Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: z24ba74....@nowhere (3.BB963)
Subject: Followup - EndeavourOS
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:55:30 -0500
 by: 3.BB963 - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:55 UTC

I was impressed at how snappy EndeavourOS (an Arch derivative)
was in a KVM virtual machine. But then I installed it on real
hardware (a sub-notebook). The snappiness went away. The only
good thing was that it didn't make the touchpad over-sensitive.

The "official" repo lacks a lot of what a lot of people would
really really like to have - so you must use the AUR repo
instead. A fair amount of that doesn't seem to be binaries
but code that has to compile - and it doesn't always work
out of the box (or even after shaking the box) and is quite
slow regardless. Had ONE app that either got stuck in a
compilation loop or was trying to compile SO many dependencies
that, after letting it run overnight, it was STILL trying to
get it done. I just don't like the Arch repo/install system.

So .. if you are already an Arch junkie then EndeavourOS
might still be worth your time. It does have a lot of
polish.

BUT, if you want practical and sure ... Debian or one of
its derivatives instead. Just as quick on marginal
hardware and the repos are a LOT easier to deal with
and the software selection better. Best compromise of
size/speed/function still seems to be MX.

Complain if you want - just relaying my experience with
the product. What is, is.