IOT trap -- core dumped

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

SubjectAuthor
* Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveKenW
|`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveJ. P. Gilliver
|+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveZaidy036
||`* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveKen Blake
|| +- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveZaidy036
|| +* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveJ. P. Gilliver
|| |`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveKen Blake
|| `- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
|`* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
| +- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
| `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveJesper Kaas
|  `- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveJ. P. Gilliver
+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
|+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveJ. P. Gilliver
||`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
|`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
+* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
|+- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
|`* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveChar Jackson
| +- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveAl
| `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
|  `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveChar Jackson
|   `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
|    +* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DrivePaul
|    |`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
|    `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveChar Jackson
|     `* Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drivejetjock
|      `- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveChar Jackson
`- Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB DriveFrank Slootweg

Pages:12
Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<b6n3gi1tvuterku8qucb0q46j7rh2513bo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6879&group=alt.windows7.general#6879

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:12:02 -0500
 by: jetjock - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:12 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:14:16 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:41:09 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:28:50 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>Now that you've said what you're trying to accomplish, could you be talked into
>>>doing the same thing but without any sneakernet?
>>>
>>>I have a large video collection on a PC and all of it is available at the
>>>various TV's at any time, all the time, without me having to physically
>>>transport anything. I have a Roku box connected to an HDMI input on each TV, and
>>>the Roku can use wired Ethernet or WiFi to connect to the network that the video
>>>server is on, which is my home LAN. I can browse through the collection on the
>>>TV, view movie trailers, see who the actors are, see all movies with a specific
>>>actor, and so much more. Does that sound interesting? If so, instead of buying
>>>another memory stick, look at the Roku models. I very recently bought a $30 Roku
>>>for my sister and got her on board with the ease and convenience of having the
>>>entire movie collection available to watch at any time. She and her husband
>>>couldn't be happier.
>>
>>I do have a Fire Stick. I'll see if I can get that set up to work.
>>Thanks!
>
>OK, the app that you should be looking for is called Plex. The free version
>works perfectly and is all you need. I know it's compatible with Roku but I'm
>not sure about Fire Stick.

It is compatible with the Fire Stick. I've looked at several YouTube
videos about it, but none show just how to use it to play movies from
my computer to the TV. Not really sure how a Fire Stick plugged into
my TV can access things on my computer. If you feel like taking the
time, a little tutorial would be appreciated, I used to be able to do
this stuff easily, but in the last few months I've noticed that I keep
having more and more trouble doing things that used to come easily. I
guess my 82 years are finally catching up with me!! In any case,
thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<udsqrb$27g6v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6880&group=alt.windows7.general#6880

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:17:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:17 UTC

On 9/13/2023 12:12 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:14:16 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:41:09 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:

>>> I do have a Fire Stick. I'll see if I can get that set up to work.
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> OK, the app that you should be looking for is called Plex. The free version
>> works perfectly and is all you need. I know it's compatible with Roku but I'm
>> not sure about Fire Stick.
>
> It is compatible with the Fire Stick. I've looked at several YouTube
> videos about it, but none show just how to use it to play movies from
> my computer to the TV. Not really sure how a Fire Stick plugged into
> my TV can access things on my computer. If you feel like taking the
> time, a little tutorial would be appreciated, I used to be able to do
> this stuff easily, but in the last few months I've noticed that I keep
> having more and more trouble doing things that used to come easily. I
> guess my 82 years are finally catching up with me!! In any case,
> thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Does your Fire Stick have a model number ?

I don't know the product line, but sometimes when
there are different models, the behaviors or methods
change on them.

On this page, for example, you can see a FireStick PCB.
On the right hand end, are two antenna modules similar
to the type used on a GPS. The chipset on this one, is MediaTek.

https://www.aftvnews.com/new-mediatek-rooting-method-for-fire-hd-8-tablet-may-lead-to-rooting-the-fire-tv-stick-4k-fire-tv-stick-2-and-fire-tv-2/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-2018-circuit-board/

*******

You can see here, there's a server program and a client program.
It is likely the client program, where you would select "FireStick"
for the output. The client program "surfs" the library offered
by the Plex server.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-plex

You could also run that on two machines. If you had a general
purpose machine that perhaps functioned as a junkyard NAS,
you could load the Plex server on there, and it would be running
all the time. The client could display content on the local PC
LCD monitor, or presumably, via Wifi, it could stream to the FireStick.

We have one other USENETter, using different client-server software,
who does it this way. With two PCs. But with no difficulty at all,
you can run both pieces of software on the same PC if you want.

some sorta LAN
+-------------------------+
| |
Plex server PC Plex client RF
(low power, server) on some computer ---------- Firestick --- HDMI --- TV

The Firestick needs to get power. Similar to other devices
of the same class as Firestick. The HDMI connector has some
+5V power on it, but at relatively low current. If a device
like that needs more power, there may be additional connectors
for "vampire sucking" of power from other TV ports or such.
For example, I have an HDMI converter (HDMI to VGA) and
it draws the power for active conversion, from the +5V pin.

Paul

Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<qg74gi9kkiuts63182mkphc3ao27dqrb3b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6881&group=alt.windows7.general#6881

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:40:20 -0500
 by: jetjock - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:40 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:17:29 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>We have one other USENETter, using different client-server software,
>who does it this way. With two PCs. But with no difficulty at all,
>you can run both pieces of software on the same PC if you want.
>
> some sorta LAN
> +-------------------------+
> | |
> Plex server PC Plex client RF
> (low power, server) on some computer ---------- Firestick --- HDMI --- TV
>
>The Firestick needs to get power. Similar to other devices
>of the same class as Firestick. The HDMI connector has some
>+5V power on it, but at relatively low current. If a device
>like that needs more power, there may be additional connectors
>for "vampire sucking" of power from other TV ports or such.
>For example, I have an HDMI converter (HDMI to VGA) and
>it draws the power for active conversion, from the +5V pin.

Thanks, Paul.

Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<dc64gi9b2s5ft2l4o5mlmf6j36aqmulogr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6882&group=alt.windows7.general#6882

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:57:40 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:57 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:12:02 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:14:16 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:41:09 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:

>>>I do have a Fire Stick. I'll see if I can get that set up to work.
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>OK, the app that you should be looking for is called Plex. The free version
>>works perfectly and is all you need. I know it's compatible with Roku but I'm
>>not sure about Fire Stick.
>
>It is compatible with the Fire Stick. I've looked at several YouTube
>videos about it, but none show just how to use it to play movies from
>my computer to the TV. Not really sure how a Fire Stick plugged into
>my TV can access things on my computer.

Like Paul said, Plex uses the standard client-server usage model. The Plex
server will need to be installed on the PC where your movies live, and the
client will be installed on the Fire Stick.

First, you'll need to download and install the Plex server on your 'movies' PC.
Plex will ask you to create a (free) account, and it'll ask you to provide a
working email address at that time. They'll use that address to periodically
tell you about (free) movies that are arriving or leaving the Plex on-demand
system.

Wait, I'm going to stop here and start over.

First, you'll need to install the free Plex app (client) on your Fire Stick.
Make sure it works by browsing through its hundreds of free live TV channels.
Watch a movie or two from their free on-demand library. If that all works well,
you can continue. If not, you'll need a better streaming device.

Obviously, in order for the Plex app to work on your Fire Stick, it'll need
network access to the Internet. If you've already configured the Fire Stick to
be able to access your LAN, and thus the Internet, then you're all set at the
client end of things. There's no separate network configuration within the Plex
client app. It simply uses whatever you've already configured on the Fire Stick.

Next, download and install the Plex server software on your 'movies' PC. Create
your free account. In the Plex server application, click on the wrench icon in
the upper right corner of the screen to open the settings dialog. Go down to
Manage -> Libraries. Add a Library, let's say you call it Movies. Next, you'll
add one or more folders to the Library. These are the folders on your PC where
you've stored your movie files. If you have a top folder and then sub-folders
for organization, just add the top folder. Plex will automatically scan and add
the contents from the sub-folders. I have Libraries called Movies, TV Shows,
Videos, and Concerts, for example, each with their own top folder and multiple
sub-folders. When you're finished creating your Libraries, Plex will scan the
files in those directories and then it will download the cover art, list of
stars, synopsis, subtitles (optional), etc.

Once the server is minimally configured, (there's a ton of things it can do, but
I'm trying to keep this basic), then you should be able to go back to the Plex
client app on the Fire Stick. It should automatically find your movie Library
and the rest is all obvious. Use your Fire Stick remote to move around and
explore the Plex client app. Plex is very Netflix-like in that it will
automatically generate categories such as Latest Releases, Recently Added
(movies that you've most recently added to your Library), and so on.

Once you pick something to watch, you can change the language (if your movie has
additional languages, of course), or you can toggle subtitles (if your movie has
subtitles). If you need subtitles, Plex will show you a list of subtitles from
which you can choose. Once you select a subtitle, Plex will download it and use
it. You can also see a list of the movie's stars. Clicking on one of them will
get you a list of other movies that they're in. Below that, you'll see movie
reviews, and up above you'll the Popcorn and Rotten Tomatoes scores, letting you
know what others thought of the movie.

I haven't even scratched the surface but I think you'll get the hang of it.

>If you feel like taking the
>time, a little tutorial would be appreciated, I used to be able to do
>this stuff easily, but in the last few months I've noticed that I keep
>having more and more trouble doing things that used to come easily. I
>guess my 82 years are finally catching up with me!! In any case,
>thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You used to be a jet jock, for cryin' out loud. :-) If memory serves, you flew
the kind of jets I maintained in the USAF, including F-4E and F-4G.

Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<jcb6gil39s9vhj1fpt2gpcf74kvjri7ogu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6896&group=alt.windows7.general#6896

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:11:49 -0500
 by: jetjock - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:11 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:57:40 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:12:02 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 13:14:16 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>OK, the app that you should be looking for is called Plex. The free version
>>>works perfectly and is all you need. I know it's compatible with Roku but I'm
>>>not sure about Fire Stick.
>>
>>It is compatible with the Fire Stick. I've looked at several YouTube
>>videos about it, but none show just how to use it to play movies from
>>my computer to the TV. Not really sure how a Fire Stick plugged into
>>my TV can access things on my computer.
>
>Like Paul said, Plex uses the standard client-server usage model. The Plex
>server will need to be installed on the PC where your movies live, and the
>client will be installed on the Fire Stick.
>
>First, you'll need to download and install the Plex server on your 'movies' PC.
>Plex will ask you to create a (free) account, and it'll ask you to provide a
>working email address at that time. They'll use that address to periodically
>tell you about (free) movies that are arriving or leaving the Plex on-demand
>system.
>
>Wait, I'm going to stop here and start over.
>
>First, you'll need to install the free Plex app (client) on your Fire Stick.
>Make sure it works by browsing through its hundreds of free live TV channels.
>Watch a movie or two from their free on-demand library. If that all works well,
>you can continue. If not, you'll need a better streaming device.
>
>Obviously, in order for the Plex app to work on your Fire Stick, it'll need
>network access to the Internet. If you've already configured the Fire Stick to
>be able to access your LAN, and thus the Internet, then you're all set at the
>client end of things. There's no separate network configuration within the Plex
>client app. It simply uses whatever you've already configured on the Fire Stick.

Stopped using my Firestick a while ago when I started with YouTube TV.
Been waiting to hear from you before I dug it out and plugged it in
again! I'll dig it out and see if my feeble brain can get it working
again. Really appreciate all the advice. Plex sounds like a great
service.

>Next, download and install the Plex server software on your 'movies' PC. Create
>your free account. In the Plex server application, click on the wrench icon in
>the upper right corner of the screen to open the settings dialog. Go down to
>Manage -> Libraries. Add a Library, let's say you call it Movies. Next, you'll
>add one or more folders to the Library. These are the folders on your PC where
>you've stored your movie files. If you have a top folder and then sub-folders
>for organization, just add the top folder. Plex will automatically scan and add
>the contents from the sub-folders. I have Libraries called Movies, TV Shows,
>Videos, and Concerts, for example, each with their own top folder and multiple
>sub-folders. When you're finished creating your Libraries, Plex will scan the
>files in those directories and then it will download the cover art, list of
>stars, synopsis, subtitles (optional), etc.
>
>Once the server is minimally configured, (there's a ton of things it can do, but
>I'm trying to keep this basic), then you should be able to go back to the Plex
>client app on the Fire Stick. It should automatically find your movie Library
>and the rest is all obvious. Use your Fire Stick remote to move around and
>explore the Plex client app. Plex is very Netflix-like in that it will
>automatically generate categories such as Latest Releases, Recently Added
>(movies that you've most recently added to your Library), and so on.
>
>Once you pick something to watch, you can change the language (if your movie has
>additional languages, of course), or you can toggle subtitles (if your movie has
>subtitles). If you need subtitles, Plex will show you a list of subtitles from
>which you can choose. Once you select a subtitle, Plex will download it and use
>it. You can also see a list of the movie's stars. Clicking on one of them will
>get you a list of other movies that they're in. Below that, you'll see movie
>reviews, and up above you'll the Popcorn and Rotten Tomatoes scores, letting you
>know what others thought of the movie.
>
>I haven't even scratched the surface but I think you'll get the hang of it.
>
>>If you feel like taking the
>>time, a little tutorial would be appreciated, I used to be able to do
>>this stuff easily, but in the last few months I've noticed that I keep
>>having more and more trouble doing things that used to come easily. I
>>guess my 82 years are finally catching up with me!! In any case,
>>thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>
>You used to be a jet jock, for cryin' out loud. :-) If memory serves, you flew
>the kind of jets I maintained in the USAF, including F-4E and F-4G.

Used to is the key here!! :-) Hearing aids and scooters now. Never
made it to the G or E. They came after I got out and started with TWA
(which didn't last long). Only flew the F-4C. Wound up at FedEx in
'74. Flew about everything they had until the Gov't said I was too
stupid to fly anymore when I hit 60. :-) (65 nowadays) Been retired
almost as long as I flew for them. Thanks for all your help, Char!

Re: Ping Paul...New 256GB USB Drive

<2i17gipin52at4ank64ofe78023dcfbv0u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=alt.windows7.general#6911

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:20:58 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:20 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:11:49 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote:

>Stopped using my Firestick a while ago when I started with YouTube TV.
>Been waiting to hear from you before I dug it out and plugged it in
>again! I'll dig it out and see if my feeble brain can get it working
>again. Really appreciate all the advice. Plex sounds like a great
>service.

Good luck with it. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

>>You used to be a jet jock, for cryin' out loud. :-) If memory serves, you flew
>>the kind of jets I maintained in the USAF, including F-4E and F-4G.
>
>Used to is the key here!! :-) Hearing aids and scooters now. Never
>made it to the G or E. They came after I got out and started with TWA
>(which didn't last long). Only flew the F-4C. Wound up at FedEx in
>'74. Flew about everything they had until the Gov't said I was too
>stupid to fly anymore when I hit 60. :-) (65 nowadays) Been retired
>almost as long as I flew for them. Thanks for all your help, Char!

I've only seen F-4C's at static displays and air shows, but that's fine because
they're all antiques and relics by now. Most of the Phantom's that I worked on
were converted to drone duty and were shot down over the Gulf of Mexico.