HOST SYSTEM RESPONDING, PROBABLY UP...

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

SubjectAuthor
* Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
+* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Graham J
|`* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
| +- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Graham J
| +- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1sticks
| +* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
| |+* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
| ||`* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
| || `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
| ||  +- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Stan Brown
| ||  `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
| ||   `- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
| |`* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Paul
| | `- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
| `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Frank Slootweg
|  +- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1knuttle
|  `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Philip Herlihy
|   `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Frank Slootweg
|    +* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1knuttle
|    |`- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Frank Slootweg
|    `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Paul
|     `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Frank Slootweg
|      `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Paul
|       +- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1knuttle
|       `- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Frank Slootweg
+- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
+* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Stan Brown
|+* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Piet
||+* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Carlos E.R.
|||+- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1mechanic
|||`- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1R.Wieser
||`- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
|`* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
| `* Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Stan Brown
|  `- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Ken Blake
`- Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1Shinji Ikari

Pages:12
Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tukqo0.138k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69641&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69641

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1
Date: 12 Mar 2023 14:23:08 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:23 UTC

[Very late response due to extended absence.]

On December 24, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
> In article <to75oq$2aa7p$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J wrote...
> >
> > Philip Herlihy wrote:
> > > A friend has belatedly woken up to the fact that his PC won't be
> > > supported in a few weeks. Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1) The free upgrade to Windows 10 was withdrawn ages ago, but in
> > > some circumstances continued to work until at least a year ago.
> > > Does anyone have recent experience of getting this to work?
> > >
> > > 2) Depending on the hardware, is there a free option to upgrade
> > > to Windows 11?
> >
> > See:
> >
> > <https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10>
> >
> > or
> >
> > <https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-21h2-download-media-creation-tool/>
> >
> > When it asks for a licence key, skip that step - in my experience it
> > will activate itself automatically once connected to the internet.
>
> Thanks! Have you tried this since Windows 11 became widely available?

[Just in case this is still of help after nearly three months:]

I just (yesterday) upgraded my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop from the 21H2
Windows 10 ISO.

I succeeded after a few failures. When it faile, it only gave a small
popup with a meaningless "The installation of Window 10 failed"
(paraphrased from Dutch) message.

I got things working by trying to make sense of the cryptic errors in
the setuperr.log file (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther).

My sheer genius made me *not* download updates in the very first step
of the installation (see 'Change how Windows Setup downloads updates' on
the 'Install Windows 10' page). Now the install no longer failed.

The install was very, very slow, especially the post-boot(s) phases.
All-in-all I think it took some two hours or more. Often I checked the
disk-access LED to see if it was still doing something, because the
circle-of-dots on the display was just spinning, but the percentage done
often stayed fixed for many minutes.

After the install, the Windows 10 copy seems correctly activated/
licensed/<whatever>, because 'winver' just says

"...
This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software Licence
Terms to:
<her email address>
Hewlett-Packard"

which is similar to the 'winver' output of my licensed (Windows 11)
laptop.

[Rewind/repeat:]

> > > 2) Depending on the hardware, is there a free option to upgrade
> > > to Windows 11?

My wife's upgraded Windows 10 syetem now offers to check for Windows
11 compatibility (fat chance of that!), so I assume that, if it was
compatible, the Windows 11 upgrade would be free as well.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Since yours is a remote upgrade, I suggest to install TeamViewer on
both yours and the remote machine, if you haven't already done so. Of
course TeamViewer will not work once the remote machine reboots, but you
can at least see/perform the first steps and view the error log if the
install fails.

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tul0tp$358i2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69643&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69643

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:08:09 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:08 UTC

On 3/12/2023 10:23 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [Very late response due to extended absence.]
>
> On December 24, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:

>>> See:
>>>
>>> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10>
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> <https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-21h2-download-media-creation-tool/>
>>>
>>> When it asks for a licence key, skip that step - in my experience it
>>> will activate itself automatically once connected to the internet.
>>
>> Thanks! Have you tried this since Windows 11 became widely available?
>
> [Just in case this is still of help after nearly three months:]
>
> I just (yesterday) upgraded my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop from the 21H2
> Windows 10 ISO.
>
> I succeeded after a few failures. When it faile, it only gave a small
> popup with a meaningless "The installation of Window 10 failed"
> (paraphrased from Dutch) message.
>
> I got things working by trying to make sense of the cryptic errors in
> the setuperr.log file (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther).
>
> My sheer genius made me *not* download updates in the very first step
> of the installation (see 'Change how Windows Setup downloads updates' on
> the 'Install Windows 10' page). Now the install no longer failed.
>
> The install was very, very slow, especially the post-boot(s) phases.
> All-in-all I think it took some two hours or more. Often I checked the
> disk-access LED to see if it was still doing something, because the
> circle-of-dots on the display was just spinning, but the percentage done
> often stayed fixed for many minutes.
>
> After the install, the Windows 10 copy seems correctly activated/
> licensed/<whatever>, because 'winver' just says
>
> "...
> This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software Licence
> Terms to:
> <her email address>
> Hewlett-Packard"
>
> which is similar to the 'winver' output of my licensed (Windows 11)
> laptop.
>
> [Rewind/repeat:]

> My wife's upgraded Windows 10 syetem now offers to check for Windows
> 11 compatibility (fat chance of that!), so I assume that, if it was
> compatible, the Windows 11 upgrade would be free as well.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> P.S. Since yours is a remote upgrade, I suggest to install TeamViewer on
> both yours and the remote machine, if you haven't already done so. Of
> course TeamViewer will not work once the remote machine reboots, but you
> can at least see/perform the first steps and view the error log if the
> install fails.
I suspect that if your wife's computer was running Windows 8, that the
computer is incompatible with Windows 11. When you apply all of the
upgrades and check for your most current update, there will be a message
in the update windows, that says the the system does not meet the system
requirements for Windows 11. You need to expand the update window to
full screen to see the message.

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<MPG.3e77fa9b62144ad4989a52@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69654&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69654

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:22:49 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:22 UTC

In article <tukqo0.138k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
wrote...

> [Very late response due to extended absence.]
>
> On December 24, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:

> > > See:
> > >
> > > <https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10>
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > <https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-21h2-download-media-creation-tool/>
> > >
> > > When it asks for a licence key, skip that step - in my experience it
> > > will activate itself automatically once connected to the internet.
> >
> > Thanks! Have you tried this since Windows 11 became widely available?
>
> [Just in case this is still of help after nearly three months:]
>
> I just (yesterday) upgraded my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop from the 21H2
> Windows 10 ISO.
>
> I succeeded after a few failures. When it faile, it only gave a small
> popup with a meaningless "The installation of Window 10 failed"
> (paraphrased from Dutch) message.
>
> I got things working by trying to make sense of the cryptic errors in
> the setuperr.log file (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther).
>
> My sheer genius made me *not* download updates in the very first step
> of the installation (see 'Change how Windows Setup downloads updates' on
> the 'Install Windows 10' page). Now the install no longer failed.
>
> The install was very, very slow, especially the post-boot(s) phases.
> All-in-all I think it took some two hours or more. Often I checked the
> disk-access LED to see if it was still doing something, because the
> circle-of-dots on the display was just spinning, but the percentage done
> often stayed fixed for many minutes.
>
> After the install, the Windows 10 copy seems correctly activated/
> licensed/<whatever>, because 'winver' just says
>
> "...
> This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software Licence
> Terms to:
> <her email address>
> Hewlett-Packard"
>
> which is similar to the 'winver' output of my licensed (Windows 11)
> laptop.
>
> [Rewind/repeat:]

> My wife's upgraded Windows 10 syetem now offers to check for Windows
> 11 compatibility (fat chance of that!), so I assume that, if it was
> compatible, the Windows 11 upgrade would be free as well.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> P.S. Since yours is a remote upgrade, I suggest to install TeamViewer on
> both yours and the remote machine, if you haven't already done so. Of
> course TeamViewer will not work once the remote machine reboots, but you
> can at least see/perform the first steps and view the error log if the
> install fails.

Thanks, Frank - the upgrade went smoothly for my friend, and without
intervention from me! :-)

--

Phil, London

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tunuto.1brk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69664&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69664

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 13 Mar 2023 18:52:39 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:52 UTC

Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
> In article <tukqo0.138k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
> wrote...
> >
> > [Very late response due to extended absence.]
> >
> > On December 24, Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
> > > In article <to75oq$2aa7p$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J wrote...

> > > Thanks! Have you tried this since Windows 11 became widely available?
> >
> > [Just in case this is still of help after nearly three months:]
> >
> > I just (yesterday) upgraded my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop from the 21H2
> > Windows 10 ISO.
> >
> > I succeeded after a few failures. When it faile, it only gave a small
> > popup with a meaningless "The installation of Window 10 failed"
> > (paraphrased from Dutch) message.
> >
> > I got things working by trying to make sense of the cryptic errors in
> > the setuperr.log file (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther).
> >
> > My sheer genius made me *not* download updates in the very first step
> > of the installation (see 'Change how Windows Setup downloads updates' on
> > the 'Install Windows 10' page). Now the install no longer failed.
> >
> > The install was very, very slow, especially the post-boot(s) phases.
> > All-in-all I think it took some two hours or more. Often I checked the
> > disk-access LED to see if it was still doing something, because the
> > circle-of-dots on the display was just spinning, but the percentage done
> > often stayed fixed for many minutes.
> >
> > After the install, the Windows 10 copy seems correctly activated/
> > licensed/<whatever>, because 'winver' just says
> >
> > "...
> > This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software Licence
> > Terms to:
> > <her email address>
> > Hewlett-Packard"
> >
> > which is similar to the 'winver' output of my licensed (Windows 11)
> > laptop.
> >
> > [Rewind/repeat:]

> > My wife's upgraded Windows 10 syetem now offers to check for Windows
> > 11 compatibility (fat chance of that!), so I assume that, if it was
> > compatible, the Windows 11 upgrade would be free as well.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > P.S. Since yours is a remote upgrade, I suggest to install TeamViewer on
> > both yours and the remote machine, if you haven't already done so. Of
> > course TeamViewer will not work once the remote machine reboots, but you
> > can at least see/perform the first steps and view the error log if the
> > install fails.
>
> Thanks, Frank - the upgrade went smoothly for my friend, and without
> intervention from me! :-)

Why is it that inexpert users are always lucky and for geeks like us
everything always fails!? :-)

Shall I tell you about Macrium Reflect Free not working [1] after the
upgrade, not even after a re-install (of MRF)!? Nah, let's not!

[1] "Unknown error. - Error code = 9" while starting the actual image
backup and nothing (more) in the logs ('Log' tab).
Installing v8.0 seems to work, but is dog slow (many, may hours for
'just' 200GB).

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuntt9$3t8dn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69665&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69665

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:35:05 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

On 3/13/2023 2:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <tukqo0.138k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
>> wrote...
>>>
>>> [Very late response due to extended absence.]

>>> [Just in case this is still of help after nearly three months:]
>>>
>>> I just (yesterday) upgraded my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop from the 21H2
>>> Windows 10 ISO.
>>>
>>> I succeeded after a few failures. When it faile, it only gave a small
>>> popup with a meaningless "The installation of Window 10 failed"
>>> (paraphrased from Dutch) message.
>>>
>>> I got things working by trying to make sense of the cryptic errors in
>>> the setuperr.log file (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther).
>>>
>>> My sheer genius made me *not* download updates in the very first step
>>> of the installation (see 'Change how Windows Setup downloads updates' on
>>> the 'Install Windows 10' page). Now the install no longer failed.
>>>
>>> The install was very, very slow, especially the post-boot(s) phases.
>>> All-in-all I think it took some two hours or more. Often I checked the
>>> disk-access LED to see if it was still doing something, because the
>>> circle-of-dots on the display was just spinning, but the percentage done
>>> often stayed fixed for many minutes.
>>>
>>> After the install, the Windows 10 copy seems correctly activated/
>>> licensed/<whatever>, because 'winver' just says
>>>
>>> "...
>>> This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software Licence
>>> Terms to:
>>> <her email address>
>>> Hewlett-Packard"
>>>
>>> which is similar to the 'winver' output of my licensed (Windows 11)
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> [Rewind/repeat:]

>>> My wife's upgraded Windows 10 syetem now offers to check for Windows
>>> 11 compatibility (fat chance of that!), so I assume that, if it was
>>> compatible, the Windows 11 upgrade would be free as well.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> P.S. Since yours is a remote upgrade, I suggest to install TeamViewer on
>>> both yours and the remote machine, if you haven't already done so. Of
>>> course TeamViewer will not work once the remote machine reboots, but you
>>> can at least see/perform the first steps and view the error log if the
>>> install fails.
>>
>> Thanks, Frank - the upgrade went smoothly for my friend, and without
>> intervention from me! :-)
>
> Why is it that inexpert users are always lucky and for geeks like us
> everything always fails!? :-)

Could it be that geeks like you have gone into the system and made all
kinds of specialized tweeks, that and inexpert is not even aware of?

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuo78u$3usr4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69669&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69669

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:14:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:14 UTC

On 3/13/2023 2:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Shall I tell you about Macrium Reflect Free not working [1] after the
> upgrade, not even after a re-install (of MRF)!? Nah, let's not!
>
> [1] "Unknown error. - Error code = 9" while starting the actual image
> backup and nothing (more) in the logs ('Log' tab).
> Installing v8.0 seems to work, but is dog slow (many, may hours for
> 'just' 200GB).

Yes, but we know what your problem is.

Maybe there's just not enough audience around today or something.

Error 9 comes from using Macrium Version < 6.3.1865 .

Microsoft made some changes to "NTFS 3.1", the "standard that does not change",
and broke Macrium. Macrium had to rush out a fix. Version 6.3.1865
would be a fix for Version 6. Version 7 and Version 8 should be
OK, and I don't think any other curve balls have been thrown since that.

Check/fix your version. Then retry. I would expect W10 and W11
to have issues with Macrium < 6.3.1865. Whereas W8.1 would likely
be OK with an older Macrium.

I had an error 9 here, so I've seen it happen.

The nice thing is, these "consistency checks" in Macrium,
are done before the operation starts, so your time isn't
wasted by something breaking half way through.

Paul

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuq547.17q8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69674&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69674

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 14 Mar 2023 14:50:42 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:50 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 2:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>

> > Shall I tell you about Macrium Reflect Free not working [1] after the
> > upgrade, not even after a re-install (of MRF)!? Nah, let's not!
> >
> > [1] "Unknown error. - Error code = 9" while starting the actual image
> > backup and nothing (more) in the logs ('Log' tab).
> > Installing v8.0 seems to work, but is dog slow (many, may hours for
> > 'just' 200GB).
>
> Yes, but we know what your problem is.
>
> Maybe there's just not enough audience around today or something.
>
> Error 9 comes from using Macrium Version < 6.3.1865 .
>
> Microsoft made some changes to "NTFS 3.1", the "standard that does not change",
> and broke Macrium. Macrium had to rush out a fix. Version 6.3.1865
> would be a fix for Version 6. Version 7 and Version 8 should be
> OK, and I don't think any other curve balls have been thrown since that.
>
> Check/fix your version. Then retry. I would expect W10 and W11
> to have issues with Macrium < 6.3.1865. Whereas W8.1 would likely
> be OK with an older Macrium.

As usual, you've hit the nail on the head. I thought about the NTFS
incompatibility issues, but thought that Microsoft would leave the
(structure of) the file system alone when doing an in-place (i.e. from
8.1 to 10) upgrade. Silly me.

And, of course, you're right, the failing version was v6.0.753, i.e.
indeed pre-6.3.1865,

As I had no clue as to the cause, I didn't try to update to a newer
version and went straight to v8.0.7279.

> I had an error 9 here, so I've seen it happen.
>
> The nice thing is, these "consistency checks" in Macrium,
> are done before the operation starts, so your time isn't
> wasted by something breaking half way through.

While I have you on the line, any idea why v8.0.7279 under Windows 10
would be so slow?

Compared to the v6.0.753 version under Windows 8.1 on the same system,
the 'Read' speed in Mb/s is *eight times* slower, while the 'Write'
speed is about the same (about 90% of the Windows 8.1 speed).

The target disk is USB 2.0, i.e. slow, but it's the *read* (from the
internal disk (C:)) speed which is the problem, not the write speed
(which is actually higher (1.6 times) than the read speed).

Let me know if you want abolute numbers, but I think relative numbers
are more relevant as the hardware did not change, only the software
(i.e. Windos 8.1 to 10 and Macrium Reflect Free 6.0 to 8.0).

Thanks.

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuq3ju.182o.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69675&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69675

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 14 Mar 2023 14:50:43 GMT

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 2:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> >> Thanks, Frank - the upgrade went smoothly for my friend, and without
> >> intervention from me! :-)
> >
> > Why is it that inexpert users are always lucky and for geeks like us
> > everything always fails!? :-)
> >

> Could it be that geeks like you have gone into the system and made all
> kinds of specialized tweeks, that and inexpert is not even aware of?

No, as I mentioned, this is my wife's laptop and I don't tinker with
that one. I'm only the person who is supposed to keep it working! :-)

Not much special on that laptop and the failures were pointing to
Microsoft components, not non-Microsoft ones.

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuqfku$f4q6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69677&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69677

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:50:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:50 UTC

On 3/14/2023 10:50 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>> On 3/13/2023 2:52 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>

>>> Shall I tell you about Macrium Reflect Free not working [1] after the
>>> upgrade, not even after a re-install (of MRF)!? Nah, let's not!
>>>
>>> [1] "Unknown error. - Error code = 9" while starting the actual image
>>> backup and nothing (more) in the logs ('Log' tab).
>>> Installing v8.0 seems to work, but is dog slow (many, may hours for
>>> 'just' 200GB).
>>
>> Yes, but we know what your problem is.
>>
>> Maybe there's just not enough audience around today or something.
>>
>> Error 9 comes from using Macrium Version < 6.3.1865 .
>>
>> Microsoft made some changes to "NTFS 3.1", the "standard that does not change",
>> and broke Macrium. Macrium had to rush out a fix. Version 6.3.1865
>> would be a fix for Version 6. Version 7 and Version 8 should be
>> OK, and I don't think any other curve balls have been thrown since that.
>>
>> Check/fix your version. Then retry. I would expect W10 and W11
>> to have issues with Macrium < 6.3.1865. Whereas W8.1 would likely
>> be OK with an older Macrium.
>
> As usual, you've hit the nail on the head. I thought about the NTFS
> incompatibility issues, but thought that Microsoft would leave the
> (structure of) the file system alone when doing an in-place (i.e. from
> 8.1 to 10) upgrade. Silly me.
>
> And, of course, you're right, the failing version was v6.0.753, i.e.
> indeed pre-6.3.1865,
>
> As I had no clue as to the cause, I didn't try to update to a newer
> version and went straight to v8.0.7279.
>
>> I had an error 9 here, so I've seen it happen.
>>
>> The nice thing is, these "consistency checks" in Macrium,
>> are done before the operation starts, so your time isn't
>> wasted by something breaking half way through.
>
> While I have you on the line, any idea why v8.0.7279 under Windows 10
> would be so slow?
>
> Compared to the v6.0.753 version under Windows 8.1 on the same system,
> the 'Read' speed in Mb/s is *eight times* slower, while the 'Write'
> speed is about the same (about 90% of the Windows 8.1 speed).
>
> The target disk is USB 2.0, i.e. slow, but it's the *read* (from the
> internal disk (C:)) speed which is the problem, not the write speed
> (which is actually higher (1.6 times) than the read speed).
>
> Let me know if you want abolute numbers, but I think relative numbers
> are more relevant as the hardware did not change, only the software
> (i.e. Windos 8.1 to 10 and Macrium Reflect Free 6.0 to 8.0).
>
> Thanks.

Windows Defender. "Bad monkey, bad". <Strikes monkey with tiny
stick in attempt to make it stop.>

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3569-turn-off-real-time-protection-microsoft-defender-antivirus.html

Things to know:

1) There will be a UAC prompt.

2) Keep the window open, with the slider control for Real Time protection present.
If you dismiss the Defender window, it will only turn the scanner back ON.
Now, pull Macrium to the front, and finish kicking off your backup.

3) Microsoft Defender would rather be ON than OFF, and sometimes
the control says OFF but Microsoft Defender is still scanning
like a pig. There were earlier versions of Windows 10, where that
bloody slider was useless!

The factor of 8 sounds familiar, as hashdeep64 runs at 1/8th normal
speed if Microsoft Defender is Real Time scanning each file
that hashdeep opens up.

If Macrium runs in Smart Image mode, that works at sector/cluster
level, and Microsoft Defender should not show the same interest in that.

If you run Macrium in file-by-file mode, it is possible the Bad Monkey
behavior is caused by access at file level, rather than access at cluster
level. from a security perspective, both are equally bad, so really
the scanning policy should be no different for the two cases.

But you know what's going on, and you can tell us what kind
of I/O you're doing to cause Defender to act up.

Am I sick of turning Defender off ? Yes, yes I am sick of it.
I even turn off Defender, to make Windows Update finish faster.

Paul

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tuqmag$gil0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69679&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69679

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:44:00 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:44 UTC

On 3/14/2023 2:50 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>    bloody slider was useless!
>
> The factor of 8 sounds familiar, as hashdeep64 runs at 1/8th normal
> speed if Microsoft Defender is Real Time scanning each file
> that hashdeep opens up.
>
> If Macrium runs in Smart Image mode, that works at sector/cluster
> level, and Microsoft Defender should not show the same interest in that.
>
> If you run Macrium in file-by-file mode, it is possible the Bad Monkey
> behavior is caused by access at file level, rather than access at cluster
> level. from a security perspective, both are equally bad, so really
> the scanning policy should be no different for the two cases.
>
> But you know what's going on, and you can tell us what kind
> of I/O you're doing to cause Defender to act up.
>
> Am I sick of turning Defender off ? Yes, yes I am sick of it.
> I even turn off Defender, to make Windows Update finish faster.

While Windows Defender is persistent, when you load your favorite
security program, Window 10 automatically stops Defender, and uses your
security program.
The way it works is you install Windows 10/11, the Window install
includes the Defender install. When the Windows install is complete,
you install you favorite security software. In a way this is good, as
you computer is never unprotected, as there is always a security program
guarding your computer.

Re: Upgrading Windows 8.1

<tusumu.hfo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69701&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69701

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 15 Mar 2023 16:19:34 GMT
References: <MPG.3e112911e70253ee989a31@news.eternal-september.org> <to75oq$2aa7p$1@dont-email.me> <MPG.3e112b0ef2dc2f59989a32@news.eternal-september.org> <tukqo0.138k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <MPG.3e77fa9b62144ad4989a52@news.eternal-september.org> <tunuto.1brk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <tuo78u$3usr4$1@dont-email.me> <tuq547.17q8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <tuqfku$f4q6$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:19 UTC

> [...]
>
> Things to know:
>
> 1) There will be a UAC prompt.
>
> 2) Keep the window open, with the slider control for Real Time protection present.
> If you dismiss the Defender window, it will only turn the scanner back ON.
> Now, pull Macrium to the front, and finish kicking off your backup.
>
> 3) Microsoft Defender would rather be ON than OFF, and sometimes
> the control says OFF but Microsoft Defender is still scanning
> like a pig. There were earlier versions of Windows 10, where that
> bloody slider was useless!
>
> The factor of 8 sounds familiar, as hashdeep64 runs at 1/8th normal
> speed if Microsoft Defender is Real Time scanning each file
> that hashdeep opens up.
>
> If Macrium runs in Smart Image mode, that works at sector/cluster
> level, and Microsoft Defender should not show the same interest in that.

I run Macrium in Smart Image mode and Settings says that Avast
Antivirus in enabled and Microsoft Defender Antivirus is disabled, but
I'll keep an eye on this.

> If you run Macrium in file-by-file mode, it is possible the Bad Monkey
> behavior is caused by access at file level, rather than access at cluster
> level. from a security perspective, both are equally bad, so really
> the scanning policy should be no different for the two cases.
>
> But you know what's going on, and you can tell us what kind
> of I/O you're doing to cause Defender to act up.

When I made the Macrium Reflect Free (Full) image backup of C:,
nothing else was running (read: nothing else *should* have been
running).

> Am I sick of turning Defender off ? Yes, yes I am sick of it.
> I even turn off Defender, to make Windows Update finish faster.

If I can be bothered, I'll have a closer look (also because the system
has another 'problem', long time for getting from the lock screen to the
login prompt, often normal, somtimes slow (a minute or so)). And maybe
I'll look into the Macrium slowness issue. But don't hold your breath,
because the login issue is not very important and - at the momemt - I do
not have enough external storage space to play with the Macrium slowness
issue.

But thanks again for your insights. You pinpointed the Macrium version
problem and gave me some pointers for the other issues. Much
appreciated.