From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Thunderbird prefs gone!
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:20:54 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:20 UTC

Not a rant but that was a bit annoying, fired up Thunderbird this
morning and no accounts at all. Fortunately it only took about ten
minutes to realise what had gone wrong and the easiest thing to do was
just to recreate the NG account.

Re: Thunderbird prefs gone!

<t38me2$ssd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6929&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6929

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Thunderbird prefs gone!
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:36:16 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:36 UTC

On 14/04/2022 09:20, JAB wrote:
> Not a rant but that was a bit annoying, fired up Thunderbird this
> morning and no accounts at all. Fortunately it only took about ten
> minutes to realise what had gone wrong and the easiest thing to do was
> just to recreate the NG account.

The positive though, I no longer seem suffer from having to randomly
click on threads so I can send a post.

Re: Thunderbird prefs gone!

<flgg5hd2mkhukbmfmq0qol0ti0taph3cg9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6935&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6935

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:50:25 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:50 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:20:54 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Not a rant but that was a bit annoying, fired up Thunderbird this
>morning and no accounts at all. Fortunately it only took about ten
>minutes to realise what had gone wrong and the easiest thing to do was
>just to recreate the NG account.

*--

Wonder what is up with that!

-pw

Re: Thunderbird prefs gone!

<4blg5hlj6ek29fg8013uctn35itvbuqmc8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6938&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6938

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:14:25 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:14 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:20:54 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Not a rant but that was a bit annoying, fired up Thunderbird this
>morning and no accounts at all. Fortunately it only took about ten
>minutes to realise what had gone wrong and the easiest thing to do was
>just to recreate the NG account.

That's what backups are for ;-)

Sounds like a corrupt (or deleted) prefs.js file. I'm not sure if
there's a solution to that outside of what you did, which is to
recreate the accounts again (and, if necessary, point the program to
the folder(s) where your old email databases were).

Or, like I said, have a back-up ;-)

But in the end it all worked out alright for you, so good news, I
suppose.

Re: Thunderbird prefs gone!

<t3b5t7$2fh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6945&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6945

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:12:37 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:12 UTC

On 14/04/2022 18:14, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:20:54 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> Not a rant but that was a bit annoying, fired up Thunderbird this
>> morning and no accounts at all. Fortunately it only took about ten
>> minutes to realise what had gone wrong and the easiest thing to do was
>> just to recreate the NG account.
>
> That's what backups are for ;-)
>
> Sounds like a corrupt (or deleted) prefs.js file. I'm not sure if
> there's a solution to that outside of what you did, which is to
> recreate the accounts again (and, if necessary, point the program to
> the folder(s) where your old email databases were).
>
> Or, like I said, have a back-up ;-)
>
> But in the end it all worked out alright for you, so good news, I
> suppose.

I presumed that was what had happened but although I can probably find a
back-up somewhere I just didn't think it was worth the effort
considering I only use Thunderbird for NG access so it just meant typing
in a few settings and subscribing to this group.

To be honest I've got fairly lax about backing things up as I've
realised that there's almost nothing on the actually PC that isn't saved
in the cloud someone or more accurately some sever in Slough!

In other good news with something technically related, I've managed to
sort out the USB charger port on my phone so that the cable doesn't fall
out just by looking at it. One toothpick + scalpel to make a
non-conductive cleaning tool* later. Now I realised the airhose for my
compressor has developed a leak so I need to find where I put the spare
one so I can give the port a final clean. I just didn't realise quite
how sensitive USB-C ports are to getting fluff in them.

I did a search of possible fixes and one of them was using a paperclip,
now I'm really not sure that's a good idea.