From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:25:42 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:25 UTC

Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?

Annoying random switching to my TV as monitor and nothing at my desktop
monitor. Happens every now and then.

Edmund

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?

<ugmpsh$35dt9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6942&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6942

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:13:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:13 UTC

On 10/16/2023 11:25 AM, Edmund wrote:
> Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?
>
> Annoying random switching to my TV as monitor and nothing at my desktop monitor. Happens every now and then.
>
> Edmund

The answer to this is actually NO.

The computer controls the configuration and you don't matter :-)

Video cards have impedance sensing. They pretend to understand
what is connected.

And sometimes, they ignore the impedance register, and just
do whatever they feel like. My NVidia card has a fixation
with HDMI, and if I connect a single monitor via DP, the
card drives the HDMI output instead (which has nothing
connected).

And that's why my answer to you is NO, because I've seen
fickle behavior with my own eyes.

Old analog TV sets are particularly hard to detect, which
is why, in the GUI panel for monitor setup, there are
things like "force detection of TV" or similar. It's
an admission that the hardware method is not a good one.
Usually there are special provisions for analog TV sets, to
try to enhance the odds it will work. But this does not
include any "session-to-session insurance" (why would the
analog TV work after a reboot???). Digital TV sets
with HDMI inputs, should be no problem at all.

Cards did not always have impedance sensing. We've only
had that for about 22 years or so, at a guess.

Paul

Re: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?

<ugocpc$3jpb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6948&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6948

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:41:47 +0200
 by: Edmund - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 10:41 UTC

On 10/17/23 22:13, Paul wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 11:25 AM, Edmund wrote:
>> Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?
>>
>> Annoying random switching to my TV as monitor and nothing at my desktop monitor. Happens every now and then.
>>
>> Edmund
>
> The answer to this is actually NO.
>
> The computer controls the configuration and you don't matter :-)

Interesting but I think not correct.
Computer boots, both TV and monitor shows picture including login menu.
Log in and the desktop monitor turns black while TV shows picture, that
seems like a obvious software bug to me.

--
-------------

The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get
some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?

<ugplut$3t181$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6955&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6955

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:24:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 22:24 UTC

On 10/18/2023 6:41 AM, Edmund wrote:

> Interesting but I think not correct.
> Computer boots, both TV and monitor shows picture including login menu.
> Log in and the desktop monitor turns black while TV shows picture, that seems like a obvious software bug to me.

OK, when in the desktop, what does the Display panel show
as detected hardware ? Can you configure it for correct operation ?
Does it remember the choices you made ?

Paul

Re: Any way to keep selected dual monitor setting?

<ugprf4$3u9eh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6956&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6956

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 01:58:28 +0200
 by: Edmund - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 23:58 UTC

On 10/19/23 00:24, Paul wrote:
> On 10/18/2023 6:41 AM, Edmund wrote:
>
>> Interesting but I think not correct.
>> Computer boots, both TV and monitor shows picture including login menu.
>> Log in and the desktop monitor turns black while TV shows picture, that seems like a obvious software bug to me.
>
> OK, when in the desktop, what does the Display panel show
> as detected hardware ?

If there is a picture it shows the correct hardware.
When I have a black screen my TV shows the correct hardware.

> Can you configure it for correct operation ?
Yes.

> Does it remember the choices you made ?

Yes but only for a random time.

--