From: all...@spam.com (allen)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:50:15 -0800
 by: allen - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:50 UTC

I have my startup pages set to open to a new tab in addition to cleaning
out the local stored data and history kind of stuff but what I'd like to
know is how can I tell if any of them are going to the Internet to do it?

Startup pages are

chrome://blank
chrome://newtab
chrome://settings/siteData
chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

Is there a chromium newsgroup to ask?

Re: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

<tts408$ioui$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69430

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus
chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 01:27:20 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 06:27 UTC

On 3/2/2023 12:50 PM, allen wrote:
> I have my startup pages set to open to a new tab in addition to cleaning
> out the local stored data and history kind of stuff but what I'd like to
> know is how can I tell if any of them are going to the Internet to do it?
>
> Startup pages are
>
> chrome://blank
> chrome://newtab
> chrome://settings/siteData
> chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
>
> Is there a chromium newsgroup to ask?

Why would chrome://blank go to the Internet ?

The purpose of having a "blank" in the first place, was
to have a page which was not distracting. It was never
intended as some kind of fancy "network stealth" thing.

Why not get a copy of TCPView from Sysinternals and have a look ?

Alternately, Process Monitor from Sysinternals now support
network tracing. A trace will "capture everything", then,
you design filters to extract the nuanced details.

This shouldn't be a hard problem to analyze.

Using Wireshark would tell you "something" was going on,
but you may need better tracing tools to get the details
nailed down.

I don't really use Chrome here, so you can test for us.

Paul

Re: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

<tttie0$2f60l$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69436&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69436

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:39:56 -0200
 by: dan - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 19:39 UTC

On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:50:15 -0800, allen wrote:

> chrome://blank
> chrome://newtab
> chrome://settings/siteData
> chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

I tried these with my Epic Chromium variant & they're all different.

blank brings up an ERR_INVALID_URL "This site can't be reached"
but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar
(but it's not a keyword since blanx & bxxxx do the same)

newtab brings up a web page with tracker counts and pre-determined sites
but it leaves the address bar empty so you can easily re-use it

siteData brings up a web page with all cookies and site data
but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar

clearBrowserData brings up a detailed dialog of what you want to clear
but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar

I tried by experimenting with the URI to bring up a blank tab without
anything in the address bar and I couldn't find the magic keyword to use.

I don't know if what you probably want with blank exists if what you want
is to bring up a blank tab with nothing in the address bar to wipe out.

Re: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

<ttu5ek$p834$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69439&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69439

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:04:19 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 01:04 UTC

On 3/3/2023 2:39 PM, dan wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 09:50:15 -0800, allen wrote:
>

>> chrome://blank
>> chrome://newtab
>> chrome://settings/siteData
>> chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
>
> I tried these with my Epic Chromium variant & they're all different.
>
> blank brings up an ERR_INVALID_URL "This site can't be reached"
> but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
> so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar
> (but it's not a keyword since blanx & bxxxx do the same)
>
> newtab brings up a web page with tracker counts and pre-determined sites
> but it leaves the address bar empty so you can easily re-use it
>
> siteData brings up a web page with all cookies and site data
> but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
> so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar
>
> clearBrowserData brings up a detailed dialog of what you want to clear
> but it keeps the URI in the address bar which makes it
> so you have to delete it in order to re-use the bar
>
> I tried by experimenting with the URI to bring up a blank tab without
> anything in the address bar and I couldn't find the magic keyword to use.
>
> I don't know if what you probably want with blank exists if what you want
> is to bring up a blank tab with nothing in the address bar to wipe out.

They're claiming here, that about:blank works on all the browsers.

https://www.minitool.com/news/about-blank.html

I'm not sure about: is recognized on all browsers, which is why they
have their own private URIs.

Paul

Re: chrome://blank versus chrome://newtab versus chrome://settings/siteData versus chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

<ttvv16$2rl1h$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69464&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69464

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 15:27:15 -0200
 by: dan - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:27 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:04:19 -0500, Paul wrote:

> They're claiming here, that about:blank works on all the browsers.
>
> https://www.minitool.com/news/about-blank.html
>
> I'm not sure about: is recognized on all browsers, which is why they
> have their own private URIs.

I tried "about:blank" and "about:paul" as a startup page and it worked in
both cases except "about:blank" brought up a blank page but "about:paul"
tried to go to "chrome://paul/" so you're right that the "about:blank" is
being interpreted somehow as a blank tab keyword.

But the "about:blank" is definitely the closest thing to what the op asked
for because it opens a blank page (but you have to manually clear the
address bar before you can use it).

None of the methods worked the way most people would likely want it to work
because only "chrome://newtab" opened a tab and autowiped clear the address
bar for you but it happens to actually be a special page that has stuff on
it put there by Epic, not you.

Most of that stuff seems to be removable except for one item, which is a
box saying "How Epic Works" which when you click on it, then takes you to
https://www.epicbrowser.com/privacy/intro.html

You don't know offhand if it's going there ahead of time on you.
Nothing I tried really brings up a blank page with a blank address bar.

But your suggestion of "about:blank" was the closest to that ideal.