From: ammamm...@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: two problems on the new pc
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 14:59:49 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:59 UTC

hi there

the (new) computer is connected to a domain

logging in with the local user there are no problems

logging in with the domain user, two issues that were present in the
old computer are back:

- “There are currently no power options available” when I click on the
system shutdown button
- disk C: is not displayed in the explorer (but regularly accessible
writing C: in the address bar)

According to google, both are known issues since a long time ago, both
have a thousand solutions to try, none seems to work

The question:
since connecting as a local user everything works fine, I can limit the
problem to the domain user; the company sysadmin (the domain
responsible) says they don't exist settable policies to produce these
effects, suggests "check the profile", so I ask you: what to check and
where?

TIA

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\

Re: two problems on the new pc

<irovgvFrev1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54075&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54075

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: two problems on the new pc
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:40:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:40 UTC

Ammammata wrote:

> - “There are currently no power options available” when I click on the system
> shutdown button
> - disk C: is not displayed in the explorer (but regularly accessible writing C:
> in the address bar)
>
> According to google, both are known issues

hiding specific drives in explorer, and preventing sleep are things that *can* b
set via group policy of the domain.

Re: two problems on the new pc

<0001HW.29BE70D60157574670000CD0B38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69649&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69649

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:43:02 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:43 UTC

On Oct 1, 2021, Ammammata wrote
(in article <mn.0b837e5ac97cc2a1.128223@tiscali.it>):

> hi there
>
> the (new) computer is connected to a domain
>
> logging in with the local user there are no problems
>
> logging in with the domain user, two issues that were present in the
> old computer are back:
>
> - “There are currently no power options available” when I click on the
> system shutdown button

That’s a group policy setting from the domain. See, for example,
https://www.prajwaldesai.com/disable-or-prevent-shutdown-option-using-group-
policy/

> - disk C: is not displayed in the explorer (but regularly accessible
> writing C: in the address bar)

That’s group policy, too. See, direct from Deepest Microsoft, just as an
example:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/group-
policy/using-group-policy-objects-hide-specified-drives

> According to google, both are known issues since a long time ago, both
> have a thousand solutions to try, none seems to work
>
> The question:
> since connecting as a local user everything works fine, I can limit the
> problem to the domain user; the company sysadmin (the domain
> responsible) says they don't exist settable policies to produce these
> effects, suggests "check the profile", so I ask you: what to check and
> where?

Someone set these as group policies at the ADDS level. You’d need ADDS
admin access. You also need ADDS admin access to check your profile, not
least because you need access to Active Directory Users & Computers. See,
for example,
https://www.windows-active-directory.com/ad-user-properties-profile-tab.html

If you have that level access, killing a group policy is not a problem.