direct execution halts. Anything else is dishonest.
>
> If that was true then the halting problem is about D incorrectly
> simulated by H such that H simulates instructions that are not in D
> or H does not simulate instruction that are in D.

No, the Halting Problem is about H trying to figure out what D actual
does, or what an actual correct simulation of the input would do, even
if it can't do that itself.

> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly halt.
> The directly executed D(D) depends on D correctly
> simulated by H aborting its simulation otherwise
> D(D) remains stuck in recursive simulation.

Which is only applicable if H does correctly simulate its input, which
means it can't abort

> In other words D(D) only halts because H recognizes
> the D correctly simulated by H DOES NOT HALT.

Except you just had two different H's and D's in that sentence, since H
is talking about a DIFFERENT D based on a DIFFERENT H than itself, as
the H that correctly simulates doesn't abort, so can't be this.

You are just admitting that you are just a pathological liar that would
know a true statement if it tried to bite your nose.