From: nala...@sccoast.net (Alan D Ray)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: New Freebies Avalable NOW
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:46:23 -0400
 by: Alan D Ray - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:46 UTC

Hi to all.

Epic just released their two new freebies..

Insurmountable

and

X-Com 2

The first is a mountain climbing simulation and
they were selling that for $24.99.

And X-Com 2 is the sequel to X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012).
Aliens rule the Earth and you're the leader of a guerrilla force
trying to ignite a global resistance to eliminate the alien threat
and (what else) save humanity.
Epic was selling this for (gasp) $59.99! The initial release was
February 2016, so they are still selling this for a premium price.

Free until 4/21.

>ALAN

Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW

<njlg5h5l6s5qh68spubnnijedb43nm4lt8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6939&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6939

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:26:00 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:26 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:46:23 -0400, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>
wrote:

>Hi to all.
>Epic just released their two new freebies..

>Insurmountable
>and
>X-Com 2

>The first is a mountain climbing simulation and
>they were selling that for $24.99.

>And X-Com 2 is the sequel to X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012).
>Aliens rule the Earth and you're the leader of a guerrilla force
>trying to ignite a global resistance to eliminate the alien threat
>and (what else) save humanity.
>Epic was selling this for (gasp) $59.99! The initial release was
>February 2016, so they are still selling this for a premium price.

>Free until 4/21.

First Ant, now you! I dunno, I miss one week of posting Epic Games
freebies and then EVERYONE thinks they can get into the act. ;-)

You're gonna make Ant mad if you don't add the hyperlinks to the
games, though (not everyone uses the EGS client, apparently ;-)

X-Com 2
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/xcom-2

Insurmountable
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/insurmountable-b02c31

No comment on Insurmountable - I know nothing about the game - but
I've mixed opinions on "X-Com 2".

XCOM2 is not a bad game, but neither was it one that excited me very
much. On the one hand, I quite liked how the developers were willing
to tinker with the mechanics and move the story forward (something the
originals never really did). On the other hand, it very much felt like
a mission pack and - while some people adored it - I grew very weary
of the franchise's RNG-heavy combat by the end of the first game. My
conclusion was that if you /loved/ XCOM 1 then you'd enjoy its sequel,
but if you merely had fun with it, were on the fence (like me), or
unsure about the genre, the sequel offered nothing attractive.

Still, as a free game it's hard to resist... even if you aren't the
biggest fan, it's worth grabbing just to see if maybe your tastes have
changed. It's a decidedly niche title, but it isn't lacking in
production quality, and - if one day you might want to play a
tactical-combat simulator - you can't go wrong with this one. But if
you don't grab it for free now, you'll have to pay then... and - as
noted - the developers aren't letting the price of this game drop very
quickly ;-)

Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW

<2ing5htv9nd25hohp77dq9ljm4ph2q5gri@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6941&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6941

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:51:26 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:26:00 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:46:23 -0400, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>

>Still, as a free game it's hard to resist... even if you aren't the
>biggest fan, it's worth grabbing just to see if maybe your tastes have
>changed. It's a decidedly niche title, but it isn't lacking in
>production quality, and - if one day you might want to play a
>tactical-combat simulator - you can't go wrong with this one. But if
>you don't grab it for free now, you'll have to pay then... and - as
>noted - the developers aren't letting the price of this game drop very
>quickly ;-)

Yeah, $60 game for free? Yes, please!

Thank you Alan for the reminder and to Spalls for the links to make it
easier. :)

Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW

<3png5h9r73a40h5vq5an37rgco8nag1epc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6942&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6942

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:52:12 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:52 UTC

wrote:

>Hi to all.
>
>Epic just released their two new freebies..
>
>Insurmountable
>
>and
>
>X-Com 2
>
>The first is a mountain climbing simulation and
>they were selling that for $24.99.
>
>And X-Com 2 is the sequel to X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012).
>Aliens rule the Earth and you're the leader of a guerrilla force
>trying to ignite a global resistance to eliminate the alien threat
>and (what else) save humanity.
>Epic was selling this for (gasp) $59.99! The initial release was
>February 2016, so they are still selling this for a premium price.
>
>Free until 4/21.
>
>>ALAN

I have XCom-2 installed but I will check out the other one.

Thanks!

Rats, no decoding necessary :-(

-pw

Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW

<t3bdco$jju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6947&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6947

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:20:23 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:20 UTC

On 14/04/2022 18:51, Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:26:00 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:46:23 -0400, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>
>
>> Still, as a free game it's hard to resist... even if you aren't the
>> biggest fan, it's worth grabbing just to see if maybe your tastes have
>> changed. It's a decidedly niche title, but it isn't lacking in
>> production quality, and - if one day you might want to play a
>> tactical-combat simulator - you can't go wrong with this one. But if
>> you don't grab it for free now, you'll have to pay then... and - as
>> noted - the developers aren't letting the price of this game drop very
>> quickly ;-)
>
> Yeah, $60 game for free? Yes, please!
>
> Thank you Alan for the reminder and to Spalls for the links to make it
> easier. :)

$60? It often comes on sale on Steam and checking it's currently £3.49
so somewhat less than $60!

It's a game I've thought about buying but even at that low price I still
have it in the back of my head that I probably got someone around half
way through XCOM 1 before getting bored. I wasn't a particular fan of
the whole base building part and the combat just felt very repetitive
after a while. Still it is free.

Re: New Freebies Avalable NOW

<nsqi5hh85sh9ijgvbnbijhj3klsp45vlh7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6949&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6949

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:59:50 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:20:23 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>$60? It often comes on sale on Steam and checking it's currently £3.49
>so somewhat less than $60!

Yeah, it is on sale right now on Steam. If I were to buy the X-COM 2
bundle it would still cost me $89 though.