From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Save As - Icons vs Details
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 08:22:37 -0800
 by: croy - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 16:22 UTC

New to Windows 10.

I've managed to get Windows Explorer to always show details instead of icons to represent
files, but whenever I'm working in an application, and go to Save As, huge icons appear, where
I would prefer details.

This didn't happen in my old Windows 7 setup, but the devil only knows how many tweaks I made
over the years.

Is it possible in Windows 10 pro to get the Save As dialog to default to details?

--
croy

Re: Save As - Icons vs Details

<ttr6r8$22ocd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69420&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69420

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Save As - Icons vs Details
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:09:26 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:09 UTC

"croy" <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote

| I've managed to get Windows Explorer to always show details instead of
icons to represent
| files, but whenever I'm working in an application, and go to Save As, huge
icons appear, where
| I would prefer details.
| | This didn't happen in my old Windows 7 setup, but the devil only knows how
many tweaks I made
| over the years.
| | Is it possible in Windows 10 pro to get the Save As dialog to default to
details?

The method software uses is called GetSaveFileName.
As far as I know, there's no option for 3rd-party software
to control file browsing display style with that call, but
that option is included in the dialogue window. It's an interesting
question. I always display icons in Explorer, but FileOpen
and SaveAs always show me list style, which makes sense to
me because it's a small window.