From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Microsoft’s_Phone_Link_app_now_lets_you_use
_iMessage_from_your_PC
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:33:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:33 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

>>No group chats and no pictures?
>>Useless.
>
> Makes no sense considering WhatsApp finally allowed their client on
> Windows with those functions enabled. I guess Apple doesn't want to
> let go of the most important features of Messages lest people deciding
> they don't need an iPhone or iPad anymore.

Hi badgolferman,

I text from my PC all the time so I am glad you brought up this topic.

I had tested (long ago) the Microsoft phone link (they keep changing its
name just like most big companies do with projects that keep failing but
which MARKETING is desperate to promote as a special sticky glue trap).

At the time I had discounted Microsoft's phonelink as crapware that didn't
do anything we didn't already have _without_ the Microsoft login
requirements and requirements to download onto Windows 10 but requiring a
Microsoft Account in order to obtain it (same with Windows 11, in effect).

It needs to be stated that any messaging app that _requires_ not only one,
but _two_ mothership tracking accounts, is a bad design from the start in
my opinion - but let's look at the technical capabilities that you found.
<https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/28/23618224/microsoft-windows-imessage-support-phone-link-ios-iphone>

Your article was interesting in that it quoted Microsoft as saying "I
think" that's how it works, which doesn't engender confidence in the least.

From my reading of just the one article you kindly referenced,
badgolferman, are these the deviations from the norm as you see them?
a. It requires _two_ mothership tracking accounts
b. It works only over bluetooth (not Wi-Fi or USB for example)
c. It only messages iPhone users (not Android users)
d. No pictures (presumably no media other than text)
e. No group chats
f. Apparently the message is truncated when displayed on the PC
g. Apparently the PC won't see anything that it didn't itself send/receive
h. No blue/green bubbles due to inability to distinguish SMS from iMessage
i. Microsoft said its Android implementation is vastly superior
(which is important because I considered it almost complete trash)

Did you glean any other abnormalities from the norm in that article?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to better understand this new Microsoft glue trap.

Re: Microsoft’s Phone Link app now lets you use iMessage from your PC

<ttolbm$2s4g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69406

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.os.windows-10
_iMessage_from_your_PC
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 17:59:13 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:59 UTC

Andy Burnelli used his or her keyboard to write :

> From my reading of just the one article you kindly referenced,
> badgolferman, are these the deviations from the norm as you see them?
> a. It requires _two_ mothership tracking accounts
> b. It works only over bluetooth (not Wi-Fi or USB for example)
> c. It only messages iPhone users (not Android users)
> d. No pictures (presumably no media other than text)
> e. No group chats
> f. Apparently the message is truncated when displayed on the PC
> g. Apparently the PC won't see anything that it didn't itself send/receive
> h. No blue/green bubbles due to inability to distinguish SMS from iMessage
> i. Microsoft said its Android implementation is vastly superior
> (which is important because I considered it almost complete trash)
>
> Did you glean any other abnormalities from the norm in that article?

Might be more detail in M$'s blog which was published recently.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/02/28/previewing-phone-link-for-iphone-users-on-windows-11-with-windows-insiders/

M$ says "you'll be asked to grant a set of permissions that allow us to get
all your favorite content sync'd over" so I'd take a look at that.

This says only some people can get past the walled garden though, as you
have to be on the M$ Beta, Dev, or Release Preview versions of Windows 11.
https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-beta-testing-iphone-phone-link-windows-11/

That says M$ "is controlling the preview via the cloud" and it adds that PC
users "have full access to your iPhone's phone dialer" and in the same
sentence they talk about something called "Intel Union" but don't explain
what it is, only that it has limitations you wouldn't normally expect.

Googling, maybe they meant the "Intel Unison" app which this article says
is similar to M$'s phonelink app (previously named "Your Phone").
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/intels-unison-app-connects-your-iphone-to-any-windows-11-pc-right-now

The Intel Unison app is here but only for "eligible Evo Windows PC's."
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/intel%C2%AE-unison%E2%84%A2/9PP9GZM2GN26