Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Peering problem.

SubjectAuthor
* Peering problem.Miner
+- Re: Peering problem.Russ Allbery
+* Re: Peering problem.Grant Taylor
|+* Re: Peering problem.Miner
||`- Re: Peering problem.Grant Taylor
|+- Re: Peering problem.The Doctor
|`* Re: Peering problem.Miner
| `* Re: Peering problem.Grant Taylor
|  `- Re: Peering problem.Miner
`* Re: Peering problem.Richard Kettlewell
 `- Re: Peering problem.Miner

1
Peering problem.

<t1nfgq$gid$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=686&group=news.software.nntp#686

From: joh...@doe.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Peering problem.
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:37:47 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="16973"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:37 UTC

Hi.

Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no
external IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel
feed. Any idea how to peer under such conditions?
--
Miner

Re: Peering problem.

<875yo0wtmv.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=687&group=news.software.nntp#687

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Peering problem.
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:44:40 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:44 UTC

Miner <john@doe.invalid> writes:

> Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no external IP
> address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel feed. Any idea how
> to peer under such conditions?

UUCP would be my recommendation, if the peer is willing to do it. The
advantage of UUCP is that you can plug in whatever transport mechanism you
can make work to get the batches from one host to another.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Peering problem.

<t1ouom$rm1$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=689&group=news.software.nntp#689

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 00:04:34 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:04 UTC

On 3/26/22 10:37 AM, Miner wrote:
> Hi.

Hi Miner,

> Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no external
> IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel feed. Any
> idea how to peer under such conditions?

As Russ suggested, UUCP would be an option.

Though I'm not sure what the best method would be to get UUCP bag files
attached to email and off to you. I suppose there's some room for
automation to attach the UUCP bag files and send them.

Do you /need/ to use email (SMTP) as the transport? Or can you connect
out from -- I presume -- behind NAT to a server and pull data?

There's also something like a Tor hidden service to allow peers that
support Tor to connect to you. Or other similar VPNs.

I'm curious and like the thought experiment about how to make this work.

I'd be happy to peer with you, be it UUCP bag files, UUCP pull initiated
from your end, or something else yet to be determined. -- Please send
me an email directly so we can discuss details.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Peering problem.

<871qynlrev.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=690&group=news.software.nntp#690

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 09:40:24 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 08:40 UTC

Miner <john@doe.invalid> writes:
> Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no
> external IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel
> feed. Any idea how to peer under such conditions?

Rent a VPS for a few dollars a month and peer from that instead.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Peering problem.

<t1pgv5$kjq$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=691&group=news.software.nntp#691

From: joh...@doe.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:14:46 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="21114"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:14 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 3/26/22 10:37 AM, Miner wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> Hi Miner,
>
> > Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no
> > external IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as
> > channel feed. Any idea how to peer under such conditions?
>
> As Russ suggested, UUCP would be an option.
>
> Though I'm not sure what the best method would be to get UUCP
> bag files attached to email and off to you. I suppose there's
> some room for automation to attach the UUCP bag files and send
> them.
>
> Do you /need/ to use email (SMTP) as the transport? Or can you
> connect out from -- I presume -- behind NAT to a server and
> pull data?

I would like to avoid using email at all for this purpose. Most
email services tend to impose unacceptable conditions and
restrictions. It seems to me that Tox is more preferred as a
channel feed solution than email. Look on FIFO based Tox client
"ratox" https://github.com/pranomostro/ratox

Yes, I can connect to remote server.

> There's also something like a Tor hidden service to allow peers
> that support Tor to connect to you. Or other similar VPNs.

Good solution. Thanks to my friend you may read my message. We
peer over I2P network.

> I'm curious and like the thought experiment about how to make
> this work.
>
> I'd be happy to peer with you, be it UUCP bag files, UUCP pull
> initiated from your end, or something else yet to be
> determined. -- Please send me an email directly so we can
> discuss details.

Ok. Do you have valid GnuPG key? 9864F8EC1A79AAA0 expired since
2018-01-01.

--
Miner

Re: Peering problem.

<t1plbk$7vm$89@gallifrey.nk.ca>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=692&group=news.software.nntp#692

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:29:40 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:29 UTC

In article <t1ouom$rm1$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>,
Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>On 3/26/22 10:37 AM, Miner wrote:
>> Hi.
>
>Hi Miner,
>
>> Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no external
>> IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel feed. Any
>> idea how to peer under such conditions?
>
>As Russ suggested, UUCP would be an option.
>
>Though I'm not sure what the best method would be to get UUCP bag files
>attached to email and off to you. I suppose there's some room for
>automation to attach the UUCP bag files and send them.
>
>Do you /need/ to use email (SMTP) as the transport? Or can you connect
>out from -- I presume -- behind NAT to a server and pull data?
>
>There's also something like a Tor hidden service to allow peers that
>support Tor to connect to you. Or other similar VPNs.
>
>I'm curious and like the thought experiment about how to make this work.
>
>I'd be happy to peer with you, be it UUCP bag files, UUCP pull initiated
>from your end, or something else yet to be determined. -- Please send
>me an email directly so we can discuss details.

UUCP over TCp should also work.

>--
>Grant. . . .
>unix || die

No technology will cancel out wishful thinking. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Peering problem.

<t1s52d$ntj$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=693&group=news.software.nntp#693

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:10:06 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="24499"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:10 UTC

Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> Miner <john@doe.invalid> writes:
> > Remote peer will be unable connect to my peer as I have no
> > external IP address. For some reason I won't use mail as channel
> > feed. Any idea how to peer under such conditions?
>
> Rent a VPS for a few dollars a month and peer from that instead.

Sounds like membership fee.

--
Miner

Re: Peering problem.

<t1t1pq$5ns$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=694&group=news.software.nntp#694

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:20:55 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:20 UTC

On 3/27/22 5:14 AM, Miner wrote:
> I would like to avoid using email at all for this purpose. Most
> email services tend to impose unacceptable conditions and
> restrictions.

I seem to have mis-read your previous post to be that you wanted to use
email as the transport. I now re-read and see that's not the case.

> It seems to me that Tox is more preferred as a channel feed
> solution than email. Look on FIFO based Tox client "ratox"
> https://github.com/pranomostro/ratox

I'm not familiar with (ra)Tox. I'll do some reading.

> Yes, I can connect to remote server.

In that case, I believe my preference would be to use UUCP over SSH.

> Good solution. Thanks to my friend you may read my message. We peer
> over I2P network.

I don't currently support I2P. I've looked at it in the past and am
disinclined to use it.

> Ok. Do you have valid GnuPG key? 9864F8EC1A79AAA0 expired since
> 2018-01-01.

No. I prefer S/MIME over GPG when possible.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Peering problem.

<t241uh$9mb$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=701&group=news.software.nntp#701

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:05:54 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="9931"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:05 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:

> I'd be happy to peer with you, be it UUCP bag files, UUCP pull
> initiated from your end, or something else yet to be
> determined. -- Please send me an email directly so we can
> discuss details.

Tox is a best communication tool.

gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net
host tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net [2600:3c00:e000:1e9::8849]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>:
550 5.7.1 <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>... Fix reverse DNS for IPv6:2a02:180:2:92:3:4:5:6

--
Miner

Re: Peering problem.

<t254gp$dvj$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=702&group=news.software.nntp#702

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:56:23 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 20:56 UTC

On 3/31/22 5:05 AM, Miner wrote:

> gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net
> host tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net [2600:3c00:e000:1e9::8849]
> SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>:
> 550 5.7.1 <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>... Fix reverse DNS for IPv6:2a02:180:2:92:3:4:5:6

The last five words of the message tell you what you need to do.

Fix reverse DNS for IPv6:2a02:180:2:92:3:4:5:6

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Peering problem.

<t2694u$5mg$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=706&group=news.software.nntp#706

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 07:21:04 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="5840"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 07:21 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 3/31/22 5:05 AM, Miner wrote:
> > host tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net
> > [2600:3c00:e000:1e9::8849]
> > SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
>
> The last five words of the message tell you what you need to do.
> Fix reverse DNS for IPv6:2a02:180:2:92:3:4:5:6

I already wrote to admin. No reaction from remote side.

--
Miner