The amount of weight an evangelist carries with the almighty is measured in billigrahams.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Win10 Resetting File Associations

SubjectAuthor
* Win10 Resetting File AssociationsDavidm
+* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsPhilip Herlihy
|+* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsNil
||`* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|| `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsNil
||  +- Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsPaul
||  `- Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsAndy Burns
|`- Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsR2D2
+- Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsMr. Man-wai Chang
+- Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`* Re: Win10 Resetting File Associationsmilsabords
 `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsPaul
  `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsStan Brown
   `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsPaul
    `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsStan Brown
     `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsKen Blake
      `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsStan Brown
       `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsKen Blake
        `* Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsStan Brown
         `- Re: Win10 Resetting File AssociationsKen Blake

1
Win10 Resetting File Associations

<c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68923&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68923

From: davidm_u...@hotmail.com (Davidm)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Win10 Resetting File Associations
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:52:55 +0000
 by: Davidm - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:52 UTC

Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<MPG.3e51baf7126d5530989a4b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68924&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68924

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:47:52 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:47 UTC

In article <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>, Davidm wrote...

> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!

None of my W10 installations do this, and all are set to default to my
preferred utilities. I do wonder what's going on with yours! (There are
rather too many 'solutions' offered online, I fear...)

If you want to set up a handy batch script as a workaround to set them back,
have a look at the Command-line ASSOC and FTYPE utilities:
https://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/assocftype.htm

--

Phil, London

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<ts8b7c$1ejhu$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68926&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68926

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 23:11:35 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:11 UTC

On 11/2/2023 9:52 pm, Davidm wrote:
> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!

Which file extension is being affected? Maybe a ill-behaved program?

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<XnsAFA87B9FD9F4Cnilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68929&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68929

From: rednoi...@rednoise9.invalid (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:09:09 -0500
 by: Nil - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 17:09 UTC

On 11 Feb 2023, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid>
wrote in alt.comp.os.windows-10:

> In article <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>, Davidm
> wrote...
>>
>> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the
>> file associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge,
>> jpg files to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for
>> opening files!
>
> None of my W10 installations do this, and all are set to default
> to my preferred utilities. I do wonder what's going on with
> yours! (There are rather too many 'solutions' offered online, I
> fear...)
>
> If you want to set up a handy batch script as a workaround to set
> them back, have a look at the Command-line ASSOC and FTYPE
> utilities:
> https://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/assocftype.htm

Mine does this. I suspect it has to do with Edge updating, after which
it tries to claim itself as default viewer for images and PDFs.
Annoying, but it doesn't happen often enough to get me to do something
about it... yet.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<TWQFL.20802$%fjc.752@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68931&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68931

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: ...@. (Mighty✅ Wannabe✅)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:15:08 -0500
 by: Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:15 UTC

Nil wrote on 2/11/2023 12:09 PM:
> On 11 Feb 2023, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid>
> wrote in alt.comp.os.windows-10:
>
>> In article <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>, Davidm
>> wrote...
>>> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the
>>> file associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge,
>>> jpg files to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for
>>> opening files!
>> None of my W10 installations do this, and all are set to default
>> to my preferred utilities. I do wonder what's going on with
>> yours! (There are rather too many 'solutions' offered online, I
>> fear...)
>>
>> If you want to set up a handy batch script as a workaround to set
>> them back, have a look at the Command-line ASSOC and FTYPE
>> utilities:
>> https://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/assocftype.htm
> Mine does this. I suspect it has to do with Edge updating, after which
> it tries to claim itself as default viewer for images and PDFs.
> Annoying, but it doesn't happen often enough to get me to do something
> about it... yet.

If I use Acrobat to open a PDF, Edge will change the default to use Edge
next time.

Next time if I insist on using Acrobat or other programs to open the
PDF, I have to right-click and choose "Open with".

However, if I change the default to SumatraPDF to open PDF, then Edge
won't steal the default. That means Edge is watching and stealing the
default from Acrobat only.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<ts91gc$1h1ii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68941

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:31:54 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:31 UTC

Davidm wrote on 2/11/2023 6:52 AM:
> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!

Not seeing that happen on Windows 10 Pro. Been over a year since the last
clean install of Win10 21H2(now upgraded to 22H2 via Windows Update)and
defaults were set to non Edge programs for pdf, jpg(other photo file
types), video, etc.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<XnsAFA8C5EBE526Anilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68945

From: rednoi...@rednoise9.invalid (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:27:23 -0500
 by: Nil - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:27 UTC

On 11 Feb 2023, =?UTF-8?B?TWlnaHR54pyFIFdhbm5hYmXinIU=?= <@.> wrote
in alt.comp.os.windows-10:

> Nil wrote on 2/11/2023 12:09 PM:
>> On 11 Feb 2023, Philip Herlihy
>> <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote in
>> alt.comp.os.windows-10:
>>
>>> In article <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>, Davidm
>>> wrote...
>>> None of my W10 installations do this, and all are set to default
>>> to my preferred utilities. I do wonder what's going on with
>>> yours! (There are rather too many 'solutions' offered online, I
>>> fear...)
>>>
>>> If you want to set up a handy batch script as a workaround to
>>> set them back, have a look at the Command-line ASSOC and FTYPE
>>> utilities:
>>> https://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/assocftype.htm
>> Mine does this. I suspect it has to do with Edge updating, after
>> which it tries to claim itself as default viewer for images and
>> PDFs. Annoying, but it doesn't happen often enough to get me to
>> do something about it... yet.
>
> If I use Acrobat to open a PDF, Edge will change the default to
> use Edge next time.
>
> Next time if I insist on using Acrobat or other programs to open
> the PDF, I have to right-click and choose "Open with".
>
> However, if I change the default to SumatraPDF to open PDF, then
> Edge won't steal the default. That means Edge is watching and
> stealing the default from Acrobat only.

It's not Acrobat only - I use Foxit and my PDF association gets stolen
occasionally. Acrobat has never been installed on this computer.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<ts9p0r$1m9fu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68947&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68947

From: nos...@nospam.org (milsabords)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 05:13:14 +0100
 by: milsabords - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 04:13 UTC

Davidm a formulé ce samedi :
> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/02/08/microsoft-drops-edges-pdf-reader-in-favor-of-adobe-acrobat-pdf/

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<ts9ssj$1mkj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68949&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68949

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:19:14 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 05:19 UTC

On 2/11/2023 7:27 PM, Nil wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2023, =?UTF-8?B?TWlnaHR54pyFIFdhbm5hYmXinIU=?= <@.> wrote
> in alt.comp.os.windows-10:
>
>> Nil wrote on 2/11/2023 12:09 PM:
>>> On 11 Feb 2023, Philip Herlihy
>>> <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote in
>>> alt.comp.os.windows-10:

>>> Mine does this. I suspect it has to do with Edge updating, after
>>> which it tries to claim itself as default viewer for images and
>>> PDFs. Annoying, but it doesn't happen often enough to get me to
>>> do something about it... yet.
>>
>> If I use Acrobat to open a PDF, Edge will change the default to
>> use Edge next time.
>>
>> Next time if I insist on using Acrobat or other programs to open
>> the PDF, I have to right-click and choose "Open with".
>>
>> However, if I change the default to SumatraPDF to open PDF, then
>> Edge won't steal the default. That means Edge is watching and
>> stealing the default from Acrobat only.
>
> It's not Acrobat only - I use Foxit and my PDF association gets stolen
> occasionally. Acrobat has never been installed on this computer.

<tkcajk$3ng9t$1@dont-email.me>

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Ctkcajk%243ng9t%241%40dont-email.me%3E

https://kolbi.cz/blog/2017/10/25/setuserfta-userchoice-hash-defeated-set-file-type-associations-per-user/

SetUserFTA.exe .pdf AcroExch.Document.DC

To avoid getting charged under the DMCA, he cannot tell us
all the details of that mechanism. The program sets the
hashid on the registry entry, so that the OS thinks it
set that value.

Part of the fun, is figuring out what the ProgID should be.
Maybe that is already in the registry somewhere.

Someone who has a broken association, needs to test this out
and see if it has any effect at all.

Paul

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<tsa3l9$1n90o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68950&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68950

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:14:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 07:14 UTC

On 2/11/2023 11:13 PM, milsabords wrote:
> Davidm a formulé ce samedi :
>> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
>> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
>> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2023/02/08/microsoft-drops-edges-pdf-reader-in-favor-of-adobe-acrobat-pdf/

Oh dear, leaving all the Adobe marketing shit intact ?
(Rotate a page, start a trial ??? And similar baloney.)

Paul

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<MPG.3e52c08378010162990057@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68959&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68959

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:23:53 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:23 UTC

On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:14:48 -0500, Paul wrote:

> On 2/11/2023 11:13 PM, milsabords wrote:
> > Davidm a formulé ce samedi :
> >> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
> >> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
> >> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!
> >
> > https://www.ghacks.net/2023/02/08/microsoft-drops-edges-pdf-reader-in-favor-of-adobe-acrobat-pdf/
>
> Oh dear, leaving all the Adobe marketing shit intact ?
> (Rotate a page, start a trial ??? And similar baloney.)

It's distressing, but not that surprising. Microsoft ads for the
Microsoft store, in the solitaire games that come preinstalled in
Windows 10, have been pushing Adobe Acrobat and Netflix quite hard,
and I can't imagine they're doing that for free. No doubt Adobe is
paying Microsoft to drop its own PDF reader and use Acrobat.

It will be interesting to see whether other browsers do something
similar.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<k4sml2Fc64oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68960&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68960

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:40:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:40 UTC

Nil wrote:

> It's not Acrobat only - I use Foxit and my PDF association gets stolen
> occasionally.

ISTR two occasions where microsoft stole the PDF association away from
Sumatra ...

When the first "november update" for Win10 came along and acted more
like a fresh install, than an update

and again when the chrome-based Edge came along, other than that it has
left me alone.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<tsbfp6$1rtb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68963&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68963

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:47:51 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:47 UTC

On 2/12/2023 12:23 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:14:48 -0500, Paul wrote:
>>
>> On 2/11/2023 11:13 PM, milsabords wrote:
>>> Davidm a formulé ce samedi :
>>>
>>> https://www.ghacks.net/2023/02/08/microsoft-drops-edges-pdf-reader-in-favor-of-adobe-acrobat-pdf/
>>
>> Oh dear, leaving all the Adobe marketing shit intact ?
>> (Rotate a page, start a trial ??? And similar baloney.)
>
> It's distressing, but not that surprising. Microsoft ads for the
> Microsoft store, in the solitaire games that come preinstalled in
> Windows 10, have been pushing Adobe Acrobat and Netflix quite hard,
> and I can't imagine they're doing that for free. No doubt Adobe is
> paying Microsoft to drop its own PDF reader and use Acrobat.
>
> It will be interesting to see whether other browsers do something
> similar.

Adobe wants that rent, pretty bad.

All I can say, is "hug your copy of Foxit".

Paul

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<b5niuhprt12bt5q50b5dtvdtktoh86etjt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68965&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68965

From: a...@xx.ff (R2D2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:41:27 +0000
 by: R2D2 - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:41 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:47:52 -0000, Philip Herlihy
<PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

>In article <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com>, Davidm wrote...
>>
>> Has anyone found a way to stop Win10 continually resetting the file
>> associations for certain types of file (eg pdf file to Edge, jpg files
>> to Photos). I want to keep my preferred apps for opening files!
>
>None of my W10 installations do this, and all are set to default to my
>preferred utilities. I do wonder what's going on with yours! (There are
>rather too many 'solutions' offered online, I fear...)
>
>If you want to set up a handy batch script as a workaround to set them back,
>have a look at the Command-line ASSOC and FTYPE utilities:
>https://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/assocftype.htm

Happens constantly after most rounds of updates, on our Windows 10 Pro
PCs: PDF and image readers and default browser, if not MS products,
usually return to an MS default.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<MPG.3e53ee4e1467ceb299005b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68976&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68976

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 06:51:35 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:51 UTC

On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:47:51 -0500, Paul wrote:
> Adobe wants that rent, pretty bad.
>
> All I can say, is "hug your copy of Foxit".

Or in my case, PDF X-Change. I tried Foxit, several years back, and
immediately uninstalled it. I can't remember what prompted that
decision, but I do remember the uninstall was painful.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<jblkuhpvgnkitbdn4qme82ni9qnmems3bi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68978&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68978

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:26:10 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:26 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 06:51:35 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:47:51 -0500, Paul wrote:
>> Adobe wants that rent, pretty bad.
>>
>> All I can say, is "hug your copy of Foxit".
>

>Or in my case, PDF X-Change. I tried Foxit, several years back, and
>immediately uninstalled it. I can't remember what prompted that
>decision, but I do remember the uninstall was painful.

I'm sorry you can't remember. I'd like to hear why. I like Foxit a
lot. To me, it's the best of PDF readers.

I briefly switched to Sumatra a few months ago. I liked it, but I
liked Foxit better, so I went back to it.

PDF X-Change is a PDF editor, isn't it? I've never had a need to edit
a PDF file, so I have no interest in it.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<MPG.3e54016285aa1d6b99005d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68979&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68979

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:12:59 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:12 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:26:10 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
> PDF X-Change is a PDF editor, isn't it? I've never had a need to edit
> a PDF file, so I have no interest in it.

There's a pro version that will do editing, but the only type of
editing I ever need to do is splitting or merging PDFs, and mutools
does fine for that.

I don't count filling in forms as editing. My copy of PDF X-change
does fine on most forms, though I had persistent trouble with NY
State tax forms.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<vjtkuhtl81gev4h2qfcc9nm4vkeaioe4e6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68980

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:57:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 17:57 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:12:59 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:26:10 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>> PDF X-Change is a PDF editor, isn't it? I've never had a need to edit
>> a PDF file, so I have no interest in it.
>>

>There's a pro version that will do editing, but the only type of
>editing I ever need to do is splitting or merging PDFs, and mutools
>does fine for that.
>
>I don't count filling in forms as editing. My copy of PDF X-change
>does fine on most forms, though I had persistent trouble with NY
>State tax forms.

Looking more closely at the web, I see that there's a PDF X-Change
Editor, for a fee, and a PDF X-Change Viewer that's free. But the
latter is marked "Discontinued."

I downloaded and installed it anyway and now have the same pdf file
open in both it and Foxit, side by side.

They both look fine to me, although there are a couple of differences
that will make me stay with Foxit:

Foxit has many more options. Although I seldom use any of them, you
never know what needs may come up in the future,

The file takes up the full width of the Foxit window, but in PDF
X-Change Viewer it's smaller, only in the center of the window.

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<MPG.3e54fcbe88238e1399005e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68990&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68990

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 02:05:22 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 10:05 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:57:59 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
> The file takes up the full width of the Foxit window, but in PDF
> X-Change Viewer it's smaller, only in the center of the window.

You can change that. Adjust the zoom percentage, or click the little
toolbar icon with left and right arrows at the page edges. If you
don't see that, Ctrl+2 fits page width to current window.

But if you're happy with Foxit, I'm not going to suggest you change.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Win10 Resetting File Associations

<g59nuhl2a36kmmsffkh8njstf35rr56us1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68995&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#68995

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:13:00 -0700
References: <c07fuh9tvk2h79fvsqpb8l1ieppmhk577t@4ax.com> <ts9p0r$1m9fu$1@dont-email.me> <tsa3l9$1n90o$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3e52c08378010162990057@news.individual.net> <tsbfp6$1rtb0$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3e53ee4e1467ceb299005b@news.individual.net> <jblkuhpvgnkitbdn4qme82ni9qnmems3bi@4ax.com> <MPG.3e54016285aa1d6b99005d@news.individual.net> <vjtkuhtl81gev4h2qfcc9nm4vkeaioe4e6@4ax.com> <MPG.3e54fcbe88238e1399005e@news.individual.net>
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:13 UTC

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 02:05:22 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:57:59 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>> The file takes up the full width of the Foxit window, but in PDF
>> X-Change Viewer it's smaller, only in the center of the window.
>
>You can change that. Adjust the zoom percentage, or click the little
>toolbar icon with left and right arrows at the page edges. If you
>don't see that, Ctrl+2 fits page width to current window.

OK, thanks. As you might guess, I looked at it only briefly and missed
that.

>But if you're happy with Foxit, I'm not going to suggest you change.

Yes, I don't see any reason to change.