"Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin." -- Michael O'Donohugh

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

SubjectAuthor
* 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyAnt
+* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyMike S.
|`* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyAnt
| `- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacyrms
+* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacySpalls Hurgenson
|+- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyAnt
|+* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyMike S.
||+- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyJAB
||`- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacySpalls Hurgenson
|`- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyJustisaur
`* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyPW
 `* Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacySpalls Hurgenson
  `- Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue LegacyPW

1
2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<_f6dnad8gu6rgdL_nZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6847&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6847

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:15 UTC

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter
--
4th COVID-19/Moderna (booster #2) still hasn't given the fever (just heat wave from outside). :O Just aches, tiredness, dizziness, etc. :(
| |o o| |

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<t9e05h93580fc41vgk0uh45e36i8ttgt86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6860&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6860

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:32:19 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:32 UTC

On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

The rogue one looks interesting. The other one I already have. Thank
you.

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<etudnZaUBaso9M3_nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6866&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6866

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 11:58:29 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
> >https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

> The rogue one looks interesting. The other one I already have. Thank
> you.

I only claim Rogue Legacy. Other one didn't look interesting since it looks like an adventure game.
--
4th COVID-19/Moderna (booster #2) still hasn't given the fever (just heat wave from outside). :O Just aches, tiredness, dizziness, etc. that come & go. :( WB, MLB.
| |o o| |

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<t2315hdisag8a7ajpbo6bn3267oophp2vv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6869&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6869

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:38:26 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:38 UTC

On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

Eeep! I was pre-empted by Ant I told you guys I needed a reminder, or
I'd forget! ;-)

Neither game, though, are particularly worth rushing out to get. I
have a bit of a soft spot for "Vanishing", but that's largely because
- at least for its time - it was one of the best looking games on the
market. Wandering its virtual forests and hills was a visual delight
(it's been several years since I last played the game, so I don't know
how well it's held up). But its story and gameplay were tolerable at
best (and that's me being kind, /and/ as a fan of 'walking sims').

"Rogue Legacy" is an Indie game, and all that entails. Lackluster
visuals, and interesting hook (a rogue-game where, every time you die
you are reincarnated as the 'next generation' of your family tree with
his/her own unique stats and quirks), and unpolished gameplay. I'm not
generally a fan of Rogue-style games, neither am do I usually enjoy
side-view adventure/platformer titles, or games where the primary goal
is the collection of loot, so this game was never going to be my cup
of tea.

So - even had Ant not picked up the slack when I (inevitably) forgot
to post about the games - I don't think it would have been a big loss
for anyone. Especially since "Vanishing" was already offered as a
freebie on Epic (just last December), and "Rogue Legacy" has been
offered gratis on a number of other services too, so most people
probably already have a copy ;-)

Still, thanks to Ant for the alert... I'd say I'll do my best to not
repeat my failure, but that's not something I can honestly promise. So
tune for Ant to tell us what free games from Epic will be next week
;-)

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<4Z6dnck5gcXYA83_nZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6872&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6872

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:42:45 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:42 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
> >https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

> Eeep! I was pre-empted by Ant I told you guys I needed a reminder, or
> I'd forget! ;-)

Like I said. We're working together. First post, get the fame. ;)

> So - even had Ant not picked up the slack when I (inevitably) forgot
> to post about the games - I don't think it would have been a big loss
> for anyone. Especially since "Vanishing" was already offered as a
> freebie on Epic (just last December), and "Rogue Legacy" has been
> offered gratis on a number of other services too, so most people
> probably already have a copy ;-)

> Still, thanks to Ant for the alert... I'd say I'll do my best to not
> repeat my failure, but that's not something I can honestly promise. So
> tune for Ant to tell us what free games from Epic will be next week
> ;-)

You're welcome. That's OK. It happens to me due to life! :O Who cares
who posts. Just post it to remind us!

--
4th COVID-19/Moderna (booster #2) still hasn't given the fever (just heat wave from outside). :O Just aches, tiredness, dizziness, etc. that come & go. :( WB, MLB.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<t2qdq8$ab8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6873&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6873

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:43:19 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:43 UTC

>I only claim Rogue Legacy. Other one didn't look interesting since it looks
>like an adventure game.

Just firing it up to enjoy the outdoor scenery and forest atmosphere of
the first scenes is worth an install imho :)

rms

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<pip15ht9010gio871bhp5i27gglegt84k0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6874&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6874

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 21:51:51 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 01:51 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:38:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Neither game, though, are particularly worth rushing out to get. I
>have a bit of a soft spot for "Vanishing", but that's largely because
>- at least for its time - it was one of the best looking games on the
>market. Wandering its virtual forests and hills was a visual delight
>(it's been several years since I last played the game, so I don't know
>how well it's held up). But its story and gameplay were tolerable at
>best (and that's me being kind, /and/ as a fan of 'walking sims').

Oh god, a walking sim. Does this game play *anything* like a Sierra or
LucasArts title? Those are the kinds of adventure games I played a lot
of when I was younger and still have a soft spot for.

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<b466f249-6234-4140-8f1e-bc0211f9fd63n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6875&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6875

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 01:57 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 12:38:33 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> "Rogue Legacy" is an Indie game, and all that entails. Lackluster
> visuals, and interesting hook (a rogue-game where, every time you die
> you are reincarnated as the 'next generation' of your family tree with
> his/her own unique stats and quirks), and unpolished gameplay. I'm not
> generally a fan of Rogue-style games, neither am do I usually enjoy
> side-view adventure/platformer titles, or games where the primary goal
> is the collection of loot, so this game was never going to be my cup
> of tea.

It's near the top of my list of Indy rogue-lite games, which I do enjoy
a number of (far more that I don't though.) This is the one that
started my kick of rogue-lite games years ago so it's got a special place
to me.

- Justisaur

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<t2rjq5$irs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6879&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6879

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:31:48 +0100
 by: JAB - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:31 UTC

On 09/04/2022 02:51, Mike S. wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:38:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Neither game, though, are particularly worth rushing out to get. I
>> have a bit of a soft spot for "Vanishing", but that's largely because
>> - at least for its time - it was one of the best looking games on the
>> market. Wandering its virtual forests and hills was a visual delight
>> (it's been several years since I last played the game, so I don't know
>> how well it's held up). But its story and gameplay were tolerable at
>> best (and that's me being kind, /and/ as a fan of 'walking sims').
>
> Oh god, a walking sim. Does this game play *anything* like a Sierra or
> LucasArts title? Those are the kinds of adventure games I played a lot
> of when I was younger and still have a soft spot for.

I'm actually rather fond of walking sims as a change of pace even if the
gameplay elements range from minimal to non-existent. I tend to approach
them more like a type of visual novel than an actual game.

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<gja35hd5g6n9ipaevlogu0l0j0hmk83frl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6881&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6881

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 11:59:07 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 15:59 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 21:51:51 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 15:38:26 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh god, a walking sim. Does this game play *anything* like a Sierra or
>LucasArts title? Those are the kinds of adventure games I played a lot
>of when I was younger and still have a soft spot for.

No, not in the least. The most immediate difference is "Vanishing" is
played from a first-person perspective, as opposed to the traditional
side-view of Sierra's games. This has impact both on how the character
of the protagonist is developed (very little, in Vanishing) and how
you interact with the world (ditto).

In fact, there is very little interaction with the world. As I've
said, it's been a while since I've played, but if I remember
correctly, you are limited to carrying a single object at the time,
which immediately rules out all sorts of inventory puzzles. The few
items that do involve objects tend to be "find spot where item is
needed, wander about until you stumble across item, return to original
location". A lot of the puzzles are just clicking on hotspots (or
walking linearly from one hotspot to the next) until you 'unlock' the
next section of the game. Intellectually challenging this game is
not.*

The real 'gimmick' to this game is its (for the time) gorgeously
rendered landscapes and its somewhat surreal atmosphere, but even as
much as I love that sort of thing (see comments in previous posts
about how I consider the best part of games like FarCry or Skyrim is
wandering about), that's really not enough to carry this title on its
own.

But if you want a character-rich, fun story set in a well-developed
world and/or any sort of challenge, this game is just going to
disappoint you (and probably reinforce every bad stereotype you may
have about walking sims). You'd probably be happier with something
that hews to the more traditional style, such as "Thimbleweed Park".

----------------------------
* Yoda I am becoming

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<geu95hhfj6d7gk3ilm879drm3l5jg8uclq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6896&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6896

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:04:01 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 04:04 UTC

On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

*-

I added the rogue one to my list. Now all I have to do is remember to
download it and then remember to play it1

I have Ethan-Carter ReDux. Not sure if I finished that one. I think
I am getting it confused with something similar with a girl involved.
I know I finished that one and liked it alot.

I rarely finish games.

-pw

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<abjb5h16td1gir67p3bl95f0ojkub60qed@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6910

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 15:11:40 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:11 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:04:01 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

>I have Ethan-Carter ReDux. Not sure if I finished that one. I think
>I am getting it confused with something similar with a girl involved.
>I know I finished that one and liked it alot.

Perhaps "What Remains of Edith Finch"? Aside from the similarity of
titles, it also has a similar surreal/disquieting atmosphere, both
games are set in rural areas, center around an unusual family, and are
both 'walking sims'.

"Edith Finch" was marginally better in gameplay (in as much as it had
some) and arguably had better story and characters, but had
comparatively less immersive visuals and weaker atmosphere. Neither
are games I'd recommend.

>I rarely finish games.

I'm the opposite; I've given up on many games, but I always consider
that a failure - either on my part, or on the developers. I figure, if
they've taken the time to create the darn thing, and I've paid money
for the stupod product, I at least ought to put in the time to get to
the end of the game at least once.

Some games defeat me in achieving this goal, but I do try.

Re: 2 free Epic Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rogue Legacy

<achc5htu18drc3n2ksq492ko672s1m8fvp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6913&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6913

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 21:41:17 -0600
 by: PW - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 03:41 UTC

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 15:11:40 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:04:01 -0600, PW
><iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 12:15:34 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>>
>>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rogue-legacy
>>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter
>
>>I have Ethan-Carter ReDux. Not sure if I finished that one. I think
>>I am getting it confused with something similar with a girl involved.
>>I know I finished that one and liked it alot.
>
>Perhaps "What Remains of Edith Finch"? Aside from the similarity of
>titles, it also has a similar surreal/disquieting atmosphere, both
>games are set in rural areas, center around an unusual family, and are
>both 'walking sims'.

That was it Spalls!

>"Edith Finch" was marginally better in gameplay (in as much as it had
>some) and arguably had better story and characters, but had
>comparatively less immersive visuals and weaker atmosphere. Neither
>are games I'd recommend.
>

>>I rarely finish games.
>
>I'm the opposite; I've given up on many games, but I always consider
>that a failure - either on my part, or on the developers. I figure, if
>they've taken the time to create the darn thing, and I've paid money
>for the stupod product, I at least ought to put in the time to get to
>the end of the game at least once.
>
>Some games defeat me in achieving this goal, but I do try.

*--

Okay! For some reason, some don't keep me interested for so long.

Maybe because I think the grass is always greener on the other side
when something newer and better comes out! Still a kid! :-)

-pw