The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

SubjectAuthor
* Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFStan Brown
+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAndy Burnelli
|+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAnt
||`* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFwasbit
|| `* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAndy Burnelli
||  `- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFwasbit
|`- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFStan Brown
+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFVanguardLH
|+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFVanguardLH
||`* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFStan Brown
|| `- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFVanguardLH
|`* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAndy Burns
| `* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFVanguardLH
|  `* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFCarlos E.R.
|   `* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
|    `- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFCarlos E.R.
+- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFBill
+- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFMichael Logies
|`* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFwasbit
| +* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFcroy
| |`- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
| `- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFKen Blake
+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAmmammata
|+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFVanguardLH
||`* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFAmmammata
|| `* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFCarlos E.R.
||  `- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
|`- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
+- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFMr. Man-wai Chang
|`- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFPaul
`- Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDFZaghadka

Pages:12
Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<MPG.3e6844b6a3d89acc990085@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69376&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69376

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:05:30 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 01:05 UTC

When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.

<https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
files are big!

Googling for
"Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
be one I'm familiar with.

So it's back to CutePDF for me.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttmkbg$1e4kn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69378&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69378

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 04:29:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 04:29 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> So it's back to CutePDF for me.

Nothing wrong with CutePDF.
And yes, I saw that you don't want to install a PDF shrinker.

Since I already have the Adobe Acrobat Writer on Windows (because it's one
of the only programs which both edits PDFs and creates a PDF of a web
site), I use the shrinking option which generally cuts a PDF down to about
half the bytes (give or take).

Anyway, as added value, here's a list from this ng from a long time ago.

All checked functionality can be found for free on Windows.
[x] Fast PDF reader: (Sumatra PDF freeware)
[x] Archive sites (wkhtmltopdf freeware, Acrobat payware)
[x] Add or concatonate pages (pdftk freeware, acrobat payware)
[x] Remove pages (pdfsam freeware, pdftk freeware)
[x] Rotate pages (Acrobat Reader freeware)
[x] Renumber pages (Acrobat Reader freeware)
[x] Remove restrictions (Ghostscript/Ghostview freeware)
[x] Merge PDFs (pdfsam freeware, pdftk freeware)
[x] Extract images (PDF Exchange Viewer freeware)
[x] Edit PDF existing text (Acrobat commenting freeware, Acrobat payware)
[x] Print sans username in the properties (Libre Office Writer)
[_] Print book format PDF (FinePrint payware)
[x] Tile PDFs (i.e., to print large posters) (Posterazor freeware)
[x] Create PDF new text (Irfanview or Paint.NET freeware plugins + Ghostscript freeware)

I just realized "shrink pdf file size" isn't on that list.
It needs to be added.

Anyone know of freeware expressly to shrink PDF file sizes?
[_] Shrink PDF file size (Adobe Acrobat Writer payware)

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<qmKdnZi0d770R2P-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69379&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69379

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 04:54:01 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 04:54 UTC

https://reducepdfsize.com/ (old, but works for me)
--
"I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another." --Romans 15:14. Last week's 5" heavy cold rain left a mess like leaks, craziness, etc. More 2 come tho. :( Lots of updated apps.
| |o o| |

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<10zafclu92s83$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69380&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69380

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:29:33 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 05:29 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
> included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
> CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
>
> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.
>
> <https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
> print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
> color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
> files are big!
>
> Googling for
> "Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
> turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
> Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
> be one I'm familiar with.
>
> So it's back to CutePDF for me.

I did a search using Startpage. I printed the web page. Results I got:

- Bullzip PDF Printer (original, color): 970 KB
- Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, color): 75 KB
- Bullzip PDF Printer (original, no color): 542 KB
- Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, no color): 75 KB

- Microsoft to PDF (original, color): 1.77 MB
- Microsoft to PDF (simplified, color): 198 KB
(no choice to remove color; i.e., no black & white mode)

I can't remember ever using Microsoft [print] to PDF other than perhaps
to test it after doing a fresh install of Windows 10, and after all the
tweaks to Windows 10. There was some Microsoft XPS printer that
Microsoft was trying to compete against Adobe's PDF format, but that was
a failure, and I removed that printer. I don't see a reason to keep
Microsoft [print] to PDF, either.

Free 3rd-party solutions are so much better than the uber-basic stuff
Microsoft bundles in Windows.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<10chiv3zmnhay$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69381

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:37:09 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 05:37 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
>> included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
>> CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
>>
>> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
>> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
>> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
>> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
>> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
>> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
>> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.
>>
>> <https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
>> print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
>> color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
>> files are big!
>>
>> Googling for
>> "Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
>> turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
>> Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
>> be one I'm familiar with.
>>
>> So it's back to CutePDF for me.
>
> I did a search using Startpage. I printed the web page. Results I got:
>
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, color): 970 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, color): 75 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, no color): 542 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, no color): 75 KB
>
> - Microsoft to PDF (original, color): 1.77 MB
> - Microsoft to PDF (simplified, color): 198 KB
> (no choice to remove color; i.e., no black & white mode)
>
> I can't remember ever using Microsoft [print] to PDF other than perhaps
> to test it after doing a fresh install of Windows 10, and after all the
> tweaks to Windows 10. There was some Microsoft XPS printer that
> Microsoft was trying to compete against Adobe's PDF format, but that was
> a failure, and I removed that printer. I don't see a reason to keep
> Microsoft [print] to PDF, either.
>
> Free 3rd-party solutions are so much better than the uber-basic stuff
> Microsoft bundles in Windows.

Oh, I didn't test output .pdf file sizes using Save to PDF included in
web browsers (i.e., Firefox, Edge/Chrome, Chrome). I decided to test
just one: Firefox's Save to PDF. That also disables the color mode
option, so I could only test using original or simplified levels of
content. What I got was:

Firefox Save to PDF (original): 256 KB
Firefox Save to PDF (simplified): 90 KB

I didn't bother reviewing the contents of the various PDFs to see what
content was missing (simplified tosses a lot away), or what was
different.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<BKBLL.111205$eRZ7.65847@fx06.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69382&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69382

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 00:52:30 -0500
 by: Bill - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 05:52 UTC

On 2/28/2023 8:05 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

> When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
> included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
> CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
>
> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.
>
> <https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
> print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
> color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
> files are big!
>
> Googling for
> "Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
> turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
> Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
> be one I'm familiar with.
>
> So it's back to CutePDF for me.

I have been happily using PDFCreator for a few decades.
The only tinkering I have done with it: After you install it, each of
your pdf files will show a big icon on the desktop which I find
distracting and ugly--so I reassign a more modest icon for pdf files.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<k68fvoF5ot0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69384&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69384

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:16:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:16 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> I did a search using Startpage. I printed the web page. Results I got:
>
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, color): 970 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, color): 75 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, no color): 542 KB
> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, no color): 75 KB
>
> - Microsoft to PDF (original, color): 1.77 MB
> - Microsoft to PDF (simplified, color): 198 KB

For web pages, most browsers now have built-in save/print to PDF too.

I like bullzip, the reason I started using it many years ago, was for
the ability to merge a 'watermark' PDF with the output, the equivalent
of pre-printed letterhead or invoice stationery ... not needed nowadays
as accounts packages can directly email PDF versions.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<1wfhs9pbcy1v4$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69385&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69385

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 02:45:07 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:45 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I did a search using Startpage. I printed the web page. Results I got:
>>
>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, color): 970 KB
>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, color): 75 KB
>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, no color): 542 KB
>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, no color): 75 KB
>>
>> - Microsoft to PDF (original, color): 1.77 MB
>> - Microsoft to PDF (simplified, color): 198 KB
>
> For web pages, most browsers now have built-in save/print to PDF too.
>
> I like bullzip, the reason I started using it many years ago, was for
> the ability to merge a 'watermark' PDF with the output, the
> equivalent of pre-printed letterhead or invoice stationery ... not
> needed nowadays as accounts packages can directly email PDF versions.

I mentioned (in a reply to myself) the Save to PDF in web browsers about
2-1/2 hours before your reply. I only tested Firefox. I omitted
testing Edge/Chrome and Chrome. In Firefox, color mode for output was
disabled (as it is for the Microsoft to PDF printer).

It is not just the output file size that matters. Some PDF printer
output is less sharp. They've not used more gray scale to make
characters sharper, and they compressed more which degrades quality.
So, getting a smaller output .pdf file could likely mean less quality in
the output. I didn't bother to measure or review quality of output. My
eyes are too old, and my opinion on quality likely skewed.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttn7js$3tucn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69386&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69386

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:58:19 +0000
 by: wasbit - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:58 UTC

On 01/03/2023 04:54, Ant wrote:
> Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>> I just realized "shrink pdf file size" isn't on that list.
>> It needs to be added.
>
>> Anyone know of freeware expressly to shrink PDF file sizes?
>> [_] Shrink PDF file size (Adobe Acrobat Writer payware)
>
> https://reducepdfsize.com/ (old, but works for me)

Thanks.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttncqi$3uf20$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69387&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69387

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 06:27:14 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 11:27 UTC

On 2/28/2023 8:05 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

> When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
> included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
> CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
>
> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.
>
> <https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
> print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
> color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
> files are big!
>
> Googling for
> "Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
> turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
> Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
> be one I'm familiar with.
>
> So it's back to CutePDF for me.

One of the reasons to create "new and shiny software",
is to put fresh brokenness in it.

What I'm seeing here, in the giant files, is

1) Microsoft printing has switched to Type42 fonts.
These involve huge wodges of ascii-hex.

2) Microsoft handled native fonts are relabeled "CID"
so humans cannot trace them. These are glyph fonts
and don't need quite the same wodges.

3) Ghostscript,ps,pdf is probably being handed Type42
by the OS print engine, but it seems to be able to look
inside, and re-encode things a bit.

8 0 obj
<</Type/Font/Subtype/CIDFontType2/CIDSystemInfo<</Registry(Adobe)/
Ordering(Identity)/Supplement 0>>/BaseFont/TimesNewRomanPSMT/FontDescriptor
6 0 R/DW 1000/W 7 0 R>>
endobj

And shockingly, some pages (off a web site and via Firefox browser),
the entire page is rendered as a JPEG file 2500x3300, which is not 600 DPI.
The print surface is set to 600 DPI, but the JPEG can be whatever
resolution they feel like. I don't know what tells the print path to do that.
The fonts rendered inside the JPEG, naturally have jaggies and don't use glyphs.

So, CutePDF or third-party-of-the-day. Yeah, they'll probably beat Microsoft
at this task.

I use MUPDF and mutool for analysis. I can convert binary PDF to ASCII PDF
(sorta), and the tool also supports extraction of objects. The object example
above is object number eight out of a document. And we can read it, because
it is the ASCII format of PDF.

*******

I have been playing around with a project involving "the handling of a 15GB
mailbox versus thunderbird". Since that was already running, I did some test
prints.

The email itself is 2KB. The email is ASCII, no MIME or HTML.

The most efficient print I can get as a PDF is 54KB. A person
hand-crafting PDF, could probably do it in about 3KB.

The Microsoft wodge special is 500KB or so. For a one page text email.

This is the email I'm trying to print. Imagine wasting 500K for this.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/1zd0wnhw/my-email-project.gif

Paul

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<2lguvhpbsa3tp99jaai4kptrd0arfrjr27@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69388&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69388

From: log...@t-online.de (Michael Logies)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 13:18:58 +0100
 by: Michael Logies - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 12:18 UTC

Very popular in germany:
https://www.pdf24.org/

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttnl0s$1flrm$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69389&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69389

From: ammamm...@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 14:47:07 +0100
 by: Ammammata - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 13:47 UTC

Stan Brown used his keyboard to write :
> A four-page all-text Web page is several MB, for instance.

false (?)

just used a 10-pages text file, printing from notepad++, the PDF is 109
kb

Microsoft Print to PDF has standard settings, I never changed any of
them

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<1udptt8ws8ge6$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69390&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69390

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:47:24 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 14:47 UTC

Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it> wrote:

> Stan Brown used his keyboard to write :
>
>> A four-page all-text Web page is several MB, for instance.
>
> false (?)
>
> just used a 10-pages text file, printing from notepad++, the PDF is 109
> kb
>
> Microsoft Print to PDF has standard settings, I never changed any of
> them

But a "web page", while all HTML is all text, is not a per se text file.
There could be hundreds of referenced resources, all the HTML tags
around the text, lots of comments, formatting, CSS for styling, and so
on. I don't recall ever seeing an HTML file that was bare of coding to
only have text content. If all the HTML code was stripped, yes, then
you have a plain text file. Also, when printing, content in frames may
get included along with graphics that won't be in a TXT file. You might
see a horizontal bar thinking it is a series of underscore characters,
but it is really a <HR> tag, or worse an image of a horizontal bar.

Stan said "4-page all-text web page" ignores there are no "pages" in web
docs. They span however long is their content, so they're just 1 page.
Pagination of output is decided during the printing process based on
paper size. It might've been an all-text file, like he opened a local
..txt file. It might've had lots of HTML code that presents just text
elements in the rendered version.

The simplified view when selecting printing parameters strips out a lot
of content, but Stan didn't say he selected original or simplified view.
In the Print dialog, there is often (but not always) a preview pane.
When you toggle between original and simplified views, you can see how
much content gets stripped in simplified view. For example, in a web
browser, do a search on anything at your favorite online search engine.
Use the Print dialog, and switch between original and simplified.

Assuming Stan loaded a local file, and not via HTTP from a web site, so
it really was an all-text file, but with no file or on-disk sizes
mentioned, Using a local 20 KB on-disk sized .txt file loaded into
Firefox, I got the following output on-disk .pdf file sizes:

Firefox "Save to PDF" (no color choice, original, A4): 72 KB ( 3.6X)
Firefox "Save to PDF" (no color choice, simplified, A4): 72 KB ( 3.6X)
Bullzip PDF printer (black & white, original, A4): 84 KB ( 4.2X)
Bullzip PDF printer (black & white, simplified, A4): 84 KB ( 4.2X)
MS Print to PDF (no color choice, original, A4): 207 KB (10.3X)
MS Print to PDF (no color choice, simplified, A4): 196 KB ( 9.8X)

Each .pdf output file was larger than the original .txt file size.
Number of pages is irrelevant since that depends on how you view a text
file, and how it is configured for page size. While Firefox's pdf.js
and Bullzip mushroomed the .pdf to 3.6 and 4.2 times the size of the
original .txt file, Microsoft's Print to PDF was the worst offender at
10 times the size of the original .txt file.

Note: I had to reinstall the MS Print to PDF "printer" for this test. I
had previously gotten rid of the MS XPS printer that was a failed
upstart attempt by Microsoft to compete with Adobe's PDF format. I
forgot to also delete Microsoft's Print to PDF "printer". I deleted it
as this thread was a reminder, but reinstalled it to see by just how
much Microsoft's solution bloated the size of the output .pdf file.
It's pretty bad. Uninstalled it again.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttnsou$1fq7p$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69391

From: ammamm...@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 16:59:25 +0100
 by: Ammammata - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 15:59 UTC

on 01/03/2023, VanguardLH supposed :
> But a "web page", while all HTML is all text, is not a per se text file.

yes, I missed 'web', so I tried again using https://www.rsssf.org/ home
page
it's about 30kb text, plus 2 images
final PDF is 709 Kb

then I tried another one, text only:
https://www.rsssf.org/tablest/tsjsl2hist.html
it's about 70kb text, the PDF is 440kb

same page using firefox "save to pdf" id 202kb

bullzip creates a 212kb PDF

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<MPG.3e691ef3bac7beb5990087@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69392&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69392

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:36:40 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:36 UTC

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 04:29:47 +0000, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> [x] Add or concatonate pages (pdftk freeware, acrobat payware)

Mutools creates a new PDF composed of any selected pages from one or
more existing PDFs. There are both an open source version and a
commercial version; however, there are precompiled Windows binaries
of the open-source version.

<https://mupdf.com/docs/manual-mutool-merge.html>

I've been using it to split or merge PDFs for about 4 years now, and
it's been trouble free. (You do have to be willing to use the Windows
command line.)

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<MPG.3e691fe81e61f73d990088@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69393&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69393

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:40:41 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:40 UTC

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:37:09 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:
> Firefox's Save to PDF. That also disables the color mode
> option,

By "disables the option" do you mean "forces color mode," like
Microsoft Print to PDF?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<tto9gm$1jluj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69394&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69394

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 19:37:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 19:37 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> On 01/03/2023 04:54, Ant wrote:
>> Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>>> I just realized "shrink pdf file size" isn't on that list.
>>> It needs to be added.
>>
>>> Anyone know of freeware expressly to shrink PDF file sizes?
>>> [_] Shrink PDF file size (Adobe Acrobat Writer payware)
>>
>> https://reducepdfsize.com/ (old, but works for me)
>>

> Thanks.

So that everyone benefits from every bit of new information, we should
probably be cc'ing the comp.text.pdf folks, as they know a lot of this.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.text.pdf>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>

I just searched the pdf group open archives (and that of the Windows ng).
*Desktop freeware to SHRINK (aka optimize) PDFs*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.text.pdf/c/hhcIUdnNgyU/>

Which also came up with this suggestion way back in
*PDF Shrinker*, by John McWilliams
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/9dPChJVDakk/gnjZ1hWTAwAJ>

Along with a whole bunch of shrinkers, too many for me to test such as
*Compress PDF Files With NXPowerLite*
<https://www.neuxpower.com/compress-pdf/>

*PDF Toolkit - PDF Optimizer - PDF downsampler*
<https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/pdf-toolkit-pdf-optimizer/>

*FileOptimizer*
<https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/static.php?page=FileOptimizer>
... and so on ...

There were even command line settings for venerable programs such as
convert -density 200x200 -quality 60 -compress jpeg -resize 50% big.pdf small.pdf
<http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php#compress>
gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=small.pdf big.pdf

Seems like we need a _new_ listing to be compiled where every time I touch
this freeware pdf modification subject, it mushrooms out of control for me.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to search for existing articles on pdf shrinkers.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttoehb$2481$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69399&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69399

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:02:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:02 UTC

On 3/1/2023 8:47 AM, Ammammata wrote:
> Stan Brown used his keyboard to write :
>> A four-page all-text Web page is several MB, for instance.
>
> false (?)
>
> just used a 10-pages text file, printing from notepad++, the PDF is 109 kb
>
> Microsoft Print to PDF has standard settings, I never changed any of them

But what is wrong with that, is it should be smaller still!!!

That's still bloated and silly, for plain text.

To get to 109KB, most of that is the Type42 font they put in there.
It is not your text.

************* sample text to print, save as ANSI, 1,340 bytes **************
Video provides a powerful way to help you prove your point. When you click
Online Video, you can paste in the embed code for the video you want to add.
You can also type a keyword to search online for the video that best fits
your document.

To make your document look professionally produced, Word provides header,
footer, cover page, and text box designs that complement each other. For
example, you can add a matching cover page, header, and sidebar. Click
Insert and then choose the elements you want from the different galleries.

Themes and styles also help keep your document coordinated. When you click
Design and choose a new Theme, the pictures, charts, and SmartArt graphics
change to match your new theme. When you apply styles, your headings change
to match the new theme.

Save time in Word with new buttons that show up where you need them. To
change the way a picture fits in your document, click it and a button for
layout options appears next to it. When you work on a table, click where
you want to add a row or a column, and then click the plus sign.

Reading is easier, too, in the new Reading view. You can collapse parts of
the document and focus on the text you want. If you need to stop reading
before you reach the end, Word remembers where you left off - even on
another device.

************* sample text to print, save as ANSI, 1,340 bytes **************

To get it to look just right, means spelling out what I want. The
defaults use about twice the space of this example.

From bash shell

a2ps -R -B -f 12 --columns 1 -s 1 -a 1 --media Letter sampletext.txt -o- | ps2pdf13 - out.pdf

6,100 bytes Mar 1 09:30 out.pdf

About two-thirds of the file is the Courier font.

*******

Let us take an even smaller source, a hand-crafted PostScript file. 94 bytes.

%!PS
/Times-Bold findfont 36 scalefont setfont
72 684 moveto (Hello World!) show
showpage

The PDF for that is 1,287 bytes.

ps2pdf13 hello.ps hello.pdf <=== then check the byte count.

mutool convert -F pdf -O decompress,clean -o hello2.pdf hello.pdf <=== structure analysis

Times-Bold is a standard font. And may have not needed to
be embedded or something. If I re-encode the file (mutool),
the tool uses a Nimbus font, which is 60KB in size. And
the economy is lost.

To work out the cost to display more lines of text, using
the Times Bold thing, H e l l o W o r l d ! , the mutool output
is OK for that. Since this is the "ASCII PDF" representation,
the 0029 is two bytes of binary in the real file, so double
the bytes of the input text (assuming the input text was
not done in wide characters, as then there would be a one
to one correspondence). The coordinates are likely to be
the cell numbers in the font, holding the characters.

/F0 36 Tf
1 0 0 1 72 684 Tm
[<00290046004D004D00500001003800500053004D00450002>] TJ
ET

With hand coding, ten pages of text could use considerably
less than 100KB. In past times, the output wouldn't be quite
as bloated as what is produced today.

Paul

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttoudo$3mu3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69407&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69407

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 18:33:42 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 01:33 UTC

Stan Brown wrote on 2/28/2023 6:05 PM:

> When I got my Windows 10 computer late in 2021, I saw that Windows
> included Microsoft Print to PDF, so I didn't bother installing
> CutePDF, which I use on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
>
> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.
>
> <https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/dont-use-the-microsoft-
> print-to-pdf-printer.86229/> says DPI can't be changed, and that
> color/B&W is set to color, which also can't be changed. No wonder the
> files are big!
>
> Googling for
> "Microsoft print to PDF" change dpi
> turned up a bunch of software programs, but nothing native to
> Windows. If I'm going to install something third party it may as well
> be one I'm familiar with.
>
> So it's back to CutePDF for me.

I seldom have a need for MSFT Print to PDF but have used it. Probably
never concerned about the file size.

Testing today on Win 10/Win11 Pro
- 4 page HTML and Text blog article printed in Edge or Chrome with MSFT
Print to PDF was under 2 MB
- coping the same article in Edge or Chrome and pasting retaining
formatting in Office 365's Word, then printing in Word to PDF was under 1
MB.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttpr7b$933m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69408&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69408

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:45:13 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:45 UTC

On 01/03/2023 12:18, Michael Logies wrote:
> Very popular in germany:
> https://www.pdf24.org/

Nice programme. I've used it for several years instead of PDF-Exchange &
PDF Creator because it does so much in one small programme.
Both PDF24 & PDF Creator have compression options

- https://www.pdf24.org/
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<moh10i115657hr7kpbc6hrnbcbf23rqgus@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69409

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 07:57:01 -0800
 by: croy - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:57 UTC

On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:45:13 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Nice programme. I've used it for several years instead of PDF-Exchange &
>PDF Creator because it does so much in one small programme.

One small programme... only 288 MB.

--
croy

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<ttqi4o$b85q$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69410&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69410

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 00:16:22 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 16:16 UTC

On 3/1/2023 9:05 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

> But since then, I've noticed that Microsoft print to PDF creates
> ridiculously large files. A four-page all-text Web page is several
> MB, for instance. I delved into the settings, and there's a setting
> for print-to-file quality. Hooray, thought I, I'll just set it to
> lower quality, which will still be fine for all my files that are
> read on screen. But the print quality setting has only one choice:
> 600 DPI! That seems particularly inane.

Because it printed to an image, which was then converted back into PDF?

I think the quality setting mattered. Not sure whether CutePDF actually
convert text in the input document to actually text fonts in a PDF.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<kkn10i9g1ura73kad3cnth9r7jgr9c7i8l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69413&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69413

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:38:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:38 UTC

On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:45:13 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 01/03/2023 12:18, Michael Logies wrote:
>> Very popular in germany:
>> https://www.pdf24.org/
>>

>Nice programme. I've used it for several years instead of PDF-Exchange &
>PDF Creator because it does so much in one small programme.
>Both PDF24 & PDF Creator have compression options
>
> - https://www.pdf24.org/
> - https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

I had never heard of it before, but I just downloaded it and will try
it for a while. So far it looks very good. It does a lot of things, so
it may be a better choice than Foxit, which I've been using..

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<25a7djxd13.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69415&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69415

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 20:31:14 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 19:31 UTC

On 2023-03-01 09:45, VanguardLH wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I did a search using Startpage. I printed the web page. Results I got:
>>>
>>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, color): 970 KB
>>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, color): 75 KB
>>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (original, no color): 542 KB
>>> - Bullzip PDF Printer (simplified, no color): 75 KB
>>>
>>> - Microsoft to PDF (original, color): 1.77 MB
>>> - Microsoft to PDF (simplified, color): 198 KB
>>
>> For web pages, most browsers now have built-in save/print to PDF too.
>>
>> I like bullzip, the reason I started using it many years ago, was for
>> the ability to merge a 'watermark' PDF with the output, the
>> equivalent of pre-printed letterhead or invoice stationery ... not
>> needed nowadays as accounts packages can directly email PDF versions.
>
> I mentioned (in a reply to myself) the Save to PDF in web browsers about
> 2-1/2 hours before your reply. I only tested Firefox. I omitted
> testing Edge/Chrome and Chrome. In Firefox, color mode for output was
> disabled (as it is for the Microsoft to PDF printer).
>
> It is not just the output file size that matters. Some PDF printer
> output is less sharp. They've not used more gray scale to make
> characters sharper, and they compressed more which degrades quality.
> So, getting a smaller output .pdf file could likely mean less quality in
> the output. I didn't bother to measure or review quality of output. My
> eyes are too old, and my opinion on quality likely skewed.

PDF output can be a rendered photo, or not. And photos are generated
thinking of the "printer" resolution. This effects file size.

You can render a page of text as text with format, or as a photo. That
affects size.

Fonts can be embedded, or not.

Things like "the background is yellow" are small, but if rendered as
photo are huge.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Warning about Microsoft Print to PDF

<47b7djx9g5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69416&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69416

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 20:49:24 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 19:49 UTC

On 2023-03-01 16:59, Ammammata wrote:
> on 01/03/2023, VanguardLH supposed :
>> But a "web page", while all HTML is all text, is not a per se text file.
>
> yes, I missed 'web', so I tried again using https://www.rsssf.org/ home page
> it's about 30kb text, plus 2 images
> final PDF is 709 Kb
>
> then I tried another one, text only:
> https://www.rsssf.org/tablest/tsjsl2hist.html
> it's about 70kb text, the PDF is 440kb
>
> same page using firefox "save to pdf" id 202kb

in my Linux, that page in FF, print to pdf, takes 92K.

cer@Telcontar:~> pdfinfo Czechoslovakia\ -\ List\ of\ Second\ Level\
League\ Tables\ 1970-1993.pdf
Creator: Mozilla Firefox
Producer: cairo 1.17.4 (https://cairographics.org)
CreationDate: Thu Mar 2 20:36:05 2023 CET
Custom Metadata: no
Metadata Stream: no
Tagged: no
UserProperties: no
Suspects: no
Form: none
JavaScript: no
Pages: 34
Encrypted: no
Page size: 842 x 596 pts (A4)
Page rot: 0
File size: 93402 bytes
Optimized: no
PDF version: 1.5
cer@Telcontar:~>
> cer@Telcontar:~> pdffonts Czechoslovakia\ -\ List\ of\ Second\ Level\ League\ Tables\ 1970-1993.pdf
> name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
> EKUGVP+CairoFont-0-0 Type 1C WinAnsi yes yes yes 10 0
> XKTWLQ+CairoFont-1-0 Type 1C WinAnsi yes yes yes 11 0
> VBPJMM+CairoFont-2-0 Type 1C WinAnsi yes yes yes 12 0
> KPTDZI+CairoFont-3-0 Type 1C WinAnsi yes yes yes 13 0
> LMXPCR+CairoFont-4-0 Type 1C WinAnsi yes yes yes 219 0
> cer@Telcontar:~>

However, the first link takes 2.3 MB.

cer@Telcontar:~> pdfinfo The\ Introduction\ Page\ of\ the\ RSSSF\ --\
The\ Rec.Sport.Soccer\ Statistics\ Foundation..pdf
Creator: Mozilla Firefox
Producer: cairo 1.17.4 (https://cairographics.org)
CreationDate: Thu Mar 2 20:39:18 2023 CET
Custom Metadata: no
Metadata Stream: no
Tagged: no
UserProperties: no