"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about." -- B. L. Whorf

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

SubjectAuthor
* Theoretical setup for Fax machineNic
+- Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineMike Easter
+* Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machinePaul
|+* Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineNic
||`- Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineMike Easter
|`- Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineNic
`* Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineMarco Moock
 `* Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineNic
  +* Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineMarco Moock
  |`- Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineNic
  `- Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machineMike Easter

1
Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<yMnNM.68048$i1yc.28116@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6853&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6853

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: Theoretical setup for Fax machine
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:57:18 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:57 UTC

If I installed:
efax- a small ANSI C/POSIX program that provides the data transport
function for fax applications using any Class 1 or Class 2 fax modem

and

efax-gtk-is a GTK+ front end for the efax program. It can
be used to send and receive faxes with a fax modem, and to
view, print and manage faxes received.

and

DriverGenius USB 2.0 Fax Modem - External V.92 56K Dial Up USB Analog
Fax Modem

https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-UM02-USB-2-0-Modem/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVFI934SIDGH&keywords=usb+fax+linux&qid=1694893690&sprefix=usb+fax+linux%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3

COMPATIBILITY: Compatible for Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows XP/SP3, MacOS
Intel(10.9 to 10.10) and Linux kernel (3.16 to 4.4).

Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital copies
of forms through the fax system?

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<kmmhvmFbsdgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6854&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6854

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:37:09 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:37 UTC

Nic wrote:
> If I installed:
> efax- a small ANSI C/POSIX program that provides the data transport
> function for fax applications using any Class 1 or Class 2 fax modem
>
> and
>
> efax-gtk-is a GTK+ front end for the efax program. It can
> be used to send and receive faxes with a fax modem, and to
> view, print and manage faxes received.
>
> and
>

>  DriverGenius USB 2.0 Fax Modem - External V.92 56K Dial Up USB Analog
>  Fax Modem
>
> https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-UM02-USB-2-0-Modem/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVFI934SIDGH&keywords=usb+fax+linux&qid=1694893690&sprefix=usb+fax+linux%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3
>
> COMPATIBILITY: Compatible for Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows XP/SP3, MacOS
> Intel(10.9 to 10.10) and Linux kernel (3.16 to 4.4).
>
> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital copies
> of forms through the fax system?

Maybe.

I have a lot of 'trial and error' fax experiences based on:

- original ATT-type POTS
- free-standing Brother fax machine designed for POTS
- MS fax s/w, Win9x
- MS fax s/w, WinXP
- free-standing POTS modems w/ win & linux
- Win-modems w/ win & linux
- integration of the above w/ VoIP connectivity instead of POTS
- eFax
- I don't recall if there was every a successful USB fax modem in the mix

My fax experiences include the ability to send and receive faxes to and
from myself.

The answer for us trial and error folks is; you can't be sure until you
get it to work for you.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<ue53m1$3vtr5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6855&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6855

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:37:20 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:37 UTC

On 9/16/2023 3:57 PM, Nic wrote:
> If I installed:
> efax- a small ANSI C/POSIX program that provides the data transport
> function for fax applications using any Class 1 or Class 2 fax modem
>
> and
>
> efax-gtk-is a GTK+ front end for the efax program. It can
> be used to send and receive faxes with a fax modem, and to
> view, print and manage faxes received.
>
> and
>

>  DriverGenius USB 2.0 Fax Modem - External V.92 56K Dial Up USB Analog
>  Fax Modem
>
> https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-UM02-USB-2-0-Modem/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVFI934SIDGH&keywords=usb+fax+linux&qid=1694893690&sprefix=usb+fax+linux%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3
>

> COMPATIBILITY: Compatible for Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows XP/SP3, MacOS Intel(10.9 to 10.10) and Linux kernel (3.16 to 4.4).
>

> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital copies of forms through the fax system?

Do you have an AIO Printer, with Print/Scan/FAX ?

That may have a RJ11 on the back of the chassis, for a phone line.

If you no longer have POTS, and are using VOIP over broadband,
then the baud rate on the FAX may need to be turned down to 9600 baud.
The next higher up baud choice, supports "Fine" mode (which used
to be preferred in the past, by users).

*******

FAX modems consist of two types.

1) WinModem - DAC makes audio signals, DAA makes electrical interface to phone line.
DAA is there, to protect computer from high amplitude transients.

- The driver code, implements DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and
makes all the beep noises for the protocol. It can decode the
signals at anywhere up to the 56K negotiated rate.

2) DataPump - Modem has RS232 connector. Internals do all the DSP using an 85MHz DSP CPU.
- Device needs no driver.
- Device has a "dialing string" and accepts Hayes Command Set (ATDT5551212)

*******

There are also "gateways" that accept some other format,
and they then send the goods via FAX.

Paul

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<DwoNM.68049$i1yc.36141@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6856&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6856

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:48:35 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:48 UTC

On 9/16/23 4:37 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/16/2023 3:57 PM, Nic wrote:
>> If I installed:
>> efax- a small ANSI C/POSIX program that provides the data transport
>> function for fax applications using any Class 1 or Class 2 fax modem
>>
>> and
>>
>> efax-gtk-is a GTK+ front end for the efax program. It can
>> be used to send and receive faxes with a fax modem, and to
>> view, print and manage faxes received.
>>
>> and
>>

>>  DriverGenius USB 2.0 Fax Modem - External V.92 56K Dial Up USB Analog
>>  Fax Modem
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-UM02-USB-2-0-Modem/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVFI934SIDGH&keywords=usb+fax+linux&qid=1694893690&sprefix=usb+fax+linux%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3
>>

>> COMPATIBILITY: Compatible for Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows XP/SP3, MacOS Intel(10.9 to 10.10) and Linux kernel (3.16 to 4.4).
>>

>> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital copies of forms through the fax system?
> Do you have an AIO Printer, with Print/Scan/FAX ?
>
> That may have a RJ11 on the back of the chassis, for a phone line.
>
> If you no longer have POTS, and are using VOIP over broadband,
> then the baud rate on the FAX may need to be turned down to 9600 baud.
> The next higher up baud choice, supports "Fine" mode (which used
> to be preferred in the past, by users).
>
> *******
>
> FAX modems consist of two types.
>
> 1) WinModem - DAC makes audio signals, DAA makes electrical interface to phone line.
> DAA is there, to protect computer from high amplitude transients.
>
> - The driver code, implements DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and
> makes all the beep noises for the protocol. It can decode the
> signals at anywhere up to the 56K negotiated rate.
>
> 2) DataPump - Modem has RS232 connector. Internals do all the DSP using an 85MHz DSP CPU.
> - Device needs no driver.
> - Device has a "dialing string" and accepts Hayes Command Set (ATDT5551212)
>
> *******
>
> There are also "gateways" that accept some other format,
> and they then send the goods via FAX.
>
> Paul

I plan to give this a try. The software was installed via synaptic and
seems to be working. Now I have to purchase that usb modem and plug it
in and see if it works.

I don't have a need for frequent fax's, so a dedicated device with a
large foot print is not what I am looking for. I do have a
multi-function inkjet brother printer of which I never used the fax
service. This simple usb device seems very small and sleek.

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<kmmlurFcf4uU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6857&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6857

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:44:58 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 21:44 UTC

Nic wrote:
> This simple usb device seems very small and sleek.

My recollection (which is very hazy on the USB part) is that I might
have never gotten a USB device to do faxes under the conditions I
wanted/ was testing/.

But, I do recall getting a USB modem to 'work' for dialup connectivity
over POTS.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<ue62lk$8f6m$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6858&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6858

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 07:26:11 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 05:26 UTC

Am 16.09.2023 um 15:57:18 Uhr schrieb Nic:

> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital
> copies of forms through the fax system?

Should be possible, I used efax in the past with my longshine USB modem.

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<a4DNM.23258$H8td.15803@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6859&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6859

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 09:22:13 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:22 UTC

On 9/17/23 1:26 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 16.09.2023 um 15:57:18 Uhr schrieb Nic:
>
>> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital
>> copies of forms through the fax system?
> Should be possible, I used efax in the past with my longshine USB modem.

I plan to set this up, my only problem will be the signature on the
form, I will have to sign it then scan it back into pdf. Not sure how my
old usb canon scanner will behave with Linux.

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<ue7451$dnp3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6860&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6860

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:57:37 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:57 UTC

Am 17.09.2023 um 09:22:13 Uhr schrieb Nic:

> Not sure how my old usb canon scanner will behave with Linux.

http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<kmopejFmmphU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6861&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6861

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 09:56:50 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:56 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I plan to set this up, my only problem will be the signature on the
> form, I will have to sign it then scan it back into pdf.

Yes.

> Not sure how my old usb canon scanner will behave with Linux.
I'm not one who thinks I have to do everything w/ linux. Sometimes it
is 'more trouble' than I want to spend.

Some of the things I do w/ scanning and printing use IrfanView and
PDFXchange Viewer because I like their 'features' more than my linux
choices. IV will run under wine (or a VM) but I use it w/ Win7; also
Wine HQ says PDFX is rated Platinum, but I don't do that either.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<47KNM.2640$3V4d.234@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6863&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6863

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:23:12 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:23 UTC

On 9/17/23 10:57 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 17.09.2023 um 09:22:13 Uhr schrieb Nic:
>
>> Not sure how my old usb canon scanner will behave with Linux.
> http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Got lucky, the Canon scanner worked just fine  in Linux. Using Document
Scanner 3.36.3

Re: Theoretical setup for Fax machine

<KMmQM.284834$%uv8.70221@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6869&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6869

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:16:26 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:16 UTC

On 9/16/23 4:37 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/16/2023 3:57 PM, Nic wrote:
>> If I installed:
>> efax- a small ANSI C/POSIX program that provides the data transport
>> function for fax applications using any Class 1 or Class 2 fax modem
>>
>> and
>>
>> efax-gtk-is a GTK+ front end for the efax program. It can
>> be used to send and receive faxes with a fax modem, and to
>> view, print and manage faxes received.
>>
>> and
>>

>>  DriverGenius USB 2.0 Fax Modem - External V.92 56K Dial Up USB Analog
>>  Fax Modem
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/DriverGenius-UM02-USB-2-0-Modem/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BVFI934SIDGH&keywords=usb+fax+linux&qid=1694893690&sprefix=usb+fax+linux%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3
>>

>> COMPATIBILITY: Compatible for Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows XP/SP3, MacOS Intel(10.9 to 10.10) and Linux kernel (3.16 to 4.4).
>>

>> Would I be able to connect this to my phone line and send digital copies of forms through the fax system?
> Do you have an AIO Printer, with Print/Scan/FAX ?
>
> That may have a RJ11 on the back of the chassis, for a phone line.
>
> If you no longer have POTS, and are using VOIP over broadband,
> then the baud rate on the FAX may need to be turned down to 9600 baud.
> The next higher up baud choice, supports "Fine" mode (which used
> to be preferred in the past, by users).
>
> *******
>
> FAX modems consist of two types.
>
> 1) WinModem - DAC makes audio signals, DAA makes electrical interface to phone line.
> DAA is there, to protect computer from high amplitude transients.
>
> - The driver code, implements DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and
> makes all the beep noises for the protocol. It can decode the
> signals at anywhere up to the 56K negotiated rate.
>
> 2) DataPump - Modem has RS232 connector. Internals do all the DSP using an 85MHz DSP CPU.
> - Device needs no driver.
> - Device has a "dialing string" and accepts Hayes Command Set (ATDT5551212)
>
> *******
>
> There are also "gateways" that accept some other format,
> and they then send the goods via FAX.
>
> Paul

I bought a different usb fax modem, that came with a small diameter cd.
After the installation it did not work. I could not send a fax. After
several days and hours of testing and tweaking I found a solution that
worked. While using lsusb I could see the modem. In EFAX there is a line
in the settings for Serial Device, which by default is set for ttyS1, I
changed it to ttyACM0 and bingo it worked.

I tested my fax at https://faxbeep.com/#refresh