It's later than you think, the joint Russian-American space mission has already begun.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!olcott
`* Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!Mr Flibble
 `- Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!olcott

1
Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!

<N4adnczkJ__DBGz9nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6973&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6973

Subject: Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:36:15 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:36 UTC

On 7/16/2021 8:39 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:34:54 +0100
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>>
>>> All extant halting problem proofs appear to be predicated on a
>>> misunderstanding of the following contradiction:
>>
>> I don't think you've read any actual proofs, let along all of them.
>> Why you would even say such a thing?
>>
>>> Suppose T[R] is a Boolean function taking a routine
>>> (or program) R with no formal or free variables as its
>>> argument and that for all R, T[R] — True if R terminates
>>> if run and that T[R] = False if R does not terminate.
>>> Consider the routine P defined as follows
>>>
>>> rec routine P
>>> §L :if T[P] goto L
>>> Return §
>>>
>>> If T[P] = True the routine P will loop, and it will
>>> only terminate if T[P] = False. In each case T[P] has
>>> exactly the wrong value, and this contradiction shows
>>> that the function T cannot exist.
>>>
>>> [Strachey 1965]
>>>
>>> T is indeed unable to decide P but for the wrong reason: T[P] is
>>> recursive
>>
>> T[P] is not recursive. Maybe you don't understand what the CPL means?
>
> Of course it is recursive, such is obvious even to the casual reader
> who is unfamiliar with the CPL language (a clue: read the paragraph
> before the definition of P again).

"Recursive" has a very different meaning in computer science than it
does in software engineering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_language

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!

<20210716153956.0000250e@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6974&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6974

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:39:56 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:39 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:36:15 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/2021 8:39 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:34:54 +0100
> > Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> >> I don't think you've read any actual proofs, let along all of them.
> >> Why you would even say such a thing?

> >> T[P] is not recursive. Maybe you don't understand what the CPL
> >> means?
> >
> > Of course it is recursive, such is obvious even to the casual reader
> > who is unfamiliar with the CPL language (a clue: read the paragraph
> > before the definition of P again).
> >

> "Recursive" has a very different meaning in computer science than it
> does in software engineering.

By "recursion" I am referring to a function that calls itself either
directly or indirectly; in the case of [Strachey 1965] the recursion is
indirect:

T[P] -> P -> T[P] -> P -> T[P] ... ...

/Flibble

Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!

<sJudneEu_IO9M2z9nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6979&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6979

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:04:48 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:04 UTC

On 7/16/2021 10:38 AM, wij wrote:
> On Friday, 16 July 2021 at 22:39:59 UTC+8, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:36:15 -0500
>> olcott <No...@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> "Recursive" has a very different meaning in computer science than it
>>> does in software engineering.
>> By "recursion" I am referring to a function that calls itself either
>> directly or indirectly; in the case of [Strachey 1965] the recursion is
>> indirect:
>>
>> T[P] -> P -> T[P] -> P -> T[P] ... ...
>>
>> /Flibble
>
> // program P.c
> //-------------------
> void P();
>
> inline bool H(Func p) {
> // Rewrite H here.
> // The rewrite can be in very different but functionally equivalent ways (isomorphic).
> }
>
> void P() {
> if(H(P)) {
> for(;;) {}; // If H(P)==true, P is in infinite loop.
> }
> };
>
> If there is high-level "recursive call" it is made within H itself (may be your T), nothing to
> do with P. And this is why "undecidable" is called, H will not halt.

#include <stdint.h>
#define u32 uint32_t

void P()
{ if (H((u32)P)))
HERE: goto HERE;
}

Since there is no such actual thing as Func p that is currently fully
elaborated yet there is such as thing as the machine address of the
machine language code of the C function P mine can be fully understood
whereas your leaves out to many details.

In my system H is written in C returns u32 and is based on a full x86
emulator:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott