"Yes, and I feel bad about rendering their useless carci into dogfood..." -- Badger comics

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

SubjectAuthor
* USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicknuttle
+- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicCarlos E.R.
+* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicPaul
|`* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
| `* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicCarlos E.R.
|  +* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicknuttle
|  |+- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicKenW
|  |+- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicCarlos E.R.
|  |`* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
|  | `* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicknuttle
|  |  `* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
|  |   +* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicknuttle
|  |   |+- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicMajorLanGod
|  |   |+- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
|  |   |`- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicFrank Slootweg
|  |   `- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicFrank Slootweg
|  `* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
|   `- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicFrank Slootweg
+* Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicVanguardLH
|`- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicMajorLanGod
`- Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topicStan Brown

1
USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tuf7ef$1v7kn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69617&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69617

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 07:22:38 -0500
 by: knuttle - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 12:22 UTC

When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery
powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such
that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<a9lrdjx43g.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69618&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69618

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:43:54 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 12:43 UTC

On 2023-03-10 13:22, knuttle wrote:
> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery
> powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such
> that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?

Depends.

On some laptops there is one or more USB ports that remain powered when
machine is off, and can be used to charge things. Usually can be
disabled in BIOS.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tufbqn$200q4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69619&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69619

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 08:37:28 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:37 UTC

On 3/10/2023 7:22 AM, knuttle wrote:
> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?

First, let's start with the practical side.

On a desktop computer, when you shut down Windows, this is "soft off".

The power supply continues to make +5VSB @ 3 amperes or so.

So your first concern, is whether the machine has a mechanism
to "make" bus power. And on the desktop, a potential mechanism exists.

Prior to around 2005, motherboards had a jumper block, and you
could jumper a port to "+5V" or to "+5VSB". The latter choice
leaves the port powered during soft off. Modern PCs no longer
give these options, and it is +5VSB as the bus power source.

*******

On a laptop, it would suck down battery juice, to make bus power.
This seems like a poor reason to leave a USB port powered for
charging purposes. A converter is needed, to go from 14.4V (battery)
to 5VSB. Therefore, a rechargeable mouse, connected to a laptop,
will be more starved for charging opportunities.

Thus, we do not expect every computing device to behave the same way.
With no potential power source, it's going to be harder to do.
The beauty of desktops is, "the power is free" so to speak :-)

And when a desktop supply makes +5VSB, it gets warm. And the
fan is not running. It is not really a good idea to run it at
the max allowed current, without the cooling fan. So I have my
own rules about what I will or won't do to a desktop.

*******

The next issue, is how is that power source controlled.

Is there a series MOSFET to disable port power ?

To this day, I do not know the answer to this.

An intelligent device, can be told to stop sucking power.
Which is one way to "turn out the lights". Windows XP
was the best at this -- I would frequently see the smart
device turn off the LED, just before the PC went off.
Later OSes do not "put away their toys", quite like Windows XP does.

*******

The next question, is experimental results.

1) Take a USB key with a LED.
2) Plug in while the PC is "soft off".
3) Notice the LED comes on ? :-)
This means power is present.

With the desktop computer cover off, read the power supply
label. My Enermax +5VSB happens to say "3.0A" meaning it can supply
enough current to charge a 2 ampere Apple device.

In the junk room, I have a dead Antec supply. The label
on it says +5VSB @ 2 amperes. This is not going to be the
best choice for robust charging. Your mouse would not cause
an issue for either of my power supplies.

There are various protocols for charging.

1) When absolutely no declarators are present,
the device will charge at a low rate. This usually
annoys the Apple users :-) Because they expect things
to work as if it was (3).
2) When the USB port is marked by a dotted-line-ring
around the port, it can be a charging port. Check
the user manual for details. It may use "resistor straps"
to indicate one of the moderate charging current standards.
The user manual will never explain what standards are
supported, which would be excellent tech info to possess.
3) USB PD standard, covers a lot more USB port options.
One of those options would be a lot more popular than the
others (up to 5V @ 3A?). And the current involved would
be "high" compared to (2). There is also a USB charging spec,
and perhaps charging was rolled into USB PD standard at some
point.

Apple Device charging, that's a "major research project" :-)
When the computer is soft-off, try plugging a USB key with LED,
and see if the LED lights and does the "LED breathing pattern".

OCZ Rally 2: Flashed LED once, indicating port power was present
Sandisk: LED breathing pattern, indicates port power present

Even if USB power is present, it's like horses and water.
You can lead a horse to water, but that does not mean it will drink.
People recount stories about this, USB crap that won't charge.
Even if the PC was running, they would not charge. Which implies
they really want to see a charging port and not just any port.
A USB mouse is not picky like that, and it is unlikely to be
a glutton (it does not fast charge).

Paul

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<127x1vtcxocuq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69620&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69620

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 10:24:08 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 16:24 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery
> powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such
> that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?

Vague answer to match vague question: No (usually), Yes (sometimes).

No such thing as one "computer" that does everything for everyone.
That's why there are a plethora of brands and models available in the
past and present. Give brand and model of *your* "computer".

Until you identify the "computer", for now use a powered USB port. That
means an energized outlet must be available to supply power to the
powered USB hub. Also, get a powered USB hub that is rated with
sufficient output power to supply power to EVERY output port at the same
time. Many are under spec to provide full power to each output port,
and all of them at the same time.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<13633ftp68eic$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69621&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69621

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 10:24:26 -0600

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> knuttle wrote:
>
>> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?
>>

> First, let's start with the practical side.
>
> On a desktop computer, when you shut down Windows, this is "soft off".
>
> The power supply continues to make +5VSB @ 3 amperes or so.
>
> So your first concern, is whether the machine has a mechanism
> to "make" bus power. And on the desktop, a potential mechanism exists.
>
> Prior to around 2005, motherboards had a jumper block, and you
> could jumper a port to "+5V" or to "+5VSB". The latter choice
> leaves the port powered during soft off. Modern PCs no longer
> give these options, and it is +5VSB as the bus power source.

For the OP:

The 5 V standby is to provide power to the login on the motherboard for
power control. The Power switch on the case goes to the mobo, it is a
momentary switch, and uses the onboard logic to power on. It can be
used for other purposes, but its primary intent is to power on the
onboard power-on logic on the mobo. This is the ATX design. In the
past with AT PSUs, the Power switch went to the PSU to flip power on or
off. ATX moved to logic-controlled power control on the mobo.

As long as the desktop PC is plugged into a *powered* outlet, the 5 VSB
is generated by the PSU inside the computer case. If the power cord is
pulled, an on-off switch flipped on the backside of the PSU, or the
outlet deenergized (e.g., power strip that gets turned off, a wall
outlet controlled by wall switch), there is no input power to the PSU,
so no 5 VSB will be generated by the PSU. Except in rare cases where a
UPS is built into the case, there is no internal battery to supply 5 VSB
to the mobo. There must be power to the PSU to get the standby voltage.

The 5 VSB generated by the ATX PSU only provides 3 amperes (*) maximum
load. A USB3 port must supply 0.9 A. If 2 USB3 ports were powered in
"off" state, that's a load of 1.8 A leaving only 1.2 for the onboard
power-on logic. Might be enough, might not. Depends on how the mobo
was designed. I would not rely on a design of low-amperage power-on
logic on the mobo to reliably power on the computer when a couple of
USB3 ports could be sucking down more than half the amps from the 5 VSB
line. To charge USB devices when the computer is off, I'd use the
charger that came with the USB device, or a powered USB hub (which
sufficient output amperes to handle concurrent loads across all output
ports, not just a couple which leaves the others unusable, but is often
how powered USB ports are designed).

(*) I'm being generous. Read the label on the PSU to determine the
maximum current draw available on the 5 VSB line. If that line only
supplies 1 A, there isn't enough for a USB3 port at .9 A to power the
mobo's power-on logic with just 0.1 left. Also, remember that
low-quality PSUs overrate their amperages.

> On a laptop, it would suck down battery juice, to make bus power.

I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
laptop was powered off. The USB devices should get charged when the
laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.

> Therefore, a rechargeable mouse, connected to a laptop,
> will be more starved for charging opportunities.

A powered USB port would have powered output USB ports whether the
laptop was on or off. Of course, with a powered USB hub, you need a
live outlet in which to plug it.

> The next question, is experimental results.
>
> 1) Take a USB key with a LED.
> 2) Plug in while the PC is "soft off".
> 3) Notice the LED comes on ? :-)
> This means power is present.

There are USB diag tools you can plug into USB ports not only to see if
they are energized, but also measure volts.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=usb+tester

I prefer the ones with a shorty cable attached permanently. USB ports
can get crammed together and next to other port, and simply be
inaccessible with a fat measuring module attached to the USB connector.
There are some the size of a USB flash drive, so they should fit, too.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<7dhsdjxrh.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69624&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69624

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:43:51 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:43 UTC

On 2023-03-10 17:24, VanguardLH wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> knuttle wrote:

>> On a laptop, it would suck down battery juice, to make bus power.
>
> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
> laptop was powered off. The USB devices should get charged when the
> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.

Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my case.

The ports are named "keep alive".

<https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tug667$245k5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69625&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69625

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 16:07:18 -0500
 by: knuttle - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:07 UTC

On 3/10/2023 3:43 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-10 17:24, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> knuttle wrote:
>

>>> On a laptop, it would suck down battery juice, to make bus power.
>>
>> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
>> laptop was powered off.  The USB devices should get charged when the
>> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
>> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
>
> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my case.
>
> The ports are named "keep alive".
>
> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>

OP: I have recently got a new rechargeable mouse. The power cord plugs
into the USB port, so it gets all of it power from the computer. So the
only way to recharge it is when the computer is being used.
There is no indication that the mouse is seeing power when the computer
is off.
The explanation have confirmed what I suspected, but as a computer guy,
I am a great chemist.
This is my first rechargeable mouse, it cost about $12, and so far has
worked as expected for any mouse. The fact that the computer has to be
on to recharge the mouse is not a problem, as with the power cable
plugged into the computer it works as a tailed mouse.
Thank you for your responses

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<df8n0ipr11fh61m4joiuopbmvcf9gab7j1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69626&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69626

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:33:43 -0700
 by: KenW - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:33 UTC

On my TWO laptops, only one usb port can charge when laptop is off.

>On 3/10/2023 3:43 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
>>> laptop was powered off.  The USB devices should get charged when the
>>> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
>>> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
>>
>> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my case.
>>
>> The ports are named "keep alive".
>>
>> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>
>>

>OP: I have recently got a new rechargeable mouse. The power cord plugs
>into the USB port, so it gets all of it power from the computer. So the
>only way to recharge it is when the computer is being used.
>
>There is no indication that the mouse is seeing power when the computer
>is off.
>
>The explanation have confirmed what I suspected, but as a computer guy,
>I am a great chemist.
>
>This is my first rechargeable mouse, it cost about $12, and so far has
>worked as expected for any mouse. The fact that the computer has to be
>on to recharge the mouse is not a problem, as with the power cable
>plugged into the computer it works as a tailed mouse.
>
>Thank you for your responses

KenW

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<i7ksdjxrc3.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69627&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69627

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:32:02 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:32 UTC

On 2023-03-10 22:07, knuttle wrote:
> On 3/10/2023 3:43 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
>>> laptop was powered off.  The USB devices should get charged when the
>>> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
>>> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
>>
>> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my
>> case.
>>
>> The ports are named "keep alive".
>>
>> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>
>>

> OP:  I have recently got a new rechargeable mouse. The power cord plugs
> into the USB port, so it gets all of it power from the computer.  So the
> only way to recharge it is when the computer is being used.
>
> There is no indication that the mouse is seeing power when the computer
> is off.

So far, the laptops that I had the chance to examine that have keep
alive usb ports, this is configurable in the BIOS/UEFI setup. In my
laptop, it was active by default and I disabled it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<XnsAFC3D954DAF00lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69628&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69628

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 03:21:51 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 03:21 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:127x1vtcxocuq.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery
>> powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot,
such
>> that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?
>
> Vague answer to match vague question: No (usually), Yes (sometimes).
>
> No such thing as one "computer" that does everything for everyone.
> That's why there are a plethora of brands and models available in the
> past and present. Give brand and model of *your* "computer".
>
> Until you identify the "computer", for now use a powered USB port.
That
> means an energized outlet must be available to supply power to the
> powered USB hub. Also, get a powered USB hub that is rated with
> sufficient output power to supply power to EVERY output port at the
same
> time. Many are under spec to provide full power to each output port,
> and all of them at the same time.

TP-Link Powered USB Hub 3.0 with 7 USB 3.0 Data Ports and 2 Smart
Charging USB Ports. Compatible with Windows, Mac, Chrome & Linux OS, with
Power On/Off Button, 12V/4A Power Adapter(UH720)

I use this hub with my laptop, minly because I have everal USB hard
drives and having power to each port from the wall makes sure they all
continue to work properly. And the two powered non-data ports are handy
to charge any of my USB devices without having to find an outlet for
another power adapter.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<1x9ug5w6oxbn0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69629&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69629

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:22:11 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 04:22 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> knuttle wrote:
>
>>> On a laptop, it would suck down battery juice, to make bus power.
>>
>> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
>> laptop was powered off. The USB devices should get charged when the
>> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
>> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
>
> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my case.
>
> The ports are named "keep alive".
>
> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>

"The feature drains out the battery if a device is left connected to the
laptop even after turning off the laptop." This what Paul and I warned
about.

For example, the USB device may not charge at all (to stop consuming
power after it is fully charged), but it just consumes power, like a
scanner that has no external power but gets all its power from the USB
port. I had a CanoScan Lite like that. The scanner would keep draining
power from the USB port, and the laptop's battery would die faster.

The OP mentioned a USB rechargeable mouse. Presumably it is a wireless
mouse; else, there would be no reason for a battery-powered mouse that
was corded. Know idea what is the current draw for charging the
cordless mouse from zero to full charge. Might not be too much, but it
still means the laptop's battery is charging the mouse's battery.

I mentioned a powered USB hub. If the OP doesn't want to rely on the
availability of a live outlet to power the powered USB hub, and carrying
around the hub and its wall wart, he could get a power pack (aka power
bank). When the laptop is off, he can plug his mouse into the power
pack. When the laptop is on, and preferrably when the laptop is
connected to a live outlet, he can charge the power pack.

I got a 20K mAH power pack a long time ago. Easily fits in a pocket.
Don't remember the price back then. They now run about $25 at Newegg.
I got it to recharge my smartphone when travelling. I could get 2.5
full charges out of it, so 3.5 charges with the one in the phone's
battery. That gave me a long up-time for the smartphone, and it was
easy to plug into a charge adapter in a live outlet when I was back in
my room at the resort, or using the cigar adapter in the car. It has a
1A port (for low[er] power drain devices) and a 2.1 A port for fast
charge devices. A switch enables the ports, toggles to an LED light, or
turns off. I had no fancy LED display to show [dis]charge level, just 3
LEDs to show remaining charge level. Besides using for a phone, it
could be used with a cordless mouse, and other rechargeable devices that
have a USB-A port (came with a shorty adapter cable to go to USB-C port
on device, and I threw in some other adapters, like USB-A to micro-USB,
and USB-C to lightning). Came with its own wall wart charger, and a
USB-A cable from wall wart to power bank.

Planes may have the repeater needed to make cell phone calls, but not
all planes yet have USB charge ports for all or any seats. Nice when
hiking for a few days. Part of my travel kit; however, I have used it
during power outages that lasted several days to make calls during the
long outages.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<157vcojmyjoh9$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69630&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69630

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:28:04 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 04:28 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
>>> laptop was powered off.  The USB devices should get charged when the
>>> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
>>> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
>>
>> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my
>> case.
>> The ports are named "keep alive".
>> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>
>
> OP: I have recently got a new rechargeable mouse. The power cord plugs
> into the USB port, so it gets all of it power from the computer. So the
> only way to recharge it is when the computer is being used.

If rechargeable, the mouse has rechargeable batteries. I sincerely
doubt the mouse is consuming power at a greater rate even under constant
use than can be drawn from even a USB2 port (.5 A). Your mouse is
charging while you are using it.

> There is no indication that the mouse is seeing power when the computer
> is off.

Depends on the brand and model of "computer" which has not been
identified as to whether any of its USB ports are energized when the
computer is off.

Besides a live outlet to use the mouse's wall wart charger, or a powered
USB hub, another idea is to get a power bank. See my reply to Carlos.
A power bank would have a lot more uses than just charging a mouse.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tuhr0u$2gg6u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69631&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69631

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 07:09:00 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 12:09 UTC

On 3/10/2023 11:28 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my
>>> case.
>>> The ports are named "keep alive".
>>> <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>
>>
>> OP: I have recently got a new rechargeable mouse. The power cord plugs
>> into the USB port, so it gets all of it power from the computer. So the
>> only way to recharge it is when the computer is being used.
>
> If rechargeable, the mouse has rechargeable batteries. I sincerely
> doubt the mouse is consuming power at a greater rate even under constant
> use than can be drawn from even a USB2 port (.5 A). Your mouse is
> charging while you are using it.
>
>> There is no indication that the mouse is seeing power when the computer
>> is off.
>
> Depends on the brand and model of "computer" which has not been
> identified as to whether any of its USB ports are energized when the
> computer is off.
>
> Besides a live outlet to use the mouse's wall wart charger, or a powered
> USB hub, another idea is to get a power bank. See my reply to Carlos.
> A power bank would have a lot more uses than just charging a mouse.
OP: should have identified the computer in my second post. It is an HP
15-ay068nr i7 processor.
Yes tha mouse recharges while in use through a cable attached to the USB
port. It is wireless.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<MPG.3e7681df679daf4c990092@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69633&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69633

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 12:18:17 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:18 UTC

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 07:22:38 -0500, knuttle wrote:
> When a computer is turned off and left plugged into AC, and a battery
> powers device, (mouse) left plugged in; is the USB port still hot, such
> that a batty operated mouse could be recharged?

This depends on the computer. The answer could be all USB ports are
live for charging, only particular one(s) are, or none are. This
should be in your computer's owner's manual.

You report getting no power in one USB port. If you don't have your
owner's manual, you might try the other ports before concluding you
need the computer running to charge your mouse.

Or, of course, you could plug it into a charger that plugs into an
outlet.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<1mxdzeh1jakrb$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69634&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69634

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:50:55 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:50 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> HP 15-ay068nr

HP 15-ay068nr
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165205

1 USB3 port (left side).
2 USB2 ports (left and right side).

With desktop PCs, you get lots of BIOS settings. With laptops,
notebooks, and other mobile devices, you get few or none.

Manuals are at:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10862300/model/11830179/manuals

No mention a USB port remains energized after shutting down the
notebook, or an option in BIOS to do so. As Paul and I mentioned, you
can use USB devices with a power LED or USB port tester to determine if
there is power at the USB port when the notebook is off.

Your options are:
- Use the AC charger that came with the mouse. You'll need a live
outlet for the charger.
- Attach the mouse to a USB port on the notebook when it is on, like
when you are using it, and do not absolutely need the mouse to be
untethered. The mouse will charge even if you use it.
- Get a powered USB hub you leave on when turning off the notebook.
You'll need a live outlet.
- Get a power bank you charge while the notebook is powered on. The
power bank can be charged by the notebook when it is on, or using a
wall charger (you'll need a live outlet). Use the power bank to
charge the mouse, your phone, or whatever other USB devices that
charge via USB port. Use the power bank when the notebook is off.
One full charge of the power bank will recharge your mouse many times.
- Keep a spare set of rechargeable batteries to swap in the mouse.
You'll need a live outlet to charge the batteries, but that can be \
done whether the computer is on or off.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tuiudp$2mv89$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69635&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69635

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 17:13:13 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 22:13 UTC

On 3/11/2023 3:50 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> HP 15-ay068nr
>
> HP 15-ay068nr
> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165205
>
> 1 USB3 port (left side).
> 2 USB2 ports (left and right side).
>
> With desktop PCs, you get lots of BIOS settings. With laptops,
> notebooks, and other mobile devices, you get few or none.
>
> Manuals are at:
> https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10862300/model/11830179/manuals
>
> No mention a USB port remains energized after shutting down the
> notebook, or an option in BIOS to do so. As Paul and I mentioned, you
> can use USB devices with a power LED or USB port tester to determine if
> there is power at the USB port when the notebook is off.
>
> Your options are:
> - Use the AC charger that came with the mouse. You'll need a live
> outlet for the charger.
> - Attach the mouse to a USB port on the notebook when it is on, like
> when you are using it, and do not absolutely need the mouse to be
> untethered. The mouse will charge even if you use it.
> - Get a powered USB hub you leave on when turning off the notebook.
> You'll need a live outlet.
> - Get a power bank you charge while the notebook is powered on. The
> power bank can be charged by the notebook when it is on, or using a
> wall charger (you'll need a live outlet). Use the power bank to
> charge the mouse, your phone, or whatever other USB devices that
> charge via USB port. Use the power bank when the notebook is off.
> One full charge of the power bank will recharge your mouse many times.
> - Keep a spare set of rechargeable batteries to swap in the mouse.
> You'll need a live outlet to charge the batteries, but that can be \
> done whether the computer is on or off.
OP: There is another option which I have decided on after reading these
discussions. That is to use the mouse as a tethered mouse while it is
charging, and once charged use it as an untethered mouse.

I am ahead as I will not have to fuss with a cord most of the time, and
not have to worry about the changing batteries.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<XnsAFC4AE026159Elonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69639&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69639

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 23:06:20 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 23:06 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On 3/11/2023 3:50 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> HP 15-ay068nr
>>
>> HP 15-ay068nr
>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165205
>>
>> 1 USB3 port (left side).
>> 2 USB2 ports (left and right side).
>>
>> With desktop PCs, you get lots of BIOS settings. With laptops,
>> notebooks, and other mobile devices, you get few or none.
>>
>> Manuals are at:
>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10
>> 862300/model/11830179/manuals
>>
>> No mention a USB port remains energized after shutting down the
>> notebook, or an option in BIOS to do so. As Paul and I mentioned,
>> you can use USB devices with a power LED or USB port tester to
>> determine if there is power at the USB port when the notebook is off.
>>
>> Your options are:
>> - Use the AC charger that came with the mouse. You'll need a live
>> outlet for the charger.
>> - Attach the mouse to a USB port on the notebook when it is on, like
>> when you are using it, and do not absolutely need the mouse to be
>> untethered. The mouse will charge even if you use it.
>> - Get a powered USB hub you leave on when turning off the notebook.
>> You'll need a live outlet.
>> - Get a power bank you charge while the notebook is powered on. The
>> power bank can be charged by the notebook when it is on, or using
>> a wall charger (you'll need a live outlet). Use the power bank to
>> charge the mouse, your phone, or whatever other USB devices that
>> charge via USB port. Use the power bank when the notebook is off.
>> One full charge of the power bank will recharge your mouse many
>> times.
>> - Keep a spare set of rechargeable batteries to swap in the mouse.
>> You'll need a live outlet to charge the batteries, but that can be
>> \ done whether the computer is on or off.
> OP: There is another option which I have decided on after reading
> these discussions. That is to use the mouse as a tethered mouse
> while it is charging, and once charged use it as an untethered mouse.
>
> I am ahead as I will not have to fuss with a cord most of the time,
> and not have to worry about the changing batteries.

I'm sorry, but this seems to me to be Much Ado About Nothing. Unless that
mouse has secondary unctions like massaging the palm of the ueer's hand,
the power draw is so miniscule that five minutes of USB power should top
it off. I use a Logitech M500 wireless mouse. I uses one AA cell about
every six months or so. And i am on my laptop most of the day every day.
I would guess about six hours of active motion on the average. I
proofread/edit stories for a couple of authors that publish on an online
forum, so my mouse gets a real workout some days.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<9fojc5n6myqy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69640&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69640

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 22:06:56 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 04:06 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2023 3:50 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> HP 15-ay068nr
>>
>> HP 15-ay068nr
>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165205
>>
>> 1 USB3 port (left side).
>> 2 USB2 ports (left and right side).
>>
>> With desktop PCs, you get lots of BIOS settings. With laptops,
>> notebooks, and other mobile devices, you get few or none.
>>
>> Manuals are at:
>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10862300/model/11830179/manuals
>>
>> No mention a USB port remains energized after shutting down the
>> notebook, or an option in BIOS to do so. As Paul and I mentioned, you
>> can use USB devices with a power LED or USB port tester to determine if
>> there is power at the USB port when the notebook is off.
>>
>> Your options are:
>> - Use the AC charger that came with the mouse. You'll need a live
>> outlet for the charger.
>> - Attach the mouse to a USB port on the notebook when it is on, like
>> when you are using it, and do not absolutely need the mouse to be
>> untethered. The mouse will charge even if you use it.
>> - Get a powered USB hub you leave on when turning off the notebook.
>> You'll need a live outlet.
>> - Get a power bank you charge while the notebook is powered on. The
>> power bank can be charged by the notebook when it is on, or using a
>> wall charger (you'll need a live outlet). Use the power bank to
>> charge the mouse, your phone, or whatever other USB devices that
>> charge via USB port. Use the power bank when the notebook is off.
>> One full charge of the power bank will recharge your mouse many times.
>> - Keep a spare set of rechargeable batteries to swap in the mouse.
>> You'll need a live outlet to charge the batteries, but that can be \
>> done whether the computer is on or off.
>
> OP: There is another option which I have decided on after reading these
> discussions. That is to use the mouse as a tethered mouse while it is
> charging, and once charged use it as an untethered mouse.

Sounds like the 2nd option above. If you are using an AC charger while
the notebook is on, that would be the 1st option above.

> I am ahead as I will not have to fuss with a cord most of the time, and
> not have to worry about the changing batteries.

Although some folks use portable computers as permanent desktop PCs, the
intent is a laptop or notebook is portable. You might want to watch for
sales of power banks since that is just as portable as the notebook.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tv2kbb.840.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69760&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69760

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 17 Mar 2023 19:59:38 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
> > VanguardLH wrote:

> >> I would hope the laptop designer does *not* power any USB ports when the
> >> laptop was powered off. The USB devices should get charged when the
> >> laptop is on, and remain charged after the laptop is powered off
> >> awaiting for when the laptop is later powered on.
> >
> > Well, you are wrong, because I have seen such laptops. Lenovos, in my case.
> >
> > The ports are named "keep alive".
> >
> > <https://www.intowindows.com/charge-your-phone-using-laptop-when-laptop-is-shut-down-or-hibernating/>
>
> "The feature drains out the battery if a device is left connected to the
> laptop even after turning off the laptop." This what Paul and I warned
> about.
>
> For example, the USB device may not charge at all (to stop consuming
> power after it is fully charged), but it just consumes power, like a
> scanner that has no external power but gets all its power from the USB
> port. I had a CanoScan Lite like that. The scanner would keep draining
> power from the USB port, and the laptop's battery would die faster.

I can't imagine a device which is (not) charging *and* draws power for
other purposes. It's either charging *or* drawing power (for other
purposes), not both.

Your CanoScan Lite only draws power, but does not charge. The OP's
wireless mouse only charges, but otherwise does not draw power when it's
finished charging.

Bottom line: (IMO) A non-problem.

[...]

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tv2jtu.840.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69761&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69761

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 17 Mar 2023 19:59:38 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> OP: There is another option which I have decided on after reading these
> discussions. That is to use the mouse as a tethered mouse while it is
> charging, and once charged use it as an untethered mouse.
>
> I am ahead as I will not have to fuss with a cord most of the time, and
> not have to worry about the changing batteries.

If you're willing to let the laptop sleep instead of shutting it down,
you can configure the USB port in Device Manager to always provide power.

As mentioned by others, use an USB power meter to verify that the port
is indeed powered.

Re: USB Powered devices Slightly Off topic

<tv2jm9.840.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69762&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69762

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 17 Mar 2023 19:59:38 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > HP 15-ay068nr
>
> HP 15-ay068nr
> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05165205
>
> 1 USB3 port (left side).
> 2 USB2 ports (left and right side).
>
> With desktop PCs, you get lots of BIOS settings. With laptops,
> notebooks, and other mobile devices, you get few or none.
>
> Manuals are at:
> https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10862300/model/11830179/manuals
>
> No mention a USB port remains energized after shutting down the
> notebook, or an option in BIOS to do so.

This laptop probably cannot provide power to the USB port.

If the laptop has the ability to provide power to the USB port, it
probably will have a lightning symbol next to the USB symbol, at least
that's the case for HP laptops.

[...]