System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

SubjectAuthor
* How do people build a personal web site nowadays?gtr
+- Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Stan Brown
+* Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Newyana2
|`* Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Bill
| `* Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Newyana2
|  `* Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Jim the Geordie
|   `- Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Philip Herlihy
+- Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`- Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?Big Al

1
How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<tr9bkp$3emlb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68560&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68560

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:08:56 -0800
 by: gtr - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 21:08 UTC

Long ago I had a web site with GoDaddy and I maintained it, but that was in
the Apache days of dogpile searches (way before google) and a page of web
sites I liked (again, before search engines were widespread).

How do people go about it nowadays?

a. Which place has cheap domains?
b. I would probably edit the HTML by hand.
c. I would expect only 100 visitors (at most) a month.

What else do you need to know?

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<MPG.3e41d3e16511d6c199003b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68561&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68561

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:18:01 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 21:18 UTC

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:08:56 -0800, gtr wrote:

> Long ago I had a web site with GoDaddy and I maintained it, but that was in
> the Apache days of dogpile searches (way before google) and a page of web
> sites I liked (again, before search engines were widespread).
>
> How do people go about it nowadays?
>
> a. Which place has cheap domains?
> b. I would probably edit the HTML by hand.
> c. I would expect only 100 visitors (at most) a month.
>
> What else do you need to know?

These aren't Windows 10 questions. And "which place has cheap
domains" varies from month to month.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<tra2hm$3l76p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68563&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68563

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 22:39:24 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 03:39 UTC

"gtr" <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote

| a. Which place has cheap domains?
| b. I would probably edit the HTML by hand.
| c. I would expect only 100 visitors (at most) a month.

I'm registered via Namecheap and hosting on Knownhost.
I think it's $13/month. That includes real hosting, control of
the server space, PHP, web logs, full email service, https
certificate, etc.
You can get it for $3-5. Maybe even less. But those sites
may put ads on your pages and don't expect you to really
use the site much.

So it's up to you. If you don't live under a bridge and you
can afford a real host, I'd suggest the $10-15 range. That's
if you write your own code, which is what I do. For people
who know nothing but want to advertise their small business,
there are sites like Wix that let you make a page by drag/drop.
But then you don't actually have a site. Your URL forwards
to their database and they spit out a pile of javascript crap
to your visitors, who will need javascript enabled to see your
site, because there isn't actually a website there. There are
no webpages and virtually no HTML.

Does that help? Managing a website is fairly easy, but it's
also fairly esoteric. There's no such thing as a handbook that
just tells you about FTP, cPanel, .htaccess, PHP, and the
other tidbits that you'll need to figure out. But it's more a
problem of finding out how to find it out than anything else.

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<nE1CL.283449$t5W7.62063@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68564&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68564

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 00:26:43 -0500
 by: Bill - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 05:26 UTC

On 1/30/2023 10:39 PM, Newyana2 wrote:

> Does that help? Managing a website is fairly easy, but it's
> also fairly esoteric. There's no such thing as a handbook that
> just tells you about FTP, cPanel, .htaccess, PHP, and the
> other tidbits that you'll need to figure out. But it's more a
> problem of finding out how to find it out than anything else.

The quick way to deal with all this is to "Find out how someone else is
doing it". I am familiar with some rather large institutions for which
this is a basic procedure--and not one just used for building web sites.

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<trb365$3qm56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68566&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68566

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 07:56:27 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:56 UTC

"Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote

| The quick way to deal with all this is to "Find out how someone else is
| doing it". I am familiar with some rather large institutions for which
| this is a basic procedure--and not one just used for building web sites.

I guess that's what gtr is trying to do. I often find reddit useful
for such things. Though the people there are often impatient with
general questions.

I think that in the case of webmastering, there are also problems
caused by just "seeing how someone else does it". That's the
cause of ubiquitous websites by people who don't know how to
code and just pass around javascript snippets to do "cool stuff".
Or the Wordpress kids who base a site on that package but don't
know they need to keep their plugins updated, so they produce
some of the most dangerous sites online because people hack
their plugins. They're typically using WYSIWYG software and don't
actually understand the whole thing. They just got a tip that if they
put the right plugin in the right folder, their site can have comments.

Another version is the software that spits out a file full of
bloated CSS and JSON, with virtually no HTML. It's nearly unreadable
as code. Often even the text content is embedded in script. Only
the newest browsers can see the page. Because it's actually not
a page. It's really a software program. You can ask those people
how they did it. They'll probably say, "Well, after I bring the boss
his coffee, I come in here and press this button."

That's really not exaggeration. Most "webmasters" today would never
recognize anything of the code in their webpages. Few even know how
to use FTP. Microsoft started that with their Front Page WYSIWYG
software. At this point, much of it is automated and one or two steps
removed by the person managing the site.

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<MPG.3e4340fe15fe1648989701@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68569&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68569

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:15:45 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:15 UTC

In article <trb365$3qm56$1@dont-email.me>, Newyana2@invalid.nospam
says...

> "Bill" <nonegiven@att.net> wrote
>
> | The quick way to deal with all this is to "Find out how someone else is
> | doing it". I am familiar with some rather large institutions for which
> | this is a basic procedure--and not one just used for building web sites.
> |

> I guess that's what gtr is trying to do. I often find reddit useful
> for such things. Though the people there are often impatient with
> general questions.
>
> I think that in the case of webmastering, there are also problems
> caused by just "seeing how someone else does it". That's the
> cause of ubiquitous websites by people who don't know how to
> code and just pass around javascript snippets to do "cool stuff".
> Or the Wordpress kids who base a site on that package but don't
> know they need to keep their plugins updated, so they produce
> some of the most dangerous sites online because people hack
> their plugins. They're typically using WYSIWYG software and don't
> actually understand the whole thing. They just got a tip that if they
> put the right plugin in the right folder, their site can have comments.
>
> Another version is the software that spits out a file full of
> bloated CSS and JSON, with virtually no HTML. It's nearly unreadable
> as code. Often even the text content is embedded in script. Only
> the newest browsers can see the page. Because it's actually not
> a page. It's really a software program. You can ask those people
> how they did it. They'll probably say, "Well, after I bring the boss
> his coffee, I come in here and press this button."
>
> That's really not exaggeration. Most "webmasters" today would never
> recognize anything of the code in their webpages. Few even know how
> to use FTP. Microsoft started that with their Front Page WYSIWYG
> software. At this point, much of it is automated and one or two steps
> removed by the person managing the site.

I use a paid for copy of M$ Expression Web. I believe it is now free.
It is WYSIWYG, but the HTML sometimes needs a bit of tweaking

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<trbldt$3tode$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68574&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68574

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:07:55 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:07 UTC

gtr wrote on 1/30/2023 2:08 PM:
> Long ago I had a web site with GoDaddy and I maintained it, but that was in
> the Apache days of dogpile searches (way before google) and a page of web
> sites I liked (again, before search engines were widespread).
>
> How do people go about it nowadays?
>
> a. Which place has cheap domains?
> b. I would probably edit the HTML by hand.
> c. I would expect only 100 visitors (at most) a month.
>
> What else do you need to know?
The normal route
Obtain a domain
Use application software to build your web site
Link your web site to the domain

For many, the simple route - obtain your domain from GoDaddy, use their
free version of 'Website Builder' software(or optionally free web site
building software) to build your web site, upgrade your Website builder
acct to the premium version to connect/link the domain and web site.

Chronology:
GoDaddy first provided domain registration under the GoDaddy brand name
in 1999. Google and its online search engine pre-dated the GoDaddy brand
name by about 1 year(1998). Additional individual entrepreneur funding
for Google also started in 1998(Cofounder of Sun and and founder of
Amazon) - by 1999 shortly before GoDaddy brand name Google had $25
million investor supported funding. A year later Google began ad related
search(revenue, cash flow, etc).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<MPG.3e447383aa733ad1989a48@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68575&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68575

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 13:03:32 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 13:03 UTC

In article <MPG.3e4340fe15fe1648989701@news.eternal-september.org>, Jim the
Geordie wrote...

> I use a paid for copy of M$ Expression Web. I believe it is now free.
> It is WYSIWYG, but the HTML sometimes needs a bit of tweaking

I'm still using an old (Vs 6) version of Dreamweaver, which I like (though I
don't like the subscription model, or I'd have upgraded). Together with using
the Developer Tools (F12) in Chrome, Edge or Firefox. I understand that Visual
Studio "Code" is free, and offers an up-to-date environment for developing
HTML, CSS and JavaScript - might be worth a look. Expression Web was quite
good, but is now very dated.

--

Phil, London

Re: How do people build a personal web site nowadays?

<trdubd$ciip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68576&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68576

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:52:28 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:52 UTC

On 1/30/23 16:08, this is what gtr wrote:
> Long ago I had a web site with GoDaddy and I maintained it, but that was in
> the Apache days of dogpile searches (way before google) and a page of web
> sites I liked (again, before search engines were widespread).
>
> How do people go about it nowadays?
>
> a. Which place has cheap domains?
> b. I would probably edit the HTML by hand.
> c. I would expect only 100 visitors (at most) a month.
>
> What else do you need to know?
I found a free site that gave me a subdomain of theirs (I picked the extension like "als-home".
I use it simply to ftp files onto the site.
I develop locally just using a text editor. My stuff is maybe a bit complex, java.script, multiple pages etc, but
nothing like interactive forms or such.
The free account requires me to log in via their web portal once every 26 days or so. I have a recurring calendar
event for 23 days to remind me.

AL