The most important early product on the way to developing a good product is an imperfect version.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: one folder?

SubjectAuthor
* one folder?Dale
+* Re: one folder?knuttle
|`* Re: one folder?Dale
| +* Re: one folder?knuttle
| |`- Re: one folder?Dale
| `- Re: one folder?Stan Brown
+- Re: one folder?Paul
+- Re: one folder?Graham J
`* Re: one folder?VanguardLH
 `* Re: one folder?Dale
  `* Re: one folder?Paul
   `* Re: one folder?Dale
    +- Re: one folder?knuttle
    +* Re: one folder?nospam
    |+- Re: one folder?knuttle
    |`* Re: one folder?Ken Blake
    | `- Re: one folder?Dale
    +- Re: one folder?VanguardLH
    `- Re: one folder?Paul

1
one folder?

<ttbfjm$2avnl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69309&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69309

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: one folder?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 18:01:12 -0500
 by: Dale - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:01 UTC

I'd like one folder that links to many.

Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.

No other software besides Windows.

I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
*.bat file.

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Re: one folder?

<ttbiuu$2bcsb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69311&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69311

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: one folder?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 18:58:22 -0500
 by: knuttle - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:58 UTC

On 2/24/2023 6:01 PM, Dale wrote:

> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>
> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>
> No other software besides Windows.
>
> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
> *.bat file.

When I want one file to appear in multiple folders, I create a master in
one folder and then place a short cut is all of the other folders where
I want it. Then editing one changes them all.

The only way I know of to put individually editable copies in multiple
folders is a bat file.

Re: one folder?

<ttblls$2bn80$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69312&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69312

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 19:44:44 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 00:44 UTC

On 2/24/2023 6:01 PM, Dale wrote:

> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>
> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>
> No other software besides Windows.
>
> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a *.bat file.

We need some examples of the pattern you seek to create.

Here, I have something that is "almost a mirror", but I was lazy and
added a document to D: that I do not intended to copy to C: . So I
cannot use "mirror software" in this case, because toledo.doc would
get erased if I did. My plan here, was to make sure that an item
in important_documents, exists on two different hard drive spindles.
It's on my WD1003 hard drive and on my WD2005 hard drive. If the motor
breaks on the WD1003 hard drive, I still have my vegas.doc file
on the WD2005 hard drive.

C:\ D:\
important_documents\ important_documents\
vegas.doc vegas.doc
toledo.doc

We need you to explain more about your objectives, so we can
give you an answer to the best of our abilities.

Making random copies does not always solve a problem.

*******

We used to have a protocol at work.

A person would wander into my cubicle.

"I have a problem.
I've got this thing I need to do.

I guess I should explain some of the characteristics.
"

After about five minutes, they're just about done, when they say

"OK, I figured it out."

And they would leave my cubicle. No harsh words would be exchanged,
because we knew what the other person was doing. The act of
making a capsule summary of a problem, triggers your brainpan.
The answers come easier, if you spell them out verbally. Now,
sometimes, I may be asked to respond, if the visitor has still
not figured it out. Which is OK. But the whole scenario was
played out many times, and we didn't even have a name for this
practice :-) Weird, I know. I guess it's "playback_brainstorming".

*******

Of course your suggestion of copy a b approach works,
but we have to be careful that when that is done, some
benefit is obtained from the activity. If your storage approach
fits a certain pattern, then there are some automated softwares
so you have less manual work to do. If the two directories will
always be identical, that makes the problem easier.

WD1003 hard drive WD2005 hard drive

C:\ D:\
important_documents\ important_documents\
vegas.doc vegas.doc
toledo.doc toledo.doc

I could run this at the end of the day, with C: being the master copy.

robocopy C:\important_documents\ D:\important_documents\ /mir /z /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_feb24_2023_impdoc.log

You would not put this in Scheduled Tasks, because there might be
days where you know there is something wrong with the left-hand
copy of toledo.doc and copying over, would be a bad thing.

Paul

Re: one folder?

<ttbqm2$2c9oi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69313&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69313

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:10:10 -0500
 by: Dale - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 02:10 UTC

On 2/24/2023 6:58 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 2/24/2023 6:01 PM, Dale wrote:
>>
>> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>>
>> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>>
>> No other software besides Windows.
>>
>> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do
>> a *.bat file.
>>
> When I want one file to appear in multiple folders, I create a master in
> one folder and then place a short cut is all of the other folders where
> I want it.  Then editing one changes them all.
>

> The only way I know of to put individually editable copies in multiple
> folders is a bat file.

I'll search up the code for a batch.

Thank You !

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Re: one folder?

<ttbtqi$2fg93$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69314&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69314

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 22:03:45 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 03:03 UTC

On 2/24/2023 9:10 PM, Dale wrote:
> On 2/24/2023 6:58 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> On 2/24/2023 6:01 PM, Dale wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>>>
>>> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>>>
>>> No other software besides Windows.
>>>
>>> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would
>>> do a *.bat file.
>>>
>> When I want one file to appear in multiple folders, I create a master
>> in one folder and then place a short cut is all of the other folders
>> where I want it.  Then editing one changes them all.
>>

>> The only way I know of to put individually editable copies in multiple
>> folders is a bat file.
>
> I'll search up the code for a batch.
>
> Thank You !

The batch file would probably be a repetition of the following command
copy c:\foldera\filez c:\folderb\filez
copy C:\foldera\FIles g:\folderz\filed

Re: one folder?

<ttbul8$2fjlu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69315&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69315

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 22:18:01 -0500
 by: Dale - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 03:18 UTC

On 2/24/2023 10:03 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 2/24/2023 9:10 PM, Dale wrote:

>>> When I want one file to appear in multiple folders, I create a master
>>> in one folder and then place a short cut is all of the other folders
>>> where I want it.  Then editing one changes them all.
>>>

>>> The only way I know of to put individually editable copies in
>>> multiple folders is a bat file.
>>
>> I'll search up the code for a batch.
>>
>> Thank You !
>>

> The batch file would probably be a repetition of the following command
>
> copy  c:\foldera\filez    c:\folderb\filez
> copy  C:\foldera\FIles    g:\folderz\filed

Thank You !!!!

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Re: one folder?

<ttchlv$2h71k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69317&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69317

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 08:42:22 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 08:42 UTC

Dale wrote:

> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>
> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>
> No other software besides Windows.
>
> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
> *.bat file.

Why?

I suspect you see this as a solution to your real problem. If you tell
us what you're really trying to achieve, there may be a better way ...

--
Graham J

Re: one folder?

<MPG.3e63cac8818dbe1d99007a@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69320&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69320

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 07:36:18 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:36 UTC

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:10:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
> On 2/24/2023 6:58 PM, knuttle wrote:
> > The only way I know of to put individually editable copies in multiple
> > folders is a bat file.

You could also make a series of hard links from all the other
directories where you want the file to seem to be, to the file where
it actually is.

Personally, I would just set up an environment variable containing
the file location. Then anywhere I could just type %MYFILE% (or
whatever name you chose) when opening or saving the file.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: one folder?

<ds7skll1ddx7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69321&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69321

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:32:29 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:32 UTC

Dale <dale@dalekelly.org> wrote:

> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>
> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>
> No other software besides Windows.
>
> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
> *.bat file.

Off the top of my head, you would have the "base" folder where you save
the file. You create other folders that are actually sym links back to
the base folder. You could see your file in the base folder, and in
each of the sym linked "folders". You'd have multiple folders that are
actually sym links back to the base folder. You'd have to create the
sym links yourself. Saving a file won't create them.

https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Re: one folder?

<ttebo1$2naf2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69322&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69322

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:13:37 -0500
 by: Dale - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:13 UTC

On 2/25/2023 1:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Dale <dale@dalekelly.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>>
>> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>>
>> No other software besides Windows.
>>
>> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
>> *.bat file.
>
> Off the top of my head, you would have the "base" folder where you save
> the file. You create other folders that are actually sym links back to
> the base folder. You could see your file in the base folder, and in
> each of the sym linked "folders". You'd have multiple folders that are
> actually sym links back to the base folder. You'd have to create the
> sym links yourself. Saving a file won't create them.
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Thank You !!!!

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Re: one folder?

<tteebl$2njic$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69323&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69323

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:58:14 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:58 UTC

On 2/25/2023 8:13 PM, Dale wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 1:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Dale <dale@dalekelly.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like one folder that links to many.
>>>
>>> Once I edit a file I want to save it to the many places.
>>>
>>> No other software besides Windows.
>>>
>>> I prefer to do this with the GUI but if that isn't possible I would do a
>>> *.bat file.
>>
>> Off the top of my head, you would have the "base" folder where you save
>> the file.  You create other folders that are actually sym links back to
>> the base folder.  You could see your file in the base folder, and in
>> each of the sym linked "folders".  You'd have multiple folders that are
>> actually sym links back to the base folder.  You'd have to create the
>> sym links yourself.  Saving a file won't create them.
>>
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
>
> Thank You !!!!

Are you protecting against accidental erasure ?

Do you want to keep old copies in case you make a mistake ?

Do you want a backup on an external storage device, for safety purposes ?

Tell us a story about your plan and what you hope to achieve ?

There is no point reciting recipes (incantations), unless they have a purpose :-)

Paul

Re: one folder?

<ttego9$2nq3h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69324&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69324

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:39:05 -0500
 by: Dale - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 02:39 UTC

On 2/25/2023 8:58 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 8:13 PM, Dale wrote:

>>> Off the top of my head, you would have the "base" folder where you save
>>> the file.  You create other folders that are actually sym links back to
>>> the base folder.  You could see your file in the base folder, and in
>>> each of the sym linked "folders".  You'd have multiple folders that are
>>> actually sym links back to the base folder.  You'd have to create the
>>> sym links yourself.  Saving a file won't create them.
>>>
>>> https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
>>
>> Thank You !!!!
>>

> Are you protecting against accidental erasure ?
>
> Do you want to keep old copies in case you make a mistake ?
>
> Do you want a backup on an external storage device, for safety purposes ?
>
> Tell us a story about your plan and what you hope to achieve ?
>
> There is no point reciting recipes (incantations), unless they have a
> purpose :-)
>
>    Paul

multiple backups

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Re: one folder?

<ttehsj$2qna9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69325&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69325

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:58:27 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 02:58 UTC

On 2/25/2023 9:39 PM, Dale wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 8:58 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Thank You !!!!
>>>

>> Are you protecting against accidental erasure ?
>>
>> Do you want to keep old copies in case you make a mistake ?
>>
>> Do you want a backup on an external storage device, for safety purposes ?
>>
>> Tell us a story about your plan and what you hope to achieve ?
>>
>> There is no point reciting recipes (incantations), unless they have a
>> purpose :-)
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> multiple backups

If that is the case why can you not use the native windows back up
utility and set it to back up a file to multiple places, other folders,
and external drive, etc

If you don't like that use some thing like Syncback Free and back next
back up profiles for different types of folders and back up devices.

Re: one folder?

<250220232349596177%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69326&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69326

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:49:59 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 04:49 UTC

In article <ttego9$2nq3h$1@dont-email.me>, Dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
wrote:

> multiple backups

copies of a file on the same drive are not backups.

if the drive fails, or the computer lost or stolen, you lose *all*
copies.

Re: one folder?

<gptulfr6zs2h.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69327&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69327

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:24:26 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 06:24 UTC

Dale <dale@dalekelly.org> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Dale wrote:

>>> Thank You !!!!
>>
>> There is no point reciting recipes (incantations), unless they have a
>> purpose :-)
>
> multiple backups

Sym links are not copies of folders or files. They are just links. If
you delete a sym link, the file it points at continues to exist. There
are soft and hard links. Soft links let you have multiple pointers to
the SAME file (or folder), and deleting them doesn't touch the original
file. Hard links will apply an action on the original file that you
commit on the hard link. Delete a hard link and you delete the original
file (and have remnant hard links pointing at a non-existing file until
you also delete those hard links). Sym links in Windows are soft links.

What you first asked for is *not* multiple backups that you now divulge.
You asked how to have ONE file with multiple pointers to it. What you
asked is not what you meant to ask. You should've read the article I
mentioned to notice that it will not do what you want. If you want ONE
file that gets *copied* to multiple locations, you need a backup or sync
program.

Most backup programs only save one copy of the original file. Some let
you save 2 to different locations as a backup of the backup. Sync
programs let you specify multiple locations to keep in sync, so you
could have folder1 synchronized into folder2, and folder1 synchronized
into folder3, and so on. You define multiple sync jobs (and, in
Syncback, you can group the sync jobs together so they run together).
You would then have multiple PHYSICAL copies (backups) of the original
file.

Some sync programs:
Syncback Free (*)
FreeFileSync (**)

(*) I use Syncback, but upgraded to a paid version to allow sync on
locked (inuse) files. The free version does not support VSC (Volume
Shadow Copy), but the paid version does. If you attempt to sync a file
that is locked, the free version will fail, but the paid version will
succeed.
(**) FreeFileSync does support VSC; however, I found its GUI very clumsy
and non-intuitive. I don't know it can group multiple sync jobs under
one group you configure when to run or call via CLI.

You would need to instigate a sync job after you created or modified the
original file. You could start a sync job manually using the GUI, or by
running a batch script that uses the CLI (Command-Line Interface) to the
program to run a sync job. With Syncback, you can schedule when to run
a sync job. I suspect with FreeFileSync you would use Windows' Task
Scheduler to run a scheduled event to run FreeFileSync.

Some backup programs can watch for changes on files, and backup the
changed files. For some, you run the backup at very short intervals,
like every 10 minutes. However, you're only saving 1 (or 2) backups of
the original file. Sync tools let you define multiple sync jobs on the
same file or folder.

So, you WILL need software other than what comes bundled with Windows to
facilitate what you really want. With "only with Windows" as an
overriding criteria, you have you build a kludge, like a batch script
that runs robocopy to perform multiple sync jobs on the same file or
folder with each sync job pointing to a different target location, and
then have to remember to run the batch after creating or modifying the
file, or add the .bat file as a scheduled event in Task Scheduler.

Re: one folder?

<ttf76f$2skjv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69328&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69328

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 04:02:06 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:02 UTC

On 2/25/2023 9:39 PM, Dale wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 8:58 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Thank You !!!!
>>>

>> Are you protecting against accidental erasure ?
>>
>> Do you want to keep old copies in case you make a mistake ?
>>
>> Do you want a backup on an external storage device, for safety purposes ?
>>
>> Tell us a story about your plan and what you hope to achieve ?
>>
>> There is no point reciting recipes (incantations), unless they have a purpose :-)
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> multiple backups

This is a desktop control, for switching ON or OFF USB storage devices.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Individual-Switches-included-HB-UMP3/dp/B00TPMEOYM

You would switch ON just one port, so one USB stick is enabled.
Do your copy.
Do a "Safely Remove" from the menu inside the ^ symbol in the lower right corner.

Then, switch ON the next port, so just one USB stick is enabled.
Make your second copy.
Do a "Safely Remove" (this puts away the file system, before you turn off the power
on the switch that is lit up at the moment)

USB sticks are not ultra-reliable, which is why you have four of them.

The purpose of the bar with the switches, is so you are not always plugging
and unplugging the USB sticks. It may help reduce wear and tear on
the connectors. The box with the blue buttons, stays relatively
near your keyboard, for convenience.

And, when the USB port is powered off, in theory ransomware cannot write
to the USB stick. With all four blue lights OFF, the information is
relatively safe.

The Sabrent device includes its own power adapter. And this means,
if the power adapter produces too much voltage, there is a small
chance it could damage all four USB sticks at once.

You can buy two Sabrent devices, put two of the USB sticks on one Sabrent,
out the other two USB sticks on the separate Sabrent. Two power adapters
get plugged into a power strip. If one power adapter fails, the other
Sabrent and its power adapter are still OK.

This is just to illustrate how you can put together some sort
of external storage story, and have switch selectable (ONE device
at a time) usage pattern.

You could also plug WD Passport 2.5" external hard drives into the
port as well. By only powering one port at a time, the provided adapter
can run a Passport. If you try to run four Passports and turn on ALL
the blue LEDs, there won't be enough power. These can be a tiny bit
more reliable than USB flash drives. Don't forget "Safely Remove" before
turning off the power.

WDBYVG0010BBK-WESN (typically uses 15mm thick rotating hard drive)

WD 1TB My Passport Portable Storage External Hard Drive USB 3.2 for PC/MAC Black
https://www.newegg.ca/model-wdbyvg0010bbk-wesn-1tb/p/N82E16822234390

*******

If you have removed a file in the source directory, it would erase
the backup copy in the destination when using Mirror.

robocopy C:\Important\ D:\Important /mir /r:3 /w:2 /z /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_c_to_d.log

If on the other hand, you want older materials no longer used, to stay on the
destination, you change the /mir to some other option.

https://superuser.com/questions/671244/robocopy-to-copy-only-new-folders-and-files

robocopy C:\Important\ D:\Important /e /xo /r:3 /w:2 /z /np /tee /v /log:robocopy_c_to_d.log

The /xo is supposed to exclude copying older files. Only files
with changes should be copied.

robocopy is a command that comes with Windows. The help is available.

robocopy /?

The Safely Remove option is a GUI thing in the taskbar. But
third party utilities exist so that you can script a Safely Remove.
The only thing you might not be able to script, is turning those
blue buttons on and off from the OS :-) The solution is not perfect,
by any means.

The reason we do not leave all storage devices powered, is as a
partial protection against ransomware. There are also software products
that claim to protect against Ransomware, but their operating mechanism
is unexplained, and I am suspicious of such. Ransomware is more of a problem
if you operate a business on the Internet, and can easily be phished by
external actors on the Internet. One USENET person in another group,
thought he was getting an invoice from GoDaddy for a domain, but in
fact it was ransomware that erased all his computers. Then the red
screen shows, requesting bitcoins etcetera. Which he did not pay.
It took MONTHS to repair the damage, as he had to reinstall OSes and
so on.

Paul

Re: one folder?

<ttfj7j$2tmu4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69331&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69331

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 07:27:31 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:27 UTC

On 2/25/2023 11:49 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <ttego9$2nq3h$1@dont-email.me>, Dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
> wrote:
>

>> multiple backups
>
> copies of a file on the same drive are not backups.
>
> if the drive fails, or the computer lost or stolen, you lose *all*
> copies.
There are two reason for a back up, archival and safety. Archival is
obvious, you back up a file for long term storage, and disaster
recovery. You are right these need to be in a remote location.

Safety is not as obvious. Many people have problems with mouse
droppings. ie you accidentally click the mouse as you move it across
the screen. or you click Save when you actually meant to click some
other button. You click save when you actually meant Save As

Having a safety back up in these cases are necessary, and they don't
need to be store away and off site.

I realize mouse droppings are a problem for us computer matures, and not
for a computer professional. ;-)

Re: one folder?

<eldnvhl38e4f53j7j5jhhojeu3ku2adul1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69332&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69332

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:47:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:47 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:49:59 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <ttego9$2nq3h$1@dont-email.me>, Dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
>wrote:
>

>> multiple backups
>
>copies of a file on the same drive are not backups.

Of course they are. It's a poor way to do backups, but they *are*
backups.

And poor as that kind of backing up is, it's better than no backup at
all.

>if the drive fails, or the computer lost or stolen, you lose *all*
>copies.

Yes, and that's why it's a poor way to do backups.

Re: one folder?

<ttggn3$30vgn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69333&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69333

From: dal...@dalekelly.org (Dale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:50:43 -0500
 by: Dale - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:50 UTC

On 2/26/2023 2:47 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:49:59 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <ttego9$2nq3h$1@dont-email.me>, Dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> multiple backups
>>
>> copies of a file on the same drive are not backups.
>
> Of course they are. It's a poor way to do backups, but they *are*
> backups.
>
> And poor as that kind of backing up is, it's better than no backup at
> all.
>

>> if the drive fails, or the computer lost or stolen, you lose *all*
>> copies.
>

> Yes, and that's why it's a poor way to do backups.

most of the backups I do are on multiple drives

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/