"Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

SubjectAuthor
* How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAndy Burns
|+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
||`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|| +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
|| |+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchgtr
|| |`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchKen Blake
|| | +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchnospam
|| | +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAnt
|| | `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
|| |  `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchnospam
|| |   `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
|| |    `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchnospam
|| `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchRonTheGuy
|`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
| `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchNewyana2
|  `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|   +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAlan Browne
|   |`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|   | +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAlan Browne
|   | |`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|   | | `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAlan Browne
|   | `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
|   |  `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|   +- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchKen Blake
|   `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchNewyana2
|    `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|     +* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAlan Browne
|     |`- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|     `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchNY
+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchMajorLanGod
|`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
| `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
|  `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
|   `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchdan
+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchJeff Barnett
|`- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchLars Anders
+* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchZaghadka
|+- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchnospam
|`* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchChar Jackson
| `* Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchZaghadka
|  +- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchAndy Burnelli
|  `- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchZaghadka
`- Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switchBob F

Pages:123
Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<6v570it3sgqltra9gj7452dtl1a83ucqqn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69471&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69471

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:12:14 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:12 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:27:47 -0200, in alt.comp.os.windows-10, dan wrote:

>But how would I turn the old router from routing into a "dumb" switch?

Basically, you don't. You will get more complicated answers. But they
will vary from "not worth it" to "you can't."

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<LNMML.172382$b7Kc.7914@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69472&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69472

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:15:55 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:15 UTC

On 2023-03-04 12:55, dan wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:29:07 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:
>

>>> Who wouldn't want extended range for free without cost or waste?
>>> And who wouldn't want to save landfills from one more piece of waste?
>>
>> This is my first thought as well, along with benefits such as another AP
>> for WiFi.
>
> Like you I don't want to waste things and I only started realizing that
> every option that I choose adds both the access points and the switches.
>
>> However, it is more complicated to set up and will require maintenance
>> at some point down the line if the configuration changes.
>
> I don't "maintain" my routers since nowadays they can upload the latest
> firmware on their own, and they take their IP address from the modem too.

In the sense that if you re-configure your network address space on the
primary, then you would need to likewise "align" your secondary for
compatibility. Yes, most people "get it to work" then leave well enough
alone, but it's possible. Whereas with a smart switch there is nothing
at all to do.

<S>

>>> I would also say most people could use a few more ports, but as some noted,
>>> they never hook voip phones or cellular mini towers or network printers or
>>> additional wired access points or wired repeaters and the like to their
>>> main home router so most of its ports are probably unused already.
>>
>> WiFi does a lot to avoid cables, and a lot of "appliances" have WiFi
>> (printers, etc) so it's appealing to avoid cabling.
>
> On a humorous sidenote, I observe that going wireless has produced more
> wires than I had before I only had long ago wired devices. :->

I went through a "cleanup cycle" a couple years ago. Sad to see all
that good wiring go to the eco centre.

A few weeks ago I attended a ham radio "flea market". There were tons
of Ethernet, USB, RS-232 (9 and 15 pin) cables, mice, wired keyboards,
old displays, endlessly.

Face it: most of it is now e-trash.

I keep enough that I can "re build" something if needed, but I've gotten
rid of tons of stuff.

If I'm missing a cable, I'd go to the eco centre. They don't care if
you browse and pilfer.

> I've run cabling too but I prefer for this re-use not to, so the only
> cabling will either be from the new home router to the old re-used router
> (to get more ports mostly as I don't need more access points in the office)
> or from a PC ethernet port to the old re-used router (to extend its range
> and to add more ethernet ports to the pc and to add two more access points
> at the location of the pc).
>
> Practically, that option seems to be the best but it would likely be only
> useful for a static desktop and not useful for a laptop which moves around.

I still connect my work laptop to Ethernet directly even though WiFi is
more than adequate.

>> But. If I had to run it to the other end of the house I doubt I'd even
>> try. WiFi would do it.
>
> One trick I've used in the past to get signal from one end of the house to
> the far end is to drill a hole in the outside wall where the modem cable
> runs into the house and run the cat5 cabling from the home router in the
> office out that hole and then around the outside perimeter of the house and
> then either bring the signal back inside the house at the other end by
> drilling another hole or without drilling the hole using an access point
> just outside the window pointing back into the house.
>
> I'd use the router if I could but it has to be outdoor equipment for that.

Well - even if you have to drill "back in" - (But not very sure on the
"outdoor" rating of most CAT-5/6.

I have other options like via the attic that I could use, or (if I let
it run on the ceiling gyprock in the basement in a nook nobody would
notice), into a crawlspace and up into the main floor LR near the sound
system for that room.

<S>
> Once I set up a router, I don't look at it for years, and because of that I
> often tape a written description of the login details because I don't touch
> it for another five years and then I forget what the login credentials are.

I often peek to see what is using the router. Probably a dozen times
per year. Keep the creds in a password manager.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<k7770i99df4vsu4e32j77m7auufrf7k82g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69473&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69473

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 12:34:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:34 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:32:44 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <HDOdnafF1vt79Z75nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
><ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>> > But, not knowing what the future will bring, if I needed more ports
>> > some day, would this $18.99 switch be a good choice?
>>

>> > https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PFYM5
>> > MZ/
>
>> Also, is that enhanced software worth getting and using? Or can we use a
>> free third party software?
>
>what enhanced software?
>
>it's an unmanaged switch. there isn't anything software can do.

I see that some switches are called "managed switches." What's the
difference? What's the advantage of being managed?

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<040320231435025721%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69474&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69474

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 14:35:02 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

In article <6v570it3sgqltra9gj7452dtl1a83ucqqn@4ax.com>, Zaghadka
<zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >But how would I turn the old router from routing into a "dumb" switch?
>
> Basically, you don't. You will get more complicated answers. But they
> will vary from "not worth it" to "you can't."

it's not at all complicated, and if someone has an old router that
otherwise isn't being used, there's little reason not to repurpose it.

turn off dhcp and use only the lan ports. done.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<pa770i5lhvpt2chh41aiopu4b6qjfbfr36@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69475&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69475

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 12:51:24 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:51 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 15:12:58 -0200, dan <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 08:57:37 -0500, Newyana2 wrote:
>

>> I wonder if it's worth the trouble. I have spare routers,
>> but when I wanted to go over five wired connections I
>> just bought a network switch. I think it was $25 for a
>> 4-port switch, which works as easily as a multi-receptacle
>> extension cord. Some connections are fixed IP. Some are
>> DHCP. The router handles that. (I like to avoid wifi for
>> security and efficiency. So I've got 50' or 100' cables at
>> Home Depot and run them next to the forced hot air
>> heat ducts to bring ethernet outlets to the whole house.)
>
>Who wouldn't want extended range for free without cost or waste?

I wouldn't, since I have no need for it.

>And who wouldn't want to save landfills from one more piece of waste?

One more is a tiny amount more. Yes, I know that many would say,
multiply that by a lot of people, and it become significant. Maybe so,
but that doesn't affect my deciding to throw something away if I have
no use for it and can't find someone who does.

>My thoughts are that I hate to waste things, and buying a new "anything" is
>a tremendous waste for the environment if everyone acted that way.

Yes, that's the "everyone" point of view I mentioned above. But as I
said, it doesn't affect my decisions.

>I would also say most people could use a few more ports,

"Most"? Certainly some, but I doubt very much that it's anywhere near
most.

> but as some noted,
>they never hook voip phones or cellular mini towers or network printers or
>additional wired access points or wired repeaters and the like to their
>main home router so most of its ports are probably unused already.

As I said, my router has four ethernet ports:

My computer
My wife's computer
They are side by side on adjacent desks in the same room.
My Obi device for VoIP
One unused port

My printer, my scanner, and my wife's printer are all connected
directly to our computers via USB.

>But I would assume almost everyone not living in a one-bedroom flat would
>like to have increased signal strength in the furthest places of the home.

I live in a four-bedroom house. My router's WI-FI works fine
everywhere in my house.

>Most people, I would think, would be like me in that they don't want to
>string wires

Don't want to or are unable to. I used to do that years ago, but now
that I'm 85, my DIY abilities are greatly lessened.

>so what's left is the choice of using the extra router as
>[1] smart switch (I later realized a switch can also be an access point)
>[2] access point (which is a switch and an access point)
>[3] wireless repeater (which also has access points)
>[4] wireless client bridge (which also has access point)
>[5] wired pc wireless range extender (connected to the client bridge)

Or my choice: giving it to a friend who needs one or throwing it away.

>What's confusing now that I think more deeply of what a typical wireless
>home router

Mine is ethernet and wireless. I essentially use its wireless just for
my smart phone, and that's only occasional.

>can do is that almost every option starts looking like the same
>thing if you're not bridging networks. They all seem to have access points.
>
>Am I correct in assuming that every option listed above in some way can
>"extend the range" of your signal when set up on a typical home router?

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<k6hm9uFikdoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69476&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69476

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:59:50 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> I see that some switches are called "managed switches." What's the
> difference? What's the advantage of being managed?

You can disable unused ports to stop anyone simply plugging in and using
them without you knowing about it.

You can split your LAN into multiple virtual LANs (VLANs) e.g. to keep
work computers separated from play computers/IoT devices etc

You can combine multiple ports to get faster than 1Gb (without going to
2.5 or 10 Gb)

You can monitor how much traffic each port uses

Etc ...

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu09f9$12auh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69477&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69477

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:25:13 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:25 UTC

On 3/3/2023 11:27 AM, dan wrote:
> The current home router is currently set up as the LAN gateway on
> 192.168.1.1 and it's set to get the WAN Internet IP address from the modem,
> and it's set to hand out DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.
>
> I've just now configured a new replacement router the same way by
> connecting it to the Ethernet port of my Windows PC & duplicating
> the setup that was on the old router (as much as was possible).
>
> I'm going to swap them, but I might lose my Internet so I ask now.
>
> After I replace that current router with the new router, then I have an
> extra router which I'd like to make some kind of future use of somehow.
>
> I guess the simplest task is to re-use the spare router as a switch, right?
> (I don't really need the extra four LAN ports but why not add them anyway?)
>
> But how would I turn the old router from routing into a "dumb" switch?
>
> Do I change the old router IP address from 192.168.1.1 to a static IP of
> something unused in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 or do I let
> the replacement router (which is set up to hand out DHCP addresses in that
> range) do it?
>
> Does it matter what IP address I set that new "dumb" switch to?
>
> Mainly I'm asking (before I switch over) how to turn the now spare router
> into something useful, such as a dumb switch (to get four more ports).

You can also use the wifi of the second router to isolate wifi devices
from your network.

"The reason why you’ll want to keep your IoT devices isolated is because
most manufacturers care little or not at all about implementing some
type of security measures within their devices and those that do, most
often don’t update their products ever again, leaving you with
vulnerable devices which can easily become infected, therefore
compromising the entire network."

https://www.mbreviews.com/cascading-routers/

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<1aa70ih9lpiauta2faas6hot3iav078ak4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69478&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69478

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:29:33 -0700
References: <ttthn7$2f3or$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k6f1pjF68l5U1@mid.individual.net> <i2050i1vt0s65v30hak1rht23fovs95jc5@4ax.com> <ttu95e$2m1r5$1@paganini.bofh.team> <9ga50i5fna05h5brsg58i1vflfdnt17bq5@4ax.com> <ofl60idrhnnsbs645r88lnmf4p2a9u1smp@4ax.com> <HDOdnafF1vt79Z75nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com> <040320231332441406%nospam@nospam.invalid> <k7770i99df4vsu4e32j77m7auufrf7k82g@4ax.com> <k6hm9uFikdoU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 19:59:50 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I see that some switches are called "managed switches." What's the
>> difference? What's the advantage of being managed?
>
>You can disable unused ports to stop anyone simply plugging in and using
>them without you knowing about it.

Not an issue for me. Nobody could plug into a port here without my
knowing it.

>You can split your LAN into multiple virtual LANs (VLANs) e.g. to keep
>work computers separated from play computers/IoT devices etc

I have no work computers and no play computers, just a single LAN.

>You can combine multiple ports to get faster than 1Gb (without going to
>2.5 or 10 Gb)

Faster Internet access? What I have is usually fast enough, but that
might sometimes be of value.

>You can monitor how much traffic each port uses

I don't care.

>Etc ...

OK thanks. I don't think that's for me.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<040320231532071186%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69479&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69479

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 15:32:07 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:32 UTC

In article <k7770i99df4vsu4e32j77m7auufrf7k82g@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> I see that some switches are called "managed switches." What's the
> difference? What's the advantage of being managed?

an unmanaged switch simply connects devices. it's 'dumb'. it's
sufficient for small networks, such as home users.

a managed switch provides for a *lot* of additional functionality
that's needed for larger networks, including monitoring traffic,
guaranteeing bandwidth or limiting it per device or per port, creating
virtual subnets to segregate devices, linking multiple ports together
for higher bandwidth, redundancy and a *lot* more. usually there is a
web ui to configure it, while some have dedicated software. there might
also be a serial port for command line access.

wifi routers are sort of in the middle. they're not truly a managed
switch but do offer some of its features, such as a separate guest wifi
network that can only access the internet while blocking the rest of
the lan, quality of service for voip phones or gaming, limiting access
to certain sites or times (often called parental control or intrusion
protection).

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<k6hoogFivbfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69480&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69480

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:41:44 +0000
<1aa70ih9lpiauta2faas6hot3iav078ak4@4ax.com>
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:41 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> You can combine multiple ports to get faster than 1Gb (without going to
>> 2.5 or 10 Gb)
>
> Faster Internet access?

No, usually faster connection a server (or at home, a NAS) so that
multiple PCs can get gigabit speeds at the same time).

> OK thanks. I don't think that's for me.

I tend to agree ...

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu0b6c$2st1v$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69481&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69481

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:54:49 -0200
 by: dan - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:54 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:15:55 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

> I often peek to see what is using the router. Probably a dozen times
> per year. Keep the creds in a password manager.

I just peeked at the new router that I had installed yesterday and
just reading the log brings up a whole bunch of new questions I don't
know the answers to.

Like should I worry about the time zone or this highlighted line in this screen shot?
https://i.postimg.cc/TPPGJ926/dosattack.jpg

There are a whole bunch of the expected list of devices attaching to it.
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.31)] to MAC address B2:2E:18:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 12:29:53
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.32)] to MAC address FA:63:40:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 14:30:52
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.33)] to MAC address 48:5F:99:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:53:15
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.35)] to MAC address D8:FB:5E:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:04:43
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.38)] to MAC address E2:11:A4:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 13:36:20
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address D4:1B:81:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:17:58
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.41)] to MAC address 8C:29:37:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:18:20
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.42)] to MAC address 96:0C:98:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 11:06:11
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.43)] to MAC address 4E:69:49:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:09:10

And a little bit of housekeeping in the log file.
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:58
[Internet connected] IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:57
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.11.136] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:35
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.32, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 20:31:21

But what was a bit disconcerting was this logged event.
[DoS attack: FIN Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [18.154.206.7], Saturday, Mar 04,2023 00:33:13

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<AFOML.201162$ZnFc.49020@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69482&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69482

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:23:44 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:23 UTC

On 2023-03-04 15:54, dan wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 14:15:55 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:
>

>> I often peek to see what is using the router. Probably a dozen times
>> per year. Keep the creds in a password manager.
>
> I just peeked at the new router that I had installed yesterday and
> just reading the log brings up a whole bunch of new questions I don't
> know the answers to.
>
> Like should I worry about the time zone or this highlighted line in this screen shot?
> https://i.postimg.cc/TPPGJ926/dosattack.jpg
>
> There are a whole bunch of the expected list of devices attaching to it.
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.31)] to MAC address B2:2E:18:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 12:29:53
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.32)] to MAC address FA:63:40:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 14:30:52
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.33)] to MAC address 48:5F:99:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:53:15
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.35)] to MAC address D8:FB:5E:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:04:43
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.38)] to MAC address E2:11:A4:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 13:36:20
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address D4:1B:81:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:17:58
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.41)] to MAC address 8C:29:37:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:18:20
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.42)] to MAC address 96:0C:98:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 11:06:11
> [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.43)] to MAC address 4E:69:49:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:09:10
>
> And a little bit of housekeeping in the log file.
> [Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:58
> [Internet connected] IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:57
> [Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.11.136] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:35
> [Admin login] from source 192.168.1.32, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 20:31:21
>
> But what was a bit disconcerting was this logged event.
> [DoS attack: FIN Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [18.154.206.7], Saturday, Mar 04,2023 00:33:13

Some routers over-log too much chaff.

Don't need to configure time much unless you've set time of day
filtering of some kind or other - or if logging events with accurate
times is important to you.

Most routers support NTP - so find a server "near" you. (Within 3000 km
is fine enough for this purpose). You should even be able to set the
DST rules per your locale.

DoS attack: Don't worry about it. If the attack were working, you'd know.
Do a speed test to see if you're getting the nominal BW from your ISP.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<6ui70ihcelfano3955e1ifca8c7vn6jb2s@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69483

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 16:55:03 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 22:55 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:32:45 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <5i170i14itk2mo8bm0enbbv1rupvqls1d0@4ax.com>, Char Jackson
><none@none.invalid> wrote:
>

>> I currently have 3 Netgear GS208 switches scattered
>> around the house where I need extra gigabit ports and they've been
>> working fine for the past 3 years or so. The main difference between the
>> GS208 and the GS308 (linked above) seems to be that the 308 has a metal
>> case, which is nice, while my 208's are plastic. If I was buying today,
>> the Netgear GS308 would be on my short list.
>
>i've never seen a plastic netgear switch. all of the ones i have are
>metal, going back to 100b-t days.

You made me get up and look, but my GS208 switches definitely have white
plastic cases. I prefer metal cases, so I'm not sure how I ended up with
three of these. They work fine, though.

>for an unmanaged gigabit switch, there's no real difference between
>brands and probably have the same chipset inside.

Sounds likely.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<amj70i5kfpotf09b3hjhsuae6dsocg2vlc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69484&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69484

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 17:08:46 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:08 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 13:12:14 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:27:47 -0200, in alt.comp.os.windows-10, dan wrote:
>
>>But how would I turn the old router from routing into a "dumb" switch?
>
>Basically, you don't. You will get more complicated answers. But they
>will vary from "not worth it" to "you can't."

You may not have read the thread or you'd see that it's beyond simple.

Disable DHCP, configure a static LAN IP, and don't use the WAN port. Now
you have an unmanaged switch, and you can do it with virtually every
SOHO router, with or without WiFi. No extra software required, you can
do those simple tasks right from the router's GUI.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<gsj70i1u5ish85krfmelpf1v6ofusf199o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69485

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 17:18:46 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:18 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 15:55:12 -0200, dan <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>If anything, I have more appreciation now than before I opened this topic
>that a router is a powerful set of switches & access points no matter how
>you configure it for a typical home environment.

Well, not a set of switches, but just one switch (per router). Also, I
wouldn't call this kind of switch powerful. Oh, just a reminder to check
the speed of those switch ports. If it's an older router, they could be
limited to 100 meg. These days, gigabit is probably expected.

>I only recently realized another use can be to augment a PC's weak Wi-Fi
>NIC by connecting the router to the Ethernet port and using it for three
>different purposes all at the same time (which is amazing).
>
>[1] It starts as a wireless client bridge connected to any AP in the home
>[2] For free it adds a few more ports at that PC if you need more Ethernet
>[3] And for free it adds two Wi-Fi access points at the location of the PC

If you use it as a client, then you're using one of the radios, leaving
the other radio available. I may not be fully up to speed, but I don't
remember being able to use one radio in client mode and the other radio
in AP mode. If you decide to go that route, check into that.

>I don't see any disadvantage of this other than it uses up the one Ethernet
>port most PCs have but if you're not using it, then that's not a drawback.

Not a con because where you initially had one Ethernet port, now you
have three.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<040320231830212836%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69486&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69486

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 18:30:21 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:30 UTC

In article <6ui70ihcelfano3955e1ifca8c7vn6jb2s@4ax.com>, Char Jackson
<none@none.invalid> wrote:

> >> I currently have 3 Netgear GS208 switches scattered
> >> around the house where I need extra gigabit ports and they've been
> >> working fine for the past 3 years or so. The main difference between the
> >> GS208 and the GS308 (linked above) seems to be that the 308 has a metal
> >> case, which is nice, while my 208's are plastic. If I was buying today,
> >> the Netgear GS308 would be on my short list.
> >
> >i've never seen a plastic netgear switch. all of the ones i have are
> >metal, going back to 100b-t days.
>
> You made me get up and look, but my GS208 switches definitely have white
> plastic cases. I prefer metal cases, so I'm not sure how I ended up with
> three of these. They work fine, though.

yep, it looks like the gs108 and 308 are metal and the 208 is plastic.

<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/815TTkJaVxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg>

<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51JF4LYyGVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg>

<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Ik6OnO2OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg>

the old fs108 (100bt) is metal and their higher end stuff is metal.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu0sm4$33723$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69487&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69487

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:53:20 -0200
 by: dan - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 01:53 UTC

On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 17:18:46 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:

>>[1] It starts as a wireless client bridge connected to any AP in the home
>>[2] For free it adds a few more ports at that PC if you need more Ethernet
>>[3] And for free it adds two Wi-Fi access points at the location of the PC
>
> If you use it as a client, then you're using one of the radios, leaving
> the other radio available. I may not be fully up to speed, but I don't
> remember being able to use one radio in client mode and the other radio
> in AP mode. If you decide to go that route, check into that.

The more I look into what to do with this spare router the greater my
appreciation for how powerfully versatile these little things really are.

This morning I flashed it with DD-WRT so now it's even more versatile.

I'm going to set it up in one of two configurations, depending on where I
decide to put it (and if I can get the setup to work how I think it will).

The two weakest locations current in the house are the kitchen & a bedroom
where the kitchen could use stronger signal & the bedroom has a desktop PC.

[1] Bedroom PC Ethernet set up as wireless client + wireless repeater.
[2] Kitchen standalone Internet station, set up as a wireless repeater.
>>I don't see any disadvantage of this other than it uses up the one Ethernet
>>port most PCs have but if you're not using it, then that's not a drawback.
>
> Not a con because where you initially had one Ethernet port, now you
> have three.

I don't see any disadvantages no matter how I set it up because I gain
three ports (you can even gain four ports with dd-wrt settings) and I gain
two access points (but I see above you say maybe I only gain one AP).

My two choices I'm focusing on learning how to set up are these two.

[1] Bedroom PC Ethernet set up as wireless client + wireless repeater.
This accomplishes three things, for free, because it is probably a
stronger connection over Wi-Fi to the router (via the wireless bridge)
and it adds one (or two?) strong access points in the bedroom
(for things like a cellphone and laptop PC to use) and it adds three
(or four?) Ethernet ports to the PC (DD-WRT has a setting to make the '
yellow WAN port into a LAN port so that would add four extra RJ45s).

[2] Kitchen standalone Internet station, set up as a wireless repeater.
This accomplishes two things, for free, because portable devices in
the kitchen can make use of the one (or two) access points of the
spare router, and if needed, it adds four (or five) Ethernet ports too.

Either way, it's more useful than a dumb switch would be so I'm glad people
were able to help guide me to put the spare router to a better purpose.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<2UydnR1WFd_xm5n5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69488&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69488

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 03:03:08 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:03 UTC

In alt.internet.wireless Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2023 15:51:02 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >In alt.comp.os.windows-10 Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> >> But, not knowing what the future will bring, if I needed more ports
> >> some day, would this $18.99 switch be a good choice?
> >
> >> https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VJNMB3XPQXC&keywords=lan%2Bswitch%2B8%2Bport&qid=1677940077&sprefix=lan%2Bswitch%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3&th=1
> >
> >Also, is that enhanced software worth getting and using? Or can we use a
> >free third party software?

> What enhanced software? If you mean 3rd party router firmware, yes,
> that's generally free, but it's not applicable to a switch.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PLFCQVK/ after clicking on its "8 Port with Enhanced Features" style:
"* Plus software with easy-to-use interface offers basic managed capabilities to configure, secure, and monitor your network"
--
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." --Proverbs 19:2. Winter is back, but without its annoying rain & winds. No naps 4 days 2 make this old ant pass out & wake up very early like 10 PM to 5 AM.
| |o o| |

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<040320232248463125%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69489&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69489

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 22:48:46 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:48 UTC

In article <2UydnR1WFd_xm5n5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > >Also, is that enhanced software worth getting and using? Or can we use a
> > >free third party software?
>
> > What enhanced software? If you mean 3rd party router firmware, yes,
> > that's generally free, but it's not applicable to a switch.
>

> https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PLFCQVK
> / after clicking on its "8 Port with Enhanced Features" style:
> "* Plus software with easy-to-use interface offers basic managed capabilities
> to configure, secure, and monitor your network"

spec sheet:
<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91mZ0NQjqKL.pdf>
NETGEAR ® Plus Switches meet this growing need by providing
fundamental network features such as VLANs, QoS, and IGMP Snooping
that will help optimize the performance of business networks. Plus
Switches are the perfect upgrade from the plug-and-play unmanaged
switch, delivering essential networking features at a very affordable
price.

it looks like it's more than just an unmanaged switch, although it's
not as comprehensive as a higher end model.

the 'software' is built in and accessed via a web browser.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu285i$37nq9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69492&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69492

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:14:55 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 14:14 UTC

"dan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote

| Who wouldn't want extended range for free without cost or waste?
| And who wouldn't want to save landfills from one more piece of waste?
| | My thoughts are that I hate to waste things, and buying a new "anything"
is
| a tremendous waste for the environment if everyone acted that way.

That makes sense, *if* it really adds notable usefulness
to re-use the old router. I didn't understand that you're
going mostly wireless. I had bought a switch for adding
more cables and thought that was what you wanted
to do. I don't have any experience with wifi extending
options because I simply don't use wifi. Sorry to confuse
things.

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu2mqh$399op$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69494&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69494

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:25:34 -0200
 by: dan - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:25 UTC

On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:14:55 -0500, Newyana2 wrote:

>| Who wouldn't want extended range for free without cost or waste?
>| And who wouldn't want to save landfills from one more piece of waste?

> That makes sense, *if* it really adds notable usefulness
> to re-use the old router. I didn't understand that you're
> going mostly wireless. I had bought a switch for adding
> more cables and thought that was what you wanted
> to do. I don't have any experience with wifi extending
> options because I simply don't use wifi. Sorry to confuse
> things.

Please do not apologize. I learned a LOT from this thread, and, from that
learning, I acquired a healthy APPRECIATION for how powerful routers are!

Even old routers.

I apologize that I started asking only how to turn the old router into a
dumb switch but then when I started learning what an old router could do, I
"moved the goalposts" to asking how to make it a more useful Repeater
Bridge.

It took most of the night last evening to set it up and debug why it wasn't
working the way it's documented, but I can simplify the final results that
it's WONDERFUL to be able to plug in a Repeater Bridge almost ANYWHERE in
your home that has "low signal" strength - and voila - it's fantastic!

No wires!

I put the spare router inside a cabinet in the kitchen powered up.
Then I tested it by connecting with phones and laptops in the kitchen.

Instantly I have a VERY STRONG wireless signal strength in that kitchen.

A wonderful versatility is that if I need a VERY STRONG signal somewhere
else in the house, or even outside the house (if it's not too far away),
I can just pick up that spare router and move it to that location.

Any location that is close enough to receive "some" signal from any access
point in the house (notice very clearly I didn't say the home router!), can
get instant HIGH SIGNAL strength simply by plopping the spare router there.

That's pretty useful don't you think?

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<an5NL.156017$wfQc.104270@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69495&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69495

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 13:41:09 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:41 UTC

On 2023-03-05 13:25, dan wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 09:14:55 -0500, Newyana2 wrote:
>

>> | Who wouldn't want extended range for free without cost or waste?
>> | And who wouldn't want to save landfills from one more piece of waste?
>
>> That makes sense, *if* it really adds notable usefulness
>> to re-use the old router. I didn't understand that you're
>> going mostly wireless. I had bought a switch for adding
>> more cables and thought that was what you wanted
>> to do. I don't have any experience with wifi extending
>> options because I simply don't use wifi. Sorry to confuse
>> things.
>
> Please do not apologize. I learned a LOT from this thread, and, from that
> learning, I acquired a healthy APPRECIATION for how powerful routers are!
>
> Even old routers.
>
> I apologize that I started asking only how to turn the old router into a
> dumb switch but then when I started learning what an old router could do, I
> "moved the goalposts" to asking how to make it a more useful Repeater
> Bridge.

Never apologize for asking and learning.

This is one of the goals of usenet: people helping people.

And it doesn't mean you get the answer you're looking for.

And the discussion refreshes information, explores ideas and takes us
down the odd rabbit hole.

Unfortunately a few big egos come along and prance in various ways.

> It took most of the night last evening to set it up and debug why it wasn't
> working the way it's documented, but I can simplify the final results that
> it's WONDERFUL to be able to plug in a Repeater Bridge almost ANYWHERE in
> your home that has "low signal" strength - and voila - it's fantastic!
>
> No wires!
>
> I put the spare router inside a cabinet in the kitchen powered up.
> Then I tested it by connecting with phones and laptops in the kitchen.
>
> Instantly I have a VERY STRONG wireless signal strength in that kitchen.
>
> A wonderful versatility is that if I need a VERY STRONG signal somewhere
> else in the house, or even outside the house (if it's not too far away),
> I can just pick up that spare router and move it to that location.
>
> Any location that is close enough to receive "some" signal from any access
> point in the house (notice very clearly I didn't say the home router!), can
> get instant HIGH SIGNAL strength simply by plopping the spare router there.
>
> That's pretty useful don't you think?

Yes indeed - glad this is working for you. I have a spare WiFi router
and now I'm tempted to do similar: I can put it in the attic above the
centre of the house. Has to go through the ceiling but that's better
than the 2 walls it's penetrating now to get to the kitchen and patio (3
walls). OTOH, it would made wired access to the router not very practical.

Another route would be a (brieflyly exposed) cable through the basement
into the crawlspace and up into the LR. Already have some speaker wire
on that last segment.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu2o3e$39dof$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69496&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69496

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:47:23 -0200
References: <ttthn7$2f3or$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k6f1pjF68l5U1@mid.individual.net> <i2050i1vt0s65v30hak1rht23fovs95jc5@4ax.com> <ttu95e$2m1r5$1@paganini.bofh.team> <9ga50i5fna05h5brsg58i1vflfdnt17bq5@4ax.com> <ofl60idrhnnsbs645r88lnmf4p2a9u1smp@4ax.com> <HDOdnafF1vt79Z75nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com> <040320231332441406%nospam@nospam.invalid> <k7770i99df4vsu4e32j77m7auufrf7k82g@4ax.com> <k6hm9uFikdoU1@mid.individual.net> <1aa70ih9lpiauta2faas6hot3iav078ak4@4ax.com> <k6hoogFivbfU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: dan - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:47 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:41:44 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> OK thanks. I don't think that's for me.
>
> I tend to agree ...

It took many hours last night but I have earned a newly found appreciation
for how WONDERFUL having a spare router can be, in that I can plug it in
almost anywhere in the house, and I get instant high signal strength there.

All I need is electricity and signal from somewhere (which can be either
the home router's access points, or any other access point around my home).

What took the most time this week was mainly in learned enough to DECIDE
what to do with the spare router, where I didn't know for the longest time
what the difference was between setting up the spare router "Wireless Mode"
as an AP, Adhoc, Client, Client Bridge, Repeater or Repeater Bridge.

While I first asked to set it up as a "dumb switch", I soon realized these
two were the most versatile options for extending the main router's range.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Client_Bridge.jpg
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Repeater_Bridge.jpg

And of those, the more versatile option turns out to be a Repeater Bridge.

A Repeater Bridge has the following advantages.
[1] It can be placed anywhere there is enough signal from anything
[2] That signal can be from the main router or from a nearby access point
[3] There's no need for any wires (other than for the power supply)

What you gain with a Repeater Bridge wherever you plop it down, is
[1] You gain five Ethernet RJ45 ports for free (one is configurable)
[2] You gain a strong access point wherever you plop the Repeater Bridge
[3] I can't figure out even a single downside to a Repeater Bridge setup

Can you think of any downside to this approach for everyone to use?

Instead of throwing away this spare router, just by the act of turning it
into a Repeater Bridge allows me to plop it anywhere that has any signal
from any access point (not just from the main router's access points) and
instantly I get strong signal with no wires wherever I place it.

That's really nice!
What could be better than that!

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<tu2pqg$39jp3$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69497&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69497

From: nos...@nospam.com (dan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 17:16:44 -0200
 by: dan - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 19:16 UTC

On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 20:41:36 -0600, Char Jackson wrote:

> Every router with more than one LAN port has an Ethernet switch built
> in, almost always a 5-port switch where the 5th port is internally
> connected to the router section.

I found out that you're right that the DD-WRT software I flashed has an
option to turn the now unused WAN RJ45 port into a usable LAN RJ45 port.

Repeater Bridge DD-WRT Setup > Basic Setup > Network Setup > WAN Port >
Assign WAN Port to Switch = checkbox

That makes all five ports (4 LAN + 1 WAN) RJ45s into usable LAN ports.

Yesterday I finished setting it up as what DD-WRT calls a Repeater Bridge.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Repeater_Bridge.jpg

My plan is to plop that Repeater Bridge (inside or outside) wherever I need
stronger signal (if it has enough signal from any access point nearby).

Not only does that "new" Repeater Bridge give me instant strong signal
anywhere I plug it in, but it also gives me those five Ethernet ports
I had asked for when I first opened this thread.

One of those five Ethernet ports could be useful to plug a pc into if the
pc doesn't have a wireless NIC but if it only has an Ethernet NIC instead.

That way the Repeater Bridge also adds Wi-Fi to a pc.

All this is for free.
[1] Instant high signal strength for wireless devices like phones & laptops
[2] No wires other than the need for the power connection
[3] Five Ethernet ports
[4] Connects to any access point (not just to the one main home router)

I'm trying to think of a downside to having set up the spare router as a
Repeater Bridge, and I just can't think of any. Is there any downside?

Re: How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

<jns90itj5nmp3kjh69vmtfh0slt62f2vsb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69499

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless
References: <i2050i1vt0s65v30hak1rht23fovs95jc5@4ax.com> <ttu95e$2m1r5$1@paganini.bofh.team> <9ga50i5fna05h5brsg58i1vflfdnt17bq5@4ax.com> <ofl60idrhnnsbs645r88lnmf4p2a9u1smp@4ax.com> <HDOdnafF1vt79Z75nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com> <040320231332441406%nospam@nospam.invalid> <k7770i99df4vsu4e32j77m7auufrf7k82g@4ax.com> <k6hm9uFikdoU1@mid.individual.net> <1aa70ih9lpiauta2faas6hot3iav078ak4@4ax.com> <k6hoogFivbfU1@mid.individual.net> <tu2o3e$39dof$1@paganini.bofh.team>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 13:53:58 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 19:53 UTC

On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:47:23 -0200, dan <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>It took many hours last night but I have earned a newly found appreciation
>for how WONDERFUL having a spare router can be, in that I can plug it in
>almost anywhere in the house, and I get instant high signal strength there.

<snip>

>What you gain with a Repeater Bridge wherever you plop it down, is
>[1] You gain five Ethernet RJ45 ports for free (one is configurable)
>[2] You gain a strong access point wherever you plop the Repeater Bridge
>[3] I can't figure out even a single downside to a Repeater Bridge setup

Low throughput comes to mind when dealing with repeaters. If you're ok
with that, the rest is good.