Marriage is the only adventure open to the cowardly. -- Voltaire

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Iris and the GiantSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: Iris and the GiantPW
|`* Re: Free Game: Iris and the GiantAnt
| `- Re: Free Game: Iris and the GiantSpalls Hurgenson
`- Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giantrms

1
Free Game: Iris and the Giant

<m20j5h1i9vjcppioq4ahlls0e6lufng278@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6950&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6950

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Iris and the Giant
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:33:40 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:33 UTC

Ha! I got to it first!

GOG is giving away a free game in celebration of their "Indie Spring
Sale":

Iris and the Giant
https://www.gog.com/game/iris_and_the_giant_deckbuilding_roguelike

To quote the webpage: "Iris and the Giant is a fusion of the
roguelike, RPG, and CCG genres. You play as Iris, and will discover
her psyche and anxieties."

Well... that sure sounds like an Indie game alright. Looks like one
too, with an almost paper-cutter motif to the visuals, with their
sharp silhouettes and solid colors. This isn't a game for me; pretty
much everything about it checkmarks the "things I'm not interested in
(but I'm snagging it, of course; free game!). Still, that's just me
judging it by its cover; it's received positive reviews on Steam, so
for the niche that enjoys this sort of game, I suppose it's well made.

Take a chance, grab the game and see for yourself. The offer ends on
the 18th.

(you know what to do)
Gurer vf ab frevny ahzore erdhverq. V'z whfg EBG-13vat guvf ovg gb
tvir CJ fbzr cenpgvpr ;-)

Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant

<s87j5hdqrisnq4b7cke1dqhsu5hhi9r4j0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6952&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6952

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:28:56 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:33:40 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ha! I got to it first!
>
>GOG is giving away a free game in celebration of their "Indie Spring
>Sale":
>
>Iris and the Giant
>https://www.gog.com/game/iris_and_the_giant_deckbuilding_roguelike
>
>To quote the webpage: "Iris and the Giant is a fusion of the

*--

Congrats on getting it in Spalls!

I don't like cartoon looking games.

Thanks for posting.

-pw

Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant

<t3cc89$mj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6953&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6953

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:07:04 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:07 UTC

>Iris and the Giant
>https://www.gog.com/game/iris_and_the_giant_deckbuilding_roguelike

Got it, thanks spalls

rms

Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant

<e7adnaVbD8NMe8T_nZ2dnUU7-QGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6955&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6955

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:42:41 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 21:42 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:33:40 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Ha! I got to it first!
> >
> >GOG is giving away a free game in celebration of their "Indie Spring
> >Sale":
> >
> >Iris and the Giant
> >https://www.gog.com/game/iris_and_the_giant_deckbuilding_roguelike
> >
> >To quote the webpage: "Iris and the Giant is a fusion of the

> *--

> Congrats on getting it in Spalls!

> I don't like cartoon looking games.

> Thanks for posting.

I don't mind that style, but a card game... I'll pass.
--
TGIGF, Passover, & USA's Tax Day!
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: Iris and the Giant

<cq7k5hhefvt313vmghqigvqi27m5pammfa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6959&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#6959

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:07:46 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 02:07 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:42:41 -0500, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:33:40 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Iris and the Giant
>> >https://www.gog.com/game/iris_and_the_giant_deckbuilding_roguelike

>> Congrats on getting it in Spalls!

Well, I had to show all these young whippersnappers how it's done!
Why, were I to let this slide, the next thing you know they'd be
trampling all over my lawn, the young hoodlums! ;-)

>> I don't like cartoon looking games.

>I don't mind that style, but a card game... I'll pass.

For me, it's a little bit of everything about the game that rubs me
wrong. Individually, I could play a game with any one (or even two or
three) of these features, but the whole combination? It's a bit much.

I mean... roguelike. I can tolerate it, but it's not a draw for me.
That genre tends to have too much fixation with repetition and
mechanics over story. Pass.

It's a Collectible Card games... I think I've explained my (admittedly
illogical) distaste for the genre. Honestly, the cards themselves are
just a different format to buffs many other RPGs use, except you
collect them directly instead of finding weapons and armor that have
the associated powers. But the card-based them just rubs me wrong.
Pass.

The main character is a waif-like hero overcoming her emotional
turmoil by fighting fantastic monsters. I know I've bitched about this
before and, honestly, I don't have a problem with the archetype
itself... but it is so fucking overdone by Indie games that I've lost
all interest in it. Hard pass.

Which, of course is another issue in itself; it's an Indie title. I
know I moan about Indie games all the time, but honestly, I love that
they're being made. I'll be the first to admit they are an important
and necessary part of the games industry, as they frequently bring new
ideas to what is otherwise a very risk-averse enterprise. But at the
same time, their lack of resources and experience - not to mention the
sheer number of them coupled with Sturgeon's law - all but ensures
that the vast majority of Indie games are average at best (with most
lucky to achieve that level of mediocrity). With so many games
available to me already, I've no need (nor time) to try to find the
occasional hidden pearl, so I tend just to avoid them as a whole. So
even knowing I'll likely miss out on some great games this way, if I
hear it's an Indie title, it's likely I'll just let it pass on by.

And then, yeah, there are the visuals. I don't hate them (I don't love
them either) but they do absolutely nothing to engross me in the game.
They're utilitarian, and even though I'm sure a lot of work went into
them, feel almost lazy when other games offer so much more. They're
solid colors also remind me of the harsh palette of early CGA games. I
could endure the visuals if there were other features of the game that
appealed to me, but added to everything else I already don't like? No
thanks.

Plus, while it's difficult to tell without - you know - actually
playing the game, the world doesn't seem all that well developed and
cohesive. It's functional at best, serving the plot and theme of the
game without any attempt at making it feel like a real place. So
that's another negative.

But I'll be the first to admit, it's rather hypocritical of me to
complain,* seeing as I added it to my library regardless (for the
third time, apparently, seeing as I already owned it on Steam and
Twitch). But I really can't see myself ever playing the darn thing.

* Arguably, it is equally hypocritical to bitch about a game without
playing it too. I've no defense against that accusation either. Still
not gonna play it, though.