We want to create puppets that pull their own strings. -- Ann Marion

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: GMail notification

SubjectAuthor
* GMail notificationMajorLanGod
+* Re: GMail notificationDAN
|`* Re: GMail notificationAndy Burns
| `* Re: GMail notificationKen Blake
|  +* Re: GMail notificationJames Tyler
|  |`* Re: GMail notificationKen Blake
|  | `* Re: GMail notification...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |  `* Re: GMail notificationCarlos E.R.
|  |   +- Re: GMail notificationCarlos E.R.
|  |   `* Re: GMail notificationBob F
|  |    +- Re: GMail notificationFrank Slootweg
|  |    `- Re: GMail notificationKen Blake
|  +* Re: GMail notification...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |+- Re: GMail notificationAndy Burns
|  |+* Re: GMail notificationMajorLanGod
|  ||+* Re: GMail notification...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |||`- Re: GMail notificationVanguardLH
|  ||`- Re: GMail notificationAndy Burns
|  |+- Re: GMail notificationKen Blake
|  |`* Re: GMail notificationmechanic
|  | `- Re: GMail notificationmechanic
|  +- Re: GMail notificationCarlos E.R.
|  +* Re: GMail notificationAndy Burns
|  |`- Re: GMail notificationKen Blake
|  `* Re: GMail notificationBrian Gregory
|   +- Re: GMail notificationVanguardLH
|   `- Re: GMail notificationFrank Slootweg
`- Re: GMail notificationVanguardLH

Pages:12
GMail notification

<XnsAFC98923B35FDlonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69723&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69723

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: GMail notification
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:28:52 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:28 UTC

Is there a way to have Gmail ping or make some other noise when I get an
email, especially if it is from a specific person/address?

Re: GMail notification

<ckp61i95jfg8bmaffis3tpqkr1di2c2gjc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69725&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69725

From: dan...@no.spam.thanks (DAN)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: GMail notification
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 20:02:53 +0100
 by: DAN - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:02 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

>Is there a way to have Gmail ping or make some other noise when I get an
>email, especially if it is from a specific person/address?

This would be a function of the email client you use to read this email account.
Outlook, PopPeeper (free), etc can do this. IOS Mail on iphone can do it.

Choose you device, choose your client, and then see the possibilities it offers.

Re: GMail notification

<k7h9t1FfbguU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69726&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69726

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44 UTC

DAN wrote:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have Gmail ping or make some other noise when I get an
>> email, especially if it is from a specific person/address?
>
> This would be a function of the email client you use

I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
client, in which case click the settings cog top-right of gmail, then
see all set settings, scroll down to desktop notifications and turn new
mail notifications on, you'll probably have to confirm you want them in
your browsers permissions too ...

Re: GMail notification

<17v87cxavawdh$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69732&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69732

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:31:18 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 23:31 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to have Gmail ping or make some other noise when I get an
> email, especially if it is from a specific person/address?

Gmail is a service. WHAT client-side app/program are you using to
monitor your e-mail? It should have its own notification system, or
borrow the one in Windows, or both (you can select which to use).

If "Gmail" means you are using a web browser (the local client) to
connect to gmail.com, it depends on the web browser which was also
unidentified by you.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1075549?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Notifications must be enabled in the web browser. Now it's your turn to
research. Do an online search on "<yourWebBrowser> notifications".

Re: GMail notification

<sla71i5ocul8rrfd3ss4uqv6g0gkm0nh92@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69733&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69733

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:51:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 23:51 UTC

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>DAN wrote:
>
>> MajorLanGod wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to have Gmail ping or make some other noise when I get an
>>> email, especially if it is from a specific person/address?
>>
>> This would be a function of the email client you use
>
>I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>client

Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

Re: GMail notification

<tv0eei$2gvh$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69735&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69735

From: james.ty...@hotmail.com (James Tyler)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:30:00 +0000
 by: James Tyler - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:30 UTC

> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

Why is Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, and even your local ISP providing
Web mail if, as you say, in your view is far and away the worst possible
way to do e-mail? Surely, they can save a lot of money by not employing
people to look after the web based email and the security aspects of
maintaining it. The OP is not new here. He knows what is good or convenient for him.

Re: GMail notification

<tv0hku$1lnq2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69739&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69739

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:01:00 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 02:01 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 3/16/2023 4:51 PM:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> DAN wrote:

>>> This would be a function of the email client you use
>>
>> I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>> client
>

> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

From what I've seen.
Most people these days who use GMail in a browser prefer the browser over
the stand-alone client approach.

Since Chrome is the most common used browser, it makes sense for most to
operate in that mode, especially with Chrome auto-logging on, the email
is easily accessible with a simple click if not loaded automatically.

Lol...not every one thinks like us old stand-alone email client long term
users. In fact, to most of those Gmail-Chrome browser preferred users we
are in the 'Luddite' category.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: GMail notification

<v8ucejxg84.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69740&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69740

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 03:01:35 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 02:01 UTC

On 2023-03-17 00:51, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> DAN wrote:

>>> This would be a function of the email client you use
>>
>> I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>> client
>

> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

I know for a fact that people that are not very computer savvy, find
using mail in a web browser much easier than with a proper email
application.

For instance, the browser view is the same in any computer they happen
to use. No need to even memorize the URL of the webmail, google finds it
for them. just the login/pass.

And in fact, they use other tools from inside the web browser as easy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: GMail notification

<k7ig40Fks66U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69742

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:36:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:36 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

Most of us here know, that, but as you say, most of the rest of people
think of gmail as a website, or a phone app, they've never heard of smtp
or imap.

Re: GMail notification

<k7ig9iFks66U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69743&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69743

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:39:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:39 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:

> Since Chrome is the most common used browser, it makes sense for most to
> operate in that mode, especially with Chrome auto-logging on, the email
> is easily accessible with a simple click if not loaded automatically.

I've not used it, but AIU your mailbox even works offline, if you access
it with chrome (presumably via the the evil that is worker processes and
local storage?)

Re: GMail notification

<XnsAFCA5DAAC915Blonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69749

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:12:28 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:12 UTC

> Since Chrome is the most common used browser, it makes sense for most
> to operate in that mode, especially with Chrome auto-logging on, the
> email is easily accessible with a simple click if not loaded
> automatically.
>
> Lol...not every one thinks like us old stand-alone email client long
> term users. In fact, to most of those Gmail-Chrome browser preferred
> users we are in the 'Luddite' category.

Back in the day I used Thunderbird (IIRC) and don't really remember who I
switched to the Gmail client ussing Firefox.

I didn't mean to stir up a storm. I just don't have the time right now to
do any in-depth research and hoped that there might be a quick and dirty
setting available.

Re: GMail notification

<71891ipm67k0ni7r7gr4cfojn7ugt9dsg3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69753&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69753

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:19:58 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:19 UTC

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 06:36:48 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
>> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
>> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
>> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
>> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.
>
>Most of us here know, that,

Yes.

>but as you say, most of the rest of people
>think of gmail as a website, or a phone app,

Yes.

>they've never heard of smtp
>or imap.

Yes, but I don't think having heard of smtp or imap is that
important. Many people who use e-mail programs successfully (my wife,
for example) have never heard of smtp or imap. Rather, they think
that gmail is different from other kinds of e-mail and has to be done
on the gmail web site.

Re: GMail notification

<5c891i5ruoc5lupq82pk0ha9uqefog5ogi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69754&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69754

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:29:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:29 UTC

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:30:00 +0000, James Tyler
<james.tyler@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
>> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
>> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
>> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
>> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.
>>
>Why is Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, and even your local ISP providing
>Web mail if, as you say, in your view is far and away the worst possible
>way to do e-mail? Surely, they can save a lot of money by not employing
>people to look after the web based email and the security aspects of
>maintaining it.

You are free to have an opinion different from mine. As I said, "at
least in my view."

>The OP is not new here.

Major Lan God? No, not new, but...

>He knows what is good or convenient for him.

Many people do things the way they do because they don't know what is
good or convenient for them, nor that they have a choice (did Major
Lan God know he had a choice? I can't be sure of course, but I suspect
not). That's true of computer-related things as well as many other
things.

Most people who use gmail use it on the web because that's the way
Google sets it up when they start with it, and they are unaware that
they don't have to continue doing it that way.

Re: GMail notification

<qr891ihc5v6mk2tnpj1f31m1n564s4hppt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69755&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69755

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:39:22 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:39 UTC

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:01:00 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote on 3/16/2023 4:51 PM:
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>>> client
>>

>> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
>> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
>> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
>> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
>> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.
>>
> From what I've seen.
>Most people these days who use GMail in a browser prefer the browser over
>the stand-alone client approach.

Your experience is very different from mine. In my experience, by far,
is that most people these days who use Gmail in a browser do it that
way because they are unaware that they have a choice. I have many
times told friends and relatives that they have a choice, and they
have thanked me for letting them know that and prompting them to
change to an e-mail client, which they liked much better.

>Since Chrome is the most common used browser,

Alas, yes. I know it is. In my view, it's the second worst browser.
Only Edge is worse (yes, I know, there are others here who don't
agree. That's fine, each to his own). As is so often the case,
popularity and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand.

>it makes sense for most to
>operate in that mode,

Not to me. Again, each to his own.

>especially with Chrome auto-logging on, the email
>is easily accessible with a simple click if not loaded automatically.
>
>Lol...not every one thinks like us old stand-alone email client long term
>users.

You are certainly right about that.

>In fact, to most of those Gmail-Chrome browser preferred users we
>are in the 'Luddite' category.

Probably right about that too.

Re: GMail notification

<tv2e08$23glm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69756&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69756

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:11:02 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:11 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 3/17/2023 10:29 AM:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:30:00 +0000, James Tyler
> <james.tyler@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
>>> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
>>> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
>>> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
>>> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.
>>>
>> Why is Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, and even your local ISP providing
>> Web mail if, as you say, in your view is far and away the worst possible
>> way to do e-mail? Surely, they can save a lot of money by not employing
>> people to look after the web based email and the security aspects of
>> maintaining it.
>

> You are free to have an opinion different from mine. As I said, "at
> least in my view."
>

>> The OP is not new here.
>
> Major Lan God? No, not new, but...
>
>> He knows what is good or convenient for him.
>
> Many people do things the way they do because they don't know what is
> good or convenient for them, nor that they have a choice (did Major
> Lan God know he had a choice? I can't be sure of course, but I suspect
> not). That's true of computer-related things as well as many other
> things.
>
> Most people who use gmail use it on the web because that's the way
> Google sets it up when they start with it, and they are unaware that
> they don't have to continue doing it that way.

Just about every email acquired free or via an internet provider sets up
the account on the web(their hosted server). For the latter, those ip
provided email addresses take a backseat to obtaining a free
account(Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo)
- the numbers tell the story on this population.
Discount the Enterprise, SMB, EDU, GOV environment where admin controls
email acct issuance, one is left with personal use of free(not isp
provided) that obtain those free email addresses. Including the Aisa
numbers(China blocks GMail in favor or country specific free web UI
hosted or optionally the not-blocked Outlook.com) and other continents
the personal usage still favors the 2.8+ billion free accounts using web
UI and mobile devices.

As noted numerous times with the advent of the mobile devices capable of
autosetup in their included email app(even Outlook.com app for iOs and
Android) email use, unless admin managed by Enterprise and SMB is via the
mobile device and the web as an alternate - not email clients on
desktop/laptop/tablet pcs.

While it's safe to say most people aren't aware of imap, pop3, smtp but
that's also somewhat of a concatenation way of looking at the total -
even those using email clients don't need to be concerned with those
terms - autosetup in the major email clients handles the configuration.
- it hasn't mattered if a local install-able email client(Outlook,
TBird, eM, Mailbird, Inky, etc) is available or even suggested the web as
the alternate and the phone remains the leader in email retrieval.

The numbers just are not there to say most use the Gmail web ui(and other
free web UI services) because of ignorance of stand-alone email clients
or not being aware of another way. They use it because it's simple and
easy without the overhead of managing another separate client.

In fact it's entirely a possibility that most that claim that email
clients are better options than web UI for personal use are really
holding that opinion based on their preference to manage email data
locally rather than on a web server, but since the majority of personal
email originates initially on some form of remote hosted cloud
environment that position is also skewing what most prefer - mobile and
web UI.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: GMail notification

<tv2est$23km9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69758&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69758

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:26:20 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:26 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote on 3/17/2023 7:12 AM:

>> Since Chrome is the most common used browser, it makes sense for most
>> to operate in that mode, especially with Chrome auto-logging on, the
>> email is easily accessible with a simple click if not loaded
>> automatically.
>>
>> Lol...not every one thinks like us old stand-alone email client long
>> term users. In fact, to most of those Gmail-Chrome browser preferred
>> users we are in the 'Luddite' category.
>>

> Back in the day I used Thunderbird (IIRC) and don't really remember who I
> switched to the Gmail client ussing Firefox.
>
> I didn't mean to stir up a storm. I just don't have the time right now to
> do any in-depth research and hoped that there might be a quick and dirty
> setting available.

Looks like you replied to my earlier post.

Your issue got side-tracked and digressed once someone asked if your
initial Q was based on using GMail in the web or an email client.
- thereafter the digression started once another posted
introduced/interjected that email clients are better than web UI without
addressing your original question on notification methods in an email client.

Sorry it went in another direction, even though its quite common for
threads to digress with different unrelated(to the original Q)opinions.

Usenet is what it is...just a BOG.
'Bunch Of Guys' entertaining each other on an off-topic.

Back to your initial question - without more information, Dan and Andy
gave the best answer possible.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: GMail notification

<waiuogcxkxf1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69759&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69759

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:41:26 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:41 UTC

"...w¡ñ§±¤ñ " <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> I didn't mean to stir up a storm. I just don't have the time right
>> now to do any in-depth research and hoped that there might be a
>> quick and dirty setting available.
>
> Back to your initial question - without more information, Dan and Andy
> gave the best answer possible.

Just ensuring notifications are enabled in the web browser is not
sufficient to get notification from the Gmail service (provided you have
logged into Gmail using your web browser, and stay logged in)?

In Firefox, go to about:preferences#privacy -> Permissions ->
Notifications. I don't have Chrome to check there. I use Edge-Chromium
instead where you go to edge://settings/content -> Notifications.

That's how the Google article I mentioned says how to do it.

Sorry, I don't want every damn site that wants to push notifications at
me when web browsing, so I have notifications disabled. Google says
notifications is how to do it, so see if it works for you.

Re: GMail notification

<so6fejxq8v.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69768&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69768

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 23:38:52 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:38 UTC

On 2023-03-17 20:11, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> In fact it's entirely a possibility that most that claim that email
> clients are better options than web UI for personal use are really
> holding that opinion based on their preference to manage email data
> locally rather than on a web server, but since the majority of personal
> email originates initially on some form of remote hosted cloud
> environment that position is also skewing what most prefer - mobile and
> web UI.

You can use gmail with an imap client with everything (almost) stored in
the cloud as well.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: GMail notification

<k7lf6dF4d29U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69775&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69775

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:39:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:39 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> I just don't have the time right now to do any in-depth research and
> hoped that there might be a quick and dirty setting available.

As I mentioned, there is a quick and clean way to get notifications ...

Re: GMail notification

<hctgejxukt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69776&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69776

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:10:57 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 14:10 UTC

On 2023-03-17 23:38, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 20:11, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> In fact it's entirely a possibility that most that claim that email
>> clients are better options than web UI for personal use are really
>> holding that opinion based on their preference to manage email data
>> locally rather than on a web server, but since the majority of
>> personal email originates initially on some form of remote hosted
>> cloud environment that position is also skewing what most prefer -
>> mobile and web UI.
>
> You can use gmail with an imap client with everything (almost) stored in
> the cloud as well.

In fact, one of the most asked question in the support web forum of my
ISP, which allows old customers to keep our emails there, is how to make
room for more emails because their quota is full.

So I tell them to install an IMAP client and move whatever mails they
wish to a local folder on their computers.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: GMail notification

<u059rg$13u3s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70188&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70188

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:34:54 -0700
 by: Bob F - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 00:34 UTC

On 3/17/2023 3:38 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-17 20:11, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> In fact it's entirely a possibility that most that claim that email
>> clients are better options than web UI for personal use are really
>> holding that opinion based on their preference to manage email data
>> locally rather than on a web server, but since the majority of
>> personal email originates initially on some form of remote hosted
>> cloud environment that position is also skewing what most prefer -
>> mobile and web UI.
>
> You can use gmail with an imap client with everything (almost) stored in
> the cloud as well.

The huge reason to use Thunderbird or some other such email client is so
you can check ALL your email accounts, from any number of providers,
from one place, and see if you have ANY new email in any account in one
glance. I recently had a conversation with someone who had no clue such
a thing was possible.

Re: GMail notification

<u06tvu.5k8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70190&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70190

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 31 Mar 2023 13:24:58 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:24 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/2023 3:38 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> > On 2023-03-17 20:11, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> >> In fact it's entirely a possibility that most that claim that email
> >> clients are better options than web UI for personal use are really
> >> holding that opinion based on their preference to manage email data
> >> locally rather than on a web server, but since the majority of
> >> personal email originates initially on some form of remote hosted
> >> cloud environment that position is also skewing what most prefer -
> >> mobile and web UI.
> >
> > You can use gmail with an imap client with everything (almost) stored in
> > the cloud as well.
> >

> The huge reason to use Thunderbird or some other such email client is so
> you can check ALL your email accounts, from any number of providers,
> from one place, and see if you have ANY new email in any account in one
> glance. I recently had a conversation with someone who had no clue such
> a thing was possible.

I don't disagree with you (on the usefulness of a real email client),
but, unless that changed recently, Gmail's web-client can do the same,
collect the email of all the user's other accounts.

Re: GMail notification

<n6pd2i5jbccb5soqnu0qsrmo2fhmlskd4m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70191&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70191

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:56:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:56 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:34:54 -0700, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>The huge reason to use Thunderbird or some other such email client is so
>you can check ALL your email accounts, from any number of providers,
>from one place, and see if you have ANY new email in any account in one
>glance.

I agree that that's an important reason to use an e-mail client rather
than a web site, *if* you have more than one e-mail account. However
the great majority of e-mail users have only a single account, so
that's not any reason at all for most people, let alone a *huge*
reason.

>I recently had a conversation with someone who had no clue such
>a thing was possible.

That's not surprising. Probably most people have no clue such
a thing is possible.

Most people also have no idea that you can configure an e-mail client
(all of them? most of them?) to have multiple "inboxes" to sort mail
from different senders into different places.

Re: GMail notification

<k8obt3Fgg28U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70192

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:17:55 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:17 UTC

On 16/03/2023 23:51, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:44:32 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> DAN wrote:

>>> This would be a function of the email client you use
>>
>> I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>> client
>

> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.

You've never tried to search for that email about a year ago where
someone, not sure who, mentioned their new xyz then?

That is soooo much easier with gmail in a web browser than in any email
client I've ever used.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: GMail notification

<zqt5jiao02eg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70196&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70196

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:23:33 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 18:23 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>>> I assume the O/P wants to use a web browser, rather than an email
>>> client
>>
>> Most people who use gmail do it in a browser, not because they want
>> to, but because they think that's the way it is, and they have no
>> other alternative. They don't realize that using a browser (at least
>> in my view) far and away the worst possible way to do e-mail. Any
>> email client--even the worst of them--is a much better choice.
>
> You've never tried to search for that email about a year ago where
> someone, not sure who, mentioned their new xyz then?
>
> That is soooo much easier with gmail in a web browser than in any email
> client I've ever used.

I've found the search in my choice of e-mail client (eM Client) to be
extremely good. Not only can I search on substrings, but I can also use
regex, plus I specify the scope of the search, like in the current
folder, recurse into subfolders, all folders, in just the Subject, or in
Subject, or sender, or in the body, or a combo of those conditions.

Google's search sucks. It is far too greedy, and finds stuff that you
didn't even specify. That's why their server-side rules (which are
actually searches) suck, too. Not even a stop-clause to control the
flow of a message through the filters. Rules in e-mail clients, even
the poor choices, is far superior than what Google provides at their
server. Even compared to other e-mail providers that have server-side
rules, like my ISP (Comcast) and Hotmail/Outlook.com, server-side rules
(er, searches) with Gmail super suck slimy toad balls.

In addition, with a webmail client, you get to look at just ONE account
at a time. If you want to view multiple accounts, you have to open
multiple tabs or windows to load each account. A local e-mail client is
an aggregator: all accounts in one place. Yes, you can have Gmail poll
other e-mail accounts (but only using POP or IMAP), but trying to figure
out which e-mail came through which account requires you view headers.
Also, Gmail will use progressively longer polling intervals when
checking for new messages at other accounts. First one is 5 minutes, if
no new messages then the next poll is 10 minutes, and this repeats with
the polling interval getting longer and longer until it is just over an
hour. That means if you've not received new messages for awhile,
someone could send you a new one, especially in reply to yours, but
Gmail might not poll the other account for an hour. So much for
immediacy in e-mail communication. I use Gmail to poll another account
that is rarely used to keep it alive. If the account isn't logged into
for a month, it goes inactive, and eventually deleted. Under Accounts
and Import section in Gmail's settings, currently Gmail reports the last
poll of the other account is 55 minutes (yep, pretty much the hour I
remembered). When I look at the history of mail polls of the other
account, the intervals were 69, 69, 67, 68, and 57 minutes (with the
last one still counting up since the next mail poll has yet to happen).
With an e-mail client that supports IMAP PUSH or IMAP IDLE, it gets
notified as soon as a new message gets pushed into your account on the
server; else, you can configure the mail polling intervals, like 5, 10,
15, 20 minutes, or whatever you like (1 minute is considered rude and
wasteful of the e-mail provider's services).

If you're into HTML formatting of your e-mails, Gmail sucks for that.
E-mail clients provide far superior HTML formatting. If you're into
text only for viewing e-mails, local clients are far better. The
webmail client to Gmail is going to show you HTML for HTML formatted
e-mails. There is no plain-text option to view messages, by default.

With webmail, you have to configure your web browser to allow
notifications (oh, joy, anyone that wants to push notices at you can
then do so) to see when new messages arrive, and you'll only get those
notifications after logging into your Gmail account, and only during a
web session with Gmail that you keep open (don't close the web browser).
An e-mail client running in the background can tell you when new
messages arrive, and can even popup alerts giving info on the new
messages rather than some vague indicator having you then revisit Gmail
to see what they are.

The only things going for Gmail are it is free, and they have decent
inbound spam filtering (but suck at outbound spam filtering). The last
advantage is used by some folks to chain their e-mail accounts together:
they tell senders to use the Gmail address, Gmail filters out spam, and
their other account polls the Gmail account, so the server-side spam
filters get used at the 2nd account, and their local client polls the
2nd account. In addition to compounding the spam filtering, the
server-side filters are far superior at most other e-mail providers, so
the route could be Gmail -> crappy Gmail filters -> yanked to other
account -> much better filters at other account -> local e-mail client
-> filters in e-mail client. I did that for awhile a few years back,
but decided to not bother trying to conjoin Gmail's spam filtering with
my primary account's spam filtering, especially after my primary account
got much better at spam filtering.