From: log...@is.important (dyno dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Foobar 2000 and Windows-10 sleep mode
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:52:06 -0500
 by: dyno dan - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 21:52 UTC

A while back I wrote a note here about Windows sleep, and noted that
it did NOT sleep when Foobar 2000 was running playing songs. There
were a few replies to the effect that it is not supposed to sleep
then.

Well I forgot to add one important piece of information. Foobar 2000,
under FILE -> Preferences -> Buffering has an option to "Prevent hard
disk sleep while playing." This option is NOT checked on my system.
SInce Foobar has a limited buffer, I think it logical to expect that
it will stop playing once the buffer is emptied and it needs to read
the disk. At that point, I would expect Windows to go to sleep after
the set time (5 minutes in my case). Hours later.... still playing,
Windows NOT in sleep mode.

It appears to me that Foobar 2000 is not talking to Win-10 on this
matter. Any thoughts?

-dan z-
__

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Re: Foobar 2000 and Windows-10 sleep mode

<ha29thhmirskestnmr4fucj3qkbl0mf101@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68479&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68479

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Foobar 2000 and Windows-10 sleep mode
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:33:25 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 02:33 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:52:06 -0500, dyno dan <logic@is.important> wrote:

>A while back I wrote a note here about Windows sleep, and noted that
>it did NOT sleep when Foobar 2000 was running playing songs. There
>were a few replies to the effect that it is not supposed to sleep
>then.
>
>Well I forgot to add one important piece of information. Foobar 2000,
>under FILE -> Preferences -> Buffering has an option to "Prevent hard
>disk sleep while playing." This option is NOT checked on my system.
>SInce Foobar has a limited buffer, I think it logical to expect that
>it will stop playing once the buffer is emptied and it needs to read
>the disk. At that point, I would expect Windows to go to sleep after
>the set time (5 minutes in my case). Hours later.... still playing,
>Windows NOT in sleep mode.
>
>It appears to me that Foobar 2000 is not talking to Win-10 on this
>matter. Any thoughts?

By chance, are you confusing hard disk sleep with Windows sleep? Those
are two different things.

Re: Foobar 2000 and Windows-10 sleep mode

<C90BL.874034$MEGf.517127@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68480&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68480

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: ...@. (Mighty✅ Wannabe✅)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 21:56:33 -0500
 by: Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 02:56 UTC

dyno dan wrote on 1/27/2023 4:52 PM:
> A while back I wrote a note here about Windows sleep, and noted that
> it did NOT sleep when Foobar 2000 was running playing songs. There
> were a few replies to the effect that it is not supposed to sleep
> then.
>
> Well I forgot to add one important piece of information. Foobar 2000,
> under FILE -> Preferences -> Buffering has an option to "Prevent hard
> disk sleep while playing." This option is NOT checked on my system.
> SInce Foobar has a limited buffer, I think it logical to expect that
> it will stop playing once the buffer is emptied and it needs to read
> the disk. At that point, I would expect Windows to go to sleep after
> the set time (5 minutes in my case). Hours later.... still playing,
> Windows NOT in sleep mode.
>
> It appears to me that Foobar 2000 is not talking to Win-10 on this
> matter. Any thoughts?
>
> -dan z-
> __

I found that Windows won't go to sleep if your media player is playing
video or audio.

I normally use Media Player Classic (Portable) and set it to run in
repeat mode forever in the background.

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/mpc-hc-portable