Subject: Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math.symbolic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 10:52:46 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:52 UTC

On 7/16/2021 10:12 AM, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 16/07/2021 14:39, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:34:54 +0100
>> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> quotes:

> [...]
>
>     I suppose one should not point out that "P", as defined, has
> "T" as a free variable, so is not a valid parameter to "T"?  But that's
> a quibble, as "P" could be re-written to have the code for "H" included.
>
>>> T[P] is not recursive.  Maybe you don't understand what the CPL means?

http://www.ancientgeek.org.uk/CPL/CPL_Working_Papers.pdf
10.3.1 seems to indicate that rec routine P means that P is recursive.

>> Of course it is recursive, such is obvious even to the casual reader
>> who is unfamiliar with the CPL language (a clue: read the paragraph
>> before the definition of P again).
>
>     "T[P]" is recursive only if "T" calls "P".  That is a pretty
> daft thing to do.  "Does this program ever halt?" "Dunno, let's find

Here is my best estimate of the CPL written in C:

void P()
{ if (T((u32)P)
HERE: goto HERE;
}

> out by running it."  If that doesn't seem stupid, imagine replacing
> "halt" by "kill the patient" or "blow up this nuclear power station".
> So a well-written "T" will not call its parameter.  This makes the
> whole argument as currently being debated moot;  if you don't call a
> routine, then pretty much all you can do with it is assign it or pass
> it as a parameter/operand, neither of which gets us any nearer to
> deciding whether it halts [or kills people].
>
>     But in this form, it also has nothing to do with the Halting
> Problem, which would not be about some "T" that /calls/ "P" but about
> one that /inspects/ "P".  So the only sensible interpretation of what
> Strachey wrote is that the parameter to "T" is the /source/ of some
> program or routine "P".  In most languages, that source would be of
> "string" or perhaps "file" type or similar.  "P" would then be the
> string quoted above [preferably with also the string corresponding
> to the source of "T"].  Once this simple interpretation is made, the
> fundamental Strachey/Minsky/Sipser/Linz argument works perfectly well
> with no question of recursion [infinite, "pathological" or otherwise]
> unless "T" chooses it.
>
>     That is why I have several times suggested, though with little
> success, that participants in this debate should be very clear about
> whether they are talking about "source" or "executable".  Simply
> calling things "H", "P", "T", "H_hat", ... does not convey this
> [necessary] information, and leads to Olcottian confusions.  Perhaps
> some contributors prefer to obscure the argument.

In my case when P is passed to P it is the machine address of the
machine language of P that is directly executed by an x86 emulator. This
eliminates all of the extraneous complexity of switching back and forth
between the machine and its description. The x86 description of P <is> P.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting Problem proofs appear to be bogus!

<J72dnZ5ploMsLWz9nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6980&group=comp.ai.philosophy#6980

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math.symbolic,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:15:36 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:15 UTC

On 7/16/2021 11:11 AM, wij wrote:
> [...]
>>> [necessary] information, and leads to Olcottian confusions. Perhaps
>>> some contributors prefer to obscure the argument.
>>>
>> In my case when P is passed to P it is the machine address of the
>> machine language of P that is directly executed by an x86 emulator. This
>> eliminates all of the extraneous complexity of switching back and forth
>> between the machine and its description. The x86 description of P <is> P.
>> --
>> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
>>
>> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
>> minds." Einstein
>
> IMO, DOS + x86 assembly is already a TM simulator.
> x86 emulator is redundant. Besides, the input of the x86 emulator
> seems have to be COFF, this would made x86 emulator not a valid
> proof machine (input and execution codes are different).

A halt decider must have absolute control over its slave process.
H steps through P(P) one instruction at a time and immediately aborts
its simulation of P(P) as soon as the next instruction of P indicates
that P is stuck in infinitely nested simulation.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein